• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
EviLore said:
What "tolkien-esque dungeons and dragons style rpgs" are you specifically comparing it to?

It just seems to me to resemble 80% of the RTS / RPG back catalogue on GOG.com

It's a fantasy themed "kingdom far away with elves and goblins and dragon killing what-not" role playing game isn't it?

FGMPR

Banned
kurtrussell said:
Disclaimer:This is not an attempt at trolling.

I was wondering if any GAFfers in this thread could explain what all the fuss is about? I've seen demos, and gameplay videos and chatted to friends who are getting very excited about the release, but at the end of the day, this is just another tolkein-esque dungeons and dragons style RPG isn't it?

What am I missing here?

Sort of, but its not like there are many of them being made these days and certainly not on the scale of this beast.

ElyrionX

kurtrussell said:

I was wondering if any GAFfers in this thread could explain what all the fuss is about? I've seen demos, and gameplay videos and chatted to friends who are getting very excited about the release, but at the end of the day, this is just another tolkein-esque dungeons and dragons style RPG isn't it?

What am I missing here?

There aren't that many open world western RPGs out there with the lore and attention to detail like The Elder Scrolls series. That is why, despite its many significant flaws, the game still manages to garner a huge amount of attention.

kurtrussell said:

What am I missing here?
People love the Elder Scrolls series. This is a new installment. Is there anything else?

Khezu

I wouldn't really consider it that "tolkein-esque", I guess on the surface with the elves and shit, but ES kinda goes in some really weird places.

Woorloog

Banned
kurtrussell said:

It's a fantasy themed "kingdom far away with elves and goblins and dragon killing what-not" role playing game isn't it?
GOG? Good Old Games. Meh. We need something new Tolkien-esque.
For me, there can be never enough open world games and the attention to detail, the lore, that stuff is incredible in TES series.

And i have a feeling i won't be getting Skyrim today... :(

Neo 007

Walking up into the snow covered mountains is so completely convincing,you almost feel cold to the bone.
The air,surroundings,terrain.
Was my first quest and I can't wait for whatelse is about to unfold.

Spookie

Whelp. No Skyrim for me today apparently it's too much fucking trouble to carry two parcels at once. Shame on me for buying it online. Should have paid the extra and gone digital del.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Amazon uk said they just shipped today, ordered it about 2 months ago, i dont order off them often but they estimate a friday delivery, for anyone who uses them often is this likely for new "big" releases? (Slightly worried how close to the mark the despatch is :eek:)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Spookie said:
Whelp. No Skyrim for me today apparently it's too much fucking trouble to carry two parcels at once. Shame on me for buying it online. Should have paid the extra and gone digital del.

What was in the other parcel?

inner-G said:
I hope some sort of PS3/360 comparison comes out before midnight!

I want to make sure I get the better console version.

Well, I think 360 was the lead platform for development, so, I would just go with that, untill you really want to wait for comparisons. Me, I'm just getting the PC version for now since I have no 360.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Mind said:
Trouble is paradise.. more savegames seems to slow down the game.
Can anybody confirm?

lol
Bethesda's gamebryo

had this problem in both Fallout games.

wiggleb0t

Banned
It's baffling to think the game releases in a few hours yet not once have they published any 1080p pc screenshots....footage...nothing..... It's like a huge ignored audience left waiting in the cold..
Not bashing consoles I just want to see a glimpse at what I plan to purchase & they're fine with doing that on consoles however pc users are ignored...

Ledsen

kurtrussell said:

Why are you ignoring the gameplay? People aren't excited about it for the lore and visual design, but for the gameplay. I think most people wouldn't give a shit whether there are elves and orcs or some other type of made-up fantasy creature. It's a first-person open world exploration based WRPG, and there aren't many of those around...

thecheese

No cloth map?
LLShC.gif

Well I canceled my Amazong pre-order, and I'm going with D2D.

spekkeh

Banned
Mr Cola said:
Amazon uk said they just shipped today, ordered it about 2 months ago, i dont order off them often but they estimate a friday delivery, for anyone who uses them often is this likely for new "big" releases? (Slightly worried how close to the mark the despatch is :eek:)
UK-> next day; Ireland, Netherlands 2 days; west europe 3 days, east europe a bit longer. I thought it was something like that at least. (on super saver delivery)

Seep

Mr Cola said:
Amazon are very reliable with game releases. It might say shipped today but it will have been shipped Tuesday or Wednesday to make sure you get it on release day.

Uninstalled (360) and played for a little bit, didn't notice a difference with the graphics, noticed a big difference with load times though. Reinstalling!

Antagon

wiggleb0t said:
It's baffling to think the game releases in a few hours yet not once have they published any 1080p pc screenshots....footage...nothing..... It's like a huge ignored audience left waiting in the cold..
Not bashing consoles I just want to see a glimpse at what I plan to purchase & they're fine with doing that on consoles however pc users are ignored...

They haven't shown any PS3 footage either. I think they kept embargoes up for too long anyway, releasing reviews the day that the game is released is a bit late if you ask me.

Hyphen

Mr Cola said:

Yes, should be fine. Amazon UK haven't let me down... yet.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Hyphen said:
Yes, should be fine. Amazon UK haven't let me down... yet.

Thanks all who responded :D

EXCITEMENT AMPLIFIED!!

Mind

Neo Member
Source for the slowdown with more than 3 saves comes from a bunch of fellow Dutch players. We've been playing the game since friday.

PS3 install is 5,5gig.

Phonomezer said:
How big is it on PS3? It's only just over 3GB on 360.
Bah not sure, wasn't paying attention

very first impressions - the shadows are still awfully pixelated, VA is all over the place, the framerate is abysmal (made me feel a bit nauseous) but good atmosphere. Pretty confident the framerate will sort itself out before long

Shoogoo

Fucking France and their inability to let a game untranslated. Having to wait until next tuesday is getting harder and harder D:

Hyphen

Mind said:
Trouble is paradise.. more savegames seems to slow down the game.
Can anybody confirm?

Yes, Bootaaay (I think) confirmed that he had nearly 30 saves (PS3 version) which resulted in game slow down. He deleted them down to 2, and everything became smooth again.

spekkeh

Banned
Mind said:
Source for the slowdown with more than 3 saves comes from a bunch of fellow Dutch players. We've been playing the game since friday.

PS3 install is 5,5gig.
After ten minutes you already have more than 3 saves. It goes absolutely wild on creating new autosave slots every time you travel. Not something you can make reliable claims on tbh.

(besides if you've been playing since friday, you're playing the cracked version)

burnfout

Is anyone else finding this game quite challenging on adept?

I just randomly explored the shimmering mist dungeon, full of Falders and a miniboss.

I died 15 times+ and had to use all my magicka and health potions to finally make it.

Feels awesome :)

Dommel

Mind said:

PS3 install is 5,5gig.

I rotate between 4 save games and haven't noticed any slowdown?

Or is 4 not considered many/enough?

Mr YuYu

Hyphen said:
Yes, Bootaaay (I think) confirmed that he had nearly 30 saves (PS3 version) which resulted in game slow down. He deleted them down to 2, and everything became smooth again.

wtf.... Maybe this is my problem? atm i have 10-ish save files.
I'll try reducing them to 3 tonight!

Woorloog

Banned
So. It seems i'll be sticking with Oblivion today. Sigh. There's still a chance to get it, i don't think we've gotten any mail today yet...
Fuck.
Would've been alone today, not tomorrow (nor weekend).
I need to get a gaming PC or a laptop than can run Skyrim with highest settings...

Ningo

:( Just as well I have an exam in the morning so not a total catastrophe.
Oh shit I've got an exam in the morning

Too bad all their retail stores are also sold out. Guess i'll go look for a copy on my way home tomorrow.

Mind

Neo Member
spekkeh said:
After ten minutes you already have more than 3 saves. It goes absolutely wild on creating new autosave slots every time you travel. Not something you can make reliable claims on tbh.

(besides if you've been playing since friday, you're playing the cracked version)
We have NOT been playing the cracked version. Stores just put it on their shelves on friday. And the game only makes one autosave.

Mr YuYu

Mind said:
We have NOT been playing the cracked version. Stores just put it on their shelves on friday. And the game only makes one autosave.

I have 3 autosaves atm. I believe you about the game selling on friday though.
I was able to get it here in Belgium on tuesday (this week)

Putty

Can't believe i'm saying this ...but im picking this up tommorow, and am trading...Dark Soul's for it 8( I'll get DS again of course but this is the one game i'm hoping will keep me entertained right through to the new year (work projects aside).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom