• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerkShep

I can't keep up with the thread. Can someone make a brief summary about the 360 version?
Technical issues, bugs, freeze, the usual Bethesda stuff. Buying it tomorrow morning

Rapstah

Don't go for the VPN solution unless you're somehow both very eager to play Skyrim and very patient for the VPN client. Steam hardly works for me since it's obviously having to send all signals through Australia first. No way in hell it's going to be able to download any potential missing files and/or authenticate before midnight here at this rate.

EDIT: But getting Australian forum ads is sort of fun. Tasmania is looking like a great travel destination.

JerkShep said:
I can't keep up with the thread. Can someone make a brief summary about the 360 version?
Technical issues, bugs, freeze, the usual Bethesda stuff. Buying it tomorrow morning

No freezes, no getting trapped in geometry (hello BF3), nothing gamebreaking... not sure if it was a glitch, but a giant hit me on the head with his hammer and I just flew up and the air and I didn't stop until I died and the game reloaded, haha.

There was also one bug where an NPC was teleporting around the room and talking to me during a main quest cutscene :lol

Other than that, it's quite polished for day 1 Bethesda. There are the usual shitty animations, someone walking into a wall, someone talking to you while they're walking away, etc, but it's passible in a game this big (and the game is biiiiiig), imo.

Nalsh

Finally bit the bullet and decided to pre-load. Was worried about it not downloading in time but I'm getting 17 MB/s down :)

ironcreed

Banned
Here are some features that I think will clearly make it the crown of the series.

- Being able to mix and match spells in either hand for endless variety. Fire and ice, healing and lightning, dual fire, etc.

- The fact that you will have Dragon Shouts in addition to such an intricate and wide open spell system. My god, think of the powers at your disposal here.

- All of the various perks and freedom yet again to wield whatever you want in either hand in terms of weapons and/or spells. Basically, the gameplay freedom and variety is just ridiculous and will offer countless ways to play more than ever before.

- Last, but not least, the incredible environments and soundtrack. The atmosphere is just off the charts.

I am betting I will come across various other reasons once I finally get to play it tomorrow, but these are just a few quick impressions I have gathered from reading reviews. It looks like it has taken what is great about the series, expanded upon it, improved some areas that had complaints and added even more greatness on top of that. Despite some bugs here and there that we all knew would be there, the sheer magnitude and quality of the game overall obviously makes it a masterpiece.

does anyone know exactly how the mixing of spells actually works? Like is it just a matter of tying one spell to one hand and one to another, or do you actually get different effects using them together?to use a touch of wow parlance, being able to make a flashfire bolt would make me roll a mage, period.

woober said:
Yikes... the texture work on that sword is kind of bad. Nothing mods won't fix eventually though.

The textures are something people are going to whine about endlessly for the next week or so. Up close, some parts of the environment can look pretty fucking ugly.

GreekWolf

Augemitbutter said:
I'm going to have to call bullshit on this one. We already know the 360 version is suffering from a texture streaming glitch, which will supposedly be remedied tomorrow with the patch. They didn't seem to mention that issue at all in their comparison. Also, the Quakecon demo (confirmed to be console footage) looked noticeably better than either version displayed in that video.

I guess it's feasible they scaled back texture resolution over the last several months, but I think I'll wait for LoT and DF's verdict before making that assumption.

sytadel said:
Triple monitor setups pale in comparison to a decent 1080p projector setup. 150" Skyrim is gaming ecstasy.
Amen, brother. I thought gaming on my Panny plasma was as good as it could possibly get... until my BenQ W6000 arrived this summer. Playing through Uncharted 3 last week
(especially the ship graveyard)
was a revelation.

After you activate the game using a vpn you can go to the skyrim folder and click TESV.exe and the game will boot so you can go back to your own internet. Just found that out.

Ferny

So was watching that comparison video and it looks like the PS3 version, at least on consoles, is the better option?

Bliany

The closer we get to the Steam unlock the more anxious I'm getting about my computer being capable of handling the game.

Ease my mind guys? I'm on a MacBook Pro with bootcamped Windows 7:

Intel i7 M620 Quad 2.7GHz
4gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 330M

Wallach

FrontalMonk said:
does anyone know exactly how the mixing of spells actually works? Like is it just a matter of tying one spell to one hand and one to another, or do you actually get different effects using them together?to use a touch of wow parlance, being able to make a flashfire bolt would make me roll a mage, period.

You can't mix two different spells together into one effect. You can put the same spell on both hands to make an effect that is multiplied. If you have two different spells in each hand, you can activate both at the same time but they will still work independently.

tha_devil

blahblah...blah said:
I really hate the 'live' map. I just want a nice, traditional one - so much easier to see where you are, where you're going, what's around you, etc.
Yeah that map kinda sucks. Im playing now for few hours, very awsome :D

One thing, (maybe its been answered, sorry didnt follow thread)

But alot of time when i am searching a body for items, i have to literally wait seconds before i can pick an item. Sometimes its instant (ps3 version).

ElyrionX

How do I check when this unlocks for me on Steam? All I see on my library page is a button to preload it. But nowhere does it states when it's supposed to unlock.

ttocs

ElyrionX said:
How do I check when this unlocks for me on Steam? All I see on my library page is a button to preload it. But nowhere does it states when it's supposed to unlock.
Midnight. Or go to the store page for the game.

thefil

Bliany said:
The closer we get to the Steam unlock the more anxious I'm getting about my computer being capable of handling the game.

Ease my mind guys? I'm on a MacBook Pro with bootcamped Windows 7:

Intel i7 M620 Quad 2.7GHz
4gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GT 330M

You will definitely be able to play. No issue. My girlfriend has your computer and plays all sorts of modern games on high settings and whatever.

ShinNL

ElyrionX said:
Right-click - View store page.

Owzers

GreekWolf said:
I'm going to have to call bullshit on this one. We already know the 360 version is suffering from a texture streaming glitch, which will supposedly be remedied tomorrow with the patch. They didn't seem to mention that issue at all in their comparison. Also, the Quakecon demo (confirmed to be console footage) looked noticeably better than either version displayed in that video.

I guess it's feasible they scaled back texture resolution over the last several months, but I think I'll wait for LoT and DF's verdict before making that assumption.

Amen, brother. I thought gaming on my Panny plasma was as good as it could possibly get... until my BenQ W6000 arrived this summer. Playing through Uncharted 3 last week
(especially the ship graveyard)
was a revelation.

What patch is this?

Kritz

Banned
Impressions after three hours of playing, mostly exploring and mudering dudes in a cave. Absolutely no story stuff past the tutorial.

- Tutorial is kinda busted. You get a friendly dude to follow around for a bit, and you can just wail on him with your sword or magic or fists and he'll never become aggressive or die. So this could be a reaaally cheap way to "legitimately" boost stats. At that point you could probably just cheat, but whatever.

- Animations are wonky as shit for the tutorial dragon. Scripted sequences, hoo!

- You go from rags to leather to iron really fast. Like, within 20 minutes I'd already progressed three notches in the item progression. Kinda weird they'd give you that stuff so quickly.

- Lockpicking minigame isn't offensive. I don't remember what other game did this exact minigame. Fallout? It must have been fallout. It's exactly that.

- Combat is still TES dumb, but it manages to feel kind of meaty and rewarding even though you're not really giving much input for what's happening.

- PC menus are fucking terrible. Cursor moves so slow. Mouse acceleration.

- If you change the FOV button from F to anything else, you can not "Favourite" items.

- The "Favourite" system, which is a way to replace hotbar 1-0 item swapping, is fucking garbage and should never have seen the light of day on PC. Get that fucking shit out of here.

- The stats menu is terrible. I want to see all my stats at a glance, not have this shitty planetarium big ass, slow moving rotational menu to see stuff.

- Dual weilding feels a bit unwieldy. I'd rather rock a massive battleaxe than two small ones.

- The level scaling stuff is decent. I walked off to an area I had no business being in, managed to fight my way through a buncha vampires, eventually hit a Vampire Master who I absolutely could not kill, and had to retreat.

- Had no idea I had contracted a disease until I started actually being hurt by it. It doesn't really make that clear. For anyone's information, you can find status effects in the "Magic" menu.

- FOV 90 should be the default for this game. 70 degrees on a 1080p monitor? Get the fuck out. Have not worked out if you can set it as a launch / permanent option yet.

- Dual magic spells are cool. I don't really have enough magicka to do much with it, but you sure can toast some spiders. I also set a fox on fire. I found that amusing.

- Voice acting is fine. Graphics look surprisingly good. Doesn't have the texture quality of oblivion with mods, but still looks nice. Especially snow on rocks. The mod community will do a hell of a job there, I hope.

- Mod community need to fix the menus ASAP. Fuck that shit. Is there a mod thing for this out yet? God damn it.

- Rain saturation effects look cool.

- Map is stupid and can't zoom out far enough, and does this otherwise cool but completely useless 3D display thing.

Um, that's all I can think of. I like it. It's still janky. I have a bee in my inventory. Yeah, a bee. I dropped it, and it fell to the ground and physic rolled all the way down a hill. Physics are dumb and bad but kinda funny, especially when shit breaks and something flies up into the air. Death ragdolls for your own character can spaz out real bad.

Oh, and picking up bodies is weirdly... not very physical. Unlike Oblivion where it was like picking up a metric fucktonne of bricks, here it's like picking up a stiff pillow. Throwing corpses around is fun.

Will put a lot of hours into this game. A lot.

ElyrionX

Ok, the store page didn't state anything when I visited it just now. But now, it says unlocked in 23 hours. The release date is 12 November 2011.

What. The. Fuck.

Fuck this. I'm going to try my best to avoid Steam from now. Useless piece of shit.

JWong

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Can you do the VPN unlock like for Battlefield3? Should be out for some countries?

Bliany

thefil said:
You will definitely be able to play. No issue. My girlfriend has your computer and plays all sorts of modern games on high settings and whatever.

Ahhh now I can rest/wait easy. Thank you. I suppose I was worried because the Battlefield 3 beta was just about unplayable on Caspian. You think that was just because it was the Beta and the retail would run fine?

GreekWolf

sillymonkey321 said:
What patch is this?
Nick (the Bethesda community manager) mentioned in the OT that a patch will be going live tomorrow, in time for the launch.

I'm guessing a number of issues will be addressed.

Lakitu

st5fu
Shit, this thread has moved so fast. Trying to keep my mind off of the game, so I don't feel anymore impatient than I need to be.

What's Skyrim again?

Kritz said:
Um, that's all I can think of. I like it. It's still janky. I have a bee in my inventory. Yeah, a bee. I dropped it, and it fell to the ground and physic rolled all the way down a hill. Physics are dumb and bad but kinda funny, especially when shit breaks and something flies up into the air. Death ragdolls for your own character can spaz out real bad.

Oh noes! Game ruined.

ElyrionX

My country (Singapore) is only two goddamn hours behind Australia. Why is it unlocked for Australia but we got to wait another day? What the fuck?

JerkShep

Phonomezer said:
No freezes, no getting trapped in geometry (hello BF3), nothing gamebreaking... not sure if it was a glitch, but a giant hit me on the head with his hammer and I just flew up and the air and I didn't stop until I died and the game reloaded, haha.

There was also one bug where an NPC was teleporting around the room and talking to me during a main quest cutscene :lol

Other than that, it's quite polished for day 1 Bethesda. There are the usual shitty animations, someone walking into a wall, someone talking to you while they're walking away, etc, but it's passible in a game this big (and the game is biiiiiig), imo.

Sounds good, thanks. Fortunately, I have a Deus Ex HR to finish tonight, the wait won't be unbearable

Unity2012

GreekWolf said:

I agree.

I am surprised that ONE comparison video comes out and it is like we all forgot everything we've seen before; that video does not make an accurate representation for the X360 at all.

Go look at some Live Streams or uploaded videos around the net; new ones. I don't think either version will be so far apart to be called "Superior" as we love to do in gaming; but this ONE comparison is almost ridiculous when it comes to the differences between the two versions.

They either had the worst bug moment or did not clean their cache before capturing the feed.

george_us

The PS3 has higher res textures than the 360 version? The world is turning into a strange place.

Edit: Ahhhh it's a glitch but I might as well go with the PS3 version since my 360 isn't hooked up to the internet.

thefil

Bliany said:
Ahhh now I can rest/wait easy. Thank you. I suppose I was worried because the Battlefield 3 beta was just about unplayable on Caspian. You think that was just because it was the Beta and the retail would run fine?

Wait, is 330M one of the 13" ones? I assumed with a quad core it would be a 15".

Anyways, my girlfriend has a 15" from early 2011 which will run anything.

I have a 13" from 2010 which will run Oblivion and in all likelihood Skyrim.

One of the nice things about lead console SKU games is that they run at some setting on almost anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom