• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Ark-AMN said:
EDIT: There's definately an issue with the game not telling people that they've broken a law or commited a crime at some points. I remember getting a 1400 bounty on me and I had no idea I did anything wrong. (I was defending myself from those crazies in hacksville).

Yes. Definitely. I finished a quest within Imperial City and AFAIK broke no laws. I didn't steal anything and I had to kill two people as part of the quest (they attacked me first).

I walk up to a guard and he tells me I'm under arrest. WTF for? :(

Anyway, is there some trick to beating Umbra? I jumped up to a pillar where she couldn't reach me and I just fired a volley of 50 or so arrows and as far as I can tell, her health never went down at all. What's up with that?

Ok, I'm having a little horse problem. I want to buy a horse from the chick selling them right outside the snowy Nord town (Forget what its called), so I select "I want to buy a horse" in the dialogue menu. I'm then only given one choice, which is "Forget it, I changed I my mind"
Do I not have enough money or something? I have about 200 gold.

But the weirdness only continues. Right outside the town is a lone horse of the same breed. Its standing right in front of a guard. The symbol I get when I put my mouse over it is red. So I try to ride it. The guard doesn't care. I take it back to the horse pen, and the guy working there doesn't care. But then, I dismount and mount again while in the pen and suddenly I'm stealing and the guard comes after me.

I just want to buy a horse :(

Speevy

Banned
Horses are thousand or more, at least. And the guard is not going to rush you if he can't interact with your face, or kill you because you've not been violent.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
:lol :lol :lol

man

the stupid "hey wanna do it in our farmhouse... i see you're lonely!" quest to get this guys ring back caught me by surprise... after i refused to take my clothes off... the 3 chicks attack me and i crush them... as i'm robbing their bodies... i look to my right and i see 2 guards and i say out loud "OH COME ON! IT WAS PART OF THE QUEST!" Then one of the guards just says "Confused?!"

Yes. Very.

Damn guards used me as a lure to catch these thieverish transvestites

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Speevy said:
Horses are thousand or more, at least.

I haven't bought a horse, and never will. You get one from
going to Weynon priory after the Kvatch invasion or by becoming a Silencer for the Dark Brotherhood.

Speevy

Banned
I just did a quest in which I had to find some guy's
research notes

At my level, I'm attacked by no less than 12 trolls in one cave, along with a willo o wisp.

What does the guy give me for my troubles?
3 health potions
Yipee.

Luckily, I picked up some valuable loot out of the deal.

Ok, I guess it'll be a while before I buy a horse, but still that guard thing is weird.

I have two saves. Each one being at the same location, same guard, just slightly different time of the day. Both in clear daylight. In one, he attacks if I take the horse. In the other, he lets me just walk past.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Speevy said:
I just did a quest in which I had to find some guy's
research notes

At my level, I'm attacked by no less than 12 trolls in one cave, along with a willo o wisp.

What does the guy give me for my troubles?
3 health potions
Yipee.

Luckily, I picked up some valuable loot out of the deal.

More often than not, dungeon loot seems far more impressive than the quest loot for that same dungeon. At least you get it out of your quest log. :)

Just finished the main quest:

Minus the Aid for Bruma quest and having to close all those gates, it was pretty dam good. My favorite part was Paradise. Finding out that Tamriel is actually one of the planes of the Daedra lords was quite surprising! I'm kinda sad Martin died though. =( I can't wait to get my Dragon Armor!

tegdf

The stuff that i have in my Misc. things, like emeralds and pearls, etc. can i just sell them all or should i keep them?

Speevy

Banned
tegdf said:
The stuff that i have in my Misc. things, like emeralds and pearls, etc. can i just sell them all or should i keep them?

Depends on whether you want to decorate your house of if you need money.

Richiban

I wanted a house so bad I cheated, and as I walked out of my house, some dude standing there told me I stunk.

So I stabbed him in the head with my steel sword.

Speevy

Banned
Here's something I would love to see patched/made downloadable into this game (along with the aforementioned home loot randomizer). I'd like to see a single player arena expansion that generates new foes for you pretty much infintely. Standard classes, animals monsters, guards, everything. That would be pretty cool.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
Just had a
unicorn
chase me from Bravil all the way across the bridge to the yellow road. By the time I got to the bridge I had a group of bandits, a wolf, an imp, plus
the unicorn
all chasing me. Poor guard I ran across didn't even have a chance.:lol Thank god I ran into some people at a shrine that helped me out.
I found the unicorn just north of Bravil hanging out with a group of three minotours if anyone wants to see it.

WarLox

OMG... leveling up ... for the lost... :lol

I went from a lvl 2 to lvl 10 today.. and WOW.. this game is kicking my ass... I have to totally rethink my whole fighting strategy...

With that said.. where can some of the BEST light armor and swords be found ??? I was relying too much on summoning and distant projectiles... now i have to fight more.. cause these creatures are taking my minions down in a couple swipes... or just dodging them and coming straight for me...

at first i was like wow... great AI.. but that quickly turned into.. Oh Snap!... I have no defence :lol

Help :)

rod

Banned
whoa found a pretty funny glitch. when i done the
fighters guild quest where i have to find that womans grandparents armour and sword for the debt, i go back to her house after finding them, give them back to her, she says im so gracious, then says GET OUT BEFORE I CALL THE GUARDS and starts attacking me and following me all the way back to cheydinhal :lol :lol WTF

thetrin

rod said:
whoa found a pretty funny glitch. when i done the
fighters guild quest where i have to find that womans grandparents armour and sword for the debt, i go back to her house after finding them, give them back to her, she says im so gracious, then says GET OUT BEFORE I CALL THE GUARDS and starts attacking me and following me all the way back to cheydinhal :lol :lol WTF

:lol

Awesome. Talk about gratitude.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think i broke the paranoia quest, i left it for a while and accidently talked to the guard about the wierdo now at 6am the woman im supposed to follow doesnt show up and the wierdo guy doesnt meet me at midnight....i want his gold god dammit, i was hoping to off him at midnight but now im a little stuck.

Im stuck on a lot of things now really, waiting around for the Ectoplaysm to turn up again at the alchemist shop (still cant find a fucking ghost :grr), still need 3 more ninroot plants and i always find them when im not looking but never when i actually find somewhere they should grow and look around :lol

I guess i could try and shut some more oblivion gates, its so slow to do it as a warrior though (dont know if its the same for mages) cause it takes ages to heal myself and even an enemy that doesnt faze me (i seem to be on top of the leveling curve at the moment) take off enough health for me to have to wait around for a bit.

Oh and yesturday i was just wandering around looking for some dungons to raid (till i ran out of lockpicks :GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR) and a fucking goblin shot an arrow through my horses nose! BASTARD! Naturally i was not best pleased so i dismounted, calmly walked up to the son of a bitch and clouted him with my elven axe, he went down in one swing. I wasnt satisfied with this though so i spent the next 25 minutes dragging his ass up the stairs at the fort where he was hiding out, then chucked him off the top. That'll teach that fucker to mess with my horse.

Does anyone else find it really satisfying to grab a dead enemies face, pull him up then swing away at his face with a mace? Its like a stress ball with blood and gread 'THUD' sounds. I always celebrate my arena fights by dragging the corpse to the middle of the ring and clubbing my opponent in a bit.

hellfire

WarLox said:
OMG... leveling up ... for the lost... :lol

I went from a lvl 2 to lvl 10 today.. and WOW.. this game is kicking my ass... I have to totally rethink my whole fighting strategy...

With that said.. where can some of the BEST light armor and swords be found ??? I was relying too much on summoning and distant projectiles... now i have to fight more.. cause these creatures are taking my minions down in a couple swipes... or just dodging them and coming straight for me...

at first i was like wow... great AI.. but that quickly turned into.. Oh Snap!... I have no defence :lol

Help :)

i'm using elven armor at level 20. i think i've been using it since level 13, mostly unenchanted (was waiting for my armorer to hit 50, and now i can't bear to use the sigil stones on them - guess i'll wait till i find glass armor). i think i got it off the marauders at fort blue blood during one of the mage guild quests. they also tend to have the best weapons i've found thus far (almost all glass or ebony). i use glass long sword for backstabbing, with an enchanted glass claymore for backup/ghosts.

however, i'm journeyman in block, which is part of the reason i can kill just about anything even though my light armorskill is low (i majored in heavy, then realized i was levelling too fast, so switched to light)

"i'm using elven armor at level 20. i think i've been using it since level 13, mostly unenchanted (was waiting for my armorer to hit 50, and now i can't bear to use the sigil stones on them - guess i'll wait till i find glass armor). i think i got it off the marauders at fort blue blood during one of the mage guild quests. they also tend to have the best weapons i've found thus far (almost all glass or ebony). i use glass long sword for backstabbing, with an enchanted glass claymore for backup/ghosts."

What the hell, I got shafted. Wasn't anything but some silver and the occasional dwarven stuff when I went through (granted, I went through at 11).

rod

Banned
stats question, ive gone to most of the guilds and maxed out my "bought" stats and now most say "this person cannot teach you any further 0/5 learnt on your current level" so i know there is room for more. who can teach higher level stats for purchase?

Burger

Ghost said:
Im stuck on a lot of things now really, waiting around for the Ectoplaysm to turn up again at the alchemist shop (still cant find a fucking ghost :grr), still need 3 more ninroot plants and i always find them when im not looking but never when i actually find somewhere they should grow and look around :lol

Ninroot can be found at a little lake, the something corpse. I forget what it's called, sorry I can't be more descriptive.

Ghosts can usually be found in the crypts beneath chapels in the cities.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Burger said:
Ninroot can be found at a little lake, the something corpse. I forget what it's called, sorry I can't be more descriptive.

Ghosts can usually be found in the crypts beneath chapels in the cities.

All those doors beneath the chapels are locked :'(

and yeah ive been to that copse and cleaned it out once, doubt they've grown back yet, still need 3 more, sure i'll find them eventually.

Waku

Ghost said:
All those doors beneath the chapels are locked :'(

and yeah ive been to that copse and cleaned it out once, doubt they've grown back yet, still need 3 more, sure i'll find them eventually.

Just walk along the beachline of Seas and Rivers, they grow everywhere where there is water.

Solo

SteveMeister said:
Yeah, but did you talk to him before you killed him? He's all "oh, I'm so sorry I treated you that way, I see now that you're uber l337 and I really did act like a jerk." And then you have to kill him anyway. :D

Yup, that made it even more classic! To hear him beg for mercy, only to not receive it. Love, thy name is the Dark Brotherhood :D

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I need to find a spell, any help? Should be fortify magicka others, for the
mage guild task where you cast magic on a pilar in some ruins east of the imperial city
, and if possible, under restoration skill 50, but all the fortify magicka self spells i've seen require 50 so.. guess its time to raise.

winalot

Ghost said:
I found a ghost in the top floor of a house full of Skeletons, I think it was in Skingrad but I'm not 100%. I didn't have a clue how to hurt it so ran and cried.
You can usually find at least one Nirnroot around a pond/lake's edge but I also found one in a pot at someones shack = YOINK!

Also to anyone that's done the 'Corrupt Imperial' quest.
Can you actually see him get arrested or is it always just a pop up box informing you? I don't want to miss out on the show, lol.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
civilstrife said:
Ok, I guess it'll be a while before I buy a horse, but still that guard thing is weird.

I have two saves. Each one being at the same location, same guard, just slightly different time of the day. Both in clear daylight. In one, he attacks if I take the horse. In the other, he lets me just walk past.

Uh, I got my first horse for free at Weynon priory, I headed there right after the sewers and pretty much had my horse within 40 minutes of play. Just ask for it and you get it.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I have a question. My uncle is playing on a non-HDTV. The game fills the whole screen. Is it possible to force the game into letterbox mode? I noticed GRAW runs in letterbox on his TV. I guess it's up to the developers, but is there an option in Oblivion to make it like it is in GRAW? Widescreen?

Hayami

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
I have a question. My uncle is playing on a non-HDTV. The game fills the whole screen. Is it possible to force the game into letterbox mode? I noticed GRAW runs in letterbox on his TV. I guess it's up to the developers, but is there an option in Oblivion to make it like it is in GRAW? Widescreen?

wait, why? you're cutting out a portion of the image.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Hayami said:
wait, why? you're cutting out a portion of the image.

Well, not all of the TV will be used, but you get more peripheral vision and the proportions are then the same as they would be on an HDTV.

sangreal

Dr_Cogent said:

See if your TV has a "16:9 enhanced" mode or something of that sort. If it does, you can set your 360 to widescreen in the dashboard and get letterboxing in all games.

civilstrife said:

I have the same problem almost. I got a horse at Weynon priory, and I parked it near a stable outside of town. When I get on said horse everyone is shouting I am a theif and the guard comes after me. It is my damn horse!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Sure you got on the right one? Theres a few areas where theres another paint horse randomly placed among others that isnt yours.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
No one has a good way to train up your destruction spells or marksmanship without actual fighting monsters/people??

PLEASE??

the corrupt imperial quest had a cool ending :D
he eventually breaks out of prison, hunts you down and randomly attacks you, strangely enough he attacked me just as I'd gotten out of prison myself and i was wtf some dude is trying to kill me? Then the guards are attacking him to protect me, but then some next dude comes along and starts attacking the guards, but this guy wasn't trying to kill me. My first prison riot :D

Need some help with untax the poor - thieves guild task.

how do I get to the top of the tower? Theres guards there at all hours

Ghost said:
Sure you got on the right one? Theres a few areas where theres another paint horse randomly placed among others that isnt yours.
I am sure, their horses are locked in a fenced in area, my horse is outside the house of the ranch near the fenced in area. It may be a bug in the game or perhaps the NPCs think I am stealing their horse or being jackasses and saying I stole their horse so they can take it from me when the guard hauls me to jail.

Did anyone finish the Collector's quest? I went into Sardavar Leed (an Alyeid ruin south of the Imperial City between Fort Homestead and Alessia). I'm supposed to visit this ruin to get one of the Alyeid statues I need. It's full of a some Conjurers and a Conjurer Adept. It's basically one huge room with an upper and lower level, along with a second floor where the Adept is hiding behind a caged area. I killed the Adept and for the life of me I CANNOT find the damn statue in these ruins! It's driving me nuts since this is the 9th statue and I'm almost freaking finished with the quest! I don't know if the quest is broken or if it's just me being utterly blind and not seeing the damn thing.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
kaizoku said:
No one has a good way to train up your destruction spells or marksmanship without actual fighting monsters/people??

For destruction, visit the trainer inside of the mages guild in Anvil. He's usually sitting in a chair. Cost is 10 x the level you want to raise it to. So if your destruction skill is level 29 and you want to raise it to 30 the cost would be 300 gold. You can only train 5 times per level though. So if you raise your destruction 3 levels and something else 2 levels you won't be able to train again until your character levels up.

I can't remember where the marksmenship trainers are.

Futurevoid said:
Did anyone finish the Collector's quest? I went into Sardavar Leed (an Alyeid ruin south of the Imperial City between Fort Homestead and Alessia). I'm supposed to visit this ruin to get one of the Alyeid statues I need. It's full of a some Conjurers and a Conjurer Adept. It's basically one huge room with an upper and lower level, along with a second floor where the Adept is hiding behind a caged area. I killed the Adept and for the life of me I CANNOT find the damn statue in these ruins! It's driving me nuts since this is the 9th statue and I'm almost freaking finished with the quest! I don't know if the quest is broken or if it's just me being utterly blind and not seeing the damn thing.

yeah, i couldn't find it in there either.

Issue resolved. I found this on the Elder Scrolls forum. It's a comment from one of the developers named "Maturin":

Maturin said:
The strategy guide is incorrect. There is no statue in Sardavar Leed. The 10th statue is in Culotte. Culotte is SE of the Imperial City, on the east bank of the Upper Niben.

I knew about Culotte, but it seems the guide lists 11 statues and not 10. I'll verify that when I get home but I'm glad I'm not just going crazy. I must have sat in that damned dungeon for two hours banging my head up against the wall trying to find the freaking statue in there! If anything I'm just glad the quest isn't bugged and it was just an error in the guide.

I only got to play for an hour last night, and that isn't nearly enough time! :( But, thankfully, I should have more time tonight, and I've set myself up to finish a pretty sweet quest. It's the fourth thieves guild quest I believe. The one where
you have to recover the ring from the countess.
. I'm looking forward to some serious sneaking tonight.

As for the Untax The Poor Quest asked about above:
Wait until last at night, I think I did it at 2 AM, and be in sneak mode the entire time. On the first level of the tower, you seem to get noticed, but they don't mind if you are there. By the time you reach the second level though, you'll start to get in trouble. Move slowly, but steadly to the ladders to the next level while in Stealth mode. You'll get there. Just don't do what I did, and get a little too greedy when you're at the top of the tower! :lol

Okay, so how do I acquire a black soul gem? Can they be bought (and where?)?

I remember getting some for a quest in the Mage's Guild, but I need one now to activate a Daedric Shrine... any help would be appreciated.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Vyse The Legend said:
Just finished the main quest:

Minus the Aid for Bruma quest and having to close all those gates, it was pretty dam good. My favorite part was Paradise. Finding out that Tamriel is actually one of the planes of the Daedra lords was quite surprising! I'm kinda sad Martin died though. =( I can't wait to get my Dragon Armor!

You don't HAVE to do the Aid for Bruma stuff, or you can do only some of the cities. For every city you help, you get a soldier from that city for the battle at the Great Gate. Otherwise you get a lesser fighter in that city's soldier's place. It makes keeping Martin alive during that battle easier if you've gone to each city, but it's not absolutely essential.

Oh! Forgot to mention in my earlier post that I returned to Umbra's lair to try to grab a Ring of Nighteyes. I found the chest that I was missing, but only came up with some gold, two soul gems (one greater!), and something else of minor value. But no ring. I'm level 10, if that matters.

I also made the foolish attempt to take out Umbra by dropping her into the pit as someone suggested. Color me suprised when the floor reset itself, and there's Umbra, standing there without a scratch on her, and proceeds to kick my ass. :D

3rdman

Futurevoid said:

I must be really blind then because I've been to a lot of them and haven't found one...except for the "great stone"...but that must be part of a quest I haven't done yet.

LakeEarth

I bought the game the other day, so I'm very early in. I got out of the dungeon and made it to Ferrel and talked to him. I explored the city, sold my stuff, realized that carrying all those bones from the caves was a collossal waste of space, and started joining some guilds. A guy asked me to help protect his two sons protect the farm, and they both got killed during the battle. I'm thinking about resetting to do that quest again, but then I think how many quests are in this game? Why repeat them, I completed it! They all died. Mission Completed!

Minor Gripe - stealing things. I went to talk to the barmaid and accidentally my aimer came across a tall cup right in front of her. I should be a bit more careful with that kind of thing, but it was an accident, the guards should understand.

I've been playing for nearly 3 hours and I haven't leveled up yet (yes I know I have to sleep for it to happen), is this normal?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
LakeEarth said:
I've been playing for nearly 3 hours and I haven't leveled up yet (yes I know I have to sleep for it to happen), is this normal?

Yup. If you don't focus on leveling your major skillset, you could do a lot of exploring without gaining levels.

Top Bottom