• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an email from Bethesda that my free copy is ready to be preloaded, I don't have much interest in the game, but I wish my PC could handle this. Would love to at least check it out.

AEREC

blahblah...blah said:
Stumbled across a vampire den under a small lake on the way to Windhelm. Not fucking around here, I don't want to contract vampirism, but if I do, I won't reload.

This brings up one of the main problems I have with elder scrolls games...there really are no consequences to your actions if you can just quicksave and reload yourself out of situations.

Ill still enjoy the game and for the most part I have the willpower not to cheat the game in this way, but Im sure it would be 1000x times more fun if the game had a checkpoint save system.

Speaking of which how is the save system, does it autosave often enough?

Woorloog

Banned
I did have issues at high levels in Oblivion at times with melee oriented character. Maybe i didn't have enough enchantments or something but fuck having to fight 5+ daedra in a plane of Oblivion without dublicate items for broken ones, no magic, no companions etc.
One vs one worked fine in Oblivion but group fights (regardless of level)... urgh.

Ostinatto said:
slowpoke here

this videogame doesnt have any kind of multiplayer??

:/
/Facepalm. TES series doesn't have multiplayer. Would love 2p co-op but don't expect any form of MP until TES MMO comes, if it comes.

JackEtc

Square Triangle said:
Just got an email from Bethesda that my free copy is ready to be preloaded, I don't have much interest in the game, but I wish my PC could handle this. Would love to at least check it out.
Why'd they send you a free copy?

On a different note, I have work Saturday and Sunday and can't buy the game until I pick up my paycheck and deposit it and the banks will be closed on the weekend. Dammit.

blahblah...blah said:
Not familiar with the lore, but good to know that it means something extra to those who are. To me, it was just plain scary haha!
"The Volkihar vampires of eastern Skyrim live under haunted, frozen lakes and only leave their dens to feed. They have the power to freeze their victims with icy breath, and can reach through the ice of their frozen lake dens without breaking the ice."

It's pretty cool that they're actually in there, to some extent. The vampires I've already encountered lived in caves and mines, probably because of the proximity to Cyrodiil. I really need to head North sometime.

Ostinatto said:
slowpoke here

this videogame doesnt have any kind of multiplayer??

:/
No multiplayer in mah vidjamagaez?

emxqg17j7.gif

Realyn

AEREC said:
This brings up one of the main problems I have with elder scrolls games...there really are no consequences to your actions if you can just quicksave and reload yourself out of situations.

Ill still enjoy the game and for the most part I have the willpower not to cheat the game in this way, but Im sure it would be 1000x times more fun if the game had a checkpoint save system.
You need autosaves. Bugs anyone? Like you said, it´s about having the willpower yourself.
If people want to got 2h greatsword battlemage whos picking every chest. Heck - let them. As long as they have fun with it.

Did you just edit your post? Yes it autosaves alot. You have like 5 old Autosaves.

Zeliard

Sotha Sil said:
What do you mean? I encountered a few tough enemies in the planes of Oblivion with my thief, when stealth was not an option. Other than that, the game was quite easy.

Was referring to your comments on Skyrim. What difficulty are you playing in?

Wallach

blahblah...blah said:
Not familiar with the lore, but good to know that it means something extra to those who are. To me, it was just plain scary haha!

I think that bit of lore was established in Oblivion. Use spoilers if necessary, but did they have a particular name or variety?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Heading home with my copy now. Is installing on the 360 recommended? Is the texture bug a real issue?

Zeliard

I'm curious how well-balanced the highest difficulty (the 5th one) is. That's what I plan to play on but probably not if it just gives enemies stupid amounts of HP.

AEREC

Realyn said:
You need autosaves. Bugs anyone? Like you said, it´s about having the willpower yourself.
If people want to got 2h greatsword battlemage whos picking every chest. Heck - let them. As long as they have fun with it.

Did you just edit your post? Yes it autosaves alot. You have like 5 old Autosaves.

Im not saying restrict the classes, Im just saying create a save system that forces the user to go into fights cautiously and not just rush into everything thinking "oh I can just quicksave and reload if it's too dangerous," it takes away from the immersion.

Realyn

FuzzyNorman said:
If anyone is playing on the difficulty one above Adept (I forgot the name), can you report on how difficult it is?
I´m playing master or whatever the hardest is called. I went into the first major dungeon with my archer companion buddy and died twice, I believe. It´s really good if you have RPG experience.
Out of memory I would say enemy needed 10-15 bow shots or 4-5 DW combos, while they needed 3 2 handed hits to kill you. But ofc you will fight 2 or 3 at the same time, while still having magic.

Zeliard said:
I'm curious how well-balanced the highest difficulty (the 5th one) is. That's what I plan to play on but probably not if it just gives enemies stupid amounts of HP.
No it doesnt. I´m 6 hours in so far and have to wait for my gf to keep playing. So far it´s really good like I stated above. Enemys did not have stupid amount of HP like in Oblivion. Did you play Dragon Age 2 on the hardest diff? It´s kinda like that, little bit more easy.

Dresden

I'd always meant to roll High Snob, but I'm tempted to make a Dunmer mage now. A mix of destruction, sneak, and alchemy sounds rather cool.

Woorloog

Banned
FuzzyNorman said:
If anyone is playing on the difficulty one above Adept (I forgot the name), can you report on how difficult it is?
Considering Adept is quite challenging at times already, anything above is going to be difficult. If the difficulty works just like Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, all it does is to adjust the damage you deal and receive (in Oblivion with highest difficulty you dealt 1/6 damage and received 6 times more damage, vice versa for easiest)

Gvaz

Banned
It's a fucking chicken. After I killed it some townsperson went over to it and was all like....Poor Jacob, you died so young~ or the equivalent emotion of it through animations.

Zeliard

Gvaz said:
It's a fucking chicken. After I killed it some townsperson went over to it and was all like....Poor Jacob, you died so young~ or the equivalent emotion of it through animations.

Dude, as someone already said, that was his pet. Way to go, murderer.

Dresden

Gvaz said:
You killed their fucking chicken, what'd you expect?

Ghost23

Woorloog said:
Considering Adept is quite challenging at times already, anything above is going to be difficult. If the difficulty works just like Morrowind, Oblivion and Fallout 3, all it does is to adjust the damage you deal and receive (in Oblivion with highest difficulty you dealt 1/6 damage and received 6 times more damage, vice versa for easiest)

Yea, I'll probably play Adept for my first playthrough. I mean I could play a higher difficulty for a challenge, but to be honest, I just want to sit back and enjoy the ride.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
JackEtc said:
There's a Razor-1911 (big name in game pirating if you didn't know) that's been out all day, they could be on that.
Or....completely pure reasons such as time zones, and retail outlets breaking release dates..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom