• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Sysgen

Mayor McCheese said:
Jeezus! Is there a way to buy lockpicks?! The Theif guild guy was selling them for a while, but after the first quest he stopped. I'm always breaking them because my lockpicking skills are weaksauce. Every quest I have now requires lockpicking and I don't have any left. My alternative is to sit on the couch for hours casting a lockpick spell on a door to max out my Alteration to allow me to create a spell. That's stupid lame though. If I could just buy a shitload of them I'd be happy. :(

Lock picking is easy. It's a minor skill for me and once I figured it out I get through most locks and if I'm down to one I just save before using it and reload :)

Nudge the tumbler up, you will notice a difference in the time it stays at the top. When it drops right down the next time just hit the A button just as it hits the top. I've never seen the tumblers drop fast two times in a row. It still takes timing but you'll get it.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Sysgen said:
Lock picking is easy. It's a minor skill for me and once I figured it out I get through most locks and if I'm down to one I just save before using it and reload :)

Nudge the tumbler up, you will notice a difference in the time it stays at the top. When it drops right down the next time just hit the A button just as it hits the top. I've never seen the tumblers drop fast two times in a row. It still takes timing but you'll get it.

that's probably more a result of your skill than anything with the game. I see two fast drops in a row on almost every "very hard" lock I try to pick.

GreekWolf

Dr_Cogent said:
Also, what's the highest level anyone has gotten to here? I am getting the feeling at level 20 that I am getting near the max.
I'm level 30 and still find the game fairly challenging on the default difficulty setting.

Once you hit 28 or so, the only creatures you'll find in Oblivion are
the Xivilai, Dremora Valkynaz Knights and Dremora Valkynaz Mages.

Still random creatures wandering the countryside... although most dungeons are full of
skeleton champions, lich, deranged zombies, vampire lords and wraith.

Strangely enough, I haven't encountered my first gloom wraith... but the guide says they are extreme high level mobs. So maybe they'll start spawning once I hit 35 or so.

Sysgen

3rdman said:
I don't think its the difficulty of the enemies or the weekness of your charecter...the problem is that at lvl. 20 or so, you charecter isn't really ready to handle those baddies. If anything, they shouldn't be introduced until lvl. 25 or so.

The game is broken at that level. The 3 guards get owned before even stepping outside, so how is it that I'm supposed to "cleanup" by myself when the guards are leveled higher than me.

Sysgen

Nerevar said:
that's probably more a result of your skill than anything with the game. I see two fast drops in a row on almost every "very hard" lock I try to pick.

Perhaps. I just got the message that when I break a pick one of the tumblers doesn't reset so I wonder if I'm a journeyman or an apprentice.

Well, I finished all the Thieves Guild quests last night. The last quest was exhausting but really satisfying. I must say that I'm really happy with my thief/assassin character. As long as I sneak attack, I have been able to kill most enemies in 1 hit. Coupled with all my enchanted gear that has a combined effect of 95% invisibility and my extremely high sneak skill, no one see's me coming. :D I think the Dark Brotherhood quests are going to be a cakewalk. I'm slightly apprehensive about the main quest though; it seems like most of those missions require a lot of head to head fighting, and that kills a lot of my advantage.

Mayor McCheese said:
And where does one get the Nocturnal Shrine quest?

Nocturnal Daedric Quest
Artifact: Skeleton Key
Level Requirement: 10
The location of this shrine is given to you by Alves Uvenim, who lives in the Leyawiin Mages Guild. Speak to NPC's around shrine to start. By the way, upon completion of this quest, you will get the skeleton key. This master key will unlock every lock in the game. w00t!

---------------

Nocturnal's Shrine is on the EAST road leading out of Leyawiin, just keep following that road up North and you will find the shrine on the right side of the road.

---------------

The Skeleton Key is the best item in the game. Go get it now!

Karg

Also for lockpicks, if you haven't done that Shrine Quest, there is a NPC named something Shady in front of the Imperial City. If you walk behind the stables and hug the wall you will see him. He had about 30 picks on him when I last checked. Just another source for you.

gblues

Banned
mmlemay said:
Nocturnal Daedric Quest
Artifact: Skeleton Key
Level Requirement: 10
The location of this shrine is given to you by Alves Uvenim, who lives in the Leyawiin Mages Guild. Speak to NPC's around shrine to start. By the way, upon completion of this quest, you will get the skeleton key. This master key will unlock every lock in the game. w00t!

---------------

Nocturnal's Shrine is on the EAST road leading out of Leyawiin, just keep following that road up North and you will find the shrine on the right side of the road.

---------------
The Skeleton Key is the best item in the game. Go get it now!

Spoiler tags, motherfucker. Do you use it?

Question about completing the thieves guild:
WTF, that's it? The guild hall is just some guy's fucking two room house. No one is in it either besides freakin Armand. I've got to be missing something. And you get nothing for being guild master aside from the cowl? Lame.

Son of Godzilla said:
Question about completing the thieves guild:
WTF, that's it? The guild hall is just some guy's fucking two room house. No one is in it either besides freakin Armand. I've got to be missing something. And you get nothing for being guild master aside from the cowl? Lame.

Yeah, I'm a bit underwhelmed, especially after busting my ass during that last quest. I guess it'll make the Brotherhood quests a bit easier, and stealing is a total cakewalk now (I have more gold than I know what to do with).
I still kinda feel like the Grey Fox got the better end of the deal...

Jugendstil said:
Yeah, I'm a bit underwhelmed, especially after busting my ass during that last quest. I guess it'll make the Brotherhood quests a bit easier, and stealing is a total cakewalk now (I have more gold than I know what to do with).
I still kinda feel like the Grey Fox got the better end of the deal...

Not only that, but
Every other faction line has some sort of weekly reward for being in charge of the place. Nuttin for thieves

Ugh, the reward for the Thief Questline is the best in the game...

With it, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, and never have to face the consquences... (if you're strong enough at least)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Is the thieves guild quests any good compared to the dark brotherhood? I absolutely loved the db quests, starting doing the mage guild quests and ofund them terrible. I've only done part of the thieves guild but the mage guild quests gave me such a bad taste for guilds that I had stopped doing them.

For people that have completed multiple guilds, how would you rate them in comparison to each other?

the only one I've finished is db but

db - complete - loved it
thieves guild - maybe 50%? - so so
mages guild - maybe 75%? - sucktastic
I haven't touched any of the other guilds. I was hoping to find one as awesome as the dark brotherhood.

I don't much care about the rewards. Just interested in the story/characters/quests

Yeah, it's a rip off.
It seems like all the other thieves in the guild are totally incompetent. Amusei, Armand and that dumb elf girl all just stand around and demand things of you. JERKS

Ugh, the reward for the Thief Questline is the best in the game...

With it, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, and never have to face the consquences... (if you're strong enough at least)

That's cool and all, but I've never had much of a problem being caught for all the stealing/killing I've done.

For people that have completed multiple guilds, how would you rate them in comparison to each other?

I've only completed the Thieves Guild quests and a few of the Brotherhood ones, but from what I know, it seems like the Brotherhoods are the most entertaining. The Mage Guild quests sound tedious, but all the spell casting abilities you gain from doing them seem pretty bad ass.

Pellham

Banned
the very last thiefs guild quest is amazingly well done. i haven't done any of the DB stuff yet so I can't compare, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also found the ending for it to be quite ironic.

gblues said:
Spoiler tags, motherfucker. Do you use it?

I apologize. I didn't realize that was a spoiler since it had been mentioned dozens of times in this thread. It's hard to tell what is and isn't a spoiler with a game as massive as this.

I've done most of the thieves guild quests and found them to be fun, and I've started on the Mage Guild quests and so far they just feel mundane. Brotherhood quests will come in time, but I may wait until after the Fighters Guild to start them. Save the best for last! :)

The Fighter's Guild quests are okay, but usually nothing special. I'm only 75% of the way through, but it looks like things are starting to get better. Most of the quests are the "go here, kill this" type of quests. However, they do go by pretty quickly as you only have to do two or three quests for each level.

GreekWolf

mmlemay said:
The Fighter's Guild quests are okay, but usually nothing special. I'm only 75% of the way through, but it looks like things are starting to get better. Most of the quests are the "go here, kill this" type of quests. However, they do go by pretty quickly as you only have to do two or three quests for each level.
I still think the Daedric quests are the best in the game ( from what I've encountered ). The risk-to-reward ratio is phenomenal.

My two favorites are Boethia and Malacath. I really wanted to complete Molag Bal's quest for the
legendary mace
... but I just can't bring myself to do it. Too sadistic.

newsguy

This game is raping my free time. I was about to trade it back but instead picked up the guide to give me that little push I needed to complete a quest and BAM! I'm addicted. I'm a Dark Elf prowler in the thieves guild an I'm imfamous as fuck. The nine think I'm a douchebag and when I pray they call me dirty names. Damn this game and it's fantasy crack.

snaildog

Cheers, I'll look him up. Hey, does anyone know a way to get the game to auto-configure your hardware settings again, like it does when you first run the game? I want to see what it recommends for my new video card.

slayn said:
Is the thieves guild quests any good compared to the dark brotherhood? I absolutely loved the db quests, starting doing the mage guild quests and ofund them terrible. I've only done part of the thieves guild but the mage guild quests gave me such a bad taste for guilds that I had stopped doing them.

db - complete - loved it
I haven't touched any of the other guilds. I was hoping to find one as awesome as the dark brotherhood.

I don't much care about the rewards. Just interested in the story/characters/quests

Between all the people playing on my Xbox I've got everything but Fighters Guild done.

DB - Best in game. Whenever it starts to get tedious it changes up what's expected. The five or six duels you get from dead drops are so much fun.
Thieves - Pretty good. I think there's too much fighting for thieves, but the final heist is pure Indiana Jones.
Mages - Terribly boring. The initiation quests are really well done but once you get in it's nothing but dungeon crawling and necro slaying. Best reward by far though IMO.
Arena - Okay I guess. Only seen it done low level so wasn't particularly challenging, but eh.

Also speaking of Daedra quests,
WTF does Sheogath's staff do? I forget the name but it seems to do nothing at all.

As far as the thieves guild reward:
The cowl is neat, sure. And I guess having a second identity is great too although I don't really need it, but the whole "There's now a real Thieves Guild" is really lame because there isn't, and no cool stipend for being leader like DB and Mages.

belgurdo

Banned
slayn said:

db - complete - loved it

Having to be the Mage's Guild's bitch for several hours just so you could get the ability to enchant weapons was the pits. Thank God for mods that let you put magic making stands in churches

Pellham

Banned
snaildog said:
Anyone else playing through as a goodie-good and missing out on the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves guilds too? :(

i applaud your role playing but you might wanna try an evil char next round. considerably more fun.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i should start doing the dark brotherhood quests. i've been doing a lot of thieves' guild stuff, and i was worried about my infamy outstripping my fame, but now i've got a pretty big margin to work with.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Son of Godzilla said:
Also speaking of Daedra quests,
WTF does Sheogath's staff do? I forget the name but it seems to do nothing at all.

Sheogorath's staff is called the Wabbajack. Try casting it on a creature.

Anyone lucky enough to have the PC version should check out these two mods for sure:
Replaces LOD textures: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=328524
and normal maps: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=330112

Texture mod:
Landscape%20LOD%20Texture%20Replacement-2.jpg

Before:
http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Landscape LOD Texture Replacement-3.jpg
After:
http://www.tessource.net/files/images/Landscape LOD Texture Replacement-4.jpg

Both mods combined:
Before:
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a70dfd1864.jpg
After:
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/a19c8d2f1a.jpg

Stryder

I'm having a problem, everytime I go and talk to people they ask me if I'm feeling ok, and sometimes they suggest I should go and see a healer. Sometimes they react really hostile to me and won't even talk, have I got some sort of a disease? I don't think I have because I've checked my stats and they seem normal, who can I see to get cured from this affliction I have? Can anyone tell me?

Stryder

It seems that I have that, people tell me 'You won't get any of my blood', but I don't have vampirism in my spell effects. :-/
And my 'days as a vampire' stat is 0.

Stryder

Yeah, I did that, didn't change anything.
It sounds like I have vampirism, but it isn't reflected on my character sheet.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Stryder said:
Yeah, I did that, didn't change anything.
It sounds like I have vampirism, but it isn't reflected on my character sheet.

Look in the "active effects" tab of your spell menu (it's the right-most tab). Hover over the effects listed; look to see if any are from diseases or vampirism.

Stryder

Ok, I'll give that a try Keyser, SteveMeister, I've checked that, and everything seems normal, no vampirism nor diseases.

edit: I also just got stuck inside a rock, and had a load my save game :(

raYne

:lol!

I'm watching my bro play through the game and he bumped into the "Adoring Fan" guy in the middle of a town after abandoning him WEEKS ago in the middle of the forest. He didn't even say a thing to him, but the fan starts following him around like everything's normal. This of course completely annoys my bro since that's why he abandoned him in the first place.

My bro formulates a plan to get rid of him once and for all, so he leads him into the well where you have to retrieve the ring of burden. He swam around for a while trying not to run out of breath, but then he starts choking and swallowing water. After he gasps a few times my bro talks to him and he stands up in the water and they have a conversation like everything's fine! :)lol) Once the conversation ends, after a few seconds he finally gives in a drowns... his limp body floats to the ceiling of the well. Then my bro robs him, steals his clothes and leaves the body at the bottom of the well.

:lol

firex

funny bit while I built a masochistic spell to level destruction: I made this basic spell - 3 fire damage to self over 1 second, easily spammable - and I'm casting it after I created it just to see if it works and raises destruction. Some random NPC from the arcane university comes in, looks at me, and says "You're a bright one," with a genuinely sarcastic tone of voice.

and about Alteration magic... I created a custom spell which just barely goes past my maximum magic, and so I can never cast it, despite having 100 skill. Though maybe I can enchant something with fortified alteration to be able to cast it now. It was a basic shield all type spell, just take aegis and add in fire, frost and shock shield effects at the same magnitude, but over half the duration.

KarishBHR said:
how the hell do I get this will-o-wisp things... I keep dying!

Use a silence spell or an item enchanted with Silence.
The Ebony Sword that you get from one of the Daedric Quests is GREAT for this.

Otherwise, just hit them with an enchanted long sword or some other longer weapon that allows you to keep your distance. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!

firex said:
funny bit while I built a masochistic spell to level destruction: I made this basic spell - 3 fire damage to self over 1 second, easily spammable - and I'm casting it after I created it just to see if it works and raises destruction. Some random NPC from the arcane university comes in, looks at me, and says "You're a bright one," with a genuinely sarcastic tone of voice.

and about Alteration magic... I created a custom spell which just barely goes past my maximum magic, and so I can never cast it, despite having 100 skill. Though maybe I can enchant something with fortified alteration to be able to cast it now. It was a basic shield all type spell, just take aegis and add in fire, frost and shock shield effects at the same magnitude, but over half the duration.

A fort magicka would be easier.

Son of Godzilla said:
A fort magicka would be easier.

Speaking of which. Apparently if you have level 100 Destruction and Restoration (roughly), you can make a spell that can be exploited to give you infinite magicka.

All you have to do is make a Fortify Magicka 100pts for 120 seconds that also gives you a Weakness to Magic 100% for 5 seconds. Then just cast it on yourself and your magicka pool will increase by 100 each time. And since your magicka keeps increasing, you can spam it until you have a ridiculously huge magicka pool.

Stryder

Ok, so the game thinks my character is a vampire, but I am not one. The only way I see out of this is by contracting that disease so that I do become a vampire, can anyone recommend me a place where vampire's hang out so that I can go and get bit? :lol

I've already done that quest for the Count in that town (forgot the details) where you had to slay the vampires, are there more elsewhere?

Top Bottom