• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I simply can't deny the allure of this game. Just ordered the PC version (despite just buying a new Slim X360). I am so weak when it comes to caving to new releases. My backlog just groaned at me.

burnfout

Wow, this game. WOW. Accepted a random sidequest from a shopowner:

SPOILERS:
Resulted in a 90 minute sidequest, climbing a snowy mountain, going trough a huge dungeon, fighting a miniboss, resolving two different puzzles, and learning my first shout.

All in a normal sidequest.

GOTY for sure.

Oh shit. Continuing on my spoiler-heavy sidequest writeup:

I killed the great beast, which turned out to be a great white stag. When I did, Hircine manifested before me, and told me he'd remove the curse if I hunted down the werewolf that gave me the ring in the first place. As I travelled to his hideout, I did not transform, so I still don't know how that is. However, I entered the "Bloated Man's Grotto", thinking it'd be just an ordinary cave...

Only to be greeted by a forested region with an orangy night sky. I think I'm in the fucking realm of Hircine now. I saw corpses strewn all over the floor as my quest objective updated to "Join the hunt". I discovered a survivor amidst all the corpses, a badly wounded Khajiit. I go to speak to him, and he asks me...

"Has the Bloodmoon called you too, hunter?"

Oh shit indeed.

Woorloog

Banned
Interfectum said:
Can you play a Nord and still go pure stealth?
Of course you can. The racial skill bonuses are just bonuses and small ones at that, completly meaningless if you play more than a couple of hours. The racial abilities suit any class really, except maybe High Elves' magicka bonus and regen ability as those are rather minor to non-magic users.

Solo

RE: the World of Skyrim video:

The environments and diversity look great, but my god, the VA sounds even worse than Oblivion's, something I thought impossible.

Darklord

Banned
I've been listening to the soundtrack on youtube. Fuck, it's so good and massive. I broke into a smile when I heard the remade morrowind track. Nostalgia'ed big time.

Antagon

burnfout said:
Wow, this game. WOW. Accepted a random sidequest from a shopowner:

SPOILERS:
Resulted in a 90 minute sidequest, climbing a snowy mountain, going trough a huge dungeon, fighting a miniboss, resolving two different puzzles, and learning my first shout.

All in a normal sidequest.

GOTY for sure.

Well, the game did really guide you to that sidequest, so I'm sure that's not par for the course. Still pretty awesome sidequest, I agree.
I've done it, but haven't tried the shout yet. Can you use that right after going to the wall or do you have to kill a dragon first?

Antagon said:
Well, the game did really guide you to that sidequest, so I'm sure that's not par for the course. Still pretty awesome sidequest, I agree.
I've done it, but haven't tried the shout yet. Can you use that right after going to the wall or do you have to kill a dragon first?
You have to kill a dragon first. A main quest giver in Whiterun would send you to Bleak Falls Barrow if you hadn't cleared it yet, too.

spekkeh

Banned
Antagon said:
yes.

And it's not really a trivial sidequest; at a later stage a main quest character will direct you to there as well, only you've already done it then. Still, also thought it was pretty awesome when it happened to me.

The voice acting is pretty good by the way, like, bards can actually sing, instead of it being joe from engineering that has a garage band.

StevePharma said:
I need some help in tracking down the collectors edition guide in Europe (I'm from Holland). Amazon still says FU to me and I really really want it. I also have the Fallout 3 and New Vegas CE guides just because they are so incredibly detailed.

If anyone can help me out it would be very much appreciated. Holland is already trolling me as is with all the copies available in stores now while I anxiously await my Amazon order.

pm sent

MEATER

Antagon said:

Regarding this being a sidequest:
This actually is no sidequest... You have to do this later on to advance in the storyline... Seems like they have several quests pointing at the dungeons in the game.

Regarding the other question:
I couldn't use the shout and it says something about dragon souls in the UI so I guess you'll have to kill a dragon first. Haven't done that so I don't know for sure.

Can't wait to get home tonight and just sit down and play until I have to sleep and work again... 5 hours of sleep will have to do till the end of the week I guess ;)

Interfectum

JumpingTheGun said:
We should wager how many peeps will cancel their pre order and refuse to purchase if IGN scores it any lower than a 9.

I have created a script that will auto-cancel my pre-order if IGN scores it an 8 or below.

Lakitu

st5fu
burnfout said:
I've only been in three dungeons for now, but they were nothing alike.

Really awesome.

This makes me happy. One of my biggest complaints about Oblivion. Going by this and other impressions, it seems they're much more diverse than Oblivion.

Reviews are unlikely to affect my purchasing decision on this one, I enjoy these games too much. For instance, Edge gave Morrowind a 6/10 ("less satisfying than the sum of its parts") and it's one of my favourite games.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
God, I'm so looking forward to spending hours in Skyrim. Uncharted 3's singleplayer let me down, MW3 is good so far but will probably be over before I know it, and it'll be nice to finally have a game where I can play the singleplayer all day long and not worry about having it end too soon (as you can tell, I prefer singleplayer to multiplayer content any day).

Lakitu

st5fu
GarthVaderUK said:
Reviews are unlikely to affect my purchasing decision on this one, I enjoy these games too much. For instance, Edge gave Morrowind a 6/10 ("less satisfying than the sum of its parts") and it's one of my favourite games.

Yeah, they also gave Oblivion an 8. So I'm not expecting that high of a score from them. I'm looking forward to reading the reviews but I'd be lying if I said that any negative reviews would stop me from playing the hell out of it.

Lakitu said:
Blue Ninja, do you feel the dungeons are diverse? Got tired of the dungeons in Oblivion after my fifth Ayleid ruin.
So far, they've been really diverse. I've seen
an ancient Nordic temple, a ruined Imperial fort, a small mine filled with bandits, and an ancient fort that led into a vampire lair.

As for the quest I'm currently on, it's amazing. Just finished it. SPOILER ALERT:
Came upon the werewolf, who initially fled from me, killing all the other hunters in the Grotto. When he was done with them, though, he wasted no time in completely and utterly raping me. Reloading my save, I equipped my bow, perched myself unto a high rock, and just abused the hell out of his pathfinding like any true hunter would. When his health was low enough I jumped down and smacked him in the face with my Nordic Flamesword. When he was dead, I skinned him, and as I did that, Hircine reappeared, removed the cursed ring and granted me the Savior's Hide.

Awesome.

p3tran

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
indeed!
so awesome, that as a matter of fact I'm closing down my shop right now and going directly to smack the face of the guy who was supposed to already have brought me the game here, and he hasn't...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
i-9HNNHvS-XL.jpg

SteveWD40

Blue Ninja said:
an ancient Nordic temple, a ruined Imperial fort, a small mine filled with bandits, and an ancient fort that led into a vampire lair.

As for the quest I'm currently on, it's amazing. Just finished it. SPOILER ALERT:
Came upon the werewolf, who initially fled from me, killing all the other hunters in the Grotto. When he was done with them, though, he wasted no time in completely and utterly raping me. Reloading my save, I equipped my bow, perched myself unto a high rock, and just abused the hell out of his pathfinding like any true hunter would. When his health was low enough I jumped down and smacked him in the face with my Nordic Flamesword. When he was dead, I skinned him, and as I did that, Hircine reappeared, removed the cursed ring and granted me the Savior's Hide.

Awesome.

ZXBHq.jpg

vehn

question about shouts:

Do you have to kill a certain dragon to unlock some of the shouts? I got the shout that breathes fire but it says I have to have a dragon soul, but I killed my 2nd dragon and nothing unlocked

Blue Ninja said:

Awesome.

Awesome, hopefully the Boots of Blinding Speed will make a return as well so I can pretend I'm playing Morrowind again

`Moe Joe. said:
I want to get this.

BUT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THE STORYLINE OF OBLIVION

Must oblivion be played before this, to understand the storyline?

Skyrim will stand on its own.

`Moe Joe.

Banned
I want to get this.

Lakitu

st5fu
`Moe Joe. said:
I want to get this.

Nope. It's set 200 years after Oblivion. You can catch up on some of the lore in the OP, on www.uesp.net and there are hundreds of books in the game.

Darklord

Banned
`Moe Joe. said:
I want to get this.

Absolutely not. There will probably be references and a few throw backs to the lore or events but every Elder Scrolls game is it's own thing.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Xena said:
Hahaha, very good comic strip.

I'll keep that in mind, lol!

I was watching a stream where just after killing a dragon a guy got so sure of himself he decided to provoke a giant... The giant baseball clubbed him and killed him in one shot, I was laughing hysterically

This made me wonder... Is fighting your first dragon in skyrim as hard as fighting your first rat in morrowind? I'll just consider them giant flying fire breathing rats if so

Xena

DopeyFish said:
I was watching a stream where just after killing a dragon a guy got so sure of himself he decided to provoke a giant... The giant baseball clubbed him and killed him in one shot, I was laughing hysterically

This made me wonder... Is fighting your first dragon in skyrim as hard as fighting your first rat in morrowind? I'll just consider them giant flying fire breathing rats if so

I guess I'll find out tomorrow whenever it releases... hahaha!

SteveWD40 said:
http://i.imgur.com/ZXBHq.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Wait until you hear what happened afterwards. :lol

So I exit the dungeon. It's still night, so it's a bit hard to see. Almost immediately, I hear a now-familiar roar coming from in front of me. I see a dragon taking off from behind some trees, spewing ice at an enemy I can't yet see. I whip out my bow, take a few pot-shots at it, so it knows I'm there. As I sprint towards the dragon, a Giant comes lumbering out from behind some bushes, weaponless. I see him waving his fists at the dragon, as though he's challenging to a brawl.

Of course, the dragon doesn't care for any such tomfoolery, and keeps making bombing runs, spewing ice and both it and me. The giant's not hostile, he's just distracting the dragon, waiting for me to take it down with my bow. Unfortunately, I'm not that trained in the art of archery, so I only manage to take off a few bits of health before the dragon suddenly takes off and lands behind the trees.

At this point, the dragon's health bar starts depleting dramatically. I sprint forward, through the trees and come upon a group of giants armed with clubs. They've surrounded the dragon and are beating the shit out of it. When the thing's health bar is pretty low, it suddenly lifts off again and comes at me, spewing ice right in my face. At this point, I stow away my bow and take out my sword and shield. The dragon lands next to me and I start hacking away.

Now, dragons are pretty tough, even if they're wounded. Suddenly though, the dragon takes another massive hit, leaving only a sliver of its health bar. I swipe at it again. It lets out a roar and then slumps to the floor. As it starts burning up, I turn to my left, to take a look at my mysterious benefactor...

It's one of the giants armed with clubs, and he's just standing there, watching. The moment I absorb the dragon's soul he just seems to shrug, shoulders his club again, turns around and walks away.

Goddamn hilarious.

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:

Awesome.

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds great. I patiently await my copy.

I WANT THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really going to get into the world this time. In Oblivion, I treated it like a bog-standard open world hack-n-slash type game, didn't care about lore, didn't know the difference between all the human-looking races, didn't read any of the books, etc.

I just liked stealing shit and spreading the notoriety of my serial killer character, The Time Stopper (dedicated readers of this thread will remember that he murdered people in their sleep and placed an hourlgass at their feet). Now, though, I'm going to try and fully immerse myself in the Elder Scrolls universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom