• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Skirn said:
Great OT. :)

Anyone rolled a Necromancer-like character in a TES game before? How are the summoned creatures' fighting prowess?

And a friend just texted me that there are [marked spoiler]. What a fucking ass-hat for spoiling that surprise.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I just spoiled myself quoting your post to respond to your other comment. Oh well.

Anyway, conjuration is usually pretty potent. The nice thing is that creatures summoned typically scale in the same way all of the other things scale when you mess with the difficulty options; you might cause less damage with a fire spell if you're playing on the harder settings, but whatever you summon is not affected by that. Note that I don't know if that remains true in Skyrim, but typically in TES summoning is quite useful. As for Necromancy specifically, it is not something you really have been able to engage in as a player since it is seen as a dark art and the Mages' Guilds actively try to expunge it as a practice. Even in Morrowind when you could learn a spell from a particular necromancer it fell under conjuration as a skill.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
What I did on fast travel in Oblivion was just not use it until I had exhausted any and all points of interest, dungeons, towns, etc. between points A and B. If I found that there was nothing new to see, then use it. Otherwise, walk that shit.

SamuraiX-

Skirn said:

Anyone rolled a Necromancer-like character in a TES game before? How are the summoned creatures' fighting prowess?

And a friend just texted me that there are
. What a fucking ass-hat for spoiling that surprise.
You should edit that out, man.

Posting spoilers in the OT before the game is even out should really be restricted.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
toot toot

Nice thread, Blue Ninja. I like that it's comprehensive, and not just a series of bloated images. Good job son.

Rapture

Ah man great job on the OT, and of course you post it RIGHT after i go to bed! oh well, fantastic thread none the less, and thanks for doing a little history recap for those of us who didn't get a chance to read the books that apparently cover those 200 years in between games haha.

Skirn

Sorry to whomever highlighted it. Thought it was enough to have it under spoiler tags. It wasn't my intent to spoil those who didn't ask for it. I should've put a warning before the spoiler-marking.

Simo

Blue Ninja said:
It had to. :lol

I was gonna do it at 11:11 am GMT, then at 11:11am GMT+1 (my own local time), but because I was waiting for Nick Breckon to contact me I postponed it to 11:11am Bethesda time. :lol

And there's one tiny detail in the banner some of SkyrimGAF (if such a thing even exists) might notice if they compare it with the version I showed them a couple of days ago.

I missed it at first but now I see 'em. DRAGONS! Curious as to what you was waiting for from Breckon though...

Wow so many memories of Oblivion come back now. It was my first Elder Scroll game. Hoping to spend that many hours in Skyrim too.

Crazetex

Wait, Dunmer don't get a one-handed bonus? I thought they were the fireball-and-longsword masters. Also, I like how they admit that Bosmer's racial abilities have always sucked by making their passive bonus double the effect of the other races'. And if somebody doesn't mod in toggleable Khajiit night eye, I will do it myself.

I mean, who needs Command Animal when you have Chickenmancy?

FINALBOSS

Banned
Skirn said:
Sorry to whomever highlighted it. Thought it was enough to have it under spoiler tags. It wasn't my intent to spoil those who didn't ask for it. I should've put a warning before the spoiler-marking.

I was only joking. It's not the end of the world. That's really a minor minor thing anyways. It's all good brah.

Simo said:
I missed it at first but now I see 'em. DRAGONS! Curious as to what you was waiting for from Breckon though...
The title. I, sadly, don't have a dragon dictionary lying around, while our friends at Beth obviously do.

ReaperXL7

Just finished pre-ordering the game, the collectors guide, and the soundtrack. I am ready for this, and now that it's gone gold, It's is officially going to be the longest week ever.

One the thing I did in Oblivion, was once I finished main quest up to the point where I had to lead two main NPCs , I didn't do main quest for looong time. Instead explored all areas with two immortal NPCs fighting by my side. It was fun, for me at least, as I wasn't interested in combat as much as exploration.

Khezu

Crazetex said:
Wait, Dunmer don't get a one-handed bonus? I thought they were the fireball-and-longsword masters. Also, I like how they admit that Bosmer's racial abilities have always sucked by making their passive bonus double the effect of the other races'. And if somebody doesn't mod in toggleable Khajiit night eye, I will do it myself.

I mean, who needs Command Animal when you have Chickenmancy?

Ya, a lot of those racial bonus's seem kinda wrong, but well see.

Biggzy

MirageDwarf said:
Wow so many memories of Oblivion come back now. It was my first Elder Scroll game. Hoping to spend that many hours in Skyrim too.

Same here although Oblivion wasn't my 1st Elder Scrolls, Morrowind was. However Oblivion was the one that got me into TES games, for some reason I couldn't get into Morrowind.

spirity

Great OT, Blue Ninja! I remember you dropping a clue about the title tag and thinking it was gonna be a play on Veni, Vidi, Vici. Guess not!

I can't wait for Skyrim. My most anticipated game since.. umm.. can't even remember. I fucking love the Elder Scrolls, and indeed, Bethesda - jank and all.

11-11-11

kamspy

It taunts me in my Steam Library every single day.

I've got my last 8 vacation hours lined up for 11-11-11. Can't wait.

Mindman

K2Valor said:
Here's the time for me to admit it.

I've had three playthroughs of Oblivion, two at 200+ hours.

I have not beaten the main story once.
KuGsj.gif

People like you and I are in for a real treat with Skyrim. :)

Samus4145

Biggzy said:
Same here although Oblivion wasn't my 1st Elder Scrolls, Morrowind was. However Oblivion was the one that got me into TES games, for some reason I couldn't get into Morrowind.

Complete opposite for me. Loved Morrorwind, could not get into Oblivion. Actually fell asleep playing it.

Wallach

Khezu said:
Ya, a lot of those racial bonus's seem kinda wrong, but well see.

In the Dunmer's case it looks to me like they are trying to push the "stealth mage" aspect a little more. Argonians, Khajiit and Bosmer are already all offering heavy thief bonuses, so they leaned farther towards the mage side of things with the Dunmer.

KorrZ

Skirn said:

And a friend just texted me that there are
werewolves in the game
. What a fucking ass-hat for spoiling that surprise.

I just highlighted that spoiler....I regret nothing. SOOOO excited for this game, I can't believe thats in the game.

Lakitu

st5fu
Well, I'll be sticking with Nord for my first playthrough.

Either Argonian or Dunmer for my thief / assassin / cold-blooded murderer character.

Ranger X

Ok so, I am talking to people that did bought Fallout games on 360 and PS3...

I just pre-ordered Skyrim on 360 instead of PS3. You think it will be the best console version or not? I don't want the game to fucking load at every step on the world map like Oblivion...

spirity

Samus4145 said:
Complete opposite for me. Loved Morrorwind, could not get into Oblivion. Actually fell asleep playing it.

Seems to be the order in which you played them is important here. For people who'se first ES is MW, they prefer it to Oblivion. And vice versa. There'll be exceptions to this rule, but for most it seems to stand up. Certainly for me at least - Oblivion was my first and I played Morrowind after, but I preferred Oblivion. (Still loved MW though).

Lakitu

st5fu
ironcreed said:
Has an arena been confirmed yet? No biggie if there is not one, but it would be a nice addition.

No arena, confirmed by Pete Hines. A little disappointing.

I hope we still get an equivalent of the adoring fan though. I want a stalker. Or groupies.

AiTM

Banned
Can anyone post a faq or link to how, in detail, the leveling up works? With all classes, attributes, etc. I want to make sure I build the character I want.

Vire

Lakitu said:
No arena, confirmed by Pete Hines. A little disappointing.

I hope we still get an equivalent of the adoring fan though. I want a stalker. Or groupies.
Aw man...

That's really disappointing.

One of my favorite parts of Oblivion.

bengraven

Straight up
Morrowind
music is in this game.

Blue Ninja said:
Free mead for all if we beat Dark Souls!

Well, not really. Still, we should.

Oh, we will beat Dark Souls, easily.

Loxley

Great OP Ninja, nice and concise. I never understood the logic of "absurdly long OP = better OP".

Aw man...

That's really disappointing.

One of my favorite parts of Oblivion.

Wouldn't be surpised at all if, at some point down the line, we got some form of an Arena as DLC. Since devs seem to love adding a "Horde Mode" game type to everything these days.

I just pre-ordered Skyrim on 360 instead of PS3. You think it will be the best console version or not? I don't want the game to fucking load at every step on the world map like Oblivion...

Bethesda have done nothing but show off the 360 version, so they're clearly proud of it.

Midou

K2Valor said:
Here's the time for me to admit it.

I've had three playthroughs of Oblivion, two at 200+ hours.

I have not beaten the main story once.
KuGsj.gif

Main story is really, really short, so I do find that a bit strange. Though the Oblivion bits are rather frustrating and not fun to play through.

Does anyone know why I can't order that CE-guide from Amazon.co.uk? It says the item is currently unavailable and not sure when in stock. I don't want to place an order and not get the guide a couple of weeks later. I want that interactive map badly.

Loxley said:
Great OP Ninja, nice and concise. I never understood the logic of "absurdly long OP = better OP".
Same here, though I didn't conciously try to condense everything into one post. I said everything that was neccesary and it fit into one post, so I went with it.

I was originally going to make an entire new "Pocket Guide to the Empire", though, but ended up only doing the parts relevant to the game. If there's enough demand for the rest, I might do it for shits and giggles.

Just ordered the OST. Awesomesauce.

bengraven

One of the dark elves sounds just like Jeremy Irons in full on Die Hard With a Vengeance mode.

Lyphen said:
Blargh. But the Dark Souls thread is barely anything more than diary entries.

So will this after a while. I seem to remember someone's "epic exit" that made demi want to vomit. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Ranger X said:

360 version, yeah I'm sure it'll be technically smoother than the PS3 version.

Socreges

Banned
Is there any way to pace my investment in this game? Like 1 hour a day? Or will it almost definitely suck me in (I'm pretty addictive with games)? I've never played MW or Oblivion.

Socreges said:
Is there any way to pace my investment in this game? Like 1 hour a day? Or will it almost definitely suck me in (I'm pretty addictive with games)? I've never played MW or Oblivion.
Better clear your social calendar.

Takuan

Ranger X said:

MS is almost always the safe bet. I guarantee you the PS3 version of Skyrim will be inferior in some way to the 360 version. It will probably be minor, but if you want the best (console) version, go with the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom