• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Sysgen said:
WTF at the difficulty of the Ending the Castle Siege quest. I'm doing it at level 21, combat character and it's absolutely undoable for me at normal difficulty, even two notches down difficulty. I was able to
lift the key off the dead guy to open the floor gate
but the dremora or whatever they're called follow me whereever I go making it impossible to have time to heal. There are more than a dozen of these things armed and armored to the teeth. The guards that
try and help me
also get beat down in 2 seconds. Finally I gave in and lowered the difficulty but that ruined the quest for me.

Yea, my interest nosedived completely after this mess of a mission. The thief-build just isn't designed for the main quest it seems, and the default difficulty is outrageous at that level. So overwhelmed in frustration, I eventually just scaled that bitch way down. I've since been completely turned off from the game and decided to crack open KH2. Kvatch was just heinous. I'll casually finish up the faction stuff eventually, might screw with the AI here and there, but I'm so disenchanted right now.

LakeEarth

Seth C said:
Nope. For three game days you are supposed to follow some people around town and watch what they do. It felt like it took an eternity...haha...and all for a few hundred gold. Not worth it.
You can skip a few hours in that quest, I'm sorry to tell you a bit too late. Once they stop and start working or whatever, you can move time ahead an hour, watch if they stop working, then keep nudging it an hour till the person moves off to do there next location.

Seth C

LakeEarth said:
You can skip a few hours in that quest, I'm sorry to tell you a bit too late. Once they stop and start working or whatever, you can move time ahead an hour, watch if they stop working, then keep nudging it an hour till the person moves off to do there next location.

Ah, oh well. What was the outcome of the quest for you?

LakeEarth

Seth C said:
Ah, oh well. What was the outcome of the quest for you?
Oh I got bored after the second one and moved on. When I start getting a 'monthly salary' from the fighters guild I'll waste my time on that mission again. Right now I really want to get into the mage guild above associate (as well).

KillJade

Banned
i dont understand how i get detected after i take a arrow shot and im still hiding.if you cant see me before i take the shot how do you magically see me afterwards? playing as a stealthy marksman is becoming annoying as it seems the detection system is a hit or miss. jesus...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
KillJade said:
i dont understand how i get detected after i take a arrow shot and im still hiding.if you cant see me before i take the shot how do you magically see me afterwards? playing as a stealthy marksman is becoming annoying as it seems the detection system is a hit or miss. jesus...

That part pissed the hell out of me. Even when I hid and waited for hours, I was still caught later. Fucking stupid.

firex

KillJade said:
yeah, detection is messy. But it's also really weird. You can shoot someone who isn't too far away from another person, and as long as it's not a bandit/marauder/otherwise player-optional race (i.e. if it's a goblin, or a zombie, or any "monster" choice really) you can kill it and immediately go back to hiding without alerting anyone.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Is it just me or does this game look better on my 51cm flat screen telly (non HD) then my folks 40inch Samsung LCD (8 ms). At 1080i the game looked to clean and the building edges for example to sharp.

I was using a component hook up both times, I think I will upgrade my telly to a 66cm flat/widescreen conventional TV rather then a LCD.

Im lost in this game, spending hours just exploring.
First, i bought the 360 edition (my pc can't handle even 3 year old games), having tried the PC version, i must say that a controller transforms the way the game is played. Combat with a mouse/keyboard becomes a "click-infinity" procedure (which i HATE), and i couldnt have experienced the game this way. Interface makes a difference, heh.

Secondly, how much do u think that Bethesda got out of the 360? I mean, the machine should , in theory, handle vastly superior graphics, being next gen and all. If it can't handle a decent port in a game like this, how will it compete with ps3?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Can you play PC version with the wired 360 controller? I might get it if so.

Im liking the sound of all the mods but im loving the 360s controls.

Yusaku

You guys realize with that Glarthir queset, or whatever his name is, you don't have to watch the people at all, right? You can tell him whatever you like.

pringles

I've been looking around in what feels like hundreds of fort ruins after Shadowbanish Wine, but so far only found 4. I need 2 more, anyone know if there is a merchant that sells them?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I recently noticed my luck was in the red for some reason, but it didn't say anywhere in the interface why. Has anyone else had this happen to them? A stat has been compromised without any explanation? I prayed at a chapel and it got rid of it, but I would like to know how I got it in the first place.

I'm also still waiting on those Amazon.com bastards to ship out my guide. This is getting ridiculous. I'll probably get it the moment I decide I've had enough of playing the game.

Also, what's the highest level anyone has gotten to here? I am getting the feeling at level 20 that I am getting near the max.

jarosh

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm also still waiting on those Amazon.com bastards to ship out my guide. This is getting ridiculous. I'll probably get it the moment I decide I've had enough of playing the game.
i can so relate. same situation here. i want the guide so badly but it seems like it's on back order everywhere. i feel like i want to stop playing until it arrives but i.. just.. can't.. resist. must. play. more. oblivion.

firex

Dr_Cogent said:
I recently noticed my luck was in the red for some reason, but it didn't say anywhere in the interface why. Has anyone else had this happen to them? A stat has been compromised without any explanation? I prayed at a chapel and it got rid of it, but I would like to know how I got it in the first place.

Also, what's the highest level anyone has gotten to here? I am getting the feeling at level 20 that I am getting near the max.
First question: I've had that happen to me before, too. My guess is a poison or disease hit me and I didn't see it at the time (this can especially happen if you gain a few skillups or two in combat).

Second question: I'm level 25, and according to www.oblivionmods.info my character's max level is 48.

Just put in your race, birthsign, class spec and major skills to get your level 1 stats and max level. The highest I've seen that you can get is like, level 53, and that's by going with a class spec that's way different from major skills, and taking all the major skills your class spec and race don't have bonuses in.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
jarosh said:
i can so relate. same situation here. i want the guide so badly but it seems like it's on back order everywhere. i feel like i want to stop playing until it arrives but i.. just.. can't.. resist. must. play. more. oblivion.

Gonna get the hair cut at lunch and check Walmart. Their web site has the guide for cheap, but I don't know if they will have the same price at the store.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I've found the xbox 360 pad and set up more comfortable and intuitive than any kb+m set up with other FPS I have played.

Morrowind I tried on the PC and it was horrible. Really weird how people still advocate the keyboard movement over analogue stick. Thankfully the analogues on Xbox are good so looking around isn't a chore.

Different story for FPS where guns are used and head shots make a difference. Probably helps for ranged spells too I guess.

Bottom line, both have advantages and disadvantages ^^

jarosh

Dr_Cogent said:
Gonna get the hair cut at lunch and check Walmart. Their web site has the guide for cheap, but I don't know if they will have the same price at the store.
also i'm in switzerland, so no walmarts, amazons, bestbuys or whatevers for me. only a bunch of small, crappy online stores. :(

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Can someone tell me where exaclty in the mages guild you can create your own spells??? I'm a Warlock right now and I've yet to come across it. I've been in every room in the Arcane University except one room in the Arch Mage's tower that is locked (requires a key). Is that room the spell making room?

Baron Aloha said:
Can someone tell me where exaclty in the mages guild you can create your own spells??? I'm a Warlock right now and I've yet to come across it. I've been in every room in the Arcane University except one room in the Arch Mage's tower that is locked (requires a key). Is that room the spell making room?

When you come down the stairway it's off to the left. Look for a music stand looking thing.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Baron Aloha said:

No, it's one of the doors that go into the wall in the outer courtyard. Praxocographical Center. There are altars that look sort of like music stands in there, just activate one and you can make spells. In the Chironasium are altars you use to enchant items.

Cahill

Banned
Baron Aloha said:

When you come into the Arcane University area, Head up the stairs, through the right hand gate and follow it all the way around to the very last door. There's a class outside (usually) during the day.

I didn't get much time with the game over the weekend as my parents were in town for a visit, but I'm finding my Battlemage character is ripping through the game at a much higher pace than my Thief character. The game plays so differently based on your character type and skills used. Part of that is that I'm already passed the learning curve I had when first starting the game, and knowing my way around, but a big part of it is just the different skills and focus of the game when played with a different character type.

I'm still completely addicted to the game, and love exploring every nook and cranny for new gear, which incidently I have found much better stuff at a lower level with my Battlemage than I did with my Thief as well. It's amazing to me that after nearly two weeks of playing the game pretty much exclusively, that I still just can't get enough, although I admit that I'm ready for a little GAF Graw again soon. :)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I just came across a vampire with a sword that totally breaks whatever you're holding with every hit, so i come at her with my glass axe, she swings once, im like 'omgwtfbbq' thinking she must have disarmed me and picked up the weapon (an arena opponent did this to me before, which meant i had no way to get my shit back :grr). Luckily I had my silver mace on dpad incase I came across a ghost, so i equipped that, 'You're mine now bitch', 1 swing later im like 'omgwtfbbq' again, this went on for 2 or 3 minutes as i slowly realised what was happening (looked in my inventory and noticed all my weapons there broken).

Eventually i got out of it by jumping onto the nearest rock and pelting her with arrows...untill i ran out of arrows and instead had to make do with my level 1 flare spell (you can imagine it took a while).

The worst bit is im a blunt guy so i cant even use the awesome weapon!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Thanks for answering my question guys.

I saw those music stand looking things in that one room for enchanting items and I thought they were all the same thing. I didn't know some did spells.

Is there some special shit you have to do to clear the cache? I read that holding the A button during the boot up process would do it, but I never get feedback and the load times are probably 4-5 times longer than they were when I started playing. It's excruiating!

Fast travel -> wait 1 minute for load -> walk 3 seconds to a door -> wait 30 seconds to load -> walk 2 seconds to another door -> load -> rinse and repeat.

I also have to take a second to concur about the last battle in the game being a large dollup of horseshit. I would have to save after each kill, but they came so seldom since I was in a constant state of paralyze\knockdown\disarm\burden. The buttons on my controller were useless. I had to turn the diff. slider down, compromising my own integrity and feeling cheated. It ruined the game experience for me.

It's still GOTY. Don't get me wrong.

thorns

Banned
What major skills would you have for a pure mage? Apparently having Mystcism, Illusion and Alteration can be leveled up really fast, so no need to have those as majors? Should I be wearing armor or not? I'm thinking of making a new "pure mage" character..

dante786

Banned
Ghost said:
I just came across a vampire with a sword that totally breaks whatever you're holding with every hit, so i come at her with my glass axe, she swings once, im like 'omgwtfbbq' thinking she must have disarmed me and picked up the weapon (an arena opponent did this to me before, which meant i had no way to get my shit back :grr). Luckily I had my silver mace on dpad incase I came across a ghost, so i equipped that, 'You're mine now bitch', 1 swing later im like 'omgwtfbbq' again, this went on for 2 or 3 minutes as i slowly realised what was happening (looked in my inventory and noticed all my weapons there broken).

Eventually i got out of it by jumping onto the nearest rock and pelting her with arrows...untill i ran out of arrows and instead had to make do with my level 1 flare spell (you can imagine it took a while).

The worst bit is im a blunt guy so i cant even use the awesome weapon!

Where did you find the sword, remember the location, im trying to find a bladed weapon that can stack up with umbra's sword.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
thorns said:
What major skills would you have for a pure mage? Apparently having Mystcism, Illusion and Alteration can be leveled up really fast, so no need to have those as majors? Should I be wearing armor or not? I'm thinking of making a new "pure mage" character..

I was thinking about this too for my second playthough.

Wouldnt you need at least one magic class as a major so you can raise your intelligence and willpower?

Where did you find the sword, remember the location, im trying to find a bladed weapon that can stack up with umbra's sword.

I found it on the Azure(sp?) shrine quest, I would go and find the location of the mine for you but its only open when you are on her quest.

Mayor McCheese said:
Is there some special shit you have to do to clear the cache? I read that holding the A button during the boot up process would do it, but I never get feedback and the load times are probably 4-5 times longer than they were when I started playing. It's excruiating!

I haven't had to clear my cache just yet, but I do know you have to hold it down for awhile. Someone will have to confirm, but I believe you hvae to hold down "A" until the Oblivion title screen comes up.

Ghost said:
I was thinking about this too for my second playthough.

Wouldnt you need at least one magic class as a major so you can raise your intelligence and willpower?

No. You raise intelligence and willpower through Conjuration and Mysticism (intelligence) and Alteration (willpower). Minor skills still contribute to your stat boosts.

However, I would advise that you do make Destruction a major skill. Though your minor magic skills will cap out at 100 long long long before destruction, it gives you a good baseline as to how much mana you should be using, what spells, etc.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I dont' have much experiance with the magic system, but I would probably make one of each group of 3 a major skill. Like destruction + mysticism or something.

you don't want to make all the schools major or else you will level up way too fast. Then I'd probably take acrobatics and athletics. I like having high speed and I've found those skills to be difficult and tedious to level even if they are major. And I'd probably focus on combat skills so that stuff like armorer aren't too terrible to level should I decided to take light armor later on.

I don't think I'd use light armor, at least not initially. My assassin has had no need for armor so I don't see a mage needing it either. I imagine I would play a mage very similarly under the idea of 'if I took damage, I screwed up.' Better to be able to run away as fast as possible.

slayn

Does anyone know how much damage is added based on stats? Like I know your skill in say, blade, actually changes the value of the damage for swords in your inventory so that you can see the difference. Strength also increases damage, but I don't think this increase is shown anywhere. Does anyone know if it has a great/lesser effect than your skill?

Is it something like damage += strength/10 ?

I'm curious if enchanting a set of equipment all with +agility stuff would greatly increase the damage I do with a bow or if it would only be a minor increase.

firex

thorns said:
If you're going to wear armor, go with Light Armor as the mastery is a bit more beneficial for a pure mage, and it takes up less inventory space. it's not really necessary, though. And really, the only mage skill I'd take as a major is destruction, cause it's a bit tougher to level up. Everything else you can power level easily (and even destruction is easy if you do it after you've got access to the arcane university).

I actually would recommend getting Block, Athletics, Acrobatics and a weapon skill if you want to go with a min/max approach and get a lot of stat gains. Oh, and it's not a bad idea to get speechcraft and sneak (you get no damage bonus for spells from sneaking, but you can sneak around and avoid combat easier, especially if you go with no armor - cloth boots make pretty much no noise while sneaking). Alchemy is good, too - in fact, of all the stuff that's placed under the Magic specialization, that's the one I'd really want as a major, personally (easy to level if you run around exploring a lot, and also easy to ignore if you don't want to raise it up too much). I've got a lot of fun character ideas running through my head that I want to try, which is something I haven't been able to say about an RPG I've played in a long time.

But anyway... definitely take Athletics and Acrobatics just so you get a bump in their gains. I recommended Block (or Armorer if you want, though you won't be repairing much of anything if you aren't using any armor) so you'd have a relatively useful skill that's tied into Endurance - that way if you want to get big stat gains per level (not really needed, but useful nonetheless) you'll be able to build up a lot of your caster stats by grinding Restoration/Alteration/Conjuration and so on, and you can still gain lots of endurance/agility/speed by letting Block/Athletics/Acrobatics and so on gain your levels.

slayn

I don't like the idea of making alchemy a major for *any* character.

My current character took alchemy and I gained like 3 levels in the beginning based on alchemy alone (before I knew enemies scaled with me) and it made the beginning of the game obscenely difficult.

alchemy levels up really really really fast even at high levels. Such that if you want to actualyl *use* alchemy you better be willing to gain levels like crazy.

How do I get more Magika when I level up? Right now my character has around 230 MP. I've been putting a lot of stat points into Wisdom and Intelligence but my max MP still seems pretty low especially for most of the spells I can cast.

slayn

your total magika is determined by intelligence.

the cost to cast spells is determined by your skill in that school.

willpower determines mana recharge rate. I'm pretty sure willpower isn't that important though compared to intelligence because I think it just determines a % recharge rather than a flat rate. Meaning raising your intelligence increase both total and recharge rate, while willpower only adds to the recharge rate.

So once you max Intelligence (is the max for a stat 100 btw?), then you no longer gain any MP when you gain additional levels since you can no longer add to that stat? Ugh. If I'd known this beforehand, I would have made my sign either The Apprentice or The Mage.

firex

actually, once you max intelligence, you gain MORE magic per level. It's the same with endurance - the higher it is, the more you gain per level, so maxing it sooner is better than later.

cvkpaladin said:
So once you max Intelligence (is the max for a stat 100 btw?), then you no longer gain any MP when you gain additional levels since you can no longer add to that stat? Ugh. If I'd known this beforehand, I would have made my sign either The Apprentice or The Mage.

Yep, which is why I went with The Mage when I made my Battlemage character. Although I believe there are magic items that can increate your intelligence beyond 100. Something you might even be able to make at University. Of course, you do realize that by the time you get 100 Intellgience, you'll have quite a bit of magica, and on top of that, as your skills improve in the various schools of magic, the cost to cast those spells will go down as well, restulting in your pool of magica going a lot further.

firex said:
actually, once you max intelligence, you gain MORE magic per level. It's the same with endurance - the higher it is, the more you gain per level, so maxing it sooner is better than later.

Can you confirm this? My experience (as of yesterday) seems to confirm what the previous poster said. Once your INT hits max, you're through getting more magicka. Mine capped at 400 at level 12 or so. I haven't gained a lick of it since my INT capped. I only wish I had known this beforehand...

Though my warrior has been gaining Health and Fatigue since he capped his stats.

Sysgen

Sysgen said:
WTF at the difficulty of the Ending the Castle Siege quest. I'm doing it at level 21, combat character and it's absolutely undoable for me at normal difficulty, even two notches down difficulty. I was able to
lift the key off the dead guy to open the floor gate
but the dremora or whatever they're called follow me whereever I go making it impossible to have time to heal. There are more than a dozen of these things armed and armored to the teeth. The guards that
try and help me
also get beat down in 2 seconds. Finally I gave in and lowered the difficulty but that ruined the quest for me.
Brandon F said:
Yea, my interest nosedived completely after this mess of a mission. The thief-build just isn't designed for the main quest it seems, and the default difficulty is outrageous at that level. So overwhelmed in frustration, I eventually just scaled that bitch way down. I've since been completely turned off from the game and decided to crack open KH2. Kvatch was just heinous. I'll casually finish up the faction stuff eventually, might screw with the AI here and there, but I'm so disenchanted right now.

I have to echo how Brandon responded to my post. I hope Steve is listening. This quest and it's difficulty totally destroyed that special bond I had formed with the game. The implicit immersion, the believeability of the world. Turning down the slider two notches, which I've been doing, is understandable. It's impossible to balance a game of this magnitude. When your're confronted with a situation in which this quest puts you and have to take the drastic measure of totally nuking the difficulty, it's like why am I even bothering with the game.

The 3 soldiers that you are given
when you enter the basement
never survived for me so you don't have them
to accompany you outside
to face the mass multitude of enemies that you have to clear. Just obscenely disappointing.

Top Bottom