• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigal

Banned
So my friend has a crippling fear of spiders and I just informed him that the beginning dungeon has a bunch of spiders in it that you have to fight (right? wasn't positive). Then he asked me if it was possible to change the texture file of the spiders lol

Any idea?

Woorloog

Banned
Cutwolf said:
I'm level 3 and lost near a bunch of Spriggans.

Getting my ass whooped but I love this game.

Being a mage is so fun, and I've never liked playing a mage in any game before.

Wish spell switching was easier, but oh well.
This game is challenging. There are fights that are difficult but always "fair", unlike Oblivion where fighting bandits wearing Orcish or Glass armor was ridiculously hard. Playing on Adept and i'm running on tight places constanly, largery due not wanting to spend so many healing potions which are plentiful by the way. As are other potions.

Bob White

OK, just bought the game while looking for marvel 3. What's this whole VPN deal? I used the Korean one for BF3 but have no idea how to go about it here. I see I need a Euro one? Can someone please give me the low down?

Zeliard

Cutwolf said:
I'm level 3 and lost near a bunch of Spriggans.

Getting my ass whooped but I love this game.

Being a mage is so fun, and I've never liked playing a mage in any game before.

Wish spell switching was easier, but oh well.

They better have a nice selection of hotkeys. We're not relegated to the console menu, are we?

Mine was stuck at 17% for some time, don't worry.

I'm in an awesome, but truly terrifying situation right now. I'm on my way to Windhelm for a side quest, and ended up getting chased by a giant. In my desperation to escape, I climbed up this rock which jutted out over the edge of a very steep drop, near the HUGE waterfall. With the giant swinging its club mere feet from my body, I was contemplating jumping to escape being bludgeoned to death. Then, all of a sudden, I hear these gusts of wind and a distant roar. I look out over the ravine and see a dragon flapping its wings and flying straight towards me. A giant on one side, a dragon on the other, and a drop that will almost certainly lead to my death - how on earth did I end up in this situation?!

Wallach

Zeliard said:
They better have a nice selection of hotkeys. We're not relegated to the console menu, are we?

On PC, you assign hotkeys the same way as in Oblivion, but you do it from the Favorites menu. Pull up Favorites, highlight whatever you want to assign, then press the hotkey (1-8 num row).

Wallach said:
On PC, you assign hotkeys the same way as in Oblivion, but you do it from the Favorites menu. Pull up Favorites, highlight whatever you want to assign, then press the hotkey (1-8 num row).

I didn't realise there were hotkeys on top of the favourites menu! That'll teach me to jump straight in.

Dina

Once more, anyone know if your armor (heavy, leather or cloth) has any effect on sneaking, sorcery and/or archery?

Cutwolf

Wallach said:

I didn't know that! Thanks.

I switched over to my Xbox 360 controller because everything navigated much better with the controller, but the hot key thing makes it a whole new ballgame.

Thanks again!

Zeliard

Wallach said:

Seems reasonable enough.

AEREC

Can anyone comment on the difficulty? Are there still sliders ( i hope not)? Is the game as easy as past Bethesda titles?

Woorloog

Banned
There are hotkeys on consoles as well? WTF? How do they work? From favorites menu as well?
AEREC said:
Can anyone comment on the difficulty? Are there still sliders ( i hope not)? Is the game as easy as past Bethesda titles?
5 choices, game defaults on normal-equivalent. Challenging on Adept (normal) IMO. A lot of easy fights but also ridiculously hard ones. Not fake challening like Oblivion with its scaled enemies who wear daedric and glass equipment.

Wallach

Dina said:
Once more, anyone know if your armor (heavy, leather or cloth) has any effect on sneaking, sorcery and/or archery?

I don't think it affects archery, but it does stealth. Heavier armor creates more "noise" during movement (there is a perk to reduce this effect as well in Sneak tree).

As for spellcasting, I have asked a couple times and nobody was certain. Someone on UESP claims it does but provided no details, and I still have 5 hours to unlock time.

Woorloog said:
5 choices, game defaults on normal-equivalent. Challenging on Adept (normal) IMO. A lot of easy fights but also ridiculously hard ones. Not fake challening like Oblivion with its scaled enemies who wear daedric and glass equipment.
Yeah, the game's definitely a lot harder than Oblivion. I had my ass kicked by high-level enemies several times.

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Yeah, the game's definitely a lot harder than Oblivion. I had my ass kicked by high-level enemies several times.
I wouldn't call it harder. Oblivion on normal with high level character who is not powerleveled is nigh impossible at times. This game? Merely challenging, just the way it should be.

EDIT a lot of typos today... grr

Woorloog said:
I wouldn't call it harder. Oblivion on normal with high level character who is not powerleveled is nigh impossible at times. This game? Merely challenging, just the way it should be.

I remember playing Oblivion and just cheesing Umbra to death to get that ridiculous sword and armor set really early on.

Sotha Sil

Spell-making being left out is the only thing that actually makes me sad. Creating an instant-death touch spell was pretty awesome in Morrowind/Oblivion. I guess they did it for the sake of balance, but still, too bad.

Woorloog said:

I never powerlevel my characters and I managed fine. I never had any real trouble in Oblivion, and I seriously don't get where all the talk of people having trouble comes from. :lol

Stumbled across a vampire den under a small lake on the way to Windhelm. Not fucking around here, I don't want to contract vampirism, but if I do, I won't reload.

zethren

Banned
blahblah...blah said:
Stumbled across a vampire den under a small lake on the way to Windhelm. Not fucking around here, I don't want to contract vampirism, but if I do, I won't reload.

Yeah, I really didn't enjoy Vampirism in Oblivion...

blahblah...blah said:
Insert sparkle joke here.

Wallach

Blue Ninja said:
I never powerlevel my characters and I managed fine. I never had any real trouble in Oblivion, and I seriously don't get where all the talk of people having trouble comes from. :lol

I think at default difficulty Oblivion is pretty easy. Game is fucking miserable with the difficulty slider maxed though. So dumb.

Rookie

Neo Member
First impressions ( 360 )

Really enjoying the game, I waited for the 360 patch that came out and Installed it to the HDD, now I haven't noticed big impacts on the graphics.

The game feels really dynamic, and so huge. I went on a small side quest, and have a small pile of loot which makes me happy.

I rolled a Bosmer, so I am journeying through the world, I am about 5 hours in and not looking back.

Funny moment,:
Walking through the woods, suddenly attacked by a barrage of magical attacks. A creepy looking Necromancer leaps forward, then suddenly out of no where a woman in her underwear starts attacking me. .. I dispatched them easily.. but I have many questions..

Filth

i just got home from work sorry if this was asked 3242345 times but how are you guys getting it to decrypt? some vpn trick? and if so halp meez!Q@!#!@#!@#

blahblah...blah said:
How does one cure themselves of vampirism? With a cure disease potion?

Trickster

Did I miss something? I just choose my race, and name, but neither gender nor customization came up :|

Edit - nvm , reloaded and found the other options.

Hawk269

What do I do guys???

I have both the regular PC edition and the Collectors PC edition reserved at Best Buy. Still up in the air on which one to buy. I have a $50.00 Gift Card for Best Buy and that is why I am buying from them. The midnight launch is about 6 hours away for me and I am not sure which way to go.

Eusis

Blue Ninja said:
I think it has to do with how the scaling system works. I'd have to see how exactly it scales though, if there's a preset value for each level or it tries to correspond to your stats, because if it's the latter I can definitely see why it could get very screwy.

Freki

blahblah...blah said:

could you plz use spoiler tags for such information - thank you

Sotha Sil

Blue Ninja said:

Playing a thief at high level was pretty tough in Oblivion (only when visiting/closing a gate), but it's indeed the only problem I've ever had in the game. Skyrim looks a bit too easy so far (killing three legionaries with a mage was ridiculously easy, for instance). I hope it'll change when fighting tougher enemies.

Zeliard

Sotha Sil said:
Playing a thief at high level was pretty tough in Oblivion, but only when visiting/closing a gate, but it's indeed the only problem I've ever had in the game. Skyrim looks a bit too easy so far (killing three legionaries with a mage was ridiculously easy, for instance). I hope it'll change when fighting tougher enemies.

What difficulty?

blahblah...blah said:
Heh, they're actually under the lake? That's an awesome lore-reference.

Reluctant-Hero said:
How does one cure themselves of vampirism? With a cure disease potion?
Yeah, you can use a cure disease potion in the early stages, before it progresses to vampirism. It's a lot like in Oblivion, you get a disease before you actually turn.

Sotha Sil said:
Playing a thief at high level was pretty tough in Oblivion, but only when visiting/closing a gate, but it's indeed the only problem I've ever had in the game. Skyrim looks a bit too easy so far (killing three legionaries with a mage was ridiculously easy, for instance). I hope it'll change when fighting tougher enemies.
Three words for you: Draugr Death Overlord.

Lakitu

st5fu
What's the length of time before you
fully become a vampire (and have to do the quest, not use potions or restoration)
? I think Oblivion was 3 days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom