• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

3rdman said:
I must be really blind then because I've been to a lot of them and haven't found one.
Go to Culotte. It's the easiest ruin to find a statue in. It's only one level and you'll face maybe a few zombies at most. The statue is on a pedestal in a small room past the area with all of the coffins on the ground floor.

I just got this game last night and I am not out of the sewers (I like the smells and tastes too much) :lol

I think I am going to be lurking here quite a bit for hints, tips and whatnot.

On some advice from Dr Cogent, I ordered the strategy guide.

Does anyone here have the strategy guide? Will I want to start all over after reading such a guide?

LakeEarth

urk said:
Yup. If you don't focus on leveling your major skillset, you could do a lot of exploring without gaining levels.
I'm trying to be a magic-heavy character, should I complete the magic guild quest to really see improvement?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
LakeEarth said:
I'm trying to be a magic-heavy character, should I complete the magic guild quest to really see improvement?

There are a pile of Mage Guild quests, and yes, you should see improvement if you complete them, but you shouldn't have to in order to level up. The main factor is to exercise the skills that your character is adept at. Really, you should work all your skills, but of course, your focus will naturally be on the major skills you chose.

epmode

LakeEarth said:
Completing the recommendation quests gets you access to the spell builder and item enchanter, so yeah, go for it.

IJoel

Dark Brotherhood initial quest:
OH POOR RUFIO! I'M SORRY! Damn you Bethesda, putting a defenseless old man to be sacrificed to the achievement points!
:(

Also... WTF!? I am doing the Arena quests and I have to drop some weight, as my spell to carry heavy things won't be as effective with the light armor thus not allowing me to carry as much as previously, so I drop a staff I found earlier. Well, see that nearby filthy elf practicing with the Bow? HE'S A THIEF! It seems he found a new calling with a staff as he stopped practicing with the bow and grabbed the staff. Bastard.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
IJoel said:
Dark Brotherhood initial quest:
OH POOR RUFIO! I'M SORRY! Damn you Bethesda, putting a defenseless old man to be sacrificed to the achievement points!
:(

Pretty sure he was some sort of rapist or pedophile given his dying plea

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I love XBL, i have my friends page up and i can see that Sysgen is getting his ass kicked

Sysgen
2585 Online

Playing Oblivion
Level: 12 Health: 83/226

HEAL SYSGEN HEAL!

:D

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Ghost said:
I love XBL, i have my friends page up and i can see that Sysgen is getting his ass kicked

Sysgen
2585 Online

Playing Oblivion

HEAL SYSGEN HEAL!

Yeah, that shit rules. I love XBL as well for that reason and many others!

Oh! Oh! But you can do everything thats in XBL on the PC! :lol

Ghost said:

Sysgen
2585 Online

Playing Oblivion

HEAL SYSGEN HEAL!

:lol

I love that too! But it makes me jealous when I see my friends at home playing while I'm at the office! :)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
got it today - played the first few hours...

i need to know... is my X360 magic?

no frame drops, load times between areas are short, the "loading area" things are split seconds, and no slow down what so ever (like - when the king is around or when you go to the stables and some people are seeing a slide show, for me not a single frame is being dropped :/)

is it just that the caching isn't great or something or are the people who have problems just cursed??

I mean, seriously, i was expecting the worst, but it's behaved itself fine so far (albeit about 3 hours in)

3rdman

DCharlie said:

no frame drops, load times between areas are short, the "loading area" things are split seconds, and no slow down what so ever (like - when the king is around or when you go to the stables and some people are seeing a slide show, for me not a single frame is being dropped :/)

is it just that the caching isn't great or something or are the people who have problems just cursed??

I mean, seriously, i was expecting the worst, but it's behaved itself fine so far (albeit about 3 hours in)

The real frame hits occur when you traveling on horseback and the scenery is loading...the actual dungeons and ciities are very good with loading.

Chiggs

Gold Member
DCharlie said:

This is similar to my experience. I'm seeing people reporting minute long load times, and the longest I've seen is about 15 seconds. Framerate drops are occasional, but they haven't come close to being a "slideshow".

My experience has been much like DCCharlie's. The only hitches I have is when I get the loading scene messages. Otherwise, it runs smooth as silk, and I haven't had a single crash. I've also not had any large scale battles with four or five or more creatures fighting it out yet either. :)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
When you clear the cache will that remove/reset all the stuff/bodies you've moved around in the game world?

I was thinking that might explain why the loading times seem to get worse as you play on, I had a similar situation to DCharlie when i first booted it up, but it's definitely slower to load and jerkier now after about 20 hours of playtime.

3rdman

I have a question....how can I build my conjuration skill? I can't buy any spells from the school of conjuration that doesn't tell me that either I don't have enough majica or I need to be at level 25.

My charecter is at lvl 23 and my other stats are well over 25...

IJoel

3rdman said:
I have a question....how can I build my conjuration skill? I can't buy any spells from the that school that doesn't tell me that either I don't have enough majica or I need to be at level 25.

Can't you buy the lowest level conjuration spell? I think the mage guild at Chorrol (sp?) has the seller. You could also train it, though I'm not certain where the trainer is.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
3rdman said:
I have a question....how can I build my conjuration skill? I can't buy any spells from the school of conjuration that doesn't tell me that either I don't have enough majica or I need to be at level 25.

I got a summon spell to start with, just spam that and there you go. One of the easier spells to spam imo cos you can do it anywhere at anytime and it will raise your stats.

Just ran into my first will o wisp in sideways cavern :( anything good in that cave?

Dr_Cogent said:
Yeah, that shit rules. I love XBL as well for that reason and many others!

Oh! Oh! But you can do everything thats in XBL on the PC! :lol
I'm sure PC gamers are weeping that they can't see their friends' health, level, and if their playing; it must be that awesome to be able to do so....

I was wondering, does anyone know before becoming a member of the Dark Brotherhood, who was the guy they make you kill at the Inn while he was sleeping? Also has anyone killed a member of the Dark Brotherhood while they are member of it? I think I am going to try it to see what happens, if other members declare war on me and try to hunt me down.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
kaizoku said:
I got a summon spell to start with, just spam that and there you go. One of the easier spells to spam imo cos you can do it anywhere at anytime and it will raise your stats.

Just ran into my first will o wisp in sideways cavern :( anything good in that cave?

Ring of Life. Allows you to see life 60 feet in front of you

I honestly didn't like it so I just sold it off :)

3rdman

kaizoku said:

Which summon spell? Every one I see for purchase says I can't use it.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Benadryl Hitman said:
I was wondering, does anyone know before becoming a member of the Dark Brotherhood, who was the guy they make you kill at the Inn while he was sleeping? Also has anyone killed a member of the Dark Brotherhood while they are member of it? I think I am going to try it to see what happens, if other members declare war on me and try to hunt me down.

Rufio, at the Inn of Ill Omen if I recall correctly

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Benadryl Hitman said:
I'm sure PC gamers are weeping that they can't see their friends' health, level, and if their playing; it must be that awesome to be able to do so....

I'm just making fun of the individuals who claim that the PC can do everything XBL can.

belgurdo

Banned
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Mmm, boots with constant water walking effect!

I got a pendant that grants constant water breathing for finishing a quest. It's fun to scare people on the waterfront into thinking I've committed suicide, when I'm actually pretending I'm Aquaman :)

It's also fun to swim downriver to the southern towns, especially since there seem to be no aquatic enemies in Cyrodiil besides fish

Benadryl Hitman said:
Where does one acquire such boots?

Spoilers below (DB quest)

I'm pretty sure I just got lucky. I got them from the Night Mother's tomb... at level 16. The items are random... I got different stuff on my other character (though she was much lower level...).

jarosh

question: was it premature to enter the first oblivion gate right away? i'm only at level 2. i'm getting the feeling that i might be a little too weak to fight the creatures in here.

belgurdo

Banned
jarosh said:
question: was it premature to enter the first oblivion gate right away? i'm only at level 2. i'm getting the feeling that i might be a little too weak to fight the creatures in here.

lol you can beat the whole game at level 2 if you've got enough cash and decent equipment

Don't know id this has been mentioned but:

OBLIVION has gone straight to NUMBER ONE in the UK Sales chart, beating the Godfather. Apparently the split is slightly over half to the 360.

Not sure how to post links, and I'm too busy with work to look it up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63619

HURRAY... completely and utterly deserved (and hardly suprising looking at what everyone on my friends list is playing).

Well done Bethesda :)

jarosh said:

The monsters level WITH you, so no matter what level you go in you'll feel weak. :D

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
rod said:
stats question, ive gone to most of the guilds and maxed out my "bought" stats and now most say "this person cannot teach you any further 0/5 learnt on your current level" so i know there is room for more. who can teach higher level stats for purchase?

There are 5 trainers for each skill. 2 of them can train you up to level 40 only. 2 of them can train you up to level 70. And 1 of them can can train you until its maxed out. You need to find another trainer that can train you higher than your current level. Most likely a master trainer. They aren't easy to find. You best bet is to visit both of the level 70 trainers and see if they tell you where you can find the master trainer.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Baron Aloha said:
There are 5 trainers for each skill. 2 of them can train you up to level 40 only. 2 of them can train you up to level 70. And 1 of them can can train you until its maxed out. You need to find another trainer that can train you higher than your current level. Most likely a master trainer. They aren't easy to find. You best bet is to visit both of the level 70 trainers and see if they tell you where you can find the master trainer.

Also, you can only train a skill 5 times per level.

jarosh

Vyse The Legend said:
The monsters level WITH you, so no matter what level you go in you'll feel weak. :D
didn't know that. i'm kinda new to this elder scrolls thing. but then what is the point of leveling if you can never feel that you're getting better/stronger?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jarosh said:
didn't know that. i'm kinda new to this elder scrolls thing. but then what is the point of leveling if you can never feel that you're getting better/stronger?

When you level, you have access to more spells, you can carry more, and you have a better chance of sneaking, lockpicking, etc.

3rdman

jarosh said:

I'll field this one...One of the biggest complaints in Morrowind was the ability to create the Uber Charecter that can kill anything and everything and that made the game unchallenging...and you do feel stronger, its just not made easier.

In fact, when you hit level 10, the difficulty is going to ramp up and you might want to knock the difficulty setting 2 or 3 notches to the left.

jarosh

TheTrin said:
When you level, you have access to more spells, you can carry more, and you have a better chance of sneaking, lockpicking, etc.
fair enough.
i'm really loving the game. but i'm spending way too many hours just exploring and finding stuff. and now after entering that first gate and going through the wooden door i'm suddenly overwhelmed by this dark knight who kills me with like 3 or 4 hits and is way faster than me...

3rdman said:
I'll field this one...One of the biggest complaints in Morrowind was the ability to create the Uber Charecter that can kill anything and everything and that made the game unchallenging...and you do feel stronger, its just not made easier.

In fact, when you hit level 10, the difficulty is going to ramp up and you might want to knock the difficulty setting 2 or 3 notches to the left.
thanks! makes sense.
i didn't know you could adjust the difficulty setting during the game.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I finally fired up the game last night. I probably need to walk back to the town you first encounter in the game as

I walked around, talked to some guards, went in the palace and just couldn't find anything to get into, except hunt after the grey fox(?). So I just left and went to deliver the amulet to the guy as the king asked me to before he died. But I keep hearing about all these side quests, and guilds and all that crap. I must have really missed all that when I first started.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The whole "enemies level up with you" thing is somewhat misunderstoond, I think.

Its true that all of the enemies level up with you but the vast majority of them only level up to a certain point. For instance a mud crab might only be able to level up to level 3. There are some special enemies in the game (like ogres) that are always a certain number of levels ahead of you but they are few and far between from what I can tell and I'm at level 20 right now.

3rdman

Yeah, there are some enemies that you remain more powerful than no matter what. I've got a enchanted necklace that reflects 8% damage on any contact, so now mudcrabs and rats die the second they try taking a bite out of me. :lol

hellfire

Baron Aloha said:
The whole "enemies level up with you" thing is somewhat misunderstoond, I think.

Its true that all of the enemies level up with you but the vast majority of them only level up to a certain point. For instance a mud crab might only be able to level up to level 3. There are some special enemies in the game (like ogres) that are always a certain number of levels ahead of you but they are few and far between from what I can tell and I'm at level 20 right now.

one more reason to level:enemies have better loot (i'd never have found glass weapons/elven armor otherwise), and i have more strength to carry them.

i think the people sliding the difficulty slider left are cheating themselves. by keeping the difficulty it made me diversify my character to find *new* ways to beat enemies (sneaking, alchemy, blocking). i had a rough patch at levels 8-13, but now i'm 20 and every enemy seems doable. also, now that my speed is over 100 with buffs, i can dart in and out of blade range before they get counter strikes.

one note is that i did realize i was leveling too fast, so i switched to using minor skills more, until i got better weapons and armor, then everything equalized.

jarosh

jarosh said:
and now after entering that first gate and going through the wooden door i'm suddenly overwhelmed by this dark knight who kills me with like 3 or 4 hits and is way faster than me...
quoting myself... lol, i was in stealth mode, that's why this guy was so much faster than me. :lol

ocelittle

Banned
3rdman said:
Go to a Church and pray you dirty sinner.

Where in the church do you pray?
I went to that main...thing in the middle of it, and pressed A, and nothing happened...I think a message popped up, but I was still a vampire.

Top Bottom