• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
spekkeh said:
Yeah.
I'll grant you the pc version does look marginally better. But nothing that will change your experience of the game.

If you're only exposure to the game is through 360p YouTube videos, you'd be correct.

Enco

Chocolate with soft mint center? Check.

Big bag of chicken flavored chips? Check.

Hot chocolate? Check.

Skyrim PC hard copy? Nope :(

Realyn

I can shoot some dungeons and keeps for you, someone knows a good freeware to change multiple bmp to jpg ? Paint takes so much time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm going to play as Nord named Orm Tosteson in honor of one of my favourite books, The Long Ships.

Heshinsi said:
Bought and pre-loading PC version? CHECK!
Pre-ordered PS3 Skyrim Collectors Edition? Check!
Xbox 360 wired controller for PC? Going out to buy that right now, so CHECK!
Most expensive single day purchase for one game ($60PC+$150PS3+$50X360 pad)? CHECK!
Worth it? FUCK YEAH!

congrats!

Esch

Banned
apparently the PC version has '360 controller' automatically ticked and that's making it shitty to use for most PC people, anyone try unticking it and playing around with the UI?

My copy isn't going to arrive until next week, so I'm going to have to live vicariously through the internet until then.
So like normal.

spekkeh

Banned
Hawkian said:
What are you talking about

If you have a strong PC, it'll look WAY better than the Xbox version.
I've learned long ago not to argue with the master race. Especially if they just spent tens of hours on geeking over a rig and spent all that money.

But the xbox was the lead platform, and judging from the screenshots the main difference lies in a slightly greater drawdistance and better AA.

zethren

Banned
Enco said:
Not just that. They sit there frozen and stand like wooden planks.

Not an issue though. This is Skyrim. If I loved Oblivion I'm gonna love this.

Yeah, though they have added little animations to them even when they are just standing there, it seems. They sway their bodies a bit, move their heads or lean on objects. That's progress, for an TES game, coming after Oblivion I'd say. lol

Loxley

Classes all finished for the week. Now to stare at my monitor and wait for Valve to flip the switch so I have an excuse to not leave my apartment all weekend :D

Man, I'm exhausted... You know those time travel games? As in, start playing at 8:00 when I got home last night, my GF and I both went to different ends of the house to start playing, and I decide to check the time because I am wrecked tired... 4:45am... What the F*ck.

That said, it is now 10:00 in the morning and I'm back at it, but I eyes are so tired they are barely working.

My first impression was that it wasn't an enormous step up graphically, but then when you see the environmental and particle effects combined with the lighting and shadows it's just brilliant. There have been a few sections, particularly in some of the caves that have blown me away to look at.

No glitches in over six hours, and I'm level 7.

Girlfriend is still only level 3 in the same amount of time because she has been farting around a lot more and hasn't done as much combat.

Picked up both 360 and PS3, and I will trade back the PS3 version at EB for full value towards AC: Revelations that I was going to pick up anyway. Only compared the opening 20 minutes or so, and there seemed to be very little difference. At a push I'd probably give 360 the slight edge based upon the opening section but it's nothing to be upset over. In the interest of full disclosure, I was leaning towards 360 anyway for controller preference.
I could post comparison pics at some stage today, but they will be shitty iPhone pics so they'll probably be next to useless.

Does anyone know whether or not we can install on 360 yet? Has the texture thing been addressed? The loading isn't too bad, but my preference would still be to install it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
spekkeh said:
I've learned long ago not to argue with the master race. Especially if they just spent tens of hours on geeking over a rig and spent all that money.

But the xbox was the lead platform, and judging from the screenshots the main difference lies in a slightly greater drawdistance and better AA.

And the resolution. Do you hate image quality so much? You're like at more than double the pixel density if you're playing at 1920x1080 or higher on the PC.

Fjordson

JordoftheDead said:
Does anyone know whether or not we can install on 360 yet? Has the texture thing been addressed? The loading isn't too bad, but my preference would still be to install it.
Bethesda is looking into it. There's definitely a texture issue, but according to them it isn't directly related to the HDD install.

Might not be uniform, though. Passing the six hour mark here with it installed, no problems yet.

bitoriginal

Lakitu said:
Has anybody playing on the 360 (installed or not) been experiencing this texture glitch?

I've been playing installed, and textures do seem a little poor but I can't tell if thats normal or not. Got a link to a video of this texture glitch?

TheExodu5

Banned
Just to illustrate what improvements you might see with the PC version, just take a look at the difference in between default, and with the "bTreesReceiveShadows=1" option on in the .ini file (for some reason, they don't let you turn it on in the options):

Default:
notree.png

yestree.png

Some things do look terrible, like the textures, but rest assured that with mods, the PC version will improve drastically over time. This is par for the course for Bethesda games.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
spekkeh said:

I thought it was common knowledge that the biggest difference by far between any game available on both will be resolution. The shots 3chopl0x posted are higher than 1080p...

edit: huh, classy shadows. Are there other options like that we should be enabling in the ini?

Wanace

Man, woke up this morning and played for one hour, made it to the first village, now I have to go to work :( At least I have a half day.

I killed a cow in town in the middle of the night, got a bounty, but the bounty was erased once the cow died because "all witnesses were killed." Awesome.

Then I promptly reanimated the cow with my raise zombie spell. Amazing!

Is there something I can do early on with dragon bones and scales? I killed a dragon and it's a bit annoying to have them in my inventory since they weigh a lot.

Midou

I like how people pretend they can see all the improvements in simple screenshots.

It looks pretty great on ultra settings, is it so much better that it destroys the console versions? Probably not, but the difference is obvious none the less.

Acheteedo

Been playing all evening on the 360 version. The graphics were pretty disappointing at first, but they soon become truly beautiful - the choice of scenery to kick the game off is an odd one.

Man, there's so much to like about this game, it's dripping with awesome. Very much looking forward to the weekend, I've barely scratched the atoms on the surface of this thing.

Lakitu

st5fu
bitoriginal said:
I've been playing installed, and textures do seem a little poor but I can't tell if thats normal or not. Got a link to a video of this texture glitch?

No, sorry. There were some pictures earlier in the thread though. I'll see if I can find a video. Usually the texture issue appears on your character's hands and weapons though. It'll appear as if it's not loading the textures.

spekkeh

Banned
Hawkian said:
I thought it was common knowledge that the biggest difference by far between any game available on both will be resolution. The shots 3chopl0x posted are higher than 1080p...

edit: huh, classy shadows. Are there other options like that we should be enabling in the ini?
That is common sense, but until now nobody had posted above 1080p, so I figured it was capped at that. Being able to play it at a higher res. does give an improvement in quality. Of course the person asking wanted to play it on his hdtv so for him it's not much of an issue.

bitoriginal

Lakitu said:
No, sorry. There were some pictures earlier in the thread though. I'll see if I can find a video. Usually the texture issue appears on your character's hands and weapons though. It'll appear as if it's not loading.

Definitely not experienced this judging by your comment, I have only played for 3 hours or so though. I've installed it and it appears to be fine so far. 360 slim here.

Shawsie64

Banned
Zefah said:
If you're only exposure to the game is through 360p YouTube videos, you'd be correct.

Id have to agree, looks pretty damn clean on my PC maxed at 1080P on 50inch Plasma.. Playing with 360 controller and its magical :)

Pollux

Deified Data said:
Well then I might just have to play as an Argonian when I do my stealth/assassin character.

Main is going to be a Nord as big as I can make him, named Beowulf, will use heavy armor with a shield and one handed weapon. He will be a pure melee character with the exception of restoration for health.

No long range and no magic.

Fuck yes. 5 hours till i'm playing this game. Can't wait.

Although depending on how awesome I can make my Argonian, then that might be my first character.

Decisions, decisions.

Yeah there's definitely some problems with texture loading on the 360, for the most part it's fine but sometimes I run into wall textures that looks like they're from a Nintendo 64 game.

The music in this game is fucking incredible.
Why isn't the OST available on ITunes?

faulty_fork said:
Yeah there's definitely some problems with texture loading on the 360, for the most part it's fine but sometimes I run into wall textures that looks like they're from a Nintendo 64 game.
Yup.

Gvaz

Banned
Steam doesn't give a shit. Don't worry about it.

Someone in my class said Beth games didn't need mods. I'm pretty sure he was trying to troll me. He does stuff like that a lot.

spekkeh

Banned
Acheteedo said:
Been playing all evening on the 360 version. The graphics were pretty disappointing at first, but they soon become truly beautiful - the choice of scenery to kick the game off is an odd one.

Man, there's so much to like about this game, it's dripping with awesome. Very much looking forward to the weekend, I've barely scratched the atoms on the surface of this thing.

Just then I was walking a bit after dusk through a forest and arrived at a lake, covered in a bed of mist (boy do I love that effect, it's very simple but absolutely nails the image of a lake in winter), then suddenly the aurora came up and illuminated a village at the other side of the lake.
That stuff was magical.

Has there been any official comparisons between the ps3 and 360 versions. I have both consoles, and I'm pretty equal in terms of both - I have no controller preference, and trophies and achievements are both valued the same in my eyes.

Any recommendations? Generally - I feel that past Bethesda games have an edge on the 360, but I've been really enjoying using my ps3 recently (upgraded to playstation plus). All my bethesda games + NV are on 360 - so it'd be great to keep the consistency going.

Gvaz said:
Steam doesn't give a shit. Don't worry about it.

Someone in my class said Beth games didn't need mods. I'm pretty sure he was trying to troll me. He does stuff like that a lot.
Do you believe they need mods to be enjoyable? That the inherent experience is sub-par? What about other games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom