• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutwolf

pyros said:
Preloading now, my wife was good enough to postpone our trip to London for a week, bless her. I need to get a good game into my system, just finished two worlds 2 with it's crappy boss fight and rage the driving game.

Wtf?

You have an awesome wife and strange priorities.

spirity

Einbroch said:
The "infinite quests" thing is a bit of a misnomer. Sure, there are infinite quests, but they're like repeatable quests in WoW.

"I hate bears. Kill 10 bears for me and bring me their pelts and I'll give you 100 gold."

"I love Thistle bushes. Bring me 20 and I'll give you 250 gold."

etc. I completed the bear one last night, and guess what? She wanted more.

Urgh.

I had my fill of kill 10's with the numerous eq/wow clones out there. Kind of disappointing to see Bethesda's lowering itself by putting them in Skyrim. They don't even count as quests, they're errands. In MMO's, kill 10's are the easiest and quickest way of adding 'content'. Its also the cheesiest.

At least I can skip them, but wow am I not happy to hear about them in Skyrim. Won't spoil the experience, but you can do better than that shit Bethesda.

EDIT
105 pages now? Monster.

So far, haven't even touched the fast-travel system. Figure I'll have to sooner or later, one of the quest objectives just sent me way back to an area I already explored.

Cutwolf

spirity said:
Urgh.

I had my fill of kill 10's with the numerous eq/wow clones out there. Kind of disappointing to see Bethesda's lowering itself by putting them in Skyrim. They don't even count as quests, they're errands. In MMO's, kill 10's are the easiest and quickest way of adding 'content'. Its also the cheesiest.

At least I can skip them, but wow am I not happy to hear about them in Skyrim. Won't spoil the experience, but you can do better than that shit Bethesda.

Oh dear God.

This is game... I need it now. Every night I've been torturing myself by watch streamed run around Skyrim without a damn clue about what they're doing. I can't take that shit anymore.

One of the best parts about owning Skyrim will be that I won't have to watch random morons play and hear their lame commentary. Like one dude called everyone he met "Carl", even his horse. Seriously.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Clevinger said:
I'm just wondering how they handled something like this with voice acting, which seems like would be a huge restriction on randomized content.

Here's an example. Somewhere in the game, there's
a library, and they guy who works there can give you quests to go find books that he wants to add to the collection.
Each time he gives you a quest it's almost exactly the same, and he even eventually starts repeating then. The locations of the quest, however, always changes.

Derrick01

Banned
spirity said:
Urgh.

EDIT
105 pages now? Monster.

The normal quests will likely be fine and normal for ES. It's just the repeating quests that will be like that when you're done with the guilds and probably done with most of the game's quests to stop that "I don't have anything left" feeling.

styl3s

Question to people who have played both 360 and ps3 or just the ps3.

How well does it run on PS3? im torn between 360/PS3 but if it's the same ill go with PS3. (prefer ps3 but giving the track record i want to be sure before i go spend $65)

Also how is the third person? is it an actual viable option to play in third person? or is it a shitty add on like oblivions was.

Einbroch

Banned
spirity said:
Urgh.

EDIT
105 pages now? Monster.
They're not even side-quests.

Tiers of quests, and how they look in my log:

Main Quest
Side Quest
Side Quest
Side Quest
Side Quest
Miscellaneous:
- 100s of little kill, fetch, go here quests. Literally 100s.

Wallach

Derrick01 said:
The normal quests will likely be fine and normal for ES. It's just the repeating quests that will be like that when you're done with the guilds and probably done with most of the game's quests to stop that "I don't have anything left" feeling.

Yeah. At the most you might engage in one just for the change of pace. I don't really mind.

q_q

c
spirity said:
Urgh.

EDIT
105 pages now? Monster.
Calm down man. These quests are just in there as added on bonus stuff. Theyre not going to sacrifice the real content of the game for that stuff.

spirity

Cutwolf said:
Quality response, but going forward, tone down the RPG-version of "it's too mainstream, therefore I hate it."

I prefered Oblivion to Morrowind, so its not really a case of someone being too legit to quit.

ACE 1991 said:
Wow, 6gb is pretty small for a game of this apparent magnitude. I'm expecting some low-ass resolution textures.

Well didn't they say it would be the exact same textures and stuff as on console? With added AA and stuff like that of course. I never actually read it but I heard it mentioned a lot of times on here.

Edit : Meh, not what he was saying.

bidaum

ACE 1991 said:
Wow, 6gb is pretty small for a game of this apparent magnitude. I'm expecting some low-ass resolution textures.
I wouldn't be surprised if they do a number of things procedurally.

Zeliard

spirity said:
Urgh.

Though at least in MMOs like WoW they at least make some sort of diabolical sense since the point is to get people chasing that carrot as long as possible so you can squeeze more money out of them. Not that I'm really defending the practice.

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Wait, this really has a Friday release?

Thursday night through Steam, basically. For West Coast bastards it looks to be unlocked at 9 PM Thursday. And I think Aussies get the game in like 20 hours.

Chairhome

Vire said:
Haha, I like the end, was that from some video response or something?
"how are you gonna kill a dinosaur with a toothpick?
So, forgive since I am a little uninitiated. I tried playing Oblivion when I got a 360 but it didn't really grab me. I quit after getting out of the dungeon. This game looks amazing though. So a little guidance, please:
I'm not sure what class/race to start as. I like going stealth-type, but will it be difficult to defeat dragons and bigger enemies this way? I'm up for a challenge, but I'm going to be a novice at this.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Chairhome said:
So, forgive since I am a little uninitiated. I tried playing Oblivion when I got a 360 but it didn't really grab me. I quit after getting out of the dungeon. This game looks amazing though. So a little guidance, please:
I'm not sure what class/race to start as. I like going stealth-type, but will it be difficult to defeat dragons and bigger enemies this way? I'm up for a challenge, but I'm going to be a novice at this.
Stealth is effective. Not sure how it will work for dragons! Your starting race matters little in the long run. You will get some initial bonuses, but I generally think you should choose whatever race you want.

bengraven

Literally 100s

T1eed.jpg

Phreaker

parabolee said:
They took it down. Can you reupload it somewhere else? Or under a secret name? Or make it viewable by link only? Although maybe Bethesda are monitoring this thread?

They have to be. Every time a youtube link is posted here a minute later it is taken down. :)

Chairhome

K2Valor said:
Stealth is effective. Not sure how it will work for dragons! Your starting race matters little in the long run. You will get some initial bonuses, but I generally think you should choose whatever race you want.
Thanks! I'm assuming items will play a part in taking down dragons.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Chairhome said:
Thanks! I'm assuming items will play a part in taking down dragons.
And dragon shouts, companions, etc. I'm assuming if you're going stealth you will be pretty proficient with a bow. You should be fine taking out dragons
3AQmK.gif

Zeliard

It would be amusing if you can sneak up on some sleeping dragon or something. The enemy dragons pretty much instantly aggro on you all the time, right?

Einbroch

Banned
I go companion-less as stealth. They're stupid and step right out into the light, giving away my position.

They sneak, but they sneak dumbly.

Chris R

ACE 1991 said:
Just give the mod community some time to produce a 8GB texture pack then :p

spirity said:
Urgh.

EDIT
105 pages now? Monster.
What's the problem? Don't do them if you don't like them. Leave them for the players who want to roleplay as a pelt hunter, or something. Their presence is completely valid.

Chairhome said:
In the past, stealth would only get you so far in the game before you were forced to fight. Oblivion was especially egregious - anyone who survived the
siege of the Imperial City
knows that stealth simply wasn't an option. My guess is stealth characters are going to have to employ hit and run tactics, with no small amount of powerful enchanted weapons and/or poisons. Doable, but challenging.

Volimar

Sweet Jesus! I cannot wait for this game, and I can't even get mine till December at the earliest!

Hey, if any of you are planning a MW3 style truck hijacking but with a truck full of Skyrim, throw a disadvantaged guy a 360 copy, will ya?

Deified Data said:
What's the problem? Don't do them if you don't like them. Leave them for the players who want to roleplay as a pelt hunter, or something. Their presence is completely valid.

That's actually a pretty good point. You can just do the ones that fit with the type of player you are and don't treat them as quests but just as part of your occupation. Though I think a pelt hunter is pretty far down on my list of roles to play. Maybe for my 83rd playthrough.

Omegasquash said:
Try falling in love with them when you're married.

"Honey, can you take the trash out?"

"OH! Look at this sweet enchant I just added to my longsword!"

"..."

My scenario is more like:

"I'm fighting a dragon right now can you do it?"

"I'm busy trying to decide what perk to use."

". . ."

<3

Volimar

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
My scenario is more like:

"I'm fighting a dragon right now can you do it?"

"I'm busy trying to decide what perk to use."

". . ."

<3

Soulmates

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's not like Oblivion doesn't have it too (e.g. vampire dust gives you money once you clear a certain quest, repeatable earnings from guilds, Black Bow bandits). It's just not stated as a quest.

ced

Someone asked this before, but I can't find it cause of our total shit search function.

Was it possible in Morrowind / Oblivion to be a stealth character that relied on illusion spells for the stealth, open lock etc?

More importantly, does Skyrim have those illusion spells and open lock spell? I think that might be pretty cool to do a thief that is only focused in magic and not abilities. I guess you would also need to be able to do a sneak attack from a illusion spell like invisibility.

epmode

So without going into the CD key resellers, is it possible to get this game at launch for under $60? DD preferably!

Wallach

epmode said:
So without going into the CD key resellers, is it possible to get this game at launch for under $60? DD preferably!

$54 dollars at D2D. I think that is the only deal you're going to see at this point until after release.

spirity

Deified Data said:

I did already recognise the fact that they aren't mandatory, but I still felt like voicing my dislike for them though. There's no problem really, I vented and thats that.

Zeliard

epmode said:

D2D has it for $53.95. It's Steamworks so it works out beautifully. They give you a key which you just active through Steam, then you can pre-load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom