• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Blue Ninja said:
Wait until you hear what happened afterwards. :lol

So I exit the dungeon. It's still night, so it's a bit hard to see. Almost immediately, I hear a now-familiar roar coming from in front of me. I see a dragon taking off from behind some trees, spewing ice at an enemy I can't yet see. I whip out my bow, take a few pot-shots at it, so it knows I'm there. As I sprint towards the dragon, a Giant comes lumbering out from behind some bushes, weaponless. I see him waving his fists at the dragon, as though he's challenging to a brawl.

Of course, the dragon doesn't care for any such tomfoolery, and keeps making bombing runs, spewing ice and both it and me. The giant's not hostile, he's just distracting the dragon, waiting for me to take it down with my bow. Unfortunately, I'm not that trained in the art of archery, so I only manage to take off a few bits of health before the dragon suddenly takes off and lands behind the trees.

At this point, the dragon's health bar starts depleting dramatically. I sprint forward, through the trees and come upon a group of giants armed with clubs. They've surrounded the dragon and are beating the shit out of it. When the thing's health bar is pretty low, it suddenly lifts off again and comes at me, spewing ice right in my face. At this point, I stow away my bow and take out my sword and shield. The dragon lands next to me and I start hacking away.

Now, dragons are pretty tough, even if they're wounded. Suddenly though, the dragon takes another massive hit, leaving only a sliver of its health bar. I swipe at it again. It lets out a roar and then slumps to the floor. As it starts burning up, I turn to my left, to take a look at my mysterious benefactor...

It's one of the giants armed with clubs, and he's just standing there, watching. The moment I absorb the dragon's soul he just seems to shrug, shoulders his club again, turns around and walks away.

Goddamn hilarious.

This story has hyped me more than anything else yet. These giants sound SOOO badass.

Blue Ninja said:

So I exit the dungeon. It's still night, so it's a bit hard to see. Almost immediately, I hear a now-familiar roar coming from in front of me. I see a dragon taking off from behind some trees, spewing ice at an enemy I can't yet see. I whip out my bow, take a few pot-shots at it, so it knows I'm there. As I sprint towards the dragon, a Giant comes lumbering out from behind some bushes, weaponless. I see him waving his fists at the dragon, as though he's challenging to a brawl.

Of course, the dragon doesn't care for any such tomfoolery, and keeps making bombing runs, spewing ice and both it and me. The giant's not hostile, he's just distracting the dragon, waiting for me to take it down with my bow. Unfortunately, I'm not that trained in the art of archery, so I only manage to take off a few bits of health before the dragon suddenly takes off and lands behind the trees.

At this point, the dragon's health bar starts depleting dramatically. I sprint forward, through the trees and come upon a group of giants armed with clubs. They've surrounded the dragon and are beating the shit out of it. When the thing's health bar is pretty low, it suddenly lifts off again and comes at me, spewing ice right in my face. At this point, I stow away my bow and take out my sword and shield. The dragon lands next to me and I start hacking away.

Now, dragons are pretty tough, even if they're wounded. Suddenly though, the dragon takes another massive hit, leaving only a sliver of its health bar. I swipe at it again. It lets out a roar and then slumps to the floor. As it starts burning up, I turn to my left, to take a look at my mysterious benefactor...

It's one of the giants armed with clubs, and he's just standing there, watching. The moment I absorb the dragon's soul he just seems to shrug, shoulders his club again, turns around and walks away.

Goddamn hilarious.

I've got the shakes now. I've got to get my fix of Skyrim.

Now I'm gonna need to find something to do with [spoilers]Dragon Bone and Dragon Scales[/spoilers]. Anyone who has the game know what I can do with 'em?

GeekyDad said:
Preferred perspective for folks well into the game: first- or third-person?
First.

x-Lundz-x

Holy crap 100 pages before the game is even officially out. Damn this is going to be huge.

I have it coming from NewEgg but I can't touch it for a few weeks. I have Batman, Uncharted, MW3, and FFXIII (I know late to the party) to finish before I can touch this monster of a game.

Lakitu

st5fu
Superimposer said:
So how come Blue Ninja's latest posts aren't spoiler tagged like all the others?

You have spoiler-vision.

But really, it's not that spoilerific. I thoroughly enjoyed that read.

Double D

So this is pretty OT, but anyways, it revolves around my purchase of this game, so here goes. I did the buy 2 get 1 free at toys r us a few weeks ago and still have NBA 2K12 in the shrink wrap. Problem is I don't have the receipt anymore. Anywhere I can return this without a receipt and just get this game instead? I figure if I don't have time to play a basketball game right now, I sure as hell won't have time to play it once I get Skyrim.

daebo

FUUUUUU I can't take it anymore. This is killing me the wait. I'm f'n weak too reading all the spoilers... must. back. out. now...

mbmonk

I want to play and like Skyrim but first person melee combat always feels so clumsy in video games. I am half tempted to try and play it 3rd person mode.

Wasn't there a Namco game a couple of years back that attempted to solve the first person melee problem? I can't remember the name of that game. I think it was mostly hand to hand combat.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Lakitu said:
You have spoiler-vision.

But really, it's not that spoilerific. I thoroughly enjoyed that read.

Oh believe me, I want to enjoy it, but I'm too scared to read! Just weird how he suddenly changed his tack

Wallach

Solo said:
RE: the World of Skyrim video:

The environments and diversity look great, but my god, the VA sounds even worse than Oblivion's, something I thought impossible.

This is the craziest shit I ever heard. You go back and listen to Oblivion's VA right now.

cackhyena

Superimposer said:
Oh believe me, I want to enjoy it, but I'm too scared to read! Just weird how he suddenly changed his tack
There's no spoiler in it. Just a little story based on things you've already heard about or seen.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
cackhyena said:
There's no spoiler in it. Just a little story based on things you've already heard about or seen.

Gotcha, naturally I didn't read it for fear of spoilers before posting

Derrick01

Banned
I'm a little late to the review discussion but I just woke up so I want to speak anyway.

Even though the western media has hard ons for Bioware and Bethesda I will not be paying much attention to the reviews. I don't trust many media people to actually know about rpgs and the ins and outs of them and then be able to look at all of what Skyrim offers.

I expect a lot of "oooh I went to this pretty mountain dungeon, and then I killed a bandit, and then I brewed a potion and then..." and then they'll bitch about how outdated the animation and other stuff is, completely missing the point of the game no matter what the score is.

And then eurogamer or edge will give it a 5 or 6 because one of them hates western rpgs and I can't remember which. I do remember a long list of great western rpgs that was posted here and a lot of them received 6 and 7s. Stuff like Witcher 2 and Diablo 2.

Blue Ninja said:
Now I'm gonna need to find something to do with
Dragon Bone and Dragon Scales
. Anyone who has the game know what I can do with 'em?

I don't think they have a use, I've just been selling them.

Interfectum said:
how is the 3rd person view in the game?

Serviceable, and quite useful for close quarters combat, but I doubt you'd want to spend the whole game in 3rd person.

Here's a few random shots of the places I've been in the past few hours;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0254.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0252.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0263.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0297.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0307.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0315.jpg

Got myself a Dark Elf destruction mage as a companion, and she kicks ass with some crazy frost and lightning spells. It almost feels like cheating having her accompany me because she's so powerful;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0311.jpg

Also, I'm starting to see glass armour and weapons;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0317.jpg

Vik_Vaughn said:
So this is pretty OT, but anyways, it revolves around my purchase of this game, so here goes. I did the buy 2 get 1 free at toys r us a few weeks ago and still have NBA 2K12 in the shrink wrap. Problem is I don't have the receipt anymore. Anywhere I can return this without a receipt and just get this game instead? I figure if I don't have time to play a basketball game right now, I sure as hell won't have time to play it once I get Skyrim.
Wal-Mart is notorious for having a terribly flawed no-receipt return system. Have at it.

Credo

For those of you saying get the PC version and use a DVI-to-HDMI cable to plug into a TV, how would I go about making the sound come out of my TV's speakers?

My PC speakers are on the other side of the room from the TV, and from what I understand, even though the cable will allow me to play the PC game on my TV, I'll still get sound coming out of the PC speakers instead of the TV's speakers.

If this isn't the case, please let me know so I can change my pre-order to the PC version. And if it is the case, please try to explain how to output the PC sound to my TV.

I have a physical copy of the PC version coming and have a dumbass question.

This is my first Steam-era game that I've bought a physical copy of. So, will it still install from the disc and then activate on Steam? Normally, I just enter a CD Key on steam and then it downloads, but that seems a waste when all the data is on the disc.

So what happens?

mbmonk

Credo said:
For those of you saying get the PC version and use a DVI-to-HDMI cable to plug into a TV, how would I go about making the sound come out of my TV's speakers?

My PC speakers are on the other side of the room from the TV, and from what I understand, even though the cable will allow me to play the PC game on my TV, I'll still get sound coming out of the PC speakers instead of the television's speakers.

If this isn't the case, please let me know so I can change my pre-order to the PC version. And if it is the case, please try to explain how to output the PC sound to my TV.

EDIT: misread the post sry.

ksimm

I will not read spoilers, I will not read spoilers, I will not read spoilers...
NNNnnghh! >_<

Tomorrow will be worse, when the game is in my hands and cannot play it. I love Steam, but FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Being busy all Friday and having Thursday off really sucks. Is anyone planning on using a VPN to unlock this on Thursday morning?

(We can talk about this sort of stuff right?)

Derrick01

Banned
Epyon MX said:

This is my first Steam-era game that I've bought a physical copy of. So, will it still install from the disc and then activate on Steam? Normally, I just enter a CD Key on steam and then it downloads, but that seems a waste when all the data is on the disc.

So what happens?

You just go through the install process like normal but it will integrate with your steam account as its doing it. When it's done you don't ever have to put the disc in again, just launch it through steam like normal. But you're right it's quicker to install it than put the key in and download it.

bidaum

Credo said:

My PC speakers are on the other side of the room from the TV, and from what I understand, even though the cable will allow me to play the PC game on my TV, I'll still get sound coming out of the PC speakers instead of the television's speakers.

You need a mini-stereo cable (male to male) Like This

...also better make sure your tv has the mini-stereo input (it almost certainly does)

Credo

bidaum said:
You need a mini-stereo cable (male to male) Like This

...also better make sure your tv has the mini-stereo input (it almost certainly does)

I just looked on the back of the TV, and there's a digital audio input slot, so I guess that would work.

So I would just buy that cable and run it from the SPDIF Out slot on the back of my PC to the digital audio input slot on the back of my TV, and that would transfer the sound? Or would I need to plug it into some other slot on the PC instead of the SPDIF Out?

Sorry for all these questions. I'm still a PC newbie and haven't ever messed with the sound.

Vik_Vaughn said:

Wal*Mart has always been pretty good about returns. Or you could sell it on Amazon as a "New" game for like $40 or $50.

Woorloog

Banned
Holding A allows moving items around the world right? Since it is very awkward unless you use southpaw stick settings, is it possible to change holding objects to somewhere else?
Also, is sprinting a toggle or hold?

Credo said:
I just looked on the back of the TV, and there's a digital audio input slot, so I guess that would work.

So I would just buy that cable and run it from the SPDIF Out slot on the back of my PC to the digital audio input slot on the back of my TV, and that would transfer the sound? Or would I need to plug it into some other slot on the PC instead of the SPDIF Out?

Sorry for all these questions. I'm still a PC newbie and haven't ever messed with the sound.
Post your TV model and motherboard model so we can see the inputs.

ksimm

There's going to be some annoyed people when they open their game to find a creased, folded paper map with a nice texture instead of a 'Cloth' map that some of these UK retailers are advertising.

Enco

Do all steam games need steam?

I remember Just Cause 2 being steamworks and I never added it to steam until much later.

Woorloog said:
Holding A allows moving items around the world right? Since it is very awkward unless you use southpaw stick settings, is it possible to change holding objects to somewhere else?
Also, is sprinting a toggle or hold?

You hold A (X on PS3) to pick stuff up, but once you've picked it up you can let go of the button and carry stuff around like you would in Oblivion.

Also, you have to hold down the left trigger to sprint.

Roche

Bungieware said:
Being busy all Friday and having Thursday off really sucks. Is anyone planning on using a VPN to unlock this on Thursday morning?

(We can talk about this sort of stuff right?)

Yeah we're allowed since a bunch of people did the same for Battlefield 3. Yeah I'm looking into the possibility of using an Aussie or New Zealand VPN for it.

Though to be honest I'm a bit skeptical on whether or not I should, since there's always the chance that Valve reacts badly to that kind of thing and decides ban my ass.

Donat

Neo Member
GeekyDad said:
Preferred perspective for folks well into the game: first- or third-person?
Third-person actually, and I hated it in Oblivion.

Bootaaay said:
Blue Ninja said:
Now I'm gonna need to find something to do with
Dragon Bone and Dragon Scales
. Anyone who has the game know what I can do with 'em?
I don't think they have a use, I've just been selling them.
I think they have:
Look at the smithing perks.

Also, it seems that I found the trigger for the texture problem. When you pull up the menu you still see the game in the background, but it is blurred and has low-res textures to make the menu load faster. After exiting the menu all should go back to normal but it doesn't for everything your character has currently equipped. Re-equip it and it has the normal textures again. And as I said before, this happens to me no matter if I have the game installed or not.

Enco

Blue Ninja said:

Goddamn hilarious.
Hnnnnhhhggggg....

Tomorrow is the guaranteed worst day in gaming history. I hate waiting.

Smash88

Banned
Epyon MX said:

So what happens?

Last game I bought that was disc based was Empire: Total War and Steam was required it would activate the game, adding it to my Steam library and then it would install the discs, then it would patch (if there were any).

krpiper

Donat said:
Third-person actually, and I hated it in Oblivion.

I think they have:
Look at the smithing perks.

Also, it seems that I found the trigger for the texture problem. When you pull up the menu you still see the game in the background, but it is blurred and has low-res textures to make the menu load faster. After exiting the menu all should go back to normal but it doesn't for everything your character has currently equipped. Re-equip it and it has the normal textures again. And as I said before, this happens to me no matter if I have the game installed or not.

If this is true, this is worth noting. Are you on Ps3 or 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom