• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Steam hates me. Whenever I actually care about download speed I get around 500k at most, but now when I have all the time in the world to preload I get 3.6 MB/s.

Does anyone know what graphics enhancements the PC version has? I haven't seen any PC screens of the video options menu yet. The size of the download doesn't suggest we're getting anything major. Is it just going to be higher resolution and more AA?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I have friday off! Woohoo! Funny thing is I never liked Morrowind or Oblivion, stopped FO3 about a third into it and bought New Vegas but never played it... Why am I even excited? I don't know!

-GOUKI-

Bungieware said:
Does anyone know what graphics enhancements the PC version has? I haven't seen any PC screens of the video options menu yet. The size of the download doesn't suggest we're getting anything major. Is it just going to be higher resolution and more AA?
Most likely yes. I think the game will look great once a texture pack comes out.

JumpingTheGun said:
It's games like these that make me glad Im single.

It's games like these that keep me single

Try falling in love with them when you're married.

"Honey, can you take the trash out?"

"OH! Look at this sweet enchant I just added to my longsword!"

"..."

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
reektann said:
Things are hotting up over here in the UK for the London midnight launch - just saw this dude already sat outside Game, waiting for Skyrim in quite a fancy hat.

er... Doesn't it get released tomorrow night?

bengraven

I never got bored of the 100th time I heard "They done got my wife strung up over yonder! ya gotta help her!"

Blue Ninja said:
It is. I laughed my ass of.

GOTF.

I would say one of the Beth GAFfers let them know, but I've seen it used as a meme phrase on other boards as well.

JumpingTheGun said:
It's games like these that make me glad Im single.

It's games like these that keep me single

It's games like these that will make me single. My wife hates my PC and has said regularly that's she's sure I love it more than her.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It_Hurts said:
still not sure if I should buy 360 or PC, lately I only play battlefield on PC and not booting up anything else.

I don't even know how it's a debate if you have a capable system. The only 'benefits' you get with the 360 version are MS point achievements and access to your XBL friends like while you're playing. That's at the cost of graphical fidelity and performance and future mod support.

Durante

Bungieware said:
In addition to that, better LoD, better framerates and so on. (Much better controls of course)

But more importantly, TES games have one of the biggest and best mod scenes around. Even if you subtract all the purely visual stuff (which is often pretty nice) and the semi-creepy stuff, mods for Oblivion still have more worthwhile content by far than all the DLC combined. There are few game series I can think of where the advantages of playing on PC are more pronounced.

Derrick01

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
WHAT THE? HOW THE?

You will keep getting basic kill quests and steal quests. Things like "break in this shop and steal ____". It's not like it's going to be constant intricate quests like dropping that boar's head on the guy for the dark brotherhood in Oblivion.

I dont' mean to be a hype deflater but it's not going to be anything amazing. The technology for infinite and deep quests isn't there.

Omegasquash said:

"..."

Clearly gaming for me will have to take a massive backseat if I ever decide to settle down with a future ex wife.

bidaum

Durante said:
Steam hates me. Whenever I actually care about download speed I get around 500k at most, but now when I have all the time in the world to preload I get 3.6 MB/s.
I bet the Steam Skyrim preload packets are cached at just about every major routing network in the country :p

Omegasquash said:

"..."

Your longsword will get no enchanting if you don't take out the trash.

Durante

Complistic said:
I was assuming you couldn't do that :p
TES games really aren't known for not letting you do stuff. I remember a 5 page ini tweaking guide for Oblivion :p

But at least this reminds me that I need to set the FoV to 90 before starting the game!

This is really the worst possible timing to be a poor college student. I just spent the money I had set aside for Skyrim on 16mm film processing for my final project in production class. Infinite sadness. It was to be one of two games I bought new this year (Other being Deus Ex). Oh well... *goes to listen to the Oblivion soundtrack in his car and weep silently*

JonStark said:
Not being able to play the boxed version is so cruel :(

But again I like having my games on steam so... it's a bad for a good I guess...

I want to play so badly :lol

So the boxed versions key won't work on Steam?

Fitz

AllIsOneIsNone said:
whats the max fov you can have on one without it lookin all messed up? and at the cost of how much performance?

Depends on your monitor, it's not about getting the highest possible but about finding the right FOV for your screen ratio/resolution. Also the performance cost is generally negligible.

Smash88

Banned
KKRT00 said:
Can You post those ini files on pastebin.com?

Everything is encrypted and looks like this:

"  TÌñ éô®Õ3I@Ü?2Sr­÷h‘Ž‘Gp®>à¨Ý!k‡ÇžíD8œËëçµ(!™¶d‘ÿZÃÏgÁ˜5æ[7Î_S=#cË´°Lkx˜\?rx5–Ú¢´,Âò a“5Â= ïßÍÊMùuRŠw|ò+£¡¬®­â(ú€.Ó$D<ü¼úÓÙS›m{­‚ó_|æ8•\)vw“Yæó~͎ÒÞ%ãTo¿'‡ëø€^¬0É Cú .♳9¯| Ífš#µnE¿¢Q•®Ÿ- ­˜Z™À.º´Öûl¨vÐ塚®2ÈޔSæúýÙ3d ¡¥ÕÚ²çF»A¨´°#¹ïæérã@‚–q;MÒ‡®ˆ¹é¼5«ht˜¿¥Àè¶]uUžößKzp!rçí£uó7e npÑnsÐ#“àãÓ<—í)1B»Ÿ,’põ·Án2¼„½B–£¯-PÁ5\}Åô, Þ>dH'´* ¦&žŠ›$ZÃÈÝ"

EschatonDX said:
Huh. That doesn't really look like glass at all.

Yeah, the glass stuff is a lot more understated this time around - I got a glass axe and it didn't really look like it was glass at all until it shined under light.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Having just read the first review from Atomic, I feel I should add that people shouldn't read into the 95%. They give Battlefield 96 and Arkham City 98 in the same issue. Also the content of the review is just awful

Colkate said:
Depends on your monitor, it's not about getting the highest possible but about finding the right FOV for your screen ratio/resolution. Also the performance cost is generally negligible.

Yea, I have a widescreen 23 inch at 1080p; Im guessing around 90 degrees would be ideal.

Enco

SteveWD40 said:
:O

That may not work as well as they hope but it's still amazing. I know they tried it in Oblivion with the DB but it wasn't that well implemented imho.

To the next 6 years of my life in Skyrim!

Either way, I spent a looong time in Oblivion and never got close to finishing the side quests or the main missions. By a long time I mean 50+ hours. Bear in mind I got the game fairly late after release and only had it temporarily.

coopolon

catapult37 said:
oh, kickass, thanks. but if the files I downloaded from d2d were going to use steam anyway, why did I have to download the whole 5 gb from d2d? why is steam downloading the whole thing again instead of just looking in the folder and getting the data off my hard drive?

edit: I'm using a small ssd and i don't have room to download it twice... if I trash or move the d2d folder, will steam keep going? it kinda seems like I downloaded 5gb from d2d just to get steam to start its own preload...

I think you can install the game from the D2D download after it's been released (ie midnight EST if you're in the US). Or you can add the code D2D gave you to Steam (via the Games menu, then activate a product on Steam). And then preload, but yes, then you will have downloaded it twice.

Salacious Crumb

Superimposer said:
Having just read the first review from Atomic, I feel I should add that people shouldn't read into the 95%. They give Battlefield 96 and Arkham City 98 in the same issue. Also the content of the review is just awful

Yeah, Atomic is a PC Hardware magazine, their reviews of games are always pretty terrible.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
any word on 360 vs PS3 comparisons?

I'm hedging my bets currently on the 360 version getting the best treatment..

KKRT00

Complistic said:
They're encrypted.
Ah that sucks, but thanks for info.

I still dont know if i should buy this on friday ;\ I know that i wont play it too much anyway [still playing BF 3 daily and patch for Path of Exile is being released in Monday], so smart would be to wait and buy it cheaper, but spoilers and hype is killing me.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Buttonbasher said:
This is really the worst possible timing to be a poor college student. I just spent the money I had set aside for Skyrim on 16mm film processing for my final project in production class. Infinite sadness. It was to be one of two games I bought new this year (Other being Deus Ex). Oh well... *goes to listen to the Oblivion soundtrack in his car and weep silently*
That sucks. :( Were you gonna get it via Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom