• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttocs

Is anyone else picking up the collector's edition guide to get access to this 3D Skyrim map thing? I just read about it and I'm going to see if my GameStop has extra copies. Anyone know any more about it?

taoofjord

Hmm, the pc screens are decent at best. Looks pretty much like oblivion tech-wise with better art direction. I hope a couple graphic tweak mods come out by tomorrow evening... perhaps an increased ground clutter for the non grassy areas (rocks)

Lakitu

st5fu
Fuck it, I think I'll play some Oblivion tonight to get in the mood. I still have some quests to do on that, so why not.

Dmax3901

Some honest PC impressions from someone who doesn't get hung up on graphics. Keep in mind I've only played the intro.

The textures I'll be able to handle, although if you're the type who with a new game runs straight to the nearest wall to count the pixels you're going to be disappointed. The only texture so far to really bug me is on my character's hands in first person. It looks quite dated. The shadows are very disappointing, really jaggy.

The interface in general is pretty clunky (the fucking sliders my god), but these are easily fixed, I hope, with mods.

On the bright side: artistically it looks great, all the races look far better, the mountains in the distance, the swirling mist, the voice acting trumps Oblivion in the first minute. The animations, despite the oft mentioned Bethesda 'jank', are welcome. The music of course is fantastic and so is the sound, which I wasn't expecting. Walking through a cave you can almost feel the gust of fresh air as you approach a new passage leading to the surface, or the water dripping from the ceiling. Basically the atmosphere is tops.

That'll do for now, here's a shot of the 'moment' you enter the world of Skyrim.

http://i.imgur.com/OJyoe.jpg

spekkeh

Banned
Rapstah said:
I wonder what the reason is behind the interface difference? Is the interface completely different between consoles and PC, and does the 360 version also include all the files of the PC interface?

In fact file sizes are pretty uncertain in that way. We can't tell how much of that is unused. Even if it's unlikely that the developers would include different amounts of unused content in different versions, if half the smaller size is garbage data, there's much more of a difference in data size of the actually used content up to the larger size.
I said it before, but many games have different files to accomodate for low/medium/high res and different directx versions on the pc; whereas for the console you naturally need only one (plus possible r/mipmaps). Size doesn't really tell you much in this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The PC Game looks amazing.

For folks running their PC rig through a AV receiver, you're in for a audio treat. The positional 5.1 is exemplary.

Wallach

Anyone with an ATI card know if it still has dithering problems on grass when using default in-game AA?

Edit - it's a general transparencies thing but it was easiest to see on the grass.

Lakitu said:
Fuck it, I think I'll play some Oblivion tonight to get in the mood. I still have some quests to do on that, so why not.
I did that last night.

I had forgotten how difficult it was to install mods on the PC version. I mean, some mods are simple, but I couldn't get the game to load with Marsten's Monster Mod installed. At least I got OOO, Darnified UI, Unique Landscapes, and Unofficial Patch all working together. I got my new Orc Warrior to Journeyman in the Fighter's Guild and Mages Guild before stopping for the night - didn't even go to Kvatch yet for the Oblivion Gate. I was going to install Deadly Reflexes tonight but I think I may just jump on the Skyrim train if everyone is unlocking it early like this!

markot

Banned
It looks nice, not super or anything.

I hope we can change the fov soon >.< it feels so small.

Its kinda pretty in some spots, but after playing witcher you kinda realise how far back it is in most still.

Runs super smooth on my computer, but I gots a 6950 so its kinda over kill...

Euphor!a

Banned
Anyone here able to get one of those D2D Steam keys for $46? I could PayPal you the money instantly and I would really appreciate it.

spekkeh

Banned
taoofjord said:
Hmm, the pc screens are decent at best. Looks pretty much like oblivion tech-wise with better art direction. I hope a couple graphic tweak mods come out by tomorrow evening... perhaps an increased ground clutter for the non grassy areas (rocks)
OblivionX18.JPG

skyrim4.jpg

dat artwork.

garath

markot said:
It looks nice, not super or anything.

I hope we can change the fov soon >.< it feels so small.

Its kinda pretty in some spots, but after playing witcher you kinda realise how far back it is in most still.

Runs super smooth on my computer, but I gots a 6950 so its kinda over kill...

Looks like you can just open the console and type FOV 90 to change it.

Gvaz

Banned
Dmax3901 said:
Some honest PC impressions from someone who doesn't get hung up on graphics. Keep in mind I've only played the intro.

The textures I'll be able to handle, although if you're the type who with a new game runs straight to the nearest wall to count the pixels you're going to be disappointed. The only texture so far to really bug me is on my character's hands in first person. It looks quite dated. The shadows are very disappointing, really jaggy.

The interface in general is pretty clunky (the fucking sliders my god), but these are easily fixed, I hope, with mods.

On the bright side: artistically it looks great, all the races look far better, the mountains in the distance, the swirling mist, the voice acting trumps Oblivion in the first minute. The animations, despite the oft mentioned Bethesda 'jank', are welcome. The music of course is fantastic and so is the sound, which I wasn't expecting. Walking through a cave you can almost feel the gust of fresh air as you approach a new passage leading to the surface, or the water dripping from the ceiling. Basically the atmosphere is tops.

That'll do for now, here's a shot of the 'moment' you enter the world of Skyrim.

ttp://i.imgur.com/OJyoe.jpg
All I'm seeing is shitty textures and floating running animations are coming back to haunt me.

Sounds like vanilla Oblivion 2.0 from those impressions, bah

Dmax3901 said:

The textures on the rock and grass look oblivionesque, but i still play oblivion and love it so I could care less.

KKRT00

NBtoaster said:
More (this is max settings)

http://www.abload.de/img/tesv2011-11-1102-48-3pu86a.png[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/tesv2011-11-1103-07-37ojc8.png[img][/QUOTE]
They could at least include high res textures for weapons ;\

ttocs

Let's just hope there aren't any issues like there were with Fallout: NV. I took the day off work, played a solid 8 hours, and then had to restart because of corrupt save files. That wasn't fun at all.

markot

Banned
Heres some quick screens of it at ultra max or whatever its called before I go sleep.

ScreenShot4.jpg
ScreenShot3.jpg
ScreenShot2.jpg

Also some of the menus feel kinda bleh and not so great with the mouse. Alsoooo, the character customiser is still shit >.<

markot said:
Heres some quick screens of it at ultra max or whatever its called before I go sleep.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/markot/ScreenShot4.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/markot/ScreenShot3.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/markot/ScreenShot2.jpg[IMG]

Also some of the menus feel kinda bleh and not so great with the mouse. Alsoooo, the character customiser is still shit >.<[/QUOTE]Dat screens!

Even visually its a great improvement over Oblivion - and man, the animation/control of character is so much less janky. I'm loving it so far.

Went Bosmer, he looks pretty sweet.

Damn, I'm going to have to stop playing FFType-0 long enough to play Skyrim.
Why can't I play two games at the same time? Explain that to me, laws of time and space.

spekkeh

Banned
GarthVaderUK said:
Oblivion had bigger problems than graphics and menus, most of which seem to have been dealt with according to reviews and impressions.
Everybody knows PC gaming is only about graphics and dickwaving your stats.

thefil

So I didn't have a chance to test if the change did anything, but in one of the Skyrim INIs there is a mouse acceleration parameter. It is 1 by default, and I suspect it is causing all the issues with mouse input people are experiencing (myself included).

krpiper

Gvaz said:
All I'm seeing is shitty textures and floating running animations are coming back to haunt me.

Sounds like vanilla Oblivion 2.0 from those impressions, bah

Well what do you expect? Its the same engine and on the same generation of consoles

garath

markot said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/markot/ScreenShot4.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/markot/ScreenShot3.jpg[IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/markot/ScreenShot2.jpg[IMG]

Also some of the menus feel kinda bleh and not so great with the mouse. Alsoooo, the character customiser is still shit >.<[/QUOTE]

Now that looks great!

Dmax3901

arts&crafts said:
The textures on the rock and grass look oblivionesque, but i still play oblivion and love it so I could care less.

I'm the same, I see the textures, I note they're sub par for this day and age, then I fucking tremble as I realise I'm on the verge of exploring a brand new Elder Scrolls world.

Sleep, for now. Tomorrow, RIVERWOOD!

markot

Banned
It looks better though, those are just of the bit before you get to a town... I would have taken some shots there, but I hit someone accidentally, block with the bow does this push thing, and then they all started trying to kill me >.<

Roche

Nezabyte said:
If I use VPN now, can I stop using it when Skyrim officially releases in my area?

You can stop using it as soon as you activate it I think, if you're setting up an account any chance you could set up a throwaway to share with others when you're done?

(I'm pretty desperate lol)

mikespit1200 said:
Hmm, might try that when I get home. Have people gotten banned for doing this?

As far as I know they only ban you if you purchase using a VPN (It's considered tax fraud), you can activate it and they won't ban you.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I saw a post on another forum that people testing multiple 360s are having the texture loading issue on one unit and not the other. I wonder if it's hit or miss for some people, having to do with the 360/HDD model?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Shadybiz said:
If anyone is running this on a single gtx 460, or equivalent, I would be VERY interested to hear how it's running : )

I'm running my over clocked GTX460 at 1080p and it looks pretty smooth to me.

Argonians represent~

I'm regretting queuing the 360 version now though. I guess it's always when past experience makes you cocky that your choices bite you in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom