• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr YuYu

Timber said:
Yeah that doesn't sound right at all.

Clear cache?

I allready tried clearing the cache but it did not help at all. Guess i have to wait untill tommorow and see if anybody else is having the same problem :-/

LCfiner

yeah, I'm going to have to get this pre-loaded on Steam today. I can't wait till the weekend is over to get my pre-ordered xbox copy in the mail.

oh well. i might be an interesting exercise for me to compare them once I've played both.

Ponti

cyberheater said:
I'm using vpnsecure.me

It cost me $2 for a 2 day trail. I looked long and hard for a free one but there was non that I found that worked properly or they required your credit card details and you had to terminate the account at the end of the trail or they billed you.
vpnsecure.me offer allows you a single payment via paypal. Seemed reasonable to me.
Awesome, thanks for the info. From 11 hours to 3, whoo!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Pixel Pete said:
haha wtf? You'd be happy to pay $90USD for skyrim? because our dollar is at parity with the USD, and yet we pay 50% on top of the US price...

Amazing as in, I can't believe you guys pay that much for games. What a rip.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I just got home and had a chance to watch my brother play for a bit.
First impressions, game looks fantastic. I was one of those who was horrified by how poorly the game looked in stills, looks so much better in motion.
The music seems a bit out a place at times, I'm tempted to just switch it off and leave the other sounds on if it's at all possible as I loved the sound of the ambient noises while running around outside.
When I finally get to play my own copy I'm seriously going to feel overwhelmed by how much world there is to explore.

Woorloog

Banned
Dammit, i can't do anything but wait and hope i get the game today, if it doesn't come within an hour, it is unlikely it comes today at all.
What i'm going to do, play Oblivion?
Gah!

Oh wait, i could choose perks...

Antagon

TheVampire said:
I think the graphics look good on 360.
Better than Oblivion.

But then I also am a little high right now.

It looks far better then Oblivion. But then, Oblivion was really ugly.
Personally I like the environments a lot. Characters are not too great, but still far better then Oblivion.

spekkeh

Banned
People who are let down by the graphics are absolutely mental. Yeah the animations are cruddy, but the vistas are of RDR level, only with more detail.

I bet the reason there haven't been any PC screenshots, is that it's going to look pretty much the same (only with a higher resolution obv), and really, it's fine.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
A comparison of file sizes I came across while waiting for Steam to do it's thing.

unbenannt1arubd.jpg

Interesting to see the difference in texture and mesh sizes.

Haha this reminds me of Oblivion so much.

Being so weak at the start then ending up godly strong when completely finsihed.
I say this because I just got mauled by a pack of wolves.

Meh my Steam account says 13+ hours.

Can't seem to get hyped enough considering that this game was all I craved for the passing year. Might be because I'm sick as fuck and feel absolutely horrible. At least I'll have time to play.

spekkeh

Banned
Imp the Dimp said:
Watching Giantbomb play Morrowind fills my heart with joy. Modded Morrowind might as well be the best RPG in existence (sorry Baldur's Gate 2). Then again, it pains me to know Bethesda'll never deliver an experience close to this ever again if they keep casualizing and simplifying their games.
Yeah, cause Morrowind was like, hardcore, a niche game totally not intended for mass market.

spekkeh

Banned
cyberheater said:
A comparison of file sizes I came across while waiting for Steam to do it's thing.

unbenannt1arubd.jpg

Doesn't really say that much as there could be directx 9 and 10 implementations of the same stuff in there.

cyberheater

spekkeh said:
Doesn't really say that much as there could be directx 9 and 10 implementations of the same stuff in there.

Could be. But I hope we get a texture bump for PC users.

Hanmik

spekkeh said:
Anyone know when the review embargo ends? I thought it would be today.

I know that the review from gamereactor.dk is published 14:01 danish time. (13:01 in the UK).. so maybe that is when the embargo lifts,.,.?

voltron

The graphics to me look like everything weve been seeing in the videos the past few months. Are people claiming that they had higher expectations based on those videos?

KKRT00

cyberheater said:

unbenannt1arubd.jpg

Interesting, especially 10mb more shaders.

spekkeh

Banned
cyberheater said:
I hope so for PC gamers too. Textures can be a bit muddy when you get really close to them, but they look fine and sharp on the 'usual' distance.

On the other hand, seeing as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of mipmapping (on xbox at least), creating higher res textures could create lots of aliasing effects for the usual distance. So that could be an argument why you won't see it on PC.

cyberheater

I've got two choices. Go and do something productive for the next 1 and 30 mins or keep pressing F5 on this thread...

Andiie said:
The music seems a bit out a place at times, I'm tempted to just switch it off and leave the other sounds on if it's at all possible as I loved the sound of the ambient noises while running around outside.

wat.

I couldn't imagine playing any Elder Scrolls game without the beautiful music, regardless of how many times I've heard it.

Just bought the guide! :D

Gamemania is selling it in the Netherlands. It's the paperback version though. But damn it's huge.

Skyrim unlocks at 00:01 tonight right?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Were there any substantial impressions from the people who already can play it on PS3/360?

cyberheater said:
I will be playing the game come launch but I expect the inevitable high res texture mod to really improve things. It was the same for every Bethesda title released in the last five years. It will look fine on the consoles with a small resolution and a big distance between screen and player but on the PC you'll notice the low res textures no matter the resolution of the screen.

Disclaimer:This is not an attempt at trolling.

I was wondering if any GAFfers in this thread could explain what all the fuss is about? I've seen demos, and gameplay videos and chatted to friends who are getting very excited about the release, but at the end of the day, this is just another tolkein-esque dungeons and dragons style RPG isn't it?

What am I missing here?

Neo 007

Just cleared a Dungeon..quest related.
Great little storyline in itself.My first one..made me smile.

It all points towards being many steps above Oblivion in all areas so far.

Oh yeah..PS3 version here..rock-solid from putting the disc in the console.

The music is so good in this game. The graphics are very Gamebryo, but the world feels a lot more alive than Oblivion and interacting with NPCs is a lot better. The opening 30 minutes are full of your typical Bethesda Jank™, but it's better once you're on your own.

3rd person view is pretty good this time around, thankfully!

Can someone explain what is supposed to be wrong with installing the game on 360? Something to do with textures? I think I may have encountered a problem (spoiler)
In the watchtower when you're doing that quest to retrieve the shop owners Golden Claw... are the floorboards on the 2nd floor supposed to just be.. err, white? It looks off, like a glitch.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Neo 007 said:
Just cleared a Dungeon..quest related.
Great little storyline in itself.My first one..made me smile.

It all points towards being many steps above Oblivion in all areas so far.

Oh yeah..PS3 version here..rock-solid from putting the disc in the console.

More impressions please, if possible. Please make me want to buy the game now on PS3 instead of waiting for the PC game which I might need to play on low graphics details.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
kurtrussell said:
Disclaimer:This is not an attempt at trolling.

I was wondering if any GAFfers in this thread could explain what all the fuss is about? I've seen demos, and gameplay videos and chatted to friends who are getting very excited about the release, but at the end of the day, this is just another tolkein-esque dungeons and dragons style RPG isn't it?

What am I missing here?

What "tolkien-esque dungeons and dragons style rpgs" are you specifically comparing it to?

It's funny that the framerate drops in the first 30 minutes of the game but since you're on your own and able to walk where you want...the framerate seems to be stable....
It's Bethesda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom