• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Exactly what I thought. It was very cool, and different. I was surprised that I hadn't heard more people talking about it, considering the popularity of the painter quest.

That's what I really liked about it. It wasn't just a "go here, kill everyone" or "go over there, collect this thing, then kill everyone" sort of quest. It was a brain teaser, and that was really impressive.

My other favorite quest is the whodunit quest for the dark brotherhood. Anyone who's done the quest yet knows what i mean :)

Unison

TheTrin said:
My other favorite quest is the whodunit quest for the dark brotherhood. Anyone who's done the quest yet knows what i mean :)

Yeah, this quest was so awesome. It only took me like 2 minutes to accomplish, but it was ultra-satsifying anyhow. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Unison said:
Yeah, this quest was so awesome. It only took me like 2 minutes to accomplish, but it was ultra-satsifying anyhow. :D

Stalking them and making sure they were concealed was ultra satisfying. I also used the sufferthorn, so they went flying when I slashed them. :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
TheTrin said:
Stalking them and making sure they were concealed was ultra satisfying. I also used the sufferthorn, so they went flying when I slashed them. :p
did any of you make the nord go beserk, thinking the old lady was the killer, and kill her with one KO punch? then only to go down in the basement and have a victory drink. :lol

WarLox

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Exactly what I thought. It was very cool, and different. I was surprised that I hadn't heard more people talking about it, considering the popularity of the painter quest.

it was too easy.. I just rushed the "traps" .. but what sucked was... saving the guy wasn't enough for a recommendation... that old hag wanted me to do another task to "prove myself" ... while she sat there reading a bool :lol

Are you guys typically playing all the guild quests with the same character or different characters? For instance, I have a Blade/Heavy Weapons/Conjouring/Restoration guy that does great in the Fighters guild, Mage's Guild, and the Arena, but I just don't see how it's possible to do Theif's guild and Dark Brotherhood with no real sneak skills.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
How I know that I've been playing too much Oblivion:

1) My save file says 26 hours 33 mins of play time.

2) My hands are KILLING ME on Monday morning due to the repetative stress of holding my 360 controller all weekend long.

My Orc warrior/mage custom is now level 18 (or maybe 19). I agree with previous posts talking about the difficulty ramping up too much at the higher levels. I can barely take out a Land Dreugh and have to drink several health potions to do so. I finally took the difficulty slider down a couple of notches and this seems to have helped.

I've also had 4 crashes (all when a new area is loading in, usually going from outside to inside a building) and 1 "dirty disc" error, all of which required me to turn the 360 off and back on again. I've cleared the hard drive cache once but this didn't fix it. I guess not all bugs were caught in QA.

Awesome game, though, and despite its flaws, might be the best game I've ever played, or close. Some stuff, like the first 3 Dark Brotherhood missions (all I've done so far), is just amazing.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Here's a question, does the loot level up as you get stronger too? For example the pirate ship mentioned in this thread near the imperial city, it has decent loot in it. But what if I had left it untouched and came to loot it when I was like level 30? Would the loot be much more impressive?

Also the stuff you find in the various guilds boxes and crates lying around, do they re-generate or level up as you go? Wondering if I should have held back grabbing everything asap in case it gets more impressive later on. Any insight/info is appreciated.

WarLox

how did you level up so fast.. I'm lvl 3 with 20-25hrs playing time.. I closed the first gate.. and now i'm trying to join the mage's guild.. I havent did that much fighting.. because not many situations called for that yet..

ALSO my 360 was freezing like crazy yesterday.. and it only happened with Oblivian... I thought it was in a well vented area.. but i guess it wasnt.. so this morning before i started playing.. I truned my 360 backwards.. so that the disc drive faced the entertainment center.. and the back vents faced me... I've been playing since 11am.. its 3:30 now.. and I've yet to have a problem.. so i guess i was heating issues..

so if your 360 start freezing.. you may want to try that.. :)

WarLox said:
it was too easy.. I just rushed the "traps" .. but what sucked was... saving the guy wasn't enough for a recommendation... that old hag wanted me to do another task to "prove myself" ... while she sat there reading a bool :lol

Wow. My character didn't survive when I tried to rush through the traps. I got turned into a pincushion and/or got squashed. The swiming one was probably the hardest for me as I couldn't see crap when I got really deep into the water. I ended up
using the map to navigtate to the right spot.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
As far as my character's concerned, it's super easy to level up. My 7 main skills are:

Alchemy
Destruction
Restoration
Blades
Heavy Armor
Armorer
Block

I've leveled up really fast just melee fighting like you are supposed to, blocking then slashing, etc., plus throwing the occassional fireball or whatnot in the mix. Sometimes I take out a mob with just fireballs. I also heal myself with spells instead of just resting for 1 hour away from enemies.

Alchemy really levels ya up fast, too. I'm constantly foraging stuff and looting foodstuffs from the general populace. Making those "Restore Fatigue" potions really raises your alchemy fast.

As for my crashes, maybe it is heat, but Oblivion is the only game I've had crash like that (other than 1 crash that happened during PGR3 right after I got the console). Everything else, even GRAW, has never locked up. I'll try moving it.

Some loot I've noticed stays the same, or seems to, despite your level. For instance, one Dark Brotherhood quest involves pirates in the Imperial City Waterfront. These guys dropped those same Steel Cutlasses or whatever that they dropped for me back at level 5 or so.

Other people talked about specific loot found near Umbra, but it wasn't there for me due to my level no doubt. On a side note,
Umbra was impossible to kill at my level, had to really turn down the difficulty to even dent him/her.

Solo

Help! RE: Thieves Guild final quest
I shot the arrow into the statue, opened the secret passage. Then I get a pop up telling me to be stealthy and quiet when I enter, as who knows where Ill end up. Fine. I go stealth through the door, then proceed to get assaulted by 5-10 guards everytime. Finally get past them to meet the Blind Monk whos supposed to help me. Then it says hes "on to me", and starts attacking me! What am I supposed to do here?

Dracos

Was playing yesterday, and wham out of nowhere I get mauled by an invisible black bear. That mofo was touh as nails. I was lvl 6 at the time, but spent like 10 min backpeddeling and shotting arrows and casting flare. It was so cool seeing that invisible blob with arrows sticking all out of it. It was so satisfying taking that bad boy down. Shame all I got was a bear pelt, but my destruction and marksmanship went up a few ticks.

So do guards remember or know somehow that you've killed another guard before? I ran into one of those Foresters and tried talking to him, but instead of the usual nice greeting he said something like "I know your type, you better keep that blade sheathed" Then he called me a murderer. Is this because of my infamy rating?

FtsH

has anyone been chased by an enemy through the whole world map? even after several fast travels? That's really terrible.............

Dr_Cogent

Banned
FtsH said:
has anyone been chased by an enemy through the whole world map? even after several fast travels? That's really terrible.............

:lol Hahahah! No, I haven't.

I didn't think they would do something like that.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
F*CKING WISP OF THE WILLOW's!!"!

Trawled through a massive dungeon filled with trolls, actually found them pretty OK with my new Elven Axe, only to get taken out by a bloody wisp in about 5 seconds flat.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ghost said:
F*CKING WISP OF THE WILLOW's!!"!

Trawled through a massive dungeon filled with trolls, actually found them pretty OK with my new Elven Axe, only to get taken out by a bloody wisp in about 5 seconds flat.

Owned by a pussy willow. How nice ;) :D :lol

FtsH

Dr_Cogent said:
:lol Hahahah! No, I haven't.

I didn't think they would do something like that.
they DO, in fact i used this strategy to kill a tough boss, i lead him from the dungeon into a nearby city and all the guards come up to fight him for me. :D

Dr_Cogent

Banned
FtsH said:
they DO, in fact i used this strategy to kill a tough boss, i lead him from the dungeon into a nearby city and all the guards come up to fight him for me. :D

I would have thought they wouldn't let you fast travel if you had an enemy chasing you. That's interesting.

Dracos said:
Was playing yesterday, and wham out of nowhere I get mauled by an invisible black bear. That mofo was touh as nails. I was lvl 6 at the time, but spent like 10 min backpeddeling and shotting arrows and casting flare. It was so cool seeing that invisible blob with arrows sticking all out of it. It was so satisfying taking that bad boy down. Shame all I got was a bear pelt, but my destruction and marksmanship went up a few ticks.

Haha, same thing happened to me. Theres actually a reason he's invisible, theres a quest in a nearby small town related to it. Short quest but pretty fun.

thetrin

chigiri said:
did any of you make the nord go beserk, thinking the old lady was the killer, and kill her with one KO punch? then only to go down in the basement and have a victory drink. :lol

Actually, I killed the two women first. They went to sleep in the same room, so I murdered them both. Then I killed the nord as he drank alone on the second floor. The redguard then suspected I was the killer, but had no way to prove it. Then, when he went upstairs, and asked me to stay with him so he could keep an eye on me, I stabbed him in the back. :p Then I killed the last guy, and went on my merry way.

Btw, I just became the Dark Brotherhood's listener. Once you do, you just hand contracts over to the Speaker in your lair, and get paid for it. You can only do it once a week, but you make 200 gold for doing virtually nothing.

thetrin

Dr_Cogent said:
I would have thought they wouldn't let you fast travel if you had an enemy chasing you. That's interesting.

I'm pretty sure you can't fast travel with enemies near, but that doesn't mean you can't go into a nearby town, and wait for the guards to maul your attacker.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Dr_Cogent said:
Yowza! I'll be on the lookout for those little bitches for sure.

Wisps are by far the toughest enemies to kill next to wraiths. I don't really know a good tactic to use against them other than pummel them with magic.

I wish there was a way to tell what something is most vulnerable to magic-wise other than just spamming different stuff on it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I wish there was a way to tell what something is most vulnerable to magic-wise other than just spamming different stuff on it.

Well, thats how I figured out how to deal with the ghost thingys in the game. Spammed em with everything I had.

FtsH

Dr_Cogent said:
I first left the dungeon of course, then I used fast travel, at that time the game allowed me to do that.

but after several fast travels when I was in a city (far away from that dungeon), that boss suddenly come out again!

When I say I used this strategy to kill an enemy, I never leave them too far behind, I can hear the sound of their attack all the way, so I make sure they are still with me.

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
Question for the Oblivion Veterans.

Where is a good spot to kill a lot of Vampires, and I mean a lot. I don’t want to become one I just want to hunt them. If you know a good spot let me know.

TheWolf

Banned
unicorn1.jpg

unicorn2.jpg

o_O

Sweet dude! You got the Unicorn! Was that after taking out the Minotaur guarding it that we heard so much about in the previews? Personally, I haven't bothered with a mount at all yet, but figure I'll get around to eventually. Anyone know if there is a dark, evil steed for those who walk the shadows and *ahem*...skirt the law. :)

Raytow

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Sweet dude! You got the Unicorn! Was that after taking out the Minotaur guarding it that we heard so much about in the previews? Personally, I haven't bothered with a mount at all yet, but figure I'll get around to eventually. Anyone know if there is a dark, evil steed for those who walk the shadows and *ahem*...skirt the law. :)
Dark Brotherhood
is your anwser.

Dracos

WHOAguitarninja said:
Haha, same thing happened to me. Theres actually a reason he's invisible, theres a quest in a nearby small town related to it. Short quest but pretty fun.

Yeah I had already finished the quest, but I guess the mobs around the fort didn't get the memo (out of range probably).

Kung Fu Jedi said:
After doing the first 6 quests or so, the Dark Brotherhood gives you a black horse with red eyes and all of the usual evil ornaments.

thetrin

Kung Fu Jedi said:

As others said: Once you become a Silencer for the Dark Brotherhood, you get Shadowmere, the black horse with red eyes. He fights for you too when you get into battle.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
.Abras. said:
teh_pwn,

How many hours did you take on the main quest?

After you "finish the game" can you come back to start guild quest? Are they going to be too easy because you already "strong"?

And the last one:
Can you complete all the quests (arena -> fighter -> mage -> thief -> dark guilds) with only one character?

I'm asking all this because I really want to get all the achieviments on this game.

About 20 hours, I guess. I've already uninstalled it, so I can't bring it up to verify. Note that I lowered the difficulty about half way through, because I wanted to finish before today, so concentrate on school. I would imagine at normal difficulty it would take more time to level up some. I was like lvl 12, majored in strength, athletics, intellect, blade, destruction, ...

Yeah, all the quests are still in my log.

The game adapts to your level.

I didn't do too many guild quests. I joined some for a bit of training, but that's all. I joined the thieve's guild for lockpicks.

fartblast

Banned
so I came across some BAD ASS armor and an even more bad ass sword when i touched this stone

i run around and POOF it just disappears, what gives :(

thetrin

I've finished the Dark, Arena and Fighter quest lines. No conflicts yet. Still have to go through Mage and Thieves still.

Burger

fartblast said:
so I came across some BAD ASS armor and an even more bad ass sword when i touched this stone

It's a temporary binding spell.

fartblast said:

It's only temporary. The stones bestow one of the conjuration spells on you for a short time.

fartblast said:
oh ok. so when i want i can go back and touch it again? :)

Yep. There are a number of them around the countryside. I think I've found four or five of them. And I believe, that once they are activated, when you touch the corresponding alter in a cathederal, you'll get the enchantment as well. Or, you could just buy the spell. :)

Fusebox

Banned
fartblast said:

Go into 'active effects' in your spells section to see buffs and debuffs.

rod

Banned
ok so im told il be going to a cave with lots of undead enemies so i better get "silver, magic or a draedric weapon". can someone explain plz? draedric?silver?

Victrix

*beard*
Haha, first post since I got the game

Been playing a Breton pure Mage under the Mage sign (that's all six schools of magic, plus Alchemy)

Character has become a walking juggernaut at this point, wearing all enchanted gear (none of which I did myself, since I got kicked out the Mage's Guild and it's taking me bloody forever to get back in their good graces :p), with a huge spellbook (which is a giant pain in the ass to manage thanks to their idiot locked 8 hotkeys, but at least a UI mod was released that greatly increases the size of your inventory and spellbook).

I'm up to level 34 now, and I only started the main plot at level 25. Doing so resulted in some truly vicious battles. The first areas in Kvatch were filled with
stacks of Storm Atronachs, Spider Daedra, Xvilai, Daedroth, and Dremora Battlemages and Mages. Subsequent Gates have been equally vicious

What's really awesome is that despite all the power, I'm _still_ threatened by packs of nasty enemies.

Love. This. Game.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
UncleScr00ge said:
Are you guys typically playing all the guild quests with the same character or different characters? For instance, I have a Blade/Heavy Weapons/Conjouring/Restoration guy that does great in the Fighters guild, Mage's Guild, and the Arena, but I just don't see how it's possible to do Theif's guild and Dark Brotherhood with no real sneak skills.

1. Build up your Illusion skill to level 50. It shouldn't be hard to do, just rent a room and cast a spell like Shining on yourself until you run out of Magika, sleep for an hour, then repeat. You can stay in the room as long as you want.

2. Join the dark brotherhood and buy the invisibility spell from the Khajiit in the santuary.

3. ????

4. Profit.

Fusebox

Banned
rod said:
ok so im told il be going to a cave with lots of undead enemies so i better get "silver, magic or a draedric weapon". can someone explain plz? draedric?silver?

How do you get that far without figuring out that weapons can have different origins and can be made from different materials?

Top Bottom