• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

moojito

Simo said:
Holy hell this thread moved fast since 8am this morning....

....7 hours to go and I'm greeted with the sight of snow flurries outside right now:
photo-12.JPG

What the hell, do people sometimes accidentally show up to your back garden for a round of golf?

Einbroch

Banned
CrocMother said:
Guys I'm getting anxious...Amazon delivery still says "Shipping Soon"...too late to assure order cancellation...have I made a huge mistake?
Buy copy from a retail store.
Play it.
Get Amazon copy.
Return Amazon copy to the retail store.

Blam.

Gregorn

I Big JG I said:
noob question...Can an archer use a sword as well?

Yeah, but you can't equip both a bow and a sword at the same time, if that's what you mean.

This game is so cool, I haven't been following it at all but bought it because my sister wanted to play it. I keep finding out new things I didn't know I could do, like I had no idea this had an upgrade system. When I found out hunting wolfs actually had a purpose the world felt so much bigger.

Enco

I Big JG I said:
noob question...Can an archer use a sword as well?
There are no pre defined classes.

Just do what you want and you'll level up that skill. Some races have a better archery skill but everyone can do everything.

Is there an equivalent to the fighting arena in Oblivion? Best thing about the game.

Fjordson

LowEndTorque said:
Denser world is definitely a good thing. But how about the combat?

I never found the exploration or travelling Oblivion/Fallout to be a big problem, that was the best part of those games. My main beef was with the combat gameplay which kind of broke/ruined the whole experience for me tbh.
Melee combat is better, but it's still similar to Oblivion. No two ways about it. Some hits feel like they're hitting air due to the lack of reaction from enemies.

Combat as a whole, is way better, in my opinion. Mixing and matching things with your left and right hand varies things up quite nicely. Magic is a lot better, archery, etc. Throw Dragon Shouts into the mix, and it's a lot more fun than Oblivion.

Einbroch said:
Buy copy from a retail store.
Play it.
Get Amazon copy.
Return Amazon copy to the retail store.

Blam.

This is tempting, do you know what Gamestop takes for unopened games? If the $10 Amazon gift card offsets it this is what I will do.

moojito

Anyone had a chance to try out both keyboard & mouse and 360 pad? I've not seen anyone with access to both state a preference.

Also, how is playing a caster at low level? Any problems with mana regen or the like, anyone?

Spiffy_1st said:
Yeah, but you can't equip both a bow and a sword at the same time, if that's what you mean.

This game is so cool, I haven't been following it at all but bought it because my sister wanted to play it. I keep finding out new things I didn't know I could do, like I had no idea this had an upgrade system. When I found out hunting wolfs actually had a purpose the world felt so much bigger.

I agree i'm so green with this type of game but so pumped to find out what can be done...my problem will be I will go GTA style and try to cause as much havoc as possible...fun stuff

PONGSTAR

Banned
CrocMother said:
Guys I'm getting anxious...Amazon delivery still says "Shipping Soon"...too late to assure order cancellation...have I made a huge mistake?
My amazon order changed from shipping soon to shipped about an hour ago.

I was planning on buying my copy locally if it doesn't show up tomorrow and just sending the amazon copy back. I wouldn't cancel if I were you.

The Chef

Simo said:
Holy hell this thread moved fast since 8am this morning....

....7 hours to go and I'm greeted with the sight of snow flurries outside right now:

There is no better time to start a game than when its snowing out.

Gvaz

Banned
This UI has just about killed any interest I might have had in the game. There could be this great adventure past this shitty tutorial but knowing I'll have to interact with this fucking obtuse ui for 50 hours kills any interest I could possibly get out of this. Holy fuck.

No I wont use a controller, you fix the UI, I don't want to play with a controller, and it doesn't fix the complaints about the UI either.

Rapstah

moojito said:
Also, how is playing a caster at low level? Any problems with mana regen or the like, anyone?
Absolutely no mana problems, even before the perk that halves the mana cost of beginner level spells in your wanted school, for me. Not sure if it changes with difficulty? I was on Adept, the default.

EDIT: That is, I can keep firing only the spell until one enemy dies without running out of mana on my mainly melee main character. If I then take the time to kill another in the same battle with my axe, I might have enough mana afterwards to kill another with magic. If they're combined, I never run out of mana. Not sure how both-hands magic would change this.

Simo

moojito said:
What the hell, do people sometimes accidentally show up to your back garden for a round of golf?

Nah, I live in a condo and I'm on the upper floor. The stuff out there are BBQ pits and a drainage cover. lol

I'm in southeast Michigan and I don't think we were expecting any snow for a while yet..

NIN90

When I got out of the tutorial section I just went the total opposite way of where I'm supposed to go. I met some lady who trained me in bow combat and then later i got whacked by a vampire. :(
I LOVE IT

Gvaz said:
This UI has just about killed any interest I might have had in the game. There could be this great adventure past this shitty tutorial but knowing I'll have to interact with this fucking obtuse ui for 50 hours kills any interest I could possibly get out of this. Holy fuck.

No I wont use a controller, you fix the UI.

It's actually not that bad when you use TAB and then scrollwheel+mouse or WSAD+E or a combination of both.

somesang

Initial PC impressions:

Specs:
i5 750 @ 3.6
4GB RAM
5930 Crossfire forced with RadeonPro
16xAF 2xAA
1920x1080

Performance
Running very nicely. Clicked on Ultra settings and brought down some sliders.
Intro was smooth 60, but FPS dropped to the 40s as soon as you gain control, then after initial tutorial BS, it stayed around 55-60.

How much fun it is
Shit's fun, man. Playing in 3rd person mainly. I can't imagine any fan of Oblivion not enjoying themselves with this. I'm upset that you can't reroll after creating your character. There's no "Hey you're about to get into the world, you ready for this shit?" prompt. Favourites is a favourites option not a hotbar. Meaning pick a favourite spell and a favourite weapon and some potions and it works great. Add everything and then it becomes a hassle. I'd say 10 things tops and you're gold.
Sneaking is better. The Eye indicator thing is great. It opens and shuts depending on visibility/awareness. Dialogue is ridiculous and broken up, much like other games in the series, doesn't bother me, however. So far, so good. If anyone gets let down, I think expectations were set too high. My expectations were pretty up there and I'm having a blast so far. Peace geeks.

Gvaz said:

No I wont use a controller, you fix the UI.

Dude, stop crying about this. MODDERS WILL FIX IT IN LESS THAN A WEEK.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Timber said:
Anyone know what position the moons need to be in to craft lunar weapons?

wow, you have to have the moon in a certain position to craft certain things? This game has it all! lol

BFIB

Holy crap, D2D sucks. Wanted to buy 2 copies since I'd have the 15% discount.

First, I went to buy the game and had to have the stupid phone verification process. Then, I hit the buy button, and realized that it had my old CC on there, so it didn't take. I added my new CC, went to rebuy the game, and now its telling me I have exceeded my phone options. I then fill out the question survey on my issue, only to be told that the operators are busy and that I will be contacted via email at a later time.

Jesus. Never using this service again.

Timber

I just realized that you can consume ingredients to see what effect they add to potions. I kept randomly making useless shit.

Realyn

moojito said:
Anyone had a chance to try out both keyboard & mouse and 360 pad? I've not seen anyone with access to both state a preference.

I like keyboard more, but I switched keys. run to shift, sneak to alt, quest from l to g, quick inv from i to v.
PC interface is good. You go through the menus with w(up) s(down) a(left, back) d(right, forward) and e as enter. You have to get used to it, yes - but I like it really well.

Xbox is well ... the way you expect it. Nothing bad about it. But dont forget you got 12345678 as quickkeys for the PC, while you allways have to use dpad up on the xbox for your favorites.

Jin

Nvidia owners: a new beta driver has been released today. It adds SLI profile for Skyrim (and fixes BF3 performance).

moojito said:

I have both but prefer 360 controller, but I may be biased as I prefer 360 controller most of the time.

I'm using magic at the very start of the game and it's awesome, magic regens pretty quick.

TheExodu5

Banned
I noticed an issue using the 360 pad on PC.

Look straight up.

Time how long it takes to look straight down. Takes 4-5 seconds.
Time how long it takes to look straight up. Takes about half that time.

Why on Earth can I look down faster than I can look up?

Is this an issue on 360 as well?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm a little under 30 minutes from leaving work and not returning for over 2 weeks (Nov. 28th). I have nothing planned except for playing Skyrim and drinking beer. Life is good!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TheExodu5 said:

Look straight down.

Time how long it takes to look straight up. Takes 4-5 seconds.
Time how long it takes to look straight down. Takes about half that time.

Oh god, I had this issue with Just Cause 2. I can't remember how I fixed it. :'(

Gvaz

Banned
NIN90 said:
It's actually not that bad when you use TAB and then scrollwheel+mouse or WSAD+E or a combination of both.
The design is shitty and obtuse. It's terrible. Mouse controls of menus are a billion times better than having to use the keyboard.

- ESC should back out of the current open menu (to the previous one if there was one), period. End of story.
- To close a menu you have to press the hotkey. changing hotkeys fucks everything up.
- tab closes out of menus, or spamming left on the keyboard does as well
- Moving the mouse too much fucks up being able to select things in the character creation.
- "Hey you should really pick up that weapon. Hey. HEYHEYHEY" SHUT THE FUCK UP
- Huge star chart bullshit for stats and whatnot. lmao no. I want to see them all at a glance, get this glitzy shit out of here.

NIN90

TheExodu5 said:

Look straight down.

Time how long it takes to look straight up. Takes 4-5 seconds.
Time how long it takes to look straight down. Takes about half that time.

I feel like the whole Y axis (BOTH up and down) is MUCH faster than the X axis. It's so goddamn obnoxious.
Mouse on PC btw
EDIT: Woops swapped X with Y. It's like back in school all over again!!

TheExodu5

Banned
NIN90 said:
I feel like the whole X axis (BOTH up and down) is MUCH faster than the Y axis. It's so goddamn obnoxious.

On the PC, I've noticed that the speed of the Y axis is dependent on your framerate.

Around 60fps, X/Y axis are equal.
Around 30fps, X axis is twice as fast as Y axis.
Around 120fps, Y axis is twice as fast as X axis.

(approximately)

The controls on the PC are an absolute mess.

I can't be the only one who really didn't hate Oblivion's melee combat too much. Besides my main Bow/Dagger Dunmer my most played character was a 1h/Shield Orc warrior with Heavy Armor and high skills in Alteration and Destruction (lots of Touch spells). I remember having quite a bit of fun timing my blocks, doing back-attacks to knock-down my opponents, going for the sideways disarm, charge power attacks, etc. There was a lot of animations and sound effects to, staggering especially. The most annoying aspect of melee combat IMO was simply how often you got got knocked down while engaging 2h fighters.

I mean, there was definitely a lot of room for improvement (Deadly Reflexes mod says hello), would be nice to see more of a visceral reaction when you connected to your opponent for example... but it was never an aspect of the game that I saw as a negative. Something like Demons Souls gives far too much priority on long animations for it to work in a TES game.

Diseased Yak said:
I'm a little under 30 minutes from leaving work and not returning for over 2 weeks (Nov. 28th). I have nothing planned except for playing Skyrim and drinking beer. Life is good!

That'sll be me, tomorrow night.

Rapstah said:
I've played around five hours of the PC version. Performance is vastly different between indoor and outdoor areas. I'm getting half the FPS outside I can get inside. The UI is bad and will close without warning you if you click a cathegory you don't have any item of while selling items. You can sell items you are wearing by accident without there being any kind of confirmation box.

It's very fun though. Some parts of the combat system remind me of Fallout 3, like the random overkill finish-him-off animations. That's actually good. There are the usual Bethesda bugs everywhere, and I've had it happen twice that I'll open the door into a street somewhere and for the first second one or two NPCs will warp by, apparently walking at a hundred times where normal walking speeds for a short moment.

All small issues though, it's more fun than the bugs make it not fun. Indoors it can also look great graphically.

what are your pc specs?
Mine are Intel Core i7 @ 2.93 GHz, 8 MB RAM, GeForce GTX 460 1 GB.

legbone

i'm contemplating doing something shady but have no idea if it will work. i haven't tried this in 10 years but i know it used to work. i''m wondering if they have changed things. i'm thinking of picking this up at walmart at midnight if they have it out and then returning the sealed copy i have coming from amazon tomorrow. will this work or is there some type of scanning process that occurs that will fuck me when trying to return the sealed copy? anyone have any experience with this at walmart? i'm jonesing to play skyrim but ups won't get here until 5pm tomorrow and i don't have to work tomorrow due to veteran's day. would be perfect for tonight.

NIN90

legbone said:
i'm contemplating doing something shady but have no idea if it will work. i haven't tried this in 10 years but i know it used to work. i''m wondering if they have changed things. i'm thinking of picking this up at walmart at midnight if they have it out and then returning the sealed copy i have coming from amazon tomorrow. will this work or is there some type of scanning process that occurs that will fuck me when trying to return the sealed copy? anyone have any experience with this at walmart? i'm jonesing to play skyrim but ups won't get here until 5pm tomorrow and i don't have to work tomorrow due to veteran's day. would be perfect for tonight.

Safest way would be to send the extra copy back to Amazon since they have awesome customer service.

Trin3785 said:
wow, you have to have the moon in a certain position to craft certain things? This game has it all! lol

That's one of those little, tiny things that can make me buy a game.

I mean, I was buying anyway, but now I'm legitimately excited.

It's like, if they put shit like that in, it's safe to assume I'll be happy with the rest of what they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom