• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

Piercedveil said:
Amazon y u no ship game yet?!?

Mine just shipped 5 minutes ago. I wouldn't worry, they usually don't ship for me until the night before, and I always get it around 11 am on release day.

Acheteedo said:
Been playing all evening on the 360 version. The graphics were pretty disappointing at first, but they soon become truly beautiful - the choice of scenery to kick the game off is an odd one.

Man, there's so much to like about this game, it's dripping with awesome. Very much looking forward to the weekend, I've barely scratched the atoms on the surface of this thing.
Exactly.

This is a game to get lost in. I started playing this morning with only one thing on my mind: continuing the main quest. I ran into so much different things while on my way there, however, that it was nearly 6PM until I actually
reached High Hrothgar

I'm currently doing a quest for
Clavicus Vile
The Daedric quests are very different than in Oblivion: at least the ones for Clavicus and Hircine. Both started with a small occurence in a city, Falkreath in both cases. In this case, Falkreath's smith asked me if I'd seen a dog nearby. He'd seen it on the road, and wanted it to guard his shop. I volunteer to go look for the beast. As soon as I'm in the wilderness, I get approached by the dog... Which starts speaking to me. It's Barbas, Vile's (not so) loyal companion over the years. He then dragged me along to Vile's shrine, where I was tasked with retrieving a certain axe for the Prince.

One thing that sucks about it? That quest objective is on the other side of Skyrim. I'm avoiding fast-travel like the plague, so I'm actually walking there with
Barbas
in tow right now. Hope I don't come across anything too powerful on the way there (i.e. dragons), I need to stock up on Health Potions and most alchemists I visit only have one or two for sale at a time.

So far, I've still only explored the mid-underside of the map, there's a crazy amount of things to see and do. I'll come across a dungeon with corpses strewn about the entrance, and dammit, I'll need to find out what's inside.

spekkeh

Banned
faulty_fork said:
Yeah there's definitely some problems with texture loading on the 360, for the most part it's fine but sometimes I run into wall textures that looks like they're from a Nintendo 64 game.
I've been playing ten+ hours and seen only very occasionally some texture popin, but nothing I'd call a real glitch. Nowhere near Mass Effect.

Woorloog

Banned
This game is fucking awesome!
A big group of bandits charging at me in a dungeon? I'll run to a very tight corridor, wait until they're in front of me and let out a fully upgraded and charged Unrelenting Force: BOOM, every frigging bandit fly, nay, EXPLODE away from me!
Combat is a lot better than in Oblivion though the enemies still don't react to hits much. Cinematic kills don't actually bother me despite me complaining about them earlier, the transition to them is smooth enough and they look pretty nice, the motion blur during them is a bit excessive though.
Voice acting is not bad but lack of suitable animations for extreme reactions (like being very afraid or angry) may make it seem like it ain't good. Oh and Dunmer voices are not gruff but certainly an improvement over Oblivion. Though maybe i need to meet more Dunmers before i can't be sure... Just have any DLC Dunmer characters speak with gruff voice, Bethesda, okay?
Intro was okay, certainly better than Oblivion's starter dungeon...
My main issue currently is that i cannot make the HUD stay invisible until i'm in combat or using a spell to heal myself. Setting HUD opaqueness to zero makes it invisible during combat as well, try to guess how much you've got health.

Gvaz

Banned
Deified Data said:
Do you believe they need mods to be enjoyable? That the inherent experience is sub-par? What about other games?
Beth games do, all of them. There's just too much bad design or room for improvement.

I think this about quite a number of games, if they have a mod kit or not.

Mikeside

20 long minutes :(

c'mooonn....

My buddy is making a run to Tesco REALLY hoping they put copies out at midnight - glad I'm not him, at least!

Rapstah

moop1167 said:
Can anyone pm me instructions on how to do this VPN thing? I really don't have a damn clue.
You pay some site money to allow them to channel your internet signals through the given country. Is it worth it for the few hours you have left? If you feel like it still, and think twice because it's a pain in the ass, google VPN Secure and go from there. I used them and had no issues except that their Australian server load was enormous.

Dresden

Got my copy coming in from Amazon but I'd really like to play it midnight... think I could buy a retail copy at midnight, and then just do the switcheroo once I get my amazon copy?

Antagon

Blue Ninja said:
Exactly.

This is a game to get lost in. I started playing this morning with only one thing on my mind: continuing the main quest. I ran into so much different things while on my way there, however, that it was nearly 6PM until I actually
reached High Hrothgar

I'm currently doing a quest for
Clavicus Vile
The Daedric quests are very different than in Oblivion: at least the ones for Clavicus and Hircine. Both started with a small occurence in a city, Falkreath in both cases. In this case, Falkreath's smith asked me if I'd seen a dog nearby. He'd seen it on the road, and wanted it to guard his shop. I volunteer to go look for the beast. As soon as I'm in the wilderness, I get approached by the dog... Which starts speaking to me. It's Barbas, Vile's (not so) loyal companion over the years. He then dragged me along to Vile's shrine, where I was tasked with retrieving a certain axe for the Prince.

One thing that sucks about it? That quest objective is on the other side of Skyrim. I'm avoiding fast-travel like the plague, so I'm actually walking there with
Barbas
in tow right now. Hope I don't come across anything too powerful on the way there (i.e. dragons), I need to stock up on Health Potions and most alchemists I visit only have one or two for sale at a time.
why not take the carriage from falkreath to a closer city?

Exuro

I'm trying to order this from D2D but I'm getting a phone authorization thing and when I put my number and click next/enter it says transaction could not be validated. What's up with that?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Piercedveil said:
Amazon y u no ship game yet?!?
Mine hasn't shipped, but I know it will. The thing is, I know it's not gonna show up until like 7PM tomorrow anyway. I'm always seemingly at the end of the UPS route (have two packages coming today and they're still not here).

Rekubot

13 minutes to go.
3AQmK.gif

Didn't manage to preload in time but luckily I have the DVD ready to install.

Woorloog

Banned
styl3s said:
goddamn giant spiders..

one RPG.. is it too much to have 1 western RPG without gigantic spiders?
Yes?
Hmm, now that i think of this, i don't think Morrowind had giant spiders unless you count mudcrabs.

Ceebs

So how numerous are the perks? Do you really need to decide what you want up front or do you get enough to play around with?

TheExodu5 said:
Just to illustrate what improvements you might see with the PC version, just take a look at the difference in between default, and with the "bTreesReceiveShadows=1" option on in the .ini file (for some reason, they don't let you turn it on in the options):

Default:
http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/skyrim/notree.png[img]

[img]http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/skyrim/yestree.png[img]

Some things do look terrible, like the textures, but rest assured that with mods, the PC version will improve drastically over time. This is par for the course for Bethesda games.[/QUOTE]

Where's the ini file that I need to edit? You might have to be very specific, because I'm pretty stupid.

Realyn

JambiBum said:
Longest five hours ever
You know, usually I´m sitting here at 3:00 in the night. Just finished my papers and waiting for the damn new [insert fav US show here] episode to pup up. Now you can feel the pain!

Woorloog

Banned
Ceebs said:
So how numerous are the perks? Do you really need to decide what you want up front or do you get enough to play around with?
250+ perks, you can gain up to 69 perks (70th level is the highest you can get as you have 100 in every skill then). At level 50 gaining levels slows down a lot. So you need to think a bit about it.

Zeliard

Woorloog said:
250+ perks, you can gain up to 69 perks (70th level is the highest you can get as you have 100 in every skill then). At level 50 gaining levels slows down a lot. So you need to think a bit about it.

Guess they've learned a thing or two.

Antagon said:
why not take the carriage from falkreath to a closer city?
I never actually found the carriage outside Falkreath, though. I'd taken one from Whiterun to there, but when I wanted to take one to Solitude, I couldn't find it.

Oh, and one particular moment of awesomeness came today while I was exploring the Jerall mountains (on the Cyrodiil border). I crossed a ridge, and before me lay a big-ass Nordic ruin. As I descend towards the ruin, I notice a (relatively) small guard outpost, which is basically a big round hole in the ground. I go down to its bottom level, and a Draugr bursts out of its coffin. Suddenly, my compass is filled with red blips: the Draugr brought friends.

I take the undead bastard out as his buddies, who turn out to be a bunch of shambling skeletons, descend the steps towards me. I blow 'em all apart with one well-placed Fire Breath Shout, head back up, and proceed towards the main ruin...

Only to suddenly have a dragon appear and engage me. I spent the next ten minutes playing cat and mouse with it. Lucky for me it was a Frost Dragon, and since I'm a Nord their breath attack can hardly do any damage to me. As I kill it, I notice a blip on my compass: there's a dragon lair nearby, probably with a word wall. Since I just killed its guardian, I decided it'd be wise to get some extra powers before going inside the ruin.

I scaled a mountain range (using the infamous Oblivion jumping tactics) and came in view of the dragon lair: a ruined watchtower. There's a dragon there, but it looks dead, strewn over top of the tower. However, as soon as I approach, it shudders and wakes up, and I spend the next ten minutes fighting my sixth dragon. I quickly learn a new shout word (
which apparently can curse my enemy, or something like that
) and eventually take the beast down. I have to store some of the loot I've gathered by now into a container, I'm just too heavily loaded. I head back to the ruin.

There, I discover there's no interior to the ruin. Everything takes place above ground. I engage a Draugr Overlord, which, while tough, I've grown accustomed to dealing with. As I pass through the final building, however, another coffin cracks open... And out steps a Draugr Death Overlord. That thing proceeds to rape me in ways I couldn't even imagine. It cuts me down, shouts me off the mountainside, blows my weapons away (which, by the way, is fucking annoying). I ultimately lure it to a nearby guard tower and manage to push it off using my shield bash and Force shout. The bastard gets stuck on a cliff face, so I pelt him with arrows and fireballs 'till he finally bites it. I go to loot his body and, lo and behold, he's got an Ebony Sword on him.

Loaded with way too many loot and feeling pretty damned badass, I head on to my next adventure.

That next adventure would involve the town of Riverwood and one pissed-off random dragon, but I already posted about that. :lol

Cutwolf

I'm level 3 and lost near a bunch of Spriggans.

Getting my ass whooped but I love this game.

Being a mage is so fun, and I've never liked playing a mage in any game before.

Wish spell switching was easier, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom