• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Smash88 said:
DO YOU GUYS WANT TO SEE HNNNNGGGHHHHH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8wPlYw-zAg

Spoilers (If you want to call them that): Shows some shouts, and a dragon fight. 3rd Person camera is used a lot.

I don't know if this was posted already, but it loooooks sooooo goooood. Animations and everything amazing.

You can see some weird things like the animations cutting, and the ragdoll physics being dumb as usual, but other than that sooo gooood.

My God...dat soundtrack....dat magic....

This game man, continues to impress.

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, that's exactly how it works - each time you use another stone, it removes the power of the previous ones. Same goes for the blessing stones of the divines.
So if I'm understanding this correctly, once the intro is over, everyone should go locate one of the stones right away to get the EXP boost from the get-go...right?

edit: also, what is a blessing stone of the divines?

nickbreckon

Bethesda Community Manager
Bootaaay said:
Yes, that's an arrow stuck in my guy's neck, and yes I've tried everything I can think of to get rid of it :(

Couple ways to fix this: either get shot with a projectile of the same type (arrow), or sell the arrows of that type in your inventory (it counts as one). This'll be fixed completely in a future patch.

styl3s

I asked this earlier but no one replied.

To people who have played how viable is third person mode? is it just crappy and un viable like oblivion? or did they actually put time into this time and you can actually play in third person

Getting my copy here today like a few others. I'm getting the ps3 version so I'll update tonight after work, and see if there's texture problems and what not.

Now I can forget about the stupid parking ticket that I didn't even deserve.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
cmonmanreally said:
Slightly off topic but, I sold my Xbox about 2 months ago before moving to a new state knowing that I'd later regret it when this game came out. Anyway, I'm considering picking up another console to play it. If I'm completely disinterested in Kinnect and the games that come with the holiday bundle, is my best route to just but a 4GB model and a 250 GB hard drive add-on?
Get the 4GB from Target or Amazon and get the $50 gift card. Buy a 16GB flash drive. Buy Skyrim. $235

Echoplx

nickbreckon said:
Couple ways to fix this: either get shot with a projectile of the same type (arrow), or sell the arrows of that type in your inventory (it counts as one). This'll be fixed completely in a future patch.

This is completely unrelated but I'd like to thank you guys for giving Australians a good release date, I'll be playing in 18 hours :)

grendelrt

nickbreckon said:
Lol @ it counts as one. Viking necklace hehe

ironcreed

Banned
Deified Data said:
Have you heard if
they can accompany you as companions or not
?

I thought this was already confirmed. I am pretty sure they can and can even get killed while out exploring with you.

Khezu

Xanathus said:
See that video linked above with the dragon fight. If you're going pure spell casting, it looks like your hands will most of the time be in a specific pose where you're shooting out fire/ice/lightning in one hand and using support/healing spells in the other. It just looks silly, especially when he tanks the dragon breath by constantly healing himself with his left hand and shooting ice with the right hand.

I think he might have been playing on easy, standing in a stream of dragons breath is pretty fatal, even when spamming heals.

moojito

Smash88 said:

Spoilers (If you want to call them that): Shows some shouts, and a dragon fight. 3rd Person camera is used a lot.

I don't know if this was posted already, but it loooooks sooooo goooood. Animations and everything amazing.

You can see some weird things like the animations cutting, and the ragdoll physics being dumb as usual, but other than that sooo gooood.

Damn. This is all they ever needed to show.

Woorloog

Banned
nickbreckon said:
Since you're here, what about the texture issue? And kill cam not being toggleable? And ability to turn off slow-mo would be nice as well.

Zeliard

Xanathus said:
See that video linked above with the dragon fight. If you're going pure spell casting, it looks like your hands will most of the time be in a specific pose where you're shooting out fire/ice/lightning in one hand and using support/healing spells in the other. It just looks silly, especially when he tanks the dragon breath by constantly healing himself with his left hand and shooting ice with the right hand.

Well, there are plenty of spells, as well as spells that become more powerful when wielded in both hands and combined into one attack.

Personally I plan on going mostly magic as I usually do in Elder Scrolls and mixing things up often.

Not sure what difficulty and such he's playing on in that vid, and what perks/gear etc he may have. His mana regens very quickly and he doesn't seem to take much damage in general.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Smash88 said:

It's beautiful. Shame I won't be using as much magic as this.

Sophuis

Neo Member
I've got some questions about spells.

First, bound weapons. What happens when you summon a one handed sword from both hands and overcharge it? DOES it even overcharge, or do you just conjure two swords in either hand? If it does overcharge, how does that work? Better version in both hands? Or just a single one, without a way to summon another for the off hand without dispelling the first?

What's the difference between wards from Restoration and the shield spell from Alteration? I saw a spell that conjured a magical field in front of a guy and I heard it acted as a physical shield. That true? Does it block more than just physical blows or are the magical damage types still split into different defenses?

Is there any bound armor in the game? I've seen no screenshots, heard no rumors, saw no video.

How does enchanting measure up? Is the perk to make bound weapons steal souls worth it?

NZNova

My body is ready. Just finished the preload last night. Seemed a little small, only 5gb. Expected a larger volume of data for a game like Skyrim.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Okay, so I have the CE bought on Amazon, but it won't get here till around 4-6 pm. I'll be home all day. If the Steam version unlocks at midnight, I'm going to be seriously conflicted.

So here's the thing. I buy both, give one code to my brother who has a birthday on the 17th.

Or I wait.

Or I get rid of the CE edition.

I can't take this sort of pressure

Hex

Banned
styl3s said:
I asked this earlier but no one replied.

To people who have played how viable is third person mode? is it just crappy and un viable like oblivion? or did they actually put time into this time and you can actually play in third person

Those that have mentioned third person have not spoken highly of it.
It may be improved from what is described but far from a good way to play.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Bootaaay, just curious, what plate armor is your character equipped with right now?

Elven.

Lakitu said:
Has anybody who has the game found any treasure maps yet?

Yeah, I've got one, but haven't found the location yet. They work just like RDR treasure maps, as in you get a sketch of the surrounding area and have to search for it.

DoctorWho said:
Can I have a woman in each town?

No idea, but I doubt it. I'll try anyways :p

Deified Data said:
Have you heard if
they can accompany you as companions or not
?

No idea, it may depend on the NPC you marry though. Mine was a merchant, so I don't get the option to have her accompany me.

nickbreckon said:

Awesome, thanks for the response Nick. I'll be sure to try that should it ever occur again.

The Lamonster said:
So if I'm understanding this correctly, once the intro is over, everyone should go locate one of the stones right away to get the EXP boost from the get-go...right?

edit: also, what is a blessing stone of the divines?

Yeah, it would probably be beneficial to find one right away if you want to quickly level specific attributes. The blessing stones are just altars to the Nine Divines (Talos, Mara, Arkay, etc) and like in the previous games, praying at one of the alters cures you of disease and grants you a bonus specific to each god.

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, it would probably be beneficial to find one right away if you want to quickly level specific attributes. The blessing stones are just altars to the Nine Divines (Talos, Mara, Arkay, etc) and like in the previous games, praying at one of the alters cures you of disease and grants you a bonus specific to each god.
Thanks again for all the info!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I can feel myself cracking. My finger poised over the Steam Pre-Purchase button. Damn it.
It just looks so epic.

jet1911

Smash88 said:

Wow. The part
where the dragon summon the other one
, with the music. Amazing! :eek:

Orcastar

I hesitated too long and lost my chance of preordering the CE... Oh well, the damn thing would have cost $220, so I guess it's for the best. I'll just pick up the regular edition on Friday. Can't wait!

Zeliard

SteveWD40 said:
I hope we can keybind on PC, having to keep hitting the menus to change spells / weapons is going to suck after a while.

That menu is a console necessity. Hopefully we'll get a PC-specific UI as well as the usual assortment of custom binds, though at least that's something modders can quickly take care of. They really shouldn't have to, though.

Durante

You could keybind spells in vanilla Oblivion, right? (It's been so long since I played unmodded that I'm not certain anymore)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
That menu is a console necessity. Hopefully we'll get a PC-specific UI as well as the usual assortment of custom binds, though at least that's something modders can quickly take care of. They really shouldn't have to, though.
After Oblivion, I kinda doubt anything regarding the menus will be changed :(

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but Kasavin & Giant Bomb are streaming Skyrim for 12 hours on Thursday Noon EST.

Get hype.

Are Bethesda too poor to hire British voice actors or are the American accents really a design choice? Fantasy... unnatural...

Pedantic, I know, but it does bug me.

Wallach

Durante said:
You could keybind spells in vanilla Oblivion, right? (It's been so long since I played unmodded that I'm not certain anymore)

Yeah, there were 8 slots for keybinding spells (or items). Pretty sure you can still do that in Skyrim since in the first gameplay video there's switching between weapons and spells without accessing even the favorites menu.

Cutwolf

angelkimne said:
Are Bethesda too poor to hire British voice actors or are the American accents really a design choice? Fantasy... unnatural...

Pedantic, I know, but it does bug me.

...why are American accents in a completely fantasy RPG world unnatural?

Sorry Bro Montana, brits don't have a monopoly on the fantasy genre.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wallach said:
Yeah, there were 8 slots for keybinding spells (or items). Pretty sure you can still do that in Skyrim since in the first gameplay video there's switching between weapons and spells without accessing even the favorites menu.
But those were bindable in the console version as well, I just meant I don't really expect changes from the console UI.

Wallach

Bufbaf said:
But those were bindable in the console version as well, I just meant I don't really expect changes from the console UI.

I don't either, really. That said even the console UI looks quite a lot easier to use than Oblivion's UI regardless of input device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom