• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epyon MX said:
I'm running a PC with XP SP4. Would it be worth it to upgrade to Windows 7? Would there be a performance gain?
Slightly perhaps. I thought I read that, while they didn't implement DX10 or 11 they do take advantage a little bit to speed things up if it's available.

If you have the option to upgrade to Windows 7 from XP though you REALLY REALLY should, even despite any performance related concerns. It's a huge upgrade, I don't even think anyone would deny that unlike what some people would say about Vista.

legbone

NIN90 said:
Safest way would be to send the extra copy back to Amazon since they have awesome customer service.

i thought of that also. does anyone know if the premium map that comes with preorders is in the box or separate?

PONGSTAR

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Xbox fo sure
Well, it is the only one that is Skyrim through and through.

6086335934_bdd69e4d46_z.jpeg

Realyn

herzogzwei1989 said:
what are your pc specs?
Mine are Intel Core i7 @ 2.93 GHz, 8 MB RAM, GeForce GTX 460 1 GB.
I fell ya pain.

I got a 6600 € 3 GHz, 4 GB shitty RAM and a GTX 460 1 GB and it runs just fine with 50-60 fps on 1080p, 4 AA, 16 AF, everything on ultra/on

Aesius

Just got my free Steam code from Bethesda Insiders. Preloading now. Highly doubt I'm going to get any sleep tonight...

Kuraudo

Banned
Really dumb question for PS3 version: how do I name my character? Finished crafting the guy and I can't seem to navigate to his name field at all to change it. Pressed every button I can think of but only thing that does anything is square which seems to suggest it'll exit character creation.

Pollux

Houston3000 said:
I can't be the only one who really didn't hate Oblivion's melee combat too much. Besides my main Bow/Dagger Dunmer my most played character was a 1h/Shield Orc warrior with Heavy Armor and high skills in Alteration and Destruction (lots of Touch spells). I remember having quite a bit of fun timing my blocks, doing back-attacks to knock-down my opponents, going for the sideways disarm, charge power attacks, etc. There was a lot of animations and sound effects to, staggering especially. The most annoying aspect of melee combat IMO was simply how often you got got knocked down while engaging 2h fighters.

I mean, there was definitely a lot of room for improvement (Deadly Reflexes mod says hello), would be nice to see more of a visceral reaction when you connected to your opponent for example... but it was never an aspect of the game that I saw as a negative. Something like Demons Souls gives far too much priority on long animations for it to work in a TES game.
I actually liked Oblivion's melee combat. I liked that each time you swing you hit something, although if you have a crappy skill level it just does little to no damage. I like actually hitting something, vs. in Morrowind where you swing for 10 min. trying to hit a rat.

I liked everything about Morrowind over Oblivion except that.

Dina

Quick question. What determines stamina and arrow damage? I'm going for a nimble thief/elf archer build, but still wearing heavy armor. Do I need to wear leather for my arrows to do more damage, or can I keep wearing heavy armor?

MEATER

EviLore said:
What "tolkien-esque dungeons and dragons style rpgs" are you specifically comparing it to?

Exactly the point! I got hyped about it because it seemed that it might (finally!) be THE tolkien-eseque dungeons and dragons style rpg that the dice rolling teenager in me has been longing for in the last decade!

I actually never really dug the setting of either Morrowind or Oblivion and though I played Daggerfall and Arena when they came out they felt very generic compared to Ultima Underworld.

And while you have to bring some healthy suspension to disbelieve to the table (or screen...) it is exactly what I was hoping for (at least so far, still only ten hours in and can't play all weekend...).

Enough reason for a little hype I think...

Lakitu

st5fu
Right, enough of Battlefield 3. Time to read some reviews I think to tide me over until tomorrow. I'll avoid the 1up one since that apparently spoils the ending.

tch

Ok. So they took out the jumping skill right? That seems like it would suck because leveling up your jump and agility and then climbing/jumping up to the highest point of ruins or the churches was my pastime in Oblivion. Anyone with the game have any assurances for me?

spekkeh

Banned
Busy with the Morthal quest, it's great and funny at the same time. Makes me think back of the Dungeons and Dragons time of my embarassingly nerdy teenage years.

Lakitu

st5fu
So... for those who are playing it, how are the diversity of the quests? Are there some really out there ones like Oblivion's painting world or the one where you enter someone's dream?

stufte

For anyone who has played the game or could check the manual: is there a yield ability? In Oblivion, if you accidentally hit an npc and aggro'd them, you could yield and most times they'd stop attacking. Is this possible in Skyrim?

spekkeh

Banned
Projectjustice said:
Skyrim, Xbox or PC?

There's hardly any difference, so just go with what you're most comfortable with. If you like to dabble with mods once you've finished the game, go with PC obviously. If you want DLC the fastest, xbox.

Realyn

stutte said:
For anyone who has played the game or could check the manual: is there a yield ability? In Oblivion, if you accidentally hit an npc and aggro'd them, you could yield and most times they'd stop attacking. Is this possible in Skyrim?
Loading screen says you can yield to guards. Don´t know about NPC´s

spk

TheExodu5 said:
On the PC, I've noticed that the speed of the Y axis is dependent on your framerate.

Around 60fps, X/Y axis are equal.
Around 30fps, X axis is twice as fast as Y axis.
Around 120fps, Y axis is twice as fast as X axis.

(approximately)

The controls on the PC are an absolute mess.
Does this change with different maximum pre rendered frames numbers?

zethren

Banned
Enco said:
:lol

Funny but a shame the AI is dumb as fuck/wooden as usual.

I don't know how many games out there that would have AI smart enough to recognize that you just put a basket on their head. :/

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Projectjustice said:
Skyrim, Xbox or PC?

Is your PC pretty decent? Probably want to get it on PC.

Do you want to play it on a big TV with an Xbox 360 controller? Get it on PC assuming your setup supports this.

Do you want to play it with a mouse and keyboard on a smaller monitor? Get it on PC.

So... get it on PC unless you absolutely must have Xbox achievements.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
spekkeh said:
There's hardly any difference, so just go with what you're most comfortable with. If you like to dabble with mods once you've finished the game, go with PC obviously. If you want DLC the fastest, xbox.
What are you talking about

If you have a strong PC, it'll look WAY better than the Xbox version.

Zefah said:
Is your PC pretty decent? Probably want to get it on PC.

Do you want to play it on a big TV with an Xbox 360 controller? Get it on PC assuming your setup supports this.

Do you want to play it with a mouse and keyboard on a smaller monitor? Get it on PC.

So... get it on PC unless you absolutely must have Xbox achievements.

I think im gonna go on Xbox cause of my 50 inch HDTV Plasma. Thanks for the help guys.

Enco

zethren said:
I don't know how many games out there that would have AI smart enough to recognize that you just put a basket on their head. :/
Not just that. They sit there frozen and stand like wooden planks.

Not an issue though. This is Skyrim. If I loved Oblivion I'm gonna love this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Projectjustice said:
I think im gonna go on Xbox cause of my 50 inch HDTV Plasma. Thanks for the help guys.

I'd understand that if it's terribly inconvenient for you to hook up your PC to your TV. My setup allows me to switch between my TV or desktop monitor whenever I want, so I always go for the PC version. Playing games on a 47" TV at actual 1920x1080 resolution instead of sub-720p? Awesome!

GAF, rate my character before I grab the game tonight. I need to be able to commit to one character or I'll spend all night in char gen.

Name: Black-Tooth
Race: Argonian
Sex: Male

Build: As colossal as possible, thickly-muscled reptilian brute

Equipment: Single-handed blades in one hand, fiery Destruction magic in the other, heavy armor to exagerrate his size.

Fighting Style: Overwhelm the opponent with relentless attacks, wield fire and steel in concert as a single weapon, disregard personal safety for total battlefield control.

Affiliations: Argonian nationalist and mercenary, aiding Stormcloaks to work against the Imperials, will side with Companions if possible.

Just brainstorming.

Guys, can PC players 'move' items in the way that holding A on the 360 does? (EDIT: Thanks Wallach!)

Quick summary for anyone who gives a shit: I have played about 7 hours so far today and have basically done absolutely nothing. A tiny bit of the main quest (got to the point where a certain unlock occurs) and have spent the rest of the time taking in the scenery. And by scenery, I mean probably 5% of the total map. A couple of dungeons have been ransacked, a couple of side quests completed, a couple of hired thugs dispatched after an innkeeper hired them to beat me up for stealing his property, etc. I'm now heading off in pursuit of a lead I overheard regarding the Dark Brotherhood.

What. A. Fucking. Game.

Realyn said:
I fell ya pain.

I got a 6600 € 3 GHz, 4 GB shitty RAM and a GTX 460 1 GB and it runs just fine with 50-60 fps on 1080p, 4 AA, 16 AF, everything on ultra/on

Yeah, Im not exactly highend, but sounds like enough.

Dommel

Kuraudo said:
Really dumb question for PS3 version: how do I name my character? Finished crafting the guy and I can't seem to navigate to his name field at all to change it. Pressed every button I can think of but only thing that does anything is square which seems to suggest it'll exit character creation.

IIRC you do that before you start creating your character? Text input box pops up and you can change the default 'Prisoner' name.

Why is this not unlocking, it's 0:13 here in Belgium?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Bought and pre-loading PC version? CHECK!
Pre-ordered PS3 Skyrim Collectors Edition? Check!
Xbox 360 wired controller for PC? Going out to buy that right now, so CHECK!
Most expensive single day purchase for one game ($60PC+$150PS3+$50X360 pad)? CHECK!
Worth it? FUCK YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom