• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you de-equip your shield on to your back in this one? I remember not being able to in Oblivion, though it's been a while since I played it.

kai3345 said:
Also, i don't have photoshop and I'm terrible in GIMP, can anyone Skyrimify my avatar?

If not thats cool too
VlJB8.png

KingK

AiTM said:
What is everybody's character name going to be?

Mine will be Drake or Drakeson. Dont know a last name yet.

I'm not positive, but I'm leaning towards Mance Rayder or Jon Snow for my first character.
Second character is for sure going to be a stealth/assassin Arya Stark.

I'm the sort of guy who refuses to create a character without sticking to their in-world naming conventions. An Imperial is Titus Mead, an Orc is Urgal gro-Shuk, a Nord is Fjordi Troll-Face, so on, and so forth. The name of my character will depend entirely on the race I pick. Currently leaning towards Argonian, Orc, or Nord.

If anyone's wanting for ideas, give me the race of the character, their traits, etc. and I'll throw out some ideas. That, or check out this link for inspiration: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Names

I think I'm going with a Nord called Wulf for my first playthrough. Maybe an Imperial called Tiberius (or something similar) or a Dark Elf called Narvajn afterwards.

Wallach

Wallach said:
So I need to pre-order this today; any place have a decent sale on it perhaps? Do pre-orders from other sites like D2D even get to pre-load?

Anyone know the answer to these, particularly the latter question? I'm not seeing any promo codes for D2D, but they're like $6 cheaper by default. I don't want to pre-order from them if you can't pre-load though.

GhaleonEB

Fantastic OP. I'll be treading lightly in this thread until the game lands, but I'll make myself nice and cozy as of next Friday.

One week! oh gosh

Deified Data said:
I'm the sort of guy who refuses to create a character without sticking to their in-world naming conventions. An Imperial is Titus Mead, an Orc is Urgal gro-Shuk, a Nord is Fjordi Troll-Face, so on, and so forth. The name of my character will depend entirely on the race I pick. Currently leaning towards Argonian, Orc, or Nord.
Nord's have the best names in lore because their last names are always titles and first names often times practically pronounceable. Literally... Skjoldr Hairy-Legs or Yngvar the Ugly.

Houston3000 said:
Nord's have the best names in lore because their last names are always titles and first names often times practically pronounceable. Literally... Skjoldr Hairy-Legs or Yngvar the Ugly.
Agreed - any race who's names include titles or personal traits are always fun, like Nords or "humanized" Argonian names (like "Eats-Babies-Happily").

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Deified Data said:
Agreed - any race who's names include titles or personal traits are always fun, like Nords or "humanized" Argonian names (like "Eats-Babies-Happily").
Lifts-Her-Tail, my friend. Lifts-Her-Tail.

Dedication Through Light said:
The quests are tailered to each character? I want to see how that works. The hardcover guide cover looks nice, hope it has detailed walkthrough and covers every sidequest.
Not all quests, but some sidequests are. The game'll actively check which dungeons you haven't explored yet and in what skills you're the most specialized, and tailor itself to that.

Rapture

AiTM said:
Damn thats a good name for a Nord.

There's a literal gold mine in Norse mythology for names that work well with Nords. Odin being one of the more obvious ones, from the tale of Beowulf alone you can get some gems like Ecgtheow (edge-thow), Hrothgar, Hygelac, Unferth just to name a few. Really great stuff and it kinda gets you in the mood for Skyrim! Check it out!

Rapture said:
There's a literal gold mine in Norse mythology for names that work well with Nords. Odin being one of the more obvious ones, from the tale of Beowulf alone you can get some gems like Ecgtheow (edge-thow), Hrothgar, Hygelac, Unferth just to name a few. Really great stuff and it kinda gets you in the mood for Skyrim! Check it out!
See, Wulf. Fits perfectly. Well, that and...

bengraven

Oh damn! Been bugging me since Morrowind.
doors actually open now a little bit, even between transitions. They crack ajar and start slowly sliding open before the loading screen comes up...will be incredibly smooth on PC!

Another thing: plants disappear when you pick them, like in NV and the Oblivion mod.

Also really cool about the loading screens:
if there's an object like a standing stone or shield displayed on the loading screen, you can rotate it while you wait for the area to load

Xenon

Damnit, I have a busy week from the 11th until the 18th. I almost want to wait until then to get this... day 1 =(

bengraven

Whiterun:
the city is big and split in two, reminds me a lot of a Nord version of Skingrad. But not only is it big, but the surrounding countryside is positively littered with houses, mills, windmills, bridges, guard towers...it almost makes the city seem even larger. I can't fucking wait to explore this area.

Hand to hand looks kind of like Witcher 1. Kind of just clubbing. Beast races
do in fact splay their claws while hitting.

Piercedveil said:
I kind of wish I was getting the CE but it just seems too overpriced.
Same here, bro. I'm voting with my wallet, that CE is just way too damned expensive for what we're getting. Maybe I should ask Beth for one, I'm giving them free marketing.

Just kidding.

Lakitu

st5fu
bengraven said:
Whiterun:
the city is big and split in two, reminds me a lot of a Nord version of Skingrad. But not only is it big, but the surrounding countryside is positively littered with houses, mills, windmills, bridges, guard towers...it almost makes the city seem even larger. I can't fucking wait to explore this area.

Hand to hand looks kind of like Witcher 1. Kind of just clubbing.

Shit. Whiterun sounds so good. But from all the media, I'm really anxious to go to Windhelm and Markarth.

bengraven

Lakitu said:
Shit. Whiterun sounds so good. But from all the media, I'm really anxious to go to Windhelm and Markarth.

I'll check in with those if I see them. I'm excited for them as well as Solitude, which I believe is the largest city in the game.

I'm really hoping for a narrow laned, gothic, Skingrad like city in the game, too.

Blue Ninja said:
Same here, bro. I'm voting with my wallet, that CE is just way too damned expensive for what we're getting.

I wish they would just sell that art book separately :p That's basically the main thing I want in it.

Zafir

Piercedveil said:
I kind of wish I was getting the CE but it just seems too overpriced.
Like wise. The dragon looks pretty nice.

£130 is just far too much though. Max I'd have paid is £80 or something probably.

Paznos

Dorfdad said:
Where is PS3 footage!!!!!!!!!?
Seriously.... this is suppose to be a "new" engine right? are they that ashamed of how it looks they won't even show any footage whatsoever?

Zafir said:
Like wise. The dragon looks pretty nice.

£130 is just far too much though. Max I'd have paid is £80 or something probably.

I'd do $100 max. I can't imagine paying the price for a "making-of" DVD, a book, and a little PVC statue. I just can't do it lol.

Amir0x

Banned
Another OT whose layout and simplistic, straight forward style appeals to me. This is exactly the type of OT I tend to read.

Good work

bengraven

Damn, some of these open plains/tundra areas are massive. And have
low-hanging fog that you can walk through

Mud crabs remind me of radscorpions the way they walk.

Amir0x said:
Another OT whose layout and simplistic, straight forward style appeals to me. This is exactly the type of OT I tend to read.

Good work
Thanks man!

Nice to see so many people like my work. Feels good man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom