• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

3rdman

ocelittle said:
Where in the church do you pray?
I went to that main...thing in the middle of it, and pressed A, and nothing happened...I think a message popped up, but I was still a vampire.

Are you infected? Or are you already a full blown vampire? There may be more to do if you're already feeding...You might want to try the Church in Skingrad...I think the priest there mentioned that a woman in the Church has a special healing ability.

Baron Aloha said:
The whole "enemies level up with you" thing is somewhat misunderstoond, I think.

Its true that all of the enemies level up with you but the vast majority of them only level up to a certain point. For instance a mud crab might only be able to level up to level 3. There are some special enemies in the game (like ogres) that are always a certain number of levels ahead of you but they are few and far between from what I can tell and I'm at level 20 right now.

My warrior is at 18. At 20 are you seeing Daedric stuff yet? Or mostly still ebony? (I'm beginning to see more and more Ebony).

Also, anyone remember any dungeons that have mostly humanoids in them?

Speevy

Banned
I personally don't care about how hard the game is, because that's easily forgettable and in fact makes you a better warrior.

What's weird for me is the lack of items in house chests. I'm sure they could easily switch up what you find.

IJoel

I've found the difficulty curve interesting to say the least.

Basically it starts easy, gets hard when you get into the low tens, then gets easy again. I'm having an easy time with my pure mage. Basically I conjure a Daedroth which keeps the mobs busy while I blast them to bits with spells.

There are instances when it gets hard though, for example, when dealing with multiple nether liches. They are downright evil and hard to kill. Multiple gloom wraiths and those conjurers in the Oblivion plane make for challenging situations as well.

For the record, I'm currently level 26.

ocelittle

Banned
IJoel said:
I've found the difficulty curve interesting to say the least.

Basically it starts easy, gets hard when you get into the low tens, then gets easy again. I'm having an easy time with my pure mage. Basically I conjure a Daedroth which keeps the mobs busy while I blast them to bits with spells.

There are instances when it gets hard though, for example, when dealing with multiple nether liches. They are downright evil and hard to kill. Multiple gloom wraiths and those conjurers in the Oblivion plane make for challenging situations as well.

For the record, I'm currently level 26.

Dang, what's your hour count so far?

Magic users level up WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY faster than anything else.

Though I'm not saying he has cheesed the system. I have a level 18 or so mage with 4 hours played. There are super lame spells for pretty much every magic type that you can just recast over and over and they level you REAL quickly. No enemies needed. Just find a bed and go at it. The "conjure skeleton" spell you start with can level up in like 8 casts indefinitely.

Sysgen

Ghost said:
I love XBL, i have my friends page up and i can see that Sysgen is getting his ass kicked

Sysgen
2585 Online

Playing Oblivion
Level: 12 Health: 83/226

HEAL SYSGEN HEAL!

:D

That's so cool you can see my health. This may of been when i was being chased by two trolls near Imperial City. They killed my horse, for the second time. I'm a combat character with mana that doesn't regenerate too fast and I had no health potions. So I get away
by jumping in the river near the city
and then come across some little shack near the city and I ask the proprieter about any rumors. She says somethig of the sort "If you see a troll run". I'm like, thanks for the advice. What is so cool about that is that it was in context to my narrow escape.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Magic users level up WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY faster than anything else.

Though I'm not saying he has cheesed the system. I have a level 18 or so mage with 4 hours played. There are super lame spells for pretty much every magic type that you can just recast over and over and they level you REAL quickly. No enemies needed. Just find a bed and go at it. The "conjure skeleton" spell you start with can level up in like 8 casts indefinitely.

Know any good spells for levelling up destruction spells?

IJoel

This is mostly true, though it takes much longer to level on, later on (as it should.) That said, I've earned my keep with 35+ hours into it. :p

Speevy

Banned
Well, if you've done nothing but cast skeletons/level up, you're going to need a lot of prepartion for battle. It's not as if all this power-leveling is going to save you. In fact, I recommend someone just use this to max out their level, put the difficulty slider to max, and see how long they last. :D

Also, power-leveling was Morrowind's thing too, so you can't really complain. I spent so many hours just casting restore on myself.

Pimpbaa

I keep restarting the game cause i don't like the way my character looks :( My first time, I played a female dark elf. But really couldn't make her look good (due to my lack of artistic skills on what looks good, not the games character creation), I restarted and made a male imperial so I could be a rogue'ish type character flirting with the ladies and such. I had him pretty much looking like a better version of me, until a couple hours in I noticed my body was deathly blue for some reason! Seems like you can't put a beard on your character without drastically changing the color of your body. This needs to be fixed!!!

Seriously, who cares what your character looks like? I play in first person mode all the time, and it doesn't effect the way that others react to you. I can think of a number of reasons for starting a new character, but how he/she looks is not one of them.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Seriously, who cares what your character looks like? I play in first person mode all the time, and it doesn't effect the way that others react to you. I can think of a number of reasons for starting a new character, but how he/she looks is not one of them.

What if you character has an ass for a face? Not even then? :D

Mashing

Well, the thing about power leveling is that if you do that with your major skills (no harm in power leveling your minor skills... I do it constantly), you will invaribly end up with major skills woefully underdeveloped and you'll be facing mobs that rape you because of your weak major skills at your current level. I try to avoid doing that as much as I can but some of my major skills are ridicously easy to level up (alchemy being the biggest culprit).

Sysgen

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Some of us are anal :) I restarted 3 times in the beginning.

Speevy

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

It actually does. In Morrowind, your clothes mattered. This game does away with that, but they still know what your race and specializations are. I've been referred to as a mage and an argonian several times.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Speevy said:
It actually does. In Morrowind, your clothes mattered. This game does away with that, but they still know what your race and specializations are. I've been referred to as a mage and an argonian several times.

At the shrine of Malacath, the orc worshippers didn't like me because I wasn't "ugly." (I'm a Dark Elf)

Also, I'm called Dunmer quite frequently.

Speevy said:

Your Race and Class are what spur them to make those comments, not how you acutally look. And in Morrowind, which obviously didn't have the character creation system that Oblivion has, the clothes mattered because they were tagged as being "rags" or "fine". Again, it wasn't based on what your character looked like.

When I created my Oblvion character, I went through and made him look decent, but I didn't spend an hour trying to get him to look just right. I was happy with the way he looked and actually wanted to get on with the game, so at that point I finished up and got to it. I've never thought about it a second time after that, even when he comes up in the inventory screen.

I guess I just don't understand putting time into the game, then thinking, "damn my character looks bad. I'm going to restart so I can get one that looks better." On the ohter hand, I can totally understand someone saying, "Damn, this thief character isn't working out for me, I wonder what it would be like if I were a Mage." And then starting over. Your characters look as no impact on the way the game plays.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This is crazy. I found a ring of 100% shock resistance. Then, an hour later, I found a ring of 100% frost resistance. And I'm a dark elf, so I'm about 75% fire resistant.

So, at level 22, I'm almost completely immune to any element spells.

Does anyone know if element spells still damage armor, even if you're immune to them through rings/spells?

Numoris

How do I kill Dread Zombies? I hack and slash these things for 5-10 minutes and I can never finish them off. They regen health so quickly and my fatique just wears down, so my attacks have almost no effect.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Numoris said:
How do I kill Dread Zombies? I hack and slash these things for 5-10 minutes and I can never finish them off. They regen health so quickly and my fatique just wears down, so my attacks have almost no effect.

At the point where you're fighting dread zombies, you really should have an enchanted weapon. I have a sword that does 20 fire for every hit. It takes them down nicely. Normal weapons are almost useless against them.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
My warrior is at 18. At 20 are you seeing Daedric stuff yet? Or mostly still ebony? (I'm beginning to see more and more Ebony).

Not for a while. I saw some deadric stuff on the plane of Oblivion several levels back (before I completed the main quest) but that's it. In the regular world all I've seen is ebony armor/weapons and some glass weapons.

I read somewhere (maybe Gamefaqs?) that daedric stuff doesn't start showing up regularly until around level 30-35. Don't know how accurate that is though.

Numoris

FlyinJ said:
At the point where you're fighting dread zombies, you really should have an enchanted weapon. I have a sword that does 20 fire for every hit. It takes them down nicely. Normal weapons are almost useless against them.

I'm still using the sword I picked up when I joined the Blades. Guess I should use the Sigil Stones that have accumulated in my pack. :lol Thanks.

OMFG, I'm on level 9 and I've found a rod that casts a blizzard attack for 80 damage :lol :lol :lol

It's so WONDERFUL when you face the great champion of the Arena and you win with TWO attacks in less than half a second... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Speevy

Banned
Vaandaviii said:
OMFG, I'm on level 9 and I've found a rod that casts a blizzard attack for 80 damage :lol :lol :lol

It's so WONDERFUL when you face the great champion of the Arena and you win with TWO attacks in less than half a second... :lol :lol :lol :lol

Your difficulty slider needs to be upped. He should be able to kill you in just as many hits.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I've had to catch up with a 2 and a half month backlog of work, this game isn't helping with that, I'm loving it, props Steve, Vark and everyone else involved :D

I've got a question. Loot scales with level right? Does that include loot you already have on you? My bow seems to gain an attack power every time I level, and I can't figure out if that's because I bust ass on agility or if it does it on its own.

Also, is it worth saving easy loot scores like the Night Mother's Tomb for higher levels? I've done it at 8 and again at 10 and while it was upgraded a bit, it was still pretty meh.

"Does that include loot you already have on you? My bow seems to gain an attack power every time I level, and I can't figure out if that's because I bust ass on agility or if it does it on its own."

The higher your agility, the more damage you do with a bow.

Baron Aloha said:
Not for a while. I saw some deadric stuff on the plane of Oblivion several levels back (before I completed the main quest) but that's it. In the regular world all I've seen is ebony armor/weapons and some glass weapons.

I read somewhere (maybe Gamefaqs?) that daedric stuff doesn't start showing up regularly until around level 30-35. Don't know how accurate that is though.

Oh damn I hope not! I can get to 22 pretty easily, but it will be a pure grind beyond that. Oh well, my blades and hand to hand are both at like 30... trying to kill high level mobs with that should level them quickly.

Speevy said:
The power of your weapon increases because your strength is higher.

This is only a tad bit of it. Not the most important thing.

As your skill level rises your attack rating goes up much faster. I'm using blunts. When I had Umbra's Sword it went up like 2 attack all the time I had it. My blunts went up much further than that. Same goes for armor...

I'll also just say that Armorer 75+ is the best skill ever. Boosting equipment to 125 does amazing, amazing things :).

Pimpbaa

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I guess I just don't understand putting time into the game, then thinking, "damn my character looks bad. I'm going to restart so I can get one that looks better." On the ohter hand, I can totally understand someone saying, "Damn, this thief character isn't working out for me, I wonder what it would be like if I were a Mage." And then starting over. Your characters look as no impact on the way the game plays.

Character looks are very important to me. They are either someone I want to be or someone I want to do. If I don't feel nothing for the character, I have no motivation to play. This applies moreso to games with predefined characters. But I still like to have my character just right in Oblivion. I didn't even really enjoy Morrowind until mods that fixed the horrendous default faces came out. I want someone to come out with a mod for Oblivion that has better looking defaults for the faces (the randomizer doesn't really seem all that random). Someone needs to make a mod to fix the hair as well. Some of the hair for the ladies make them look like they have a receding hairline! WTF!?

Karg

FINALLY. This thread has been killing me as my 360 was out for repair (from shipping it out to receiving it, about a week and a half total). They ended up replacing my console so tonight I can finally play my Obliviton!! My anticipation has been insane as I read about everyone's experience.

belgurdo

Banned
This is only a tad bit of it. Not the most important thing.

As your skill level rises your attack rating goes up much faster. I'm using blunts. When I had Umbra's Sword it went up like 2 attack all the time I had it. My blunts went up much further than that. Same goes for armor...

I'll also just say that Armorer 75+ is the best skill ever. Boosting equipment to 125 does amazing, amazing things :).

How can you boost armorer quickly?

rod

Banned
noone can tell me who can train my stats higher? all the guilds i go to seem to tell me "this person has tough you all he/she knows" basically, and yes i know you can only do it a certain amount of times per level but ive gone up 3 levels now and they still say they tought me all they know :lol and it says i still have 5 "bought stats" available for my level, WHERE ARE MORE INTELLIGENT TRAINERS GODDAMIT :D

Pimpbaa said:
Character looks are very important to me. They are either someone I want to be or someone I want to do. If I don't feel nothing for the character, I have no motivation to play. This applies moreso to games with predefined characters. But I still like to have my character just right in Oblivion. I didn't even really enjoy Morrowind until mods that fixed the horrendous default faces came out. I want someone to come out with a mod for Oblivion that has better looking defaults for the faces (the randomizer doesn't really seem all that random). Someone needs to make a mod to fix the hair as well. Some of the hair for the ladies make them look like they have a receding hairline! WTF!?

To each his own I suppose. But for me the way the character looks takes a backseat to how the character plays. Especially in an RPG like this one. My skills/class/abilities are far more important to how much I "get into" the character. Considering you spend 99% of your time not looking at the character, and how they look doesn't impact how the game plays, than I really could care less, and I wouldn't restart a game because of how they look.

Like I said, to each his own. Obviously it means a lot to you, and some others here.

rod

Banned
this game really sucked me in...i mean i played for 14+ hours yesterday, prior to that i hated the game :lol , last night i went to sleep and i could NOT get the field daytime music out of my head. when i closed my eyes all i saw was forestry. last game to do something similar like this was lumines :lol

Pimpbaa

Kung Fu Jedi said:
To each his own I suppose. But for me the way the character looks takes a backseat to how the character plays. Especially in an RPG like this one. My skills/class/abilities are far more important to how much I "get into" the character. Considering you spend 99% of your time not looking at the character, and how they look doesn't impact how the game plays, than I really could care less, and I wouldn't restart a game because of how they look.

Like I said, to each his own. Obviously it means a lot to you, and some others here.

Well, restarting the first time was also partly because I didn't really want to be an assassin (had already joined the
dark brotherhood
). Decided I wanted to be more a charismatic thief. I did that, but the damn beard sliders turned my body blue and I really couldn't deal with that.

Man, I decided to try for the Ring of Night Eye in Umbra's dungeon last night. I didn't get the ring but I decided to go ahead and try to take out Umbra while I was there. She f'ing destroyed me. I lasted for a couple of minutes with a few spell attacks and some good sneak attacks but she would just dismantle me in 3-5 good hits regardless of whether I was blocking or not. Of course I went in there at level 10 so I figured I'd just come back when I'm a bit more powerful and have some better equipment/spells. Quite a lesson in humility though. :lol

ocelittle

Banned
I'm very pissed off at this game right now...this whole vampirism thing has essentially broken the game for me:

My vampirism has gotten SO bad that I can't talk to anyone, they all tell me to get away, no matter what time of day it is.

I found the cure vampirism quest, but I got stuck when I got to this witch that will cure me if I get her 4 GRAND soul gems...

WHERE THE FUCK DO I GET FOUR OF THEM?!??

This vampirism thing is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a game, I can't proceed until I get cured...fuck that.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
ocelittle said:
I'm very pissed off at this game right now...this whole vampirism thing has essentially broken the game for me:

My vampirism has gotten SO bad that I can't talk to anyone, they all tell me to get away, no matter what time of day it is.

I found the cure vampirism quest, but I got stuck when I got to this witch that will cure me if I get her 4 GRAND soul gems...

WHERE THE FUCK DO I GET FOUR OF THEM?!??

This vampirism thing is the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a game, I can't proceed until I get cured...fuck that.

You need to feed. Approach a sleeping NPC, activate them, and you'll have the option of feeding on them. If you do that once a day, everyone will think you're normal.

Top Bottom