• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

bidaum said:
Honestly, I don't know... I bought it on PC, but I already had everything I needed etc. to run it properly. I also have an Xbox controller for the PC too. I'm not sure I would want to play mouse & keyboard on my couch... For big open world games, I like to play on PC because there is technically way more versatility, i.e. beauty mods and so on. If you don't want the hassle and you want to play the game on your TV, just get it for console; if the game is any good, a few hours in you prolly won't notice whatever graphical pluses or minuses go with either version.

Graphically, I really have no idea if you will see any improvements or not running on PC versus console given your video card.
A 275 should smoke the consoles. That is still a good card for console ports. I mean if my 4870 can make The Witcher 2 look goddamn gorgeous (granted not at max settings or anything) and still keep above 30fps a more powerful card should handle Skyrim with ease.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
D4Danger said:
I checked the op and google so forgive me if this has been answered

will Skyrim be made available on the Games for Windows marketplace?

Steamworks title. Probably not.

bidaum

Ceebs said:
A 275 should smoke the consoles. That is still a good card for console ports. I mean if my 4870 can make The Witcher 2 look goddamn gorgeous (granted not at max settings or anything) and still keep above 30fps a more powerful card should handle Skyrim with ease.
My mistake, I missed him posting the exact card he had.

-GOUKI-

Mrbob said:
Remember Crysis 2 was only DX9 at launch and it looks a heck of better on PC than console. Also you get much better performance.

Of course, this is Bethesda and they aren't marveled for their technical prowess.
Remember when fallout and oblivion came out and looked no different from the console versions?

Echoplx

-GOUKI- said:
Remember when fallout and oblivion came out and looked no different from the console versions?

No different except for much higher resolution, much better IQ and AA/AF along with double the FPS

bidaum

-GOUKI- said:
Yeah, but some of those mods can make the game gorgeous.

I think the real question is, if things don't work great for him out of the box, how much effort is he willing to put into some simple troubleshooting.

Got my D2D key, activated it on Steam. I'm hearing that Steam is now pre-loading, but all it says it "coming soon" in place of the install button. Do they stagger preloading? How do I do it?

Being neurotic, I went ahead and downloaded the files from D2D. There's no way to tie that to steam, though, is there?

Where's my steam preload?

Erudite

catapult37 said:
Got my D2D key, activated it on Steam. I'm hearing that Steam is now pre-loading, but all it says it "coming soon" in place of the install button. Do they stagger preloading? How do I do it?

Being neurotic, I went ahead and downloaded the files from D2D. There's no way to tie that to steam, though, is there?

Where's my steam preload?
The install goes through Steam when you download the files from D2D. Try and launch Setup.exe and see for yourself

Woorloog

Banned
Diseased Yak said:
What?! That's how the Radiant Quest thing works? Holy fuck, I'm going to be playing this game this time next year...
Let's hope DLC increase the hard level cap from 70 or add some additional progression system... otherwise it will be stupid to grind stuff without anything changing really.

bengraven

Diseased Yak said:
What?! That's how the Radiant Quest thing works? Holy fuck, I'm going to be playing this game this time next year...

They said this game is very influenced by RDR which Todd was a huge fan of. So you'll also see a lot of random moments throughout your game so even after finishing the MQ and the guild quests, there will be things happening to draw you in and keep you in thew world.

Credo

Thanks for all your input, everyone. I'm sure that no matter what version of the game I decide to buy, I'm going to end up loving it. Morrowind is still one of my top 10 games I've ever played, and it wasn't nearly as graphically impressive as games are now.

Woorloog

Banned
Clevinger said:
I'm just wondering how they handled something like this with voice acting, which seems like would be a huge restriction on randomized content.
You'll hear the same thing again and again and again. Why wonder?

Until someone creates convincing voice synthethizator, we'll be stuck with repeating voice acting until we become insane.

oh, kickass, thanks. but if the files I downloaded from d2d were going to use steam anyway, why did I have to download the whole 5 gb from d2d? why is steam downloading the whole thing again instead of just looking in the folder and getting the data off my hard drive?

edit: I'm using a small ssd and i don't have room to download it twice... if I trash or move the d2d folder, will steam keep going? it kinda seems like I downloaded 5gb from d2d just to get steam to start its own preload...

Clevinger

Woorloog said:
You'll hear the same thing again and again and again. Why wonder?

Until someone creates convincing voice synthethizator, we'll be stuck with repeating voice acting until we become insane.

No, what I mean is the Radiant whatever changes quests dynamically based on how you play. I'm wondering how they accounted for that in voice acting. Does the NPC with random content just say "Can you help me with something?" and then a text window pops up explaining the randomized quest? Rather than the NPC explaining in voice acting where you have to go and what you have to do, based on how you play the game.

BrettWeir

When facing dragons, doesn't a ranged based character have an advantage compared to full melee? Seems like a full melee character would have to sit and wait for the dragon to land.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Likely they can create generic lines and just hand you "assingments" which will fill in all the details. The Dark brotherhood for example could just place a piece of paper in a well known location that you can go back to and check every now and then.

bengraven

Clevinger said:
I'm just wondering how they handled something like this with voice acting, which seems like would be a huge restriction on randomized content.

Well it's already set up that the side quests with Radiant Story will take you to different dungeons and sometimes involve different people, so the ability to keep creating random quests works in line with that.

My fear? That there's just the main quest, guild quests, and then ALL the sidequests are just randomly created and we'll quickly start to feel that same-same feeling.

That said, if I could have repeated some of the sidequests from Oblivion or Morrowind with different characters or locations, I would have been happy.

Doing the Hackdirt quest for the second time, but in Skingrad and with one of the wine-seller's kid wouldn't have bothered me in the least.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Darkgran said:
Can I ever get a game early?

One time is all I ask.
The week before Halo 3 came out, I was trying desperately to get a copy early. I was hitting up every department store with suitably clueless employees, and asking them to look in the back for a copy. One guy actually went back and came out with a copy, but his co-worker (manager?) stopped him before I could get it in my hands and bolt. :lol

I also went to every 7-11 in my area. They were rumored to be selling copies to go along with their big media campaign. But yeah, no luck. :-(

-GOUKI-

3chopl0x said:
No different except for much higher resolution, much better IQ and AA/AF along with double the FPS
That requires pretty much no effort from the developer to make the PC version better. It's a sharper version of the game with the same shitty textures. You mention Crysis 2 but that game had the biggest shitstorm ever when it launched when the dx11 features were cut for a couple months.

Sotha Sil

Okay, this game looks like shit (PS3), but I am already in love with it. Helplessly. Health regen? Fine! No item durability? I can live with it. Three stats? Cool, whatever; perks are nice. When all is said and done, raiding a fort at night, under the snow, with Jeremy Soule's music in the background is all I needed.

So damn awesome.

Echoplx

-GOUKI- said:
That requires pretty much no effort from the developer to make the PC version better. It's a sharper version of the game with the same shitty textures. You mention Crysis 2 but that game had the biggest shitstorm ever when it launched when the dx11 features were cut for a couple months.
Never said it did, and I never mentioned Crysis 2 either. I was just pointing out the obvious advantages of PC gaming.

Serialxp said:
Exactly, no diference... Most people care very little for things like this.
The fact that console gamers are ignorant does not means there's no difference.

reektann

Things are hotting up over here in the UK for the London midnight launch - just saw this dude already sat outside Game, waiting for Skyrim in quite a fancy hat.

photodzurr.jpg

Durante

-GOUKI- said:
No, actually I remember them looking significantly better at release. Far higher image quality and resolution, a lot less LoD scaling and pop-in, better lighting/shadowing and higher frame rates.

But, beyond that, and maybe even more importantly I see them looking infinitely better and being massively more content-rich, balanced and interesting now thanks to mods.

Serialxp said:
Exactly, no diference... Most people care very little for things like this.
Considering the massive squealing, "ahh"s and "ooooh"s that often ensue when someone new ventures into the Dolphin thread I think more people care for IQ than usually assumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom