• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Anyone offhand recall a dungeon with lots of ghosts?

Sancre Tor is loaded with them.

Its just west of the Shrine of Dagon in the Jerall Mountains. It shows up on your map with a fort icon. You might need a key though. I can't remember.

KarishBHR

I just need to gage how bad I am at this game:

I spent about an hour on the mission where I have to recover the mace thing for the wife who's husband ran away.

Is that long?

Also... with the mission for Gogan (with the ring)... wtf do I do?

belgurdo

Banned
KarishBHR said:

I spent about an hour on the mission where I have to recover the mace thing for the wife who's husband ran away.

Is that long?

It's not long...the cave is nearby and easy to reach. Once you actually get inside, though, make sure you sneak attack the bandits first before confronting them head on, because they're really hard to kill when they're going five against one on you (especially the guy who actually has the mace; it does an extra 10 damage against you per hit.)

I think that second mission requires you to go talk to his wife, then talk to some women at the bar on the docks, and everything else is self explanatory

Burger

KarishBHR said:

Is that long?

You should try curing Vampirism, that has been a 4 hour mission so far, and I'm still not done.

belgurdo

Banned
Remedy said:
you go to a farm house somewhere outside the town and beat a couple of women.

In addition to that nifty perk, there's also good salable loot in the basement too. The men's embarrassment is your gain!

KarishBHR

Remedy said:
you go to a farm house somewhere outside the town and beat a couple of women.

The farmhouse outside the town was the chick who's husband ran away though... so I dont get it... unless there is a farm at another point.

GreekWolf

w00t! Just scored myself a shiny new skeleton key. Thanks for the pointers, Mike. :D

Quest was fairly easy and straight-forward, but I wish that I had worked on it at a lower level.
Those trolls and mountain lions in the cave were a bitch to deal with at level 17, and I died several times trying to get to the underwater chest

Speevy

Banned
In case anyone was wondering, you start seeing cool enchanted weapons on a lot of bandits at levels 7/8. So that's not too bad.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just ran into a big gamestopper bug. I'm on the quest "Tears of the Savior", went into the glade, and now the door leading out of the glade will not open again. When I try to open it, it says "this door cannot be opened". There's no other way out of the glade, it's an instanced forest area in a bowl.

I think it may have had something to do with the ingredient I needed to open the door. I only got one, and maybe I needed two?

I reloaded a game (eight hours previous) and bought two of the ingredient, and now I can go back and forth out the door and back in.

Ugh. 8 hours gone...

EDIT : The ingredient was refined frost salt. In my savegame where I can't get out of the door I don't have any in my inventory (although I had one I bought when I initially opened the door).

EDIT 2: In my new savegame, I can neither drop nor eat the refined frost salt. It's somehow gone from my initial one, though. Seems like I'm screwed, and have to revert back 8 hours.

In the new game, I bought, two, and after coming into the glade I still have both in my inventory.

Speevy

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:
Ok, then, I can create a NPC that is a high level thief and steals spoons from all the houses in Cyrodiil?

I'd rather you make them form a guard-killing coalition. Or minotaurs, whichever is funnier.

IJoel

What is it with guards magically knowing you murdered someone when you do it in the privacy of their own home?!

This is so extremely annoying... :mad:

IJoel said:
What is it with guards magically knowing you murdered someone when you do it in the privacy of their own home?!

This is so extremely annoying... :mad:

If you are one-hit killing them, then that shouldn't happen. However, if you attack them and they see you, you will be flagged.

Does this game have the same bug that PGR3 had that when you put it to 1280x1024 that it would squish the screen? I can't seem to get it to look right on my monitor.

belgurdo

Banned
When I beat the arena last night, the game gave me a little goon to follow me around. What do I do with him? I told him to stay in my house in the IC, but can you give him weapons and turn him into a kickass sidekick?

SPECIAL TREAT! Morrowind in seven minutes

raYne

belgurdo said:
When I beat the arena last night, the game gave me a little goon to follow me around. What do I do with him? I told him to stay in my house in the IC, but can you give him weapons and turn him into a kickass sidekick?
He tried to defend me after I got caught robbing a house... he got cut to pieces real quick though. :lol

Speevy

Banned
It's so funny to watch regular people take on bandits for you, especially unarmed ones. I had 3 or 4 on this guy just a few minutes ago.

tegdf

Before saturday i never gave a crap about RPG's, but i said WTH and i bought Oblivion yesterday for the 360 because of all the great reviews its getting................and holy shit what an awesome game, i've played the game over 13 hours since yesterday!!!!!!

Great job Bethesda!!!!

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Ok I have a bit of a problem:

I'm doing that quest in Bruma where a vampire hunter has killed someone called Brandon and the murder is supposedly suspicious. I've questioned the wife and the guard at the scene and I then asked a merchant where to find the vampire hunter. After being told he is at the inn I headed over there. The problem is that the innkeeper won't bloody tell me anything more about him until he knows me better :( I've bribed him with my hard earned cahs to get my disposition with him up but it's reached a max of 68 and won't go any higher. I know he has a key to the guys room too because I've tried and failed to pickpocket him. Is this quest interminably broken or is there something I've missed or need to do to get him to give me the key/info I need?

Also I now have a "night vision" heavy armour helm to go along with my ring that detects life :D

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Playing the 360 version....

The Dark Brotherhood is definitely my favorite quest line in the game so far (I've completed the main quest, arena, and Fighter Guild lines and I've dabbled a little bit into the Mage's guild). Every single one of the assignments so far has been interesting and fun to do and most of all, they are quick. Not like the fighters guild where you run all over the place and stuff drags on forever or the mages guild where you need to do 9 quests just to get into the university. An expansion pack or a mission pack or something that was all about the Dark Brotherhood would be a definite buy for me.

I'm so damned pissed at this game right now it isn't even funny. I couldn't figure out how to finish the
Spies
quest last night, and I'd forgotten to save, so I had to play five hours worth of quests over again today. I approached the quest several different ways, and still couldn't figure it out. I finally got so frustrated I went out and dropped $20 on the guide, and, following the instructions given to a T, I still can't finish the goddamned quest.

I've talked to Steffan.

I've spied on Jearl and Saveri.

When I try to follow them, Jearl disappears and a message pops up saying Sevari is dead, and that I should go talk to Burd.

I do that, and talk to the bum who says she has a visitor.

I don't have any lockpicks, so I have to wait for Jearl at the ruins again and kill her to get her keys. Lockpicks are required for just about every fucking mission, yet they're almost impossible to find. What the hell is that all about? I take the keys and enter her home, and there's nothing NOTHING NOTHING GODDAMNED NOTHING in her home for me to find.

According to the guide, I need to find a cave, yet Jearl and Sevari won't ever lead me to it, and when I go southwest like the guide says I just keep going and going and going and never find it. I just can't find the fucking cave no matter where I look. Does it even exist?

This mission has serious flaws. Apparently everything must be completed in an exact order, and any straying from it breaks the mission so it can't be finished. Only problem is, neither the game nor the guide gives a clear mission order. Can someone please, please, please help me here so I can finish this damned mission and move on? Because I'm seriously about to snatch this game out of the 360 and stomp it into a million pieces. A whole day I've wasted on this.

Ecrofirt

OK, I really need help with this glitch or whatever it is.

I was playing, and I pressed tab. While I was on the tab screen, I held shift and meant to click an item to get rid of it, but I pressed tab again by accident.

Doing this caused my to levitate that ale bottle that I posted in a video on the previous page, and it also seems to have put me on auto-run mode.

I'm in constant run mode unless I press shift to manually slow down to walk level, and while this is usually a very good thing, it's screwing up my stealthing and whatnot.

What the heck did I do?

Okay something is wrong. Suddenly it takes several minutes to load and those brief loading pauses are now not so brief. There seems to be a serious loading bug and I'm not really sure how to fix this. It now happens everywhere I go....this is REALLY aggrivating.

EDIT - Nevermind...just did the cache thing. Apparently you have to hold it down until the main logo pops up and not the bethesda logo, which I had already tried. Problem solved.

"OK, I really need help with this glitch or whatever it is.

I was playing, and I pressed tab. While I was on the tab screen, I held shift and meant to click an item to get rid of it, but I pressed tab again by accident.

Doing this caused my to levitate that ale bottle that I posted in a video on the previous page, and it also seems to have put me on auto-run mode.

I'm in constant run mode unless I press shift to manually slow down to walk level, and while this is usually a very good thing, it's screwing up my stealthing and whatnot.

What the heck did I do?"

Press Z to drop the bottle, Press capslock to turn off auto-run.

trmas

Banned
Thanks for the cache tip, it worked great. Also, I'm considering starting the game over as I'm currently playing with a thief/mage mix. I'm thinking about doing more of a fighter character to go with the magic, but I'm just unsure. This is my first Elder Scrolls game I've liked.

What is a good beginning type character that isn't boring either?

Hmm? It is possible to BUY ectoplasm anywhere?

Four hours or so of searching and I've found two ectoplasms... I ran into a crapload of ghosts on my stealth character, but I think that was mostly from Thief/DB quests... maybe I should go take some of those.

ST definitely needs a key :).

You don't have to close all of those Oblivion gates. I finished the main quest with only having closed three.

I should also just add that I've been through about five Ayleid ruins type places by now searching for ectoplasm... saw one ghost each in two of them :/ Found zero in other types of dungeons. Maybe I just need more levels? (6 now)

Anyone know of a merchant that has a limit of over 1000coin?

Im sick of selling shit that says it is worth over 3000 for 1000 exactly..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
any other archers out there?

is it me, or does archery just fucking suck? it takes me like 10-15 arrows to take down scamps and shit. maybe 8 if i get to get the sneak bonus. i'm getting owned repeatedly (in the castle following the first oblivion gate), its not fun. now i'm out of arrows (went through a good 100+) and doing dick squat with my sword.

DaviBlight said:
Anyone know of a merchant that has a limit of over 1000coin?

Im sick of selling shit that says it is worth over 3000 for 1000 exactly..

Up your Merchantile and you'll be able to "invest" in a merchant to give them a higher base amount and sell your phat loots for higher.

op_ivy said:

is it me, or does archery just fucking suck? it takes me like 10-15 arrows to take down scamps and shit. maybe 8 if i get to get the sneak bonus. i'm getting owned repeatedly (in the castle following the first oblivion gate), its not fun. now i'm out of arrows (went through a good 100+) and doing dick squat with my sword.

Add potions/poisons to your arrows. Esp Burden to slow them down. I found a Bow that casts a Fear on them, which makes it easier to take out multiple mobs.

i had alot of problems with the ectoplasm too
there are a few ways to get it, you can buy it from a magic store(not guild) 1 piece at a time, but you have to wait a week or so for a new shipment, or you can go to any chapel, break into the undercoft(down the stairs) and there will be 4 ghosts.

"Hmm? It is possible to BUY ectoplasm anywhere?"

I think the chick in skingrad has some regularly.

"is it me, or does archery just fucking suck? it takes me like 10-15 arrows to take down scamps and shit. maybe 8 if i get to get the sneak bonus. i'm getting owned repeatedly (in the castle following the first oblivion gate), its not fun. now i'm out of arrows (went through a good 100+) and doing dick squat with my sword."

I get the same feeling, although, I can get off a few sneak attacks (like 3 or 4) before they notice me (If they're alive long enough).

I'd like to know what was going on in that countdown video where an archer shot an arrow and killed 2 minotaurs in one shot.

Steve? Could you /spoiler that one for me? :p

Eel O'Brian said:
I don't have any lockpicks, so I have to wait for Jearl at the ruins again and kill her to get her keys. Lockpicks are required for just about every fucking mission, yet they're almost impossible to find. What the hell is that all about? I take the keys and enter her home, and there's nothing NOTHING NOTHING GODDAMNED NOTHING in her home for me to find.

Impossible to find? Join the thieves guild by meeting a guy at midnight in that waterfront in the impercial city, then goto Bruma and goto the guy who buys stolen goods.

100 lock pick for 500 gold. Not exactly impossible, takes maybe 30 minutes.

Eel O'Brian said:
I've talked to Steffan.

I've spied on Jearl and Saveri.

When I try to follow them, Jearl disappears and a message pops up saying Sevari is dead, and that I should go talk to Burd.

I do that, and talk to the bum who says she has a visitor.

According to the guide, I need to find a cave, yet Jearl and Sevari won't ever lead me to it, and when I go southwest like the guide says I just keep going and going and going and never find it. I just can't find the fucking cave no matter where I look. Does it even exist?

This mission has serious flaws. Apparently everything must be completed in an exact order, and any straying from it breaks the mission so it can't be finished. Only problem is, neither the game nor the guide gives a clear mission order. Can someone please, please, please help me here so I can finish this damned mission and move on? Because I'm seriously about to snatch this game out of the 360 and stomp it into a million pieces. A whole day I've wasted on this.

:lol :lol
I'm sorry for laughing, but the quest isn't broken and can be done in any order. What you're missing (and you will kick yourself for this) is that there is a trapdoor on the floor in Jearl's house. Just, look down near the table/rug. :lol Anyway, Go in there and find the paper with her orders from the Mystic Dawn. Then take them to Jauffre. Quest over.

I don't find archery underpowered at all. As long as your stats are favorable toward it (high agility, marksman, a decent bow) it's no more out of whack than melee.

Hmm, thanks for the tip about buying ectoplasm.

I broke into one of the chapel's undercrofts and found zero ghosts :(. Just some insanely hard bitch who shot ice at me and slapped me around with her bare fists. I'll try some more.

Seth C

op_ivy said:

I want to use my sword, but can't because I seem to suck at it for no apparent reason. I'm level 17 and could NEVER take out a minotaur, even one. I have to run from them. I have trouble with a single mountain lion, even. But, I can take down anything with my bow and a few sneak attacks.

belgurdo

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"Hmm? It is possible to BUY ectoplasm anywhere?"

I think the chick in skingrad has some regularly.

"is it me, or does archery just fucking suck? it takes me like 10-15 arrows to take down scamps and shit. maybe 8 if i get to get the sneak bonus. i'm getting owned repeatedly (in the castle following the first oblivion gate), its not fun. now i'm out of arrows (went through a good 100+) and doing dick squat with my sword."

I get the same feeling, although, I can get off a few sneak attacks (like 3 or 4) before they notice me (If they're alive long enough).

I'd like to know what was going on in that countdown video where an archer shot an arrow and killed 2 minotaurs in one shot.

Steve? Could you /spoiler that one for me? :p

High class arrows +difficulty slider all the way to the left, I imagine. Deceptive marketing for the win!

Top Bottom