• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

syllogism

Solo said:
Ok, Ill ask again since EvilLore didnt really help me. I think he was thinking of the part of the quest just past where I am. Anyways...

Faction: Thieves Guild
Quest: Arrow of Extrication (sp?)
Problem: in this quest I am supposed to steal an arrow. You get directed towards Fathis Aren's room to steal the arrow. Once you search around, you find nothing. The game tells you there must be a secret passage then. I find and open the passage to the Grotto. In the Grotto, I explore the whole area, which ends in a room with a conjurer and a locked (non pickable) wooden door (which presumably leads to Aren's tower). I kill the conjurer, but he doesnt have the key. I have searched everywheres, but not found one. The only exits I can find are the way I came in, which is pointless, and diving to the bottom of a water chasm, which takes me out in the middle of Bravil Lake, also pointless. Help! I need to find either that key or another secret passage.

Did you find a deep pool leading to
the giant slaughterfish? The passage you are looking for is in the same pool, just not as deep
?

edit: beaten. So here's a cool sounding mod http://www.tessource.net/files/file.php?id=1904

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
alkaline black said:
Before

oblivion_janissary.jpg

AFTER OH GOD!!

oblivion_janissary2.jpg

She has become. . a man ;______;

OMG!!! You weren't kidding.

rod

Banned
quick unrelated gameplay question. is anyone playing the US/NTSC version on a PAL console? is it region free?

Zaptruder

Banned
God, you guys are making this wait so hard for me...

but when I do finally get it, it will be a resplendent experience; new 50" TV, new 6.1 speakers + amp, and finally new X360.

Damn shipping times. I've paid for everything! Including 450 bucks in shipping the various odds and ends!

Solo

Is there a way to stop vampirism before you get it? ie. I have the disease (polyphoric hemophilia), but havent slept yet. Can I cleanse myself without turning into a vampire?

gblues said:
Alternate solution:

You're on the right path; you're looking for a trapdoor near her table, I think one of the chairs is on it. It took awhile for me to spot, too, so don't feel bad! Look for "Jearl's Orders" in her basement and take them back to Jaffe.

Nathan

I just killed Jearl, took her keys, went into her house and took the "Jearl's orders". Even no lockpick was broken.
So damn easy... :lol

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
winalot said:
The PAL box suggest the game will only work in PAL60, like DOA4.
I had my first crash yesterday after about 4hours+ play, it got increasingly slower and jerkier at loading areas and opening crates/chests then gave up when searching a barrel.
I've not played it yet today but I'm hoping it's not a sign of things to come =/
PAL version works in 50Hz aswell even though it says 60Hz only on the box, manual and pamplet you get with the game.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Solo said:
Is there a way to stop vampirism before you get it? ie. I have the disease (polyphoric hemophilia), but havent slept yet. Can I cleanse myself without turning into a vampire?

Easiest way is to go to a chapel and pray at the altar. Just don't let 3 days pass before you do it.

dock

rod said:
quick unrelated gameplay question. is anyone playing the US/NTSC version on a PAL console? is it region free?
No, it's not. Videogamesplus confirmed that the game isn't region-free.

SonnyBoy

Is there a way to level up your armorer skill without fixing your weapons? I stole some slick light armor of this guy sleeping, some cheetah boots and other animal clothes that boast my skills. The problem is that my armorer skill isn't high enough to fix enchanted armor. I currently have it stashed in the pirate ship.

Pick up weapons/armor you find off bad guys and repair it and drop it.

Other news: What the hell is with all the goddamn keys you can collect? I think I've got half the country's house key.

pestul

Newbie question that I couldn't even get answer in the Strategy guide for:

If I steal an item to complete a sidequest when I was really supposed to talk/charm the individual into giving it to me, are there any repercussions? I mean, I didn't know the individual.. didn't get caught.. have no bounty. Is that it? The fighter's guild isn't going to magically know I stole something now and hold it against me are they?

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but just checking.

knitoe

Some please tell me how to get Ring of Nighteye. Ask 3 times and still no response so far.

Know it has to do with Umbra Lair or something along that line, but have no clue what or where it's located. Is it part of the main quest? Have even start on it yet. I have been messing around with other side quests for 12 levels now. :D

Seth C

SonnyBoy said:
Is there a way to level up your armorer skill without fixing your weapons? I stole some slick light armor of this guy sleeping, some cheetah boots and other animal clothes that boast my skills. The problem is that my armorer skill isn't high enough to fix enchanted armor. I currently have it stashed in the pirate ship.

Cheetah boots? Animal clothes? I've found nothing like that, and I'm 30 hours in...

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
knitoe said:
Some please tell me how to get Ring of Nighteye. Ask 3 times and still no response so far.

Know it has to do with Umbra Lair or something along that line, but have no clue what or where it's located. Is it part of the main quest? Have even start on it yet. I have been messing around with other side quests for 12 levels now. :D
Its in a chest near the end of the dungeon if you're above level 10 I belive. Have no idea if having been inside there prior to level 10 affects it or not.

.Abras.

WarLox said:
wwaaaaaahhhh!!!!

my oblivian wont stop crashing (360) :( :( :( :(

i cleared the cache by pressing A.. it still crashed... but then I cycled my games.. DOA > Condemed > kameo > COD... then put in Oblivian.. I was able to put in about 3-4 hours before it started crashing again :( :(

I read that people are seeing results by changing the settings to PAL60... does that work for US consoles also ???

I going to leave Kameo running while I sleep.. and if its still working when i wake up.. then i know its not the xbox.. :( :( :(

I have tomorrow off.. I planed to stay in and play Oblivian.... :(

Maybe you got a bad disc as I did. I can't create a new game with my disc, it gives the disc error message. So I got another copy with a friend, started the game with his disc and after the tutorial I chanced to mine. It worked, and I only got 5 crashes in 10 hours.

I'm receiving another disc tomorrow.

eso76

Disappointed that vampirism can be easily cured.
In morrowind everyone said you couldn't but if you investigated hard enough you eventually found the cure in some EXTREMELY rare book (was it vampires of vvenderfell vol. 2 or something). I hope there's something like this in oblivion.

.Abras.

After the first 6 hours of the game I understood how the major/minor skills works, so I did a new char, custom class and I'm loving!

Wood Elf Archer and Mage.

I summon creatures to attack my target and while they are fighting I shoot arrows. :D

knitoe

chigiri said:
Its in a chest near the end of the dungeon if you're above level 10 I belive. Have no idea if having been inside there prior to level 10 affects it or not.

Thanks, but where's the dungeon located? City and direction from it would be greatly appreciated.

Xdrive05

I absolutely love how intuitive this game is. I've never seen a game with this much depth that was so easy to pick up and play and know what you're doing. Kudos to the designers. You hit the nail right on the head.

:)

eso76 said:
Disappointed that vampirism can be easily cured.
In morrowind everyone said you couldn't but if you investigated hard enough you eventually found the cure in some EXTREMELY rare book (was it vampires of vvenderfell vol. 2 or something). I hope there's something like this in oblivion.

You can get rid of the disease if you have not converted in vampire yet. If you become vampire is an absolut PAIN IN THE ASS to get cured.

Most of my weekend was spent playing this game, and it just gets better and better. I advanced the main quest some, and managed to get into the thieves guild. Did a bunch of quests and cleared some dungeons. I've got decent equipment, and my skills are progressing nicely. Mainly I'm playing as a straight thief, using archery skills, and have good success. I have a bow that does fire damage that helps a lot, as my blade skills are pretty weak.

A few notes/thoughts:

*Anyone done the Dreamworld quest yet? A number of people have been talking about the painting quest, but I thought the Dreamworld one was great too.

*I'm still looking for a Ring of Nighteyes as well, and going to Umbria's dungeon didn't give one up to me. I found a chest with an average lock on it, but it contained only some healing potions. I was level 7 or 8 at the time. Still haven't killed off Umbria though. That bitch is tough. Nighteyes would be great so I don't have to carry a torch around and can use my bow when in dark areas.

*Are there any epic dungeons out there? I've found plenty of small tombs and lairs, but no really really big ones to crawl through. At least not yet.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I've only just recently got into the whole snekaing and thieving stuff, had a moral dilemna at first - should I do this? What if I get caught? How will it affect my status in the game etc.

But then I robbed someone while they were sleeping :D

I need help with stuff like lockpicking and pickpocketing though, seems my success rate is very low. Even with very easy locks I sometimes break a few picks :( Do I just need to keep training it up and it will get better or is this a "me sucks at this" thing?

When I play later I definately have to turn down the difficulty a notch or two, some of the fighting was getting over my head. Seems my spells/blade weren't strong enough for a lot of battles and since they're only going to get stronger as I get stronger it seems strangely unbalanced. Like "damn these guys are too strong for me as I am now" but if I go level up they're still gonna be too strong @_@

knitoe

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Most of my weekend was spent playing this game, and it just gets better and better. I advanced the main quest some, and managed to get into the thieves guild. Did a bunch of quests and cleared some dungeons. I've got decent equipment, and my skills are progressing nicely. Mainly I'm playing as a straight thief, using archery skills, and have good success. I have a bow that does fire damage that helps a lot, as my blade skills are pretty weak.

A few notes/thoughts:

*Anyone done the Dreamworld quest yet? A number of people have been talking about the painting quest, but I thought the Dreamworld one was great too.

*I'm still looking for a Ring of Nighteyes as well, and going to Umbria's dungeon didn't give one up to me. I found a chest with an average lock on it, but it contained only some healing potions. I was level 7 or 8 at the time. Still haven't killed off Umbria though. That bitch is tough. Nighteyes would be great so I don't have to carry a torch around and can use my bow when in dark areas.

*Are there any epic dungeons out there? I've found plenty of small tombs and lairs, but no really really big ones to crawl through. At least not yet.

OMG. Someone tell me where the freaking Umbria Dungeon = Ring of Nighteye is located. I keep on asking, but everyone seems to be ingoring me. I have no clue where it's located. Directions, please. :lol

knitoe said:
Thanks, but where's the dungeon located? City and direction from it would be greatly appreciated.
That would definitely help. I'm also in search of the Ring of Night Eye. If someone could post the nearest city and directions to the dungeon, that would GREAT!

Vark

kaizoku said:
I've only just recently got into the whole snekaing and thieving stuff, had a moral dilemna at first - should I do this? What if I get caught? How will it affect my status in the game etc.

But then I robbed someone while they were sleeping :D

I need help with stuff like lockpicking and pickpocketing though, seems my success rate is very low. Even with very easy locks I sometimes break a few picks :( Do I just need to keep training it up and it will get better or is this a "me sucks at this" thing?

When I play later I definately have to turn down the difficulty a notch or two, some of the fighting was getting over my head. Seems my spells/blade weren't strong enough for a lot of battles and since they're only going to get stronger as I get stronger it seems strangely unbalanced. Like "damn these guys are too strong for me as I am now" but if I go level up they're still gonna be too strong @_@

check your weapon health. You need to keep your weapons good and repaired or they become ineffective in battle.

SonnyBoy

kaizoku said:

This will solve your problems.

Pay attention to how the tumbler goes up when you push it. If it goes up slow then you can pick it, if it goes up fast wait. Usually you can get a feel for it by pushing each one up 3-5 times. I can pick very hard locks with only breaking 1-2 picks if that much.

kaizoku

Some help with a Mages Guild quest - Finger on the Mountain?

So I stole the book back from the mages guild to give to the other woman who then gives me a note syaing get a Welkynd Stone and go to Cloudtop.

Where do I get a Welkynd Stone? It suggests exploring Ayleid Ruins, but no idea where those might be.

Also it shows the mages guild quest for this town as incomplete even though the dude said he would give me the recommendation i.e. compass marker still leads to the guild and the guy. Will it become complete once I do the rest of this Finger on the Mountain quest?

I just came across the cheapest enemy ever. I was walking around north of the Imperial City, and I hear the battle music kick in, so I'm looking around and I don't see anything, and then WHAM from behind. I'm frantically looking around while still getting mauled, I see nothing but I hear an animal noise. So I put up my blade to block it, and it's a goddamn INVISIBLE MOUNTAIN LION. Is this a bug or did you guys actually put that in the game?

Not sure how to tell people where to go for Vandiesel, Umbria's Lair. It's South of Imperial City. I found it by swimming out of the Water front area, while being chased by guards no less. :D I just happened to notice some ruins while I was fleeing, and there it was. But as I said, it didn't yield up a Ring of Nighteyes for me. :( My quest continues.

As for people who are saying that the game is too tough as they get up in levels, and that they are getting owned in fights. I have to say, the only time this has happened to me is when I'm not playing to the strengths of my character. I'm clearly better with the bow than I am with my blade, so when I end up dying, it's usually be cause I've waded into a sword fight, when I should be picking 'em off at a distance. When I stay focused on my character's strengths, I'm usually very successful. I also continually upgrade my equipment when ever possible, and repair/recharge when ever I get the chance as well.

kaizoku

Vark said:
check your weapon health. You need to keep your weapons good and repaired or they become ineffective in battle.

yeah I do. But for example in JRPGS you unlock the powerful items as you meet more powerful enemies, but here it seems the powerful stuff is still out of reach yet the enemies have kind of powered up anyway.

Like I've seen my summon skeleton get killed in one or two blows from an enemy bandit or something. I still don't have access to more powerful destruction spells and so on, so I'm often trying to shoot flares at guys trying to chop my head off. Or I find myself low on health with no health potion and my healing spell is practically useless in the middle of combat. Yet I can't upgrade it without copious amounts of training.

But I guess its normal to be overwhelmed when its 2 or 3 on one :D

Thanks for the tip Sonnyboy, funnily enough I told my bro the same thing last night and he seems good at it with his thief, then I tried it and still messed up :lol I dunno....guess I need to practice practice practice! btw how did you run into your cool stuff? Just break into random houses and loot random people or was this all during certain quests?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Confidence Man said:
I just came across the cheapest enemy ever. I was walking around north of the Imperial City, and I hear the battle music kick in, so I'm looking around and I don't see anything, and then WHAM from behind. I'm frantically looking around while still getting mauled, I see nothing but I hear an animal noise. So I put up my blade to block it, and it's a goddamn INVISIBLE MOUNTAIN LION. Is this a bug or did you guys actually put that in the game?

There's a small settlement along the road near there. Go there & poke around, you'll find out what's going on.

kaizoku

oh and to the Bethesda guys on here, thanks for making a great game, but above all thanks for getting it to Europe so quickly, with Collector's Edition intact. Its good when people don't treat us Europeans like crap!

Mashing

Man, I've played this game over 20 hours now and I haven't even touched the main quest. I've completed a couple quests in the Imperial City, but that's it. I've been running around practing my speechcraft skills. I've got that damn mini-game down pat.

After a short period of hatred at what turned out to be my own stupidity, I have to say this is the best game available for the 360. So much to do. So much to see. So many slack-jawed Bruma Guards to harrass and
Mythic Dawn cult members to take out in one shot.
I don't even think I've really scratched the surface, and I played it off and on all weekend.

Kung Fun Jedi said:
Not sure how to tell people where to go for Vandiesel, Umbria's Lair. It's South of Imperial City.
Thank you sir. That was enough information for me to get a move on and find the dungeon. :)

.Abras.

kaizoku said:
Some help with a Mages Guild quest - Finger on the Mountain?

So I stole the book back from the mages guild to give to the other woman who then gives me a note syaing get a Welkynd Stone and go to Cloudtop.

Where do I get a Welkynd Stone? It suggests exploring Ayleid Ruins, but no idea where those might be.

Also it shows the mages guild quest for this town as incomplete even though the dude said he would give me the recommendation i.e. compass marker still leads to the guild and the guy. Will it become complete once I do the rest of this Finger on the Mountain quest?

I found Welkynd Stone in a Dungeon near that city, I did a search on web for a map so I could mark exatcly where for you, but I didn't found a full map of the game. I think dungeon name was Wender, and it was 1 real minute SW of the city.

The stones were in the last chamber on some pillars.

knitoe

Futurevoid said:
Thank you sir. That was enough information for me to get a move on and find the dungeon. :)

Me too. Thanks Futurevoid. It's SW of Imperial Waterfront right off the road on the map.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Anyone else have Speechcraft as a major ability?

Every person I run into that I can persuade, I do. Eventually I hope to have every character thinking I am the bees knees. When I come into town - everyone has a smile on their face with me and if not, eventually they do.

Dr_Cogent said:
Anyone else have Speechcraft as a major ability?

Every person I run into that I can persuade, I do. Eventually I hope to have every character thinking I am the bees knees. When I come into town - everyone has a smile on their face with me and if not, eventually they do.

Yep. I have it too, and while at the beginning of the game I wasn't using it much, I use it all the time now. Helps with getting better prices out of merchants, and sometimes gets people to cough up more info than they normally would in a conversation. The mini game is pretty easy, but can be kind of fun too.

SonnyBoy

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yep. I have it too, and while at the beginning of the game I wasn't using it much, I use it all the time now. Helps with getting better prices out of merchants, and sometimes gets people to cough up more info than they normally would in a conversation. The mini game is pretty easy, but can be kind of fun too.

I have a spell a charm spell that in conjunction with my improved speachcraft skills (thanks DrC) has everyone bending over for luva luva. :D

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Okay, I've completed the main quests, or at least think I have. Spring Break is over, and I've got to get back to engineering stuff, so if not I'm going to pretend. I'll do some misc stuff in the Summer.

The game is great, but here's a couple minor improvements that could be made:

1. Torch hot key. Yes you can do the numpad thing, but when that particular torch dies, so does the hot key. When I'm going in and out of dungeons, it gets a little annoying to keep going through the inventory to get the torch. Reminds me of Vagrant Story. At least I have keyboard, mouse, which speeds things up.

2. Friendly fire. I have like 250 saves because anything time was group battle, I'd frequently accidently attack a friend and it be considered murder. I'd have a 2h or 1h sword, do a power attack, and some guy would run in front of me.

I think that's it. The game has very few flaws.

teh_pwn said:
1. Torch hot key. Yes you can do the numpad thing, but when that particular torch dies, so does the hot key. When I'm going in and out of dungeons, it gets a little annoying to keep going through the inventory to get the torch. Reminds me of Vagrant Story. At least I have keyboard, mouse, which speeds things up.

I'm playing the X360 version, but I'm guessing it works the same. I hotkeyed an entire stack of torches, and when one dies, I just hit the d-pad again, and another one comes up. I'd imagine the PC version works the same way.

.Abras.

teh_pwn,

How many hours did you take on the main quest?

After you "finish the game" can you come back to start guild quest? Are they going to be too easy because you already "strong"?

And the last one:
Can you complete all the quests (arena -> fighter -> mage -> thief -> dark guilds) with only one character?

I'm asking all this because I really want to get all the achieviments on this game.

Zaptruder

Banned
alkaline black said:
Before

oblivion_janissary.jpg

AFTER OH GOD!!

oblivion_janissary2.jpg

She has become. . a man ;______;

OMG LOL!

So does your character EVER revert back to their original form? Kinda a kick in the face for bethesda to go alter your character irrevocably for the worse like that. Seriously, Steve, Vark, do you see this shit? WHY DO YOU HATE BEAUTIFUL WOMEN?!

On a more serious note, does this game have dual wielding in it?

Top Bottom