• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
FINALBOSS said:
It still looks like you're swinging at air though and not cutting flesh.
Does indeed still look like that. Dark Souls is the template in this regard as far as I'm concerned. The look of each impact (or rebound of metal on metal or metal on stone) is unparalleled.

That said, the feedback you get, the "feel" of the impact, even if it isn't represented on screen, seems much improved from my experience with Oblivion.

Realyn

The perfect Dark said:
Game of the forever confirmed

10 Hours in
Level 9
15 Quests open
2 big cities discovered...
Discovered around 5% of the map I guess
I´m 5 hours in, first big city and lvl 13 and kinda pissed about it ... even tho its my own fault.

I wanted to lvl up my blacksmith skill, so after clearing the first 2 dungeons I bought a bunch of iron and leather, made like 60 iron dagger(2 give 1 smithing level - everytime!) and yeah ... and my lvl went skyrocketing to the roof ... sucks

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Wallach I'm cheating on you :(

Going ahead with the VPN. Outside of Dark Souls, it's been a while since I've looked forward to a game like this.

Well, gentlemen, when the shit hits the fan, some guys run and some guys stay.

The environments in the GS and IGN video reviews look so good, especially any environment involving snow. Combat does look bad though, I'll be sticking to magic.

I really hope this comes tomorrow, Amazon is still saying shipping soon.

Farooq

Banned
I know it has been asked, but I didn't find a clear answer.

Armor and how it effects magic. Any confirmation if it does or doesn't?

derFeef

Aiming to play a Rogue. Will I have a hard time again? I ended up playing Oblivion as different class because I died sooo often.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Realyn said:
I´m 5 hours in, first big city and lvl 13 and kinda pissed about it ... even tho its my own fault.

I wanted to lvl up my blacksmith skill, so after clearing the first 2 dungeons I bought a bunch of iron and leather, made like 60 iron dagger(2 give 1 smithing level - everytime!) and yeah ... and my lvl went skyrocketing to the roof ... sucks

Make 60 Iron Daggers > Get damn good at Blacksmithing

Sounds right to me!

It does get progressively harder to level though right? Is that a trick you could use forever?

Fjordson said:
I think it's great. The way you move from place to place, quest to quest, feels so much more natural than Oblivion. Oblivion seemed like it was pushing you to fast travel because of how everything was laid out. This is much better in that regard. Exploration feels more rewarding because the world feels more dense.

Denser world is definitely a good thing. But how about the combat?

I never found the exploration or travelling Oblivion/Fallout to be a big problem, that was the best part of those games. My main beef was with the combat gameplay which kind of broke/ruined the whole experience for me tbh.

ACE 1991 said:
Y'all don't have better things to do with your Friday nights?
QGHWi.jpg

Realyn

No and that was my problem. Every 2 dagger give you 1 level. It´s not scaling, atleast not till 40 or so. I was just hitting e all the time without really watching, thought it would progress with time.

Oh and about difficulty, my gf was playing on normal on the Xbox and it was just fine for her, I played master on the PC and it felt really good. The first spider and the skeleton bosses were quite naughty.

Edit: about the dagger thing, maybe someone else can try it with his savegame. I´m not near a city right now.

Hawkian said:
Does indeed still look like that. Dark Souls is the template in this regard as far as I'm concerned. The look of each impact (or rebound of metal on metal or metal on stone) is unparalleled.

That said, the feedback you get, the "feel" of the impact, even if it isn't represented on screen, seems much improved from my experience with Oblivion.
Agreeing. Skyrim is my most anticipated game ever, but Demon's/Dark Souls is the undisputed king of melee combat sims. Utterly unparalleled.

IoCaster

Wallach said:
To be really specific, if I highlighted a menu element with W/S, then left-clicked while the cursor was off elsewhere on the screen, would it activate the menu item or do I have to actually use the cursor to activate something with a mouse click?

Also, what I've heard is that a hotkeyed item has specific hands it will default to based on whether it is an item or a spell (spells left hand, weapons right hand). Is that right, eg. spell hotkeys 1 -> 1 -> 2 would give me spell 1 on right hand and spell 2 on left hand?

You have to actually place the cursor on the highlighted item to select it with a mouse click. I'll have to defer on the hotkeys stuff since I've not been able to get my keyboard remapped to my satisfaction and haven't even gotten the hotkeys to work yet. :/

I have posted this a before but no one responded, I can't be the only one thinking the controls aren't right. Any help?

"The only issue I have is the weapon/magic selection. Instead of Oblivions 8 way d-pad shortcuts, you have to add weapons/magic to the 'favourites' menu which you access by pressing up on the d-pad. You then have to cycle through these favourites and select it, it takes 2-3 seconds just to change weapons...Am I missing something here, it couldn't be that convoluted right?"

Gvaz

Banned
Is the community manager around? Can you let Beth know that PC gamers are unhappy with the design of the UI?

This needs a whole fucking overhaul, jesus fucking christ I don't think I've been more upset about a video game in my life. Using the keyboard and mouse with this game is like pulling teeth.

Tambini

What race would you guys reccomend for someone who wants to fire at enemies with a bow from afar, then destroy them with one handed sword when they get too close?

Khajit looks to be most like this, but I don't think I can play as a cat :p

Woorloog

Banned
Sutton Dagger said:
I have posted this a before but no one responded, I can't be the only one thinking the controls aren't right. Any help?

"The only issue I have is the weapon/magic selection. Instead of Oblivions 8 way d-pad shortcuts, you have to add weapons/magic to the 'favourites' menu which you access by pressing up on the d-pad. You then have to cycle through these favourites and select it, it takes 2-3 seconds just to change weapons...Am I missing something here, it couldn't be that convoluted right?"
Works just like that. Not an issue for me but i take care to to limit the amount of items and spells in it.

Tambini said:
What race would you guys reccomend for someone who wants to fire at enemies with a bow from afar, then destroy them with one handed sword when they get too close?

Any. If anything, look at the abilities like Orc's ridiculous Berserker Rage (you deal 2x damage and take half damage for 60sec). Pick the race whose looks you like most. The racial skill bonuses matter only at start, not when you've played many hours.

rexor0717

I had successfully kept my excitement for this game to a minimum since its announcement. But today, its spilling all over the place.

daebo

7 Hours or so to unlock. Probably should take a break from gaming and go take a nap so I can do my marathon run... Already tired. I don't want to crash around 3 am... Fuck this wait.

Zzoram

Deified Data said:
Agreeing. Skyrim is my most anticipated game ever, but Demon's/Dark Souls is the undisputed king of melee combat sims. Utterly unparalleled.

What's annoying is that the gaming media focus entirely on Demon's/Dark Souls being hard games, but ignore the fact that it has the best melee combat of any action RPG and that's more of why people can't stop playing them.

Bethesda games' weakest thing has always been melee combat and loading screens. Dark Souls has a seemless world without loading except when you die, and amazingly deep melee combat.

I really hope Bethesda takes cues from Dark Souls melee for their next game. Wouldn't it be great if in Elder Scrolls VI you had parry and riposte, back stab, and a unique move set for every type of weapon in the game?

Simo

Holy hell this thread moved fast since 8am this morning....

....7 hours to go and I'm greeted with the sight of snow flurries outside right now:
photo-12.JPG

Zeliard

Zzoram said:
What's annoying is that the gaming media focus entirely on Demon's/Dark Souls being hard games, but ignore the fact that it has the best melee combat of any action RPG and that's more of why people can't stop playing them.

Bethesda games' weakest thing has always been melee combat and loading screens. Dark Souls has a seemless world without loading except when you die, and amazingly deep melee combat.

I really hope Bethesda takes cues from Dark Souls melee for their next game. Wouldn't it be great if in Elder Scrolls VI you had parry and riposte, back stab, and a unique move set for every type of weapon in the game?

There's a cute shout-out to Dark Souls with the perks in Skyrim. I think the guys at Beth are fans. They should try to take some influence. :p

Enco

froliq said:
Mmm 2 more hours untill unlock, but I'm already dead tired and need sleep. What to do
Go to sleep and play tomorrow.

Time will fly by and you'll get to fully focus on the awesome.

:lol at 1UP

HNNNNNNNG I have to work early tomorrow be on-call tomorrow night and work Saturday and Sunday. O-o I must get some sleep after owrk today or I'm going to be a wreck most of the weekend.

Rapstah

I've played around five hours of the PC version. Performance is vastly different between indoor and outdoor areas. I'm getting half the FPS outside I can get inside. The UI is bad and will close without warning you if you click a cathegory you don't have any item of while selling items. You can sell items you are wearing by accident without there being any kind of confirmation box.

It's very fun though. Some parts of the combat system remind me of Fallout 3, like the random overkill finish-him-off animations. That's actually good. There are the usual Bethesda bugs everywhere, and I've had it happen twice that I'll open the door into a street somewhere and for the first second one or two NPCs will warp by, apparently walking at a hundred times where normal walking speeds for a short moment.

All small issues though, it's more fun than the bugs make it not fun. Indoors it can also look great graphically.

Guys I'm getting anxious...Amazon delivery still says "Shipping Soon"...too late to assure order cancellation...have I made a huge mistake?

Zeliard said:
There's a cute shout-out to Dark Souls with the perks in Skyrim. I think the guys at Beth are fans. They should try to take some influence. :p

While I myself would prefer more action oriented combat, I don't think it is the right direction to go with the ES series. I think it might alienate some of their fans that have been with them from the beginning.

Realyn

Tambini said:

My little sniping, dual wielding Elv who still likes some magic.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/34624861.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/76166980.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/256/64575003.jpg/

Reminds me somewhat of DAoC .. good times. Just say if you want more.

Derrick01

Banned
hyduK said:
Watching the GB stream, environments look a lot more varied than in Oblivion.

I noticed that in the last official video that came out yesterday or the day before, the world video. Everything looked a lot more varied and beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom