• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Ecrofirt

Man, fuck this game.

For no reason at all, Jauffre and Martin are pissed at me. I can't take them where they need to go, because any time I see a guard at all they stop me with a 1000 gold fine. I have no fucking clue what I did. If I resist arrest, they all attack me. If I pa the fine, they're taking like all the goddamn gold I have.

FUCK YOU OBLIVION.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
TheTrin said:
Anyone looking for
glow dust
for
Azura should go to Shadow's Rest Cavern, located in the Northwest (just northest of Chorrol I believe). Inside you'll find will-o'-the-wisps. They're insanely hard, but they drop glow dust.

Or you can just
walk northwest up the hill from the Azura shrine and three of them will be there (just a stone's throw away).

Ecrofirt said:
Man, fuck this game.

For no reason at all, Jauffre and Martin are pissed at me. I can't take them where they need to go, because any time I see a guard at all they stop me with a 1000 gold fine. I have no fucking clue what I did. If I resist arrest, they all attack me. If I pa the fine, they're taking like all the goddamn gold I have.

FUCK YOU OBLIVION.
That really sucks. Try dumping all of your inventory into a near by crate then paying the fine. After you pay the fine return to the location of your stored items. Hope that made some sense.

"mannn whats the best way to quickly raise security mecantile and illusion stats? mine are so low :("

Pick locks, buy and sell a lot, cast lots of illusion spells.

Ecrofirt

SNUG REVOL said:
That really sucks. Try dumping all of your inventory into a near by crate then paying the fine. After you pay the fine return to the location of your stored items. Hope that made some sense.

Apparantly I killed someone, or some shit, although I'm positive I did nothing of the sort. When I ran into the chapel where Jauffre was, one of the monks died, but I'm fairly certain I didn't kill him.

Is there any way for me to drop my gold any place?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
With a bounty that high, you have to have either killed someone or assaulted a BUNCH of people. You might as well just go to jail -- you might lose a skill point or a few, but at least you won't lose the gold.

WarLox

Minor Update:

I played for about 12 hours today.. and it NEVER froze... After it constantly froze yesterday.. I decided to turn the 360 backward, so that the vents faced ME instead of the disc drive.. which apprently provided enough ventalization to run Oblivian for a LONG period of time without locking up...

hope this helps someone..

p.s.. I went from lvl 2 to lvl 10 today... and was finally accepted into the MAGEs guild...

:D

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Ecrofirt said:
What happens if I can sucessfully break out of the prison cell?

Well, you'd need to avoid the guards, get to the evidence chest to grab your stuff, and then you'd STILL have the bounty on your head. I wouldn't bother unless you were in the Thieves Guild, since they can take care of your bounty for you.

dante786

Banned
Anyone else getting the shit kicked out of them by will-o-wisp's? I can't even touch the bastards, anytime i see one now in a cave or in the wild i have to run my ass for the nearest town or ride my horse away, when the hell will i be able to take these things out?

aaaaa0

One question, where is it safe to drop my items for safekeeping?

I don't have a house :(, and I'm lugging around some expensive stuff I don't quite want to sell yet. I'm scared if I put down my 8000 gold staff it'll be gone the next time I come back.

Will I have to buy a house before I can safely drop this stuff somewhere for safekeeping?

Ecrofirt

fuck it. I did like you suggested and paid the fine. I still think it was a glitch, so I console commanded my 1000 gold back. Now I have to decide what to do with the guy that's gonig to come see me when I go to sleep.

aaaaa0 said:
One question, where is it safe to drop my items for safekeeping?

I don't have a house :(, and I'm lugging around some expensive stuff I don't quite want to sell yet. I'm scared if I put down my 8000 gold staff it'll be gone the next time I come back.

Will I have to buy a house before I can safely drop this stuff somewhere for safekeeping?

As far as I know, anything that isn't kept in your house disapears eventually.

Speevy

Banned
TemplaerDude said:
As far as I know, anything that isn't kept in your house disapears eventually.

There's still armor sitting around in the Imperial City from a dead bandit. The bandit's body disappeared though. This was the first hour I played the game (now on hour 26).

Burger

SteveMeister said:
Well, you'd need to avoid the guards, get to the evidence chest to grab your stuff, and then you'd STILL have the bounty on your head. I wouldn't bother unless you were in the Thieves Guild, since they can take care of your bounty for you.

The only problem I have with the theives guild taking care of your bounty is that your Doyen is located in a city, so any time you get near town, you have a guard run up to you at breakneck speed and confront you, to which you have to resist arrest. Then you have to find your Doyen and hope they don't flee from all the guards trying to lop off your head.

Is there any way to avoid that scenario ?

hellfire

rod said:
mannn whats the best way to quickly raise security mecantile and illusion stats? mine are so low :(

security is a joke once you get the
skeleton key (fortifies security like 40 pts, plus 10 more from the dark brotherhood outfit, which also looks spiffy)
from the
nocturne quest (ask around in leyawiin for daedric worship)

mercantile - buy/selllots of stuff

illusion - cast starlight or minor night eye constantly everywhere you go.

So my wife is trying to get into the mage's guild and was doing this quest in Leyawiin where you need to give Manduin's Amulet to Dagail. The only problem is, the game won't give her that option to hand it over when she talks to Dagail.

If she talks to another mage in the guild, the mage says, "Oh, you have the amulet! Give it to Dagail!" or something along those lines... we just can't figure out *how* she's supposed to do that.

Anyone run into this problem? Seems pretty bugged...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
chinmonster said:
If the difficulty is knocked down a couple notches, are achievements still enabled?

Achievements aren't dependent on difficulty.

Maybe I'm just insanely overpowered for my level, but I've plowed right through those
Will O' The Wisps
when I ran into them doing the
Azura Quest
. One hit, one dead
Wisp.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Man this game is killin my life, I had a plan for what I was gonna do in the game today, go to a dungeon and get a certain stone for a quest, but I ended up spending like 4 hours robbing shops, selling it and picking up new quests.

It was great robbing the Mystic Emporium :D so many cool spells which don't even register as stolen once you're outta the store. The jewelry store near there also had a lot of loot.

I'm also making a collection of all store keys so I can go in and out as I please :lol

Question:

My marksmanship is really low, stems from me not using a bow for like 20 hours or so that played. Its at 11 right now, I'd prefer it were closer to 40 for the level I'm at. Whats the best way to train marksmanship?

When I shoot at say a target or a wall, it doesn't seem to boost stats. Same for destruction spells in fact, it only registers when I attack someone. I've been conjuring a demon and then atacking that, but I thought you could just cast it/shoot arrow anywhere and it would register as some kind of training and increase your stats?

At this rate getting my marksmanship up is going to take forever. Any tips on easy ways to get stat growth?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Eel O'Brian said:
Maybe I'm just insanely overpowered for my level, but I've plowed right through those
Will O' The Wisps
Azura Quest
. One hit, one dead
Wisp.
Likewise :lol , I keep having to turn the difficulty UP to not become some sort of über character that can kill everything with one blow.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Eel O'Brian said:
Will O' The Wisps
Azura Quest
. One hit, one dead
Wisp.

It depends on your character type. Mage type characters have a much easier time with them, as physical attacks don't hurt them.

Most physical based enemies are one hit kills for me, but the wisps are the only enemies that involve some thinking

"It depends on your character type. Mage type characters have a much easier time with them, as physical attacks don't hurt them."

Not entirely true. You need a Daedric or Silver or an enchanted weapon that does magic damage on strike weapon to hurt them. I found a Will o' Wisp once and I spent the next 10 minutes running around ticking off life with silver arrows. Wasn't prepared at all :p

Unison

Teknopathetic said:
"It depends on your character type. Mage type characters have a much easier time with them, as physical attacks don't hurt them."

Not entirely true. You need a Daedric or Silver or an enchanted weapon that does magic damage on strike weapon to hurt them. I found a Will o' Wisp once and I spent the next 10 minutes running around ticking off life with silver arrows. Wasn't prepared at all :p

I haven't seen any Will O the Wisps yet, but I am playing a thief & got my first Daedric dagger about 30 minutes before running into my first Wraiths. Talk about convenient. I would have had to have turned tail had I not found it. :D

thetrin

Teknopathetic said:

Really? I always thought that elemental weapons didn't work, only spells. Truthfully, I never tried any of my magic weapons...I was launching fireballs and shocking touch spells. :p

I'm just going to add (as Evil Lore did) that they should have beefed up the money required for Independent Thievery... by many many many many thousands. I just sold TWO items and have well over 1000 now. I only had to sell two because I just rejoined the guild on my new character and Ognar has a max of 600 available....

Or at least make it scale with levels... something.

rod

Banned
is there any way to take
the dwarven greaves from the plains of oblivion from those "punishers" without been frozen?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
OMGWTF

How the hell am i supposed to kill the dude in my anvil homes basement? WTF. He pwned me quicker than umbra :eek: by quicker

Rhindle

Banjo Tango said:
So my wife is trying to get into the mage's guild and was doing this quest in Leyawiin where you need to give Manduin's Amulet to Dagail. The only problem is, the game won't give her that option to hand it over when she talks to Dagail.

If she talks to another mage in the guild, the mage says, "Oh, you have the amulet! Give it to Dagail!" or something along those lines... we just can't figure out *how* she's supposed to do that.

Anyone run into this problem? Seems pretty bugged...
I ran into that as well. The solution: Just after you pick up the amulet in the dungeon, a character comes bursting in the room. I of course immediately took him down. It turns out you need to talk to him first (then kill him). Then return to the guild and the Dagail will accept the amulet. Hopefully you have a save you can return to.

belgurdo

Banned
DopeyFish said:
OMGWTF

How the hell am i supposed to kill the dude in my anvil homes basement? WTF. He pwned me quicker than umbra :eek: by quicker

I just mashed that dude with my fists, and when I started running out of potions I made like Ali and ran around backwards and dodged like crazy, firing arrows all the way. Oddly, although I had major problems with most of the other mobs in the game thanks to the scaling (especially guards and scamps,) that dude was pretty much a cakewalk.

When fighting a lot of enemies, I noticed that it pays to use enchanted weapons against them, since they usually come with advantages that defeat the scaling. In particular, there's a woman in a farmhouse near the Imperial City I believe that sends you on a quest to get back an heirloom weapon. If you kill her after finishing the quest and take it, you can deliver an extra 20 shock damage against enemies that ignores blocking for about 40 swings. It makes dungeon crawling a lot easier in some respects. You can also make your own if you're willing to put up with the massively fucking long mages' guild reccomendation quest to use the University's facilities

Ark-AMN

Banned
This must be a bug

But I did the Fighters Guild Quest in Cheyhindal (sp) which involved clearing out the Desolate Mine, and I did it without anyone getting killed. Now though, when I go talk to people, some remark the people did get killed in that incident.

It was also strange because a few times afterwards, whenever I got arrested, those three guys from the mine showed up alongside me for some reason. Strange indeed.

And the game has started to crash now, it oddly gave me an error message as I exited normally from the game too (ie. send MS an error report etc.)

EDIT: There's definately an issue with the game not telling people that they've broken a law or commited a crime at some points. I remember getting a 1400 bounty on me and I had no idea I did anything wrong. (I was defending myself from those crazies in hacksville).

"ok i slept and told me i was bitten by vampire...reloaded, slept, same thing...is this inevitable?"

Reload, don't sleep, go get a cure disease potion.

rod

Banned
tekno...what are the pros and cons of vampireism?

and also, how long must i not sleep for? just for that night?

edit: found answer in this thread. but still whats the negatives of vampireism

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have a question on the haunted house:

How do I get that guy to come back to Anvil with me? He has a disposition of 100 towards me, but he still refuses

"tekno...what are the pros and cons of vampireism?"

Boosted stats and skills in exchange for taking damage from sunlight and people not wanting to talk/do business with you. If you feed, it lessens the effect of both the pros and cons

"and also, how long must i not sleep for? just for that night?"

You have 3 days after contracting Porphyric Hemophilia to either drink a cure disease potion or have a cure disease spell cast on you before you turn into a vampire.

Zensetsu

Burger said:
The only problem I have with the theives guild taking care of your bounty is that your Doyen is located in a city, so any time you get near town, you have a guard run up to you at breakneck speed and confront you, to which you have to resist arrest. Then you have to find your Doyen and hope they don't flee from all the guards trying to lop off your head.

Is there any way to avoid that scenario ?

What I was doing was using the Doyen in the imperial city...If I commited a crime and got the guards on me I would get the hell out of where ever I was, then fast travel to this little place on the southern edge of the lake (directly over the lake from the waterfront, on the outside edge). Then it was simply a matter of waterwalking or swiming across the lake to the waterfront and visiting the guy there that comes out at night. I found that apart from when you are on that certain quests that makes them hang around, there are never any guards on that particular part of the waterfront.

rod said:
but still whats the negatives of vampireism

Shopping is made difficult by not being able to make it from inns to shops in the sunlight, at low levels. Oh and the constantly having to murder people if you wanna get around the sunlight thing.

rod

Banned
woohoo i healed the vampireism :D <3 GAF, does anyone like being a vampire/play the game thru as one? i want impressions :p

thetrin

FlyinJ said:
I have a question on the haunted house:

How do I get that guy to come back to Anvil with me? He has a disposition of 100 towards me, but he still refuses

This took me a while to figure out. You need to bring the diary entry from the hand with you, otherwise he won't agree to it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
keeblerdrow said:
Shopping is made difficult by not being able to make it from inns to shops in the sunlight, at low levels. Oh and the constantly having to murder people if you wanna get around the sunlight thing.

no need to kill... just feed on guild members when they sleep... worked for me

eso76

A tale of radiant IA !

I'll keep this as spoiler free as i can.
So, yesterday i was wandering just outside a town and someone came to me and asked me to go retrieve some precious item from this place, in a small settlement just outside the city walls which for some reason had become inhabited by dangerous creatures.
Being the nice guy i am i decided to help, i stepped inside and taking advantage of the first 'room's' structure i could easily defeat the first creature, picked up a few nice items and found a door to the second floor, where 2 of these creature were waiting for me in a narrow corridor; being a stealth guy i didn't have much of a chance against those 2, so i just ran past them (almost died) and found the door to the third floor, i entered thinking i'd be safe in there, or at least i would have the time to heal myself. Too bad those monsters followed me to the third floor and too bad there were 3 more there, waiting for me. So i turn around and run towards the exit as fast as i can, and i manage to escape the (let's call it) building. Outside, the guy comes to me asking me if i found anything and i'm just thinking of an excuse for him when i realize all 5 monsters followed me outside and are on a rampage; people in the street panic, some run to help me against the monsters, some run to call for the guards, someone just runs away yelling something like "save yourself!". A girl i spoke with earlier in normal clothes goes inside some house and comes back wearing some extremely cool armour and starts fighting.
Finally 2 guards arrive, so now it's become a massive 5 against 7 battle and the guys seem to be doing quite fine without me. I slowly walk away unnoticed while the battle rages. Think i can explore the building safely while the town people keep monsters busy and that's precisely what i do. After a few minutes i'm picking up stuff inside i'm told the guy who asked me to go retrieve this item is unconscious (well, proof things 'exist' and ia works even when you're not there to see) and i eventually find this precious item.
Back outside; no more monsters around, we won ! Sort of. Everyone i spoke with earlier is dead fighting them (except for the girl with this uber nice armour) there's corpses all around. The monsters even killed a painter in front of his canvas. Someone walks by and kneels in front of them: "God bless you".
Searching the bodies i find 2 guys had picked up these creature's peculiar weapons to use against them, and i'm able to pick the keys to their homes (i have like 4 now :) ). Can't find the guy i'm supposed to give this item to, i look for him inside the town and there's corpses there too. Eventually, i find the guy went inside the local inn (he went to recover from the battle ? i don't know, i doubt it's part of his daily routine considering it was 5 pm).
It was amazing.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Kabuki Waq said:
when you feed on ppl do they turn into vamps too?
Thats a good question, and it would be hilarious if accurate. :lol
Or maybe they use pots/pray to cure themselves if they're indeed infected.

Top Bottom