• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

gblues

Banned
kaizoku said:
Some help with a Mages Guild quest - Finger on the Mountain?

So I stole the book back from the mages guild to give to the other woman who then gives me a note syaing get a Welkynd Stone and go to Cloudtop.

Where do I get a Welkynd Stone? It suggests exploring Ayleid Ruins, but no idea where those might be.

Also it shows the mages guild quest for this town as incomplete even though the dude said he would give me the recommendation i.e. compass marker still leads to the guild and the guy. Will it become complete once I do the rest of this Finger on the Mountain quest?

Yes. Your map should have an Elvish Ruin marked on it that you haven't actually visited (it'll be black-on-white instead of the white-on-black of the visited icons). Mine was far east of the Imperial City. Anyway, hike out there and you'll find the Welkynd stone. Then go buy a cheap shock-on-others spell from the Mages Guild, go back to the Cloud Top spot, and zap that rock from close range.

Nathan

knitoe

Owned. Kill Umbra, open chest, and got stupid +8 spellcraft amulet instead Ring of Nighteye I am looking for. Guess loot must be random base on your level.

knitoe said:
Owned. Kill Umbra, open chest, and got stupid +8 spellcraft amulet instead Ring of Nighteye I am looking for. Guess loot must be random base on your level.

Where was the chest? Is there one in Umbra's lair? I've cleared the whole dungeon except her. When I approach her, she just says "Leave, while you still can." And she doesn't attack me unless I attack her. Which of course, is foolhardy with the equipment I have at the moment. :)

But, I can explore around her lair, but I didn't find any chests down there. Is there one in her lair itself? The bottom most area?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm playing the X360 version, but I'm guessing it works the same. I hotkeyed an entire stack of torches, and when one dies, I just hit the d-pad again, and another one comes up. I'd imagine the PC version works the same way.

I hardly ever use torches. I cast Night Eye if I want to see for a moment. I don't like having the torch out because I don't want to be seen.

Dr_Cogent said:
I hardly ever use torches. I cast Night Eye if I want to see for a moment. I don't like having the torch out because I don't want to be seen.

Yeah, I hate the torch, but I don't have a Night Eye as a spell or ability. Haven't found the ring yet either. I'd go torchless in a second if I had the ring. I've seen some spells to purchase, but they are far and above my skill rank to cast however.

SonnyBoy

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yeah, I hate the torch, but I don't have a Night Eye as a spell or ability. Haven't found the ring yet either. I'd go torchless in a second if I had the ring. I've seen some spells to purchase, but they are far and above my skill rank to cast however.

Just get one within your rank and cast it over and over until it brings your rank up. I had to level up to continue through my mage quest.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Where can I buy the cheap, low level version of the spell?

Just hit up every person in every mage guild. Eventually you will find it. I can't remember where I got the Night Eye.

Also, I do what Sonny does as well. I will sit there and cast the same spell over and over just to level it up. Once my Majika runs out, I just hit the back button and wait an hour to get all of it back.

Solo

Baron Aloha said:
Easiest way is to go to a chapel and pray at the altar. Just don't let 3 days pass before you do it.

It wont let me anymore! It says "repent your crimes", yet I have 0 bounty and no stolen goods on me. How can I get it to allow me to pray again?

IJoel

SteveMeister said:
Not only that, it's #10 in the top selling book list on Amazon.com as I type this.

I have to wonder if you guys have gotten any idea of the sales of the game during the past week. GRAW sold, I think, 240K in the first week for the X360 alone. I expect Oblivion to be around the same or possibly surpass it.

Very well deserved though... it's been a very long time since I played a game that gripped me this badly.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Steve, I'm wondering if you can explain something for me...

A lot of people are saying that Personality/Speechcraft are pretty much useless in this game (especially when compared to Morrowind) but I have been building up my personality attribute since I first started my character (an Imperial btw) and I think its really starting to pay off but I am not sure.

For instance, I can rob someone in broad daylight (not a guard though) and the guard will say "you are in big trouble...but we are friends so I'll pay the fine and let it slide". Plus I get to keep the stolen goods. The thing is, I just completed the main quest when this started happening and I hadn't tried to rob anyone before that for quite a while so I'm wondering if its my Personality/Speechcraft (which are both at like 95 right now) or my fame vs infamy (70 vs 13 or thereabouts atm).

If the answer is "a little bit of both"... can you specify which one its more of?

knitoe

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Where was the chest? Is there one in Umbra's lair? I've cleared the whole dungeon except her. When I approach her, she just says "Leave, while you still can." And she doesn't attack me unless I attack her. Which of course, is foolhardy with the equipment I have at the moment. :)

But, I can explore around her lair, but I didn't find any chests down there. Is there one in her lair itself? The bottom most area?

Yeah, it's in lair (area) where you see Umbra. If I remember correctly, it's sitting against a pillar. There's a table with crap to right of it.

knitoe said:
Yeah, it's in lair (area) where you see Umbra. If I remember correctly, it's sitting against a pillar. There's a table with crap to right of it.

Sweet. Thanks for the info! I must have missed it, which means there is a chance for me to get the Night Eyes Ring after all! :)

knitoe

3rdman said:
Which dungeon is Umbra in? I've already beat her and use the weapon all the time (thats not dangerous, is it?)...

Dungeon name: Vindasel. It's across the lake SW of Imperial Waterfront. Right off the road on map.

Is Umbra part of a quest? What's the quest name and which city do you get it in if so? I'd prefer to actually have the quest before raiding the dungeon if at all possible.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Futurevoid said:
Is Umbra part of a quest? What's the quest name and which city do you get it in if so? I'd prefer to actually have the quest before raiding the dungeon if at all possible.

Umbra's part of a Daedric Shrine quest (Clavicus Vile's to be precise). Those are fun and have great rewards -- just find a shrine & talk to the followers there to find out what you need to do to get the quest.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
My uncle saw Oblivion last night, and decided today he couldn't wait any longer to get a 360. We just swooped in at Target after calling them and he picked up a Premium Pack, extra controller, GRAW and Oblivion! w00t!

I'm stoked and I wasn't even the one buying it!

3rdman

SteveMeister said:
Umbra's part of a Daedric Shrine quest (Clavicus Vile's to be precise). Those are fun and have great rewards -- just find a shrine & talk to the followers there to find out what you need to do to get the quest.

Since I've already beaten her, does that mean I can't do that quest later? BTW, congrats on the best game I've ever played...really.

If it is any consolation, I also got a Greater Ring of Nighteye later during an actual mainline quest... though that was probably random (and seemingly did the same thing as the Base ring).

I got it off a Mythic Dawn cult member when I met with them in the sewer(with Baurus) to get the third and fourth portions of the book

Xdrive05

Dr_Cogent said:
My uncle saw Oblivion last night, and decided today he couldn't wait any longer to get a 360. We just swooped in at Target after calling them and he picked up a Premium Pack, extra controller, GRAW and Oblivion! w00t!

Wow, nice purchase! That's some good stuff right there.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
3rdman said:
Since I've already beaten her, does that mean I can't do that quest later? BTW, congrats on the best game I've ever played...really.

You can still do the quest --
Clavicus Vile wants you to go get the sword for him.

Dr_Cogent said:

Proof that Oblivion is a system seller! :)

Nutter

So here i am getting tired of no good weapons to use.. (i have umbra's sword) but being greedy; i want more powerful weapons. :O

I go to the Fighter's guild in Choral( i think).. and upstairs there is a glass sword in a hard lock case.. me being evil and all i proceed to kill each killable NPC in the guild(not only that i had to face tons of guards too) at night time and proceed to open the lock.. The sword was
a fake
. :( :lol

Leatherface

I think I botched my quest where I'm suppose to take
Baurus through the sewers to meet up with a Mythic Dawn member for the books
. I ran up ahead and he disappeared. Is there any way to reset the quest?

Nutter said:
So here i am getting tired of no good weapons to use.. (i have umbra's sword) but being greedy; i want more powerful weapons. :O

I go to the Fighter's guild in Choral( i think).. and upstairs there is a glass sword in a hard lock case.. me being evil and all i proceed to kill each killable NPC in the guild(not only that i had to face tons of guards too) at night time and proceed to open the lock.. The sword was a fake. :( :lol
I was going to steal it too, thanks for warning me.

Thank you Steve. I'm on the Azure Daedric Quest at the moment which I heard about from a conversation in Cheydinhal. I'll be sure to search around for Umbra's quest.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Benadryl Hitman said:
Has anyone figured out how to buy houses that are for sale? I don't see anyone in the town that are actually selling the houses.

Get in good with the count or countess of the town by doing quests for them. They will then tell you how to purchase a house in their town. Honestly though, most houses are a rip off (they're usually 20,000). For 5k, you can get a haunted house that after a quest string, is cleared out, cleaned up, and ready to use. It's totally worth it.

FinFan

Question Steve..

I joined the Mage's guild and went out to find Enthor. When I found him I got close and hit the A button a lttile too fast. I didn't realize I was crouched and tried to pick his pocket. So I got kicked from the guild. I went back to the guild's quarters and he followed me. He went upstairs and disappeared. I figured I got screwed so I left.

I fast traveled to the Imperial city. I hadn't been there yet and wanted to check out the arena. When I get off my horse this guy is still following me. Everywhere I go this jackass is there. He keeps saying he can't wait to get back inside the walls of the city but when I go there he just stands outside and won't go in?

So I went to Chorrol (sp?) and talked with some guy who says I need dragons tongues and some special flowers to get back in the Mage's guild. Is there any other way to shake this guy short of killing him?

I think programming the game to know that I wouldn't be pick pocketing the guy I need to follow me back would have saved me a lot trouble.

Other than that I'm really enjoying the game, this is my first RPG and I never thought I would be into this sort of game. Great Job!

GhaleonEB

From this thread:

Oblivion debuts at #1 in the Uk. The 360 version accounts for 56% of sales. 2nd fastest-selling 360 game behind GRAW in the UK.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Proof that Oblivion is a system seller! :)

My neighbor just bought a 360 just for this game (the system is in transit). My copy of Oblivion is in the mail, and I'm going to chase down a 360 next week (I hope). Anecdotal, but it does point to lots of folks wanting the 360 for this game.

belgurdo

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
*Anyone done the Dreamworld quest yet? A number of people have been talking about the painting quest, but I thought the Dreamworld one was great too.

Yeah, the dreamworld is awesome. It's one of the few dungeons where you actually have to use your brain to clear it. I wish more of them were like that

belgurdo said:
Yeah, the dreamworld is awesome. It's one of the few dungeons where you actually have to use your brain to clear it. I wish more of them were like that

Exactly what I thought. It was very cool, and different. I was surprised that I hadn't heard more people talking about it, considering the popularity of the painter quest.

Top Bottom