• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollux

Bootaaay said:
I don't think they have a use, I've just been selling them.

Serviceable, and quite useful for close quarters combat, but I doubt you'd want to spend the whole game in 3rd person.

Here's a few random shots of the places I've been in the past few hours;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0254.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0252.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0263.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0297.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0307.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0315.jpg

Got myself a Dark Elf destruction mage as a companion, and she kicks ass with some crazy frost and lightning spells. It almost feels like cheating having her accompany me because she's so powerful;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0311.jpg

Also, I'm starting to see glass armour and weapons;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0317.jpg

When you say the glass armor is appearing does that mean thieves are wearing it or it's loot in chests?

Also how does the smithing work?

Finally, are there any unique weapons or armor? Can I get some powerful magic sword early on if I'm ballsy enough to try? Is there some guy with daedric armor that I can try to kill?

garath

Donat said:
Third-person actually, and I hated it in Oblivion.

I think they have:
Look at the smithing perks.

Also, it seems that I found the trigger for the texture problem. When you pull up the menu you still see the game in the background, but it is blurred and has low-res textures to make the menu load faster. After exiting the menu all should go back to normal but it doesn't for everything your character has currently equipped. Re-equip it and it has the normal textures again. And as I said before, this happens to me no matter if I have the game installed or not.

Did you clear your cache on the 360 (assuming this is the 360 game). That seemed to have solved the low texture problem some people were seeing.

Lakitu

st5fu
Donat said:
Also, it seems that I found the trigger for the texture problem. When you pull up the menu you still see the game in the background, but it is blurred and has low-res textures to make the menu load faster. After exiting the menu all should go back to normal but it doesn't for everything your character has currently equipped. Re-equip it and it has the normal textures again. And as I said before, this happens to me no matter if I have the game installed or not.

Bethesda, please patch this.

DangerStepp

Ordered it from D2D and downloaded that 5GB zip folder and am awaiting further instruction to execute on whenever I get home today.

SSOOOOOOOOO HYPED!!

bidaum

Credo said:
You can use the digital audio if you want; I think the cheapest/easiest option is probably just the stereo audio jack. On the back of your computer (probably where your PC speakers are currently plugged in) just run the mini-stereo cable from the lime green hole to the mini-stereo in on your tv.

Effect

For those that are playing any comparisons you can make with Fallout 3 in terms of how the story is being paced? Is the story telling focused and clear without leaving you wondering where you have to go next? Things that might be less Oblivion and more Fallout 3 in terms of design or execution?

Emptiness of the world. The biggest issue I had with Oblivion was that the world felt dead. This might be highly subjective of course but I've read others make the same comment. This was a problem for me with towns and cities. Has this been addressed in Skyrim? Do areas feel lived in? Populated?

Wallach

Lakitu said:
Bethesda, please patch this.

I mentioned it was odd earlier that nobody had any pictures that were evidence of blurry textures anywhere except what the player was holding. Figures it was something like that.

Can someone who already has the game comment about how good the "premium" map is? Pictures would be great, but I'm curious if it's worth it.

Epyon MX said:
Can someone who already has the game comment about how good the "premium" map is? Pictures would be great, but I'm curious if it's worth it.
It's big and sturdy, but not synthetic cloth like they earlier stated it would be.

zmoney said:
When you say the glass armor is appearing does that mean thieves are wearing it or it's loot in chests?

Loot, thieves and bandits are all still wearing crappy armour (but they might be protecting a chest full of the good stuff).

zmoney said:
Also how does the smithing work?

You mine ore, use a smelter to refine it, then use a forge and the refined ore (and gathered materials like leather, which you get from using pelts on a tanning rack) to create new weapons and armour. You can then improve weapons using a grindstone, and armour using a workbench.

zmoney said:
Finally, are there any unique weapons or armor? Can I get some powerful magic sword early on if I'm ballsy enough to try? Is there some guy with daedric armor that I can try to kill?

There seems to be some unique items, but I haven't encountered too many, and I've yet to find a weapon better than the scimitar I enchanted and improved myself. I did steal an elven bow early on in the game that I'm still using now (level 21), so you can get items not meant for your level if you take the risk.

Donat

Neo Member
krpiper said:
If this is true, this is worth noting. Are you on Ps3 or 360
360. And I just noticed that re-equipping does not always help, but pulling up the menu is definitely the trigger for the problem. And it is even happening twice:
You have normal textures on your gloves and pull up the menu and close it -> worse textures -> you pull it up again and close it -> worst textures.

garath said:
Did you clear your cache on the 360 (assuming this is the 360 game). That seemed to have solved the low texture problem some people were seeing.
I sure did and I think I was actually the first one in this thread to try clearing the cache after someone mentioned it. It does not help and as I can see the problem happening in realtime and fix it while I'm still in the game I don't think it has anything to do with the cache.

Wallach said:
I mentioned it was odd earlier that nobody had any pictures that were evidence of blurry textures anywhere except what the player was holding. Figures it was something like that.
I think there were pictures from low-res plants and trees. 'New Quest: Try to blur any objects with help from the menu.' I'm starting right away.

Woorloog

Banned
Bootaaay said:
You hold A (X on PS3) to pick stuff up, but once you've picked it up you can let go of the button and carry stuff around like you would in Oblivion.

Also, you have to hold down the left trigger to sprint.
Oh, ok, that sounds all right system.

And i assume you mean left bumber.

As for the animations, they look better than in Oblivion, which is all that matters.

Credo

bidaum said:
You can use the digital audio if you want; I think the cheapest/easiest option is probably just the stereo audio jack. On the back of your computer (probably where your PC speakers are currently plugged in) just run the mini-stereo cable from the lime green hole to the mini-stereo in on your tv.

Alright, thanks. Do you think it's worth buying the cables and doing all that to play the PC version on my TV when my video card is only a GTX 275? If it wouldn't look much better than the 360/PS3 versions, I might just get one of them.

I preferred "grab" being on the left bumper, to be honest. Now you need to let go of your viewing controls when trying to grab something.

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
I preferred "grab" being on the left bumper, to be honest. Now you need to let go of your viewing controls when trying to grab something.
That's why i asked if Sprint was toggle or hold. If it had been toggle, using it from A would've been easy and i would've moved Use/Pick up function to left bumber.

Pollux

Bootaaay said:
Loot, thieves and bandits are all still wearing crappy armour (but they might be protecting a chest full of the good stuff).

You mine ore, use a smelter to refine it, then use a forge and the refined ore (and gathered materials like leather, which you get from using pelts on a tanning rack) to create new weapons and armour. You can then improve weapons using a grindstone, and armour using a workbench.

There seems to be some unique items, but I haven't encountered too many, and I've yet to find a weapon better than the scimitar I enchanted and improved myself. I did steal an elven bow early on in the game that I'm still using now (level 21), so you can get items not meant for your level if you take the risk.

Sounds good. That smithing stuff sounds amazing. I'll end up spending fucking HOURS doing that lol

Wallach

Bootaaay said:

I'm guessing this is like Morrowind where it feels pretty random even at higher levels. They actually used level in the random loot formula there too, but it felt more natural. Do you still find junk too (low-level tier armor/weapons) when looting chests and whatnot in areas with low level bandits?

bidaum

Credo said:
I was looking at your TV manual and page 12-13 it looks like they may require some proprietary adapter for the audio... which is ridiculous if true, but what can you do. I don't know what cables you have laying around, but it looks like you'll first need the "VIERA Link Connection" which I hope came with your TV, and then a male RCA stereo to male mini-stereo cable like this one; it'll probably looks exactly like that VIERA Link Connection thingy.

DEO3

Is it viable to play through the game without alchemy or restoration?

My sword n' board Nord is going to be a purely physical fighter who'll be investing his perks in 1-handers, blocking, heavy armor, smithing, and the like, but I worry about not being able to heal at all.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Killing myself here reading this thread inbetween work. Friday can't come soon enough, thank god for a midnight release.

I've done pretty good at not looking at anyhing elder scrolls except for what's in this thread. I'm going in pretty blind with this being my first elder scrolls game.

Wallach said:
Do you still find junk too (low-level tier armor/weapons) when looting chests and whatnot in areas with low level bandits?

Yeah, a ton of the stuff - it's mostly all iron, silver and steel weapons, a lot of hide, leather and iron armour too. Dwarven, elven, ebony and glass loot is much more rare.

DEO3 said:
Is it viable to play through the game without alchemy or restoration?

My sword n' board Nord is going to be a purely physical fighter who'll be investing his perks in 1-handers, blocking, heavy armor, smithing, and the like, but I worry about not being able to heal at all.

You do find a lot of potions, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem without either alchemy or restoration. Also, you could get into hunting and cooking animals and making other food items, as they can be a good alternative to potions (although not as effective).

Wallach

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, a ton of the stuff - it's mostly all iron, silver and steel weapons, a lot of hide, leather and iron armour too. Dwarven, elven, ebony and glass loot is much more rare.

Yeah, this sounds very much like Morrowind's version of loot scaling. I'm still curious about how unique and "epic" (using their words) items are distributed in the world, but I'm not concerned about loot scaling anymore.

Wallach

MMaRsu said:
Some help? Where do i go to speak to the greybeards?

Well, if I remember the first gameplay demo that Todd Howard narrated, he mentions that the Greybeards' home is atop the Throat of the World (mountain).

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Sadly, I had to cancel my preorder until next week. I'm mostly getting it for my wife (she's addicted to Oblivion, Fallout 3/NV).

She'll probably be in her "special place" once she gets her hands on Skyrim next week, so I won't get a chance to play it anytime soon. I'm debating if I want to just say "screw it," and get two copies. There's nothing else game related i'm buying this year...

bidaum

Credo said:
Alright, thanks. Do you think it's worth buying the cables and doing all that to play the PC version on my TV when my video card is only a GTX 275? If it wouldn't look much better than the 360/PS3 versions, I might just get one of them.
Honestly, I don't know... I bought it on PC, but I already had everything I needed etc. to run it properly. I also have an Xbox controller for the PC too. I'm not sure I would want to play mouse & keyboard on my couch... For big open world games, I like to play on PC because there is technically way more versatility, i.e. beauty mods and so on. If you don't want the hassle and you want to play the game on your TV, just get it for console; if the game is any good, a few hours in you prolly won't notice whatever graphical pluses or minuses go with either version.

Graphically, I really have no idea if you will see any improvements or not running on PC versus console given your video card.

MMaRsu said:
Some help? Where do i go to speak to the greybeards?

High Hrothgar. Head to Ivarsted, it's directly on the other side of the big mountain east of Riverwood, and there's a path leading up to High Hrothgar from there.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
One midterm at 2 PM today. Then one more tomorrow @ 12:30. After that I just need to work on Friday morning and then Skyrim will be mine
3AQmK.gif

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I checked the op and google so forgive me if this has been answered

will Skyrim be made available on the Games for Windows marketplace?

MMaRsu

Wallach said:
Well, if I remember the first gameplay demo that Todd Howard narrated, he mentions that the Greybeards' home is atop the Throat of the World (mountain).
Oh i know i just been walking around that mountain for an hour or two last night...no clear way to reach my objective

Mrbob

bidaum said:
Graphically, I really have no idea if you will see any improvements or not running on PC versus console given your video card.

Remember Crysis 2 was only DX9 at launch and it looks a heck of better on PC than console. Also you get much better performance.

Of course, this is Bethesda and they aren't marveled for their technical prowess.

bidaum

Mrbob said:
Remember Crysis 2 was only DX9 at launch and it looks a heck of better on PC than console. Also you get much better performance.

Of course, this is Bethesda and they aren't marveled for their technical prowess.
I don't know the specifics of his card (or computer) though, so it's hard to say one way or the other if his comp will look any better, or run smoothly. He's trying to figure out how to connect his pc to his tv... if he's not up for much more work beyond that, pc might not be the way to go for him. I'm all for pc in a lot of cases, but it really depends on him because there *can be* more nuance involved in running on pc. If it runs great out of the box, fantastic. If it doesn't (screen tearing, framedrops, etc) he may not be willing to troubleshoot.

DEO3

Bootaaay said:
You do find a lot of potions, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem without either alchemy or restoration. Also, you could get into hunting and cooking animals and making other food items, as they can be a good alternative to potions (although not as effective).

Oh shit, I didn't know you could hunt animals and cook their meat, that's perfect.

Mrbob

L0st Id3ntity said:
Yeah 30fps and 60fps are two different games imo.

Sub 20fps and 60fps though to be certain. :p

I have a nice plasma screen and sweet home theater system, but I'll be going on PC. My screen in a 23" Samsung LED and when you are sitting a foot away everything looks huge, and I paired it up with a Corsair dolby headphone headset (60 to 80 bucks) and Asus sound card (with headphone boost only 20 to 30 bucks) combo which creates amazing surround.

For 100 bucks you can get this combo and get great sound out of your PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom