• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGMPR

Banned
BAE0F34193D5E28FF5B986DF0A15FD75B879FA11

Ouch

Derrick01

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Ok, the store page didn't state anything when I visited it just now. But now, it says unlocked in 23 hours. The release date is 12 November 2011.

What. The. Fuck.

Fuck this. I'm going to try my best to avoid Steam from now. Useless piece of shit.

Isn't it publishers who decide the unlock times? Don't be so quick to take frustration out on Steam.

Keasar

Just set up a throwaway account on VPN, trying to connect to any of the Skyrim servers but I just get disconnected from VPNSecure.me. :(

supersaw

Fuck me those menus are fucking shit on PC, if there was at least one token gesture I hoped for it was at least menu scaling.

This shit is monstrous at 2560 x 1440 it's still the ratio it would be at 720p

TheExodu5

Banned
Who voices General Tolius (sp?). He sounds really familiar.

Kind of sounds like this guy, actually:

Stellan-Skarsgard-Good-Will-Hunting.6.jpg

Maybe it's just the Swedish accent.

Derrick01

Banned
GasProblem said:
Hmm, maybe I should play the game with a 360 controller until there are mods that fix the menus. Well, I'll find out in ~7 hours.

The thought of putting over a hundred hours into a game with a mouse and keyboard hurts my hands and wrists just thinking about it. Besides it's a console game anyway, might as well play it like one ;)

ElyrionX

Derrick01 said:
Isn't it publishers who decide the unlock times? Don't be so quick to take frustration out on Steam.

Fair enough. But if it wasn't for Steamworks, then I'd be able to install and play it right?

Let's put it this way. The game releases officially today (11/11/11) in my country and 10 to 12 hours from now, people will be walking into retail stores to pick up their PC copies. But what's the point? They can't play it until midnight.

Xbox and PS3 people have no such problems.

Oh so there is an actual texture glitch in the 360 version? I just thought some parts looked gross out of necessity! (also the cow at the farm that looks like a turd on legs).

ttocs

TheExodu5 said:
Who voices General Tolius (sp?). He sounds really familiar.

Kind of sounds like this guy, actually:

Stellan-Skarsgard-Good-Will-Hunting.6.jpg

Maybe it's just the Swedish accent.

Not sure who that is but on the Giant Bomb site everyone is clamoring over Michael Hogan's voice being in the game.

he was also the doc in New Vegas

onken

Mine just shipped, but I'm not sure where from. If it's within Japan then I'll have it tomorrow, otherwise early next week I guess. Arg the wait, the pain.

Midou

Derrick01 said:
The thought of putting over a hundred hours into a game with a mouse and keyboard hurts my hands and wrists just thinking about it. Besides it's a console game anyway, might as well play it like one ;)

I find this to be a weird concept, I've put thousands of hours into PC gaming and even upwards of 8-10 hours at once before, without any kind of wrist or hand pain.

Staab

Game is pretty baller !
Playing it on a X4 955 BE with 4Gb RAM and a 5770 on 720p almost everything maxed :
11tvio8.jpg

Dat ass

Einbroch

Banned
:lol at people complaining about the PC version being like consoles.

They stated from day one and clearly demonstrated in their demos that this game is a console-first, PC-second game. From the non-day-one mod support, to showing almost no PC footage to the 360 having DLC before anyone else, anyone who is surprised by this clearly hasn't been following the game.

You can be disappointed, but you should've been disappointed months ago.

Cptkrush

Any way to run the launcher after disconnecting from the VPN? I need to change my graphics settings because it's running atrociously on Ultra with Crossfired 6870s

TheExodu5

Banned
How the hell do you navigate the menus on PC? I have never been so confused by an interface in my life.

I'm in the equipment screen. How do I leave it?

edit: tab...apparently.

Sigh, I guess my 360 pre-order isn't getting shipped today for some reason. That's the last time I pre-order anything from cdon.se.

I'm very tempted to get the PC version in 6 hours and sell the 360 version whenever I get that...

RooMHM

TheExodu5 said:
How the hell do you navigate the menus on PC? I have never been so confused by an interface in my life.

I knew this "revolutionnary" console inventory system was gonna be absolutely awful on PC :< Thought you could put back a regular one ... no?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
TheExodu5 said:

You press the red B button on the 360 controller and move the left thumbstick to navigate.

Staab

Playing with a 360 controller feels pretty much nice, force feedback is good too so yeah apart from maybe bow hunting, controller is superior for navigating and combat stuff.

Can't say the game looks maxed for a non-modded Bethesda game :
11jyn29.jpg

Erudite

If anyone has a VPNSecure account to pass on, I could use one please.

I think their automated e-mail service is getting hammered, so I've been waiting for a key for the last 20 minutes.

QuantumBro said:
After you activate the game using a vpn you can go to the skyrim folder and click TESV.exe and the game will boot so you can go back to your own internet. Just found that out.
Does it show up that you're playing on Steam friends if you do that? I.e does it log play time and such?

Kritz said:
- You go from rags to leather to iron really fast. Like, within 20 minutes I'd already progressed three notches in the item progression. Kinda weird they'd give you that stuff so quickly.
That's not really item progression in TES games, I haven't played Skyrim yet but I assume it's the same as all the others in that regard.

"Rags" isn't an armor, it's just clothing, which is just for looks. Iron is not an upgrade from Leather - it's just a different armor type at the same tier. Iron has more armor value but weighs more and slows your character movement, Leather has medium armor values but weighs less. Depending on your character's skills, leather could be better than Iron. Both of them are lowest tier (well, next to something like "rusty") and they give you both sets so you have something to start with regardless of what class you are.

Xosen

Hi!

So I'm buying the spanish version of the game, but I really want to hear the english voice acting. ¿Is there any way to change the voice language in the game?¿Maybe overwriting some of the audio files?

Thanks!

supersaw

Cptkrush said:
Any way to run the launcher after disconnecting from the VPN? I need to change my graphics settings because it's running atrociously on Ultra with Crossfired 6870s

Use RadeonPro and force the Oblivion crossfire profile this made a world of difference on my 6990.

M.W.

george_us said:
The PS3 has higher res textures than the 360 version? The world is turning into a strange place.

Edit: Ahhhh it's a glitch but I might as well go with the PS3 version since my 360 isn't hooked up to the internet.
Is the PS3 version solid?

Valygar

Xosen said:
Hi!

So I'm buying the spanish version of the game, but I really want to hear the english voice acting. ¿Is there any way to change the voice language in the game?¿Maybe overwriting some of the audio files?

Thanks!

Yes, you just have to select the game with secondary click, properties and then choose the english voice. At least with Left4Dead and some other games it was that way.

You will be able to do something like that for sure, but I don't know if you will be able to keep spanish texts at the same time (probably yes).

I have my steam in english as default even if I'm spanish so I don't have to worry about this :p

PD: I've checked Fallout New Vegas, and if they do the same you can only select the language, not the voice/subtitles language separately :( .

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Any word on a midnight launch for Best Buy. Watching the Kasavin stream and I'm convinced I need to snag my copy at midnight.

woober

Einbroch said:
:lol at people complaining about the PC version being like consoles.

They stated from day one and clearly demonstrated in their demos that this game is a console-first, PC-second game. From the non-day-one mod support, to showing almost no PC footage to the 360 having DLC before anyone else, anyone who is surprised by this clearly hasn't been following the game.

You can be disappointed, but you should've been disappointed months ago.

People buying the PC version of Skyrim are looking at the game in the long run. With mods, the PC will be the version to get and most of the complaints for the PC version will be fixed. Complaints just need to be voiced so modders know what the community wants :).

I'm sure people know what to expect from a vanilla Bethesda game.

On the Gamespot stream the guy has fought at least 3 dragons since I started watching an hour or two ago. Are they really that common? I thought it was going to be kind of a rare event.

Zeliard

VPN bypass working effectively for people? Quite tempted to try it when I get home from work. I really don't want to wait till midnight. :p

Cptkrush

TheNiX said:
Doesn't Crossfire/SLI cause issues?
Yep, i was thinking disabling one would require a graphic setting downgrade, but apparently not, single 6870 can handle this game pretty well on ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom