• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Lesson learned: don't fuck with giants at level one.

Zefah said:
I was fine with the mouse and keyboard controls for the first hour, but I just plugged in my 360 controller and it feels extremely good. There is a bit of janky pop-in if you jerk your mouse around quickly, so the slower movement of the right-stick will eliminate that. I think I'm going to play with the 360 pad for now.

Yep. Maybe I could have adjusted to KB/m controls, but it feels just right with a pad. The favorites menu was a good idea, it makes switching weapons with a pad quick and easy.

undecided

Suburban_Nooblet said:
Did anyone get the game at best buy with the pre order? Did they have the "free premium map"?

I picked it up at best buy without a preorder and a friend got it from gamestop with a preorder.

Both have the words "PREMIUM PHYSICAL MAP INSIDE" printed on the upper left-hand corner of the back of the case.

zlatko

Banned
Changed the Fov to 90, and to 85. It helped a ton with the motion sickness, but now everything looks far away from me like I'm looking through a pair of binoculars backwards.

:(

TheExodu5

Banned
zlatko said:
Changed the Fov to 90, and to 85. It helped a ton with the motion sickness, but now everything looks far away from me like I'm looking through a pair of binoculars backwards.

:(

Turn it down a bit. FOV 80 is my preferred setting for 16:9. You might need to lower it a tiny bit for 16:10.

officially sucked in.

I just finished the tutoria; section as a Khajiit. How the hell do you use the Night Eye? Its a fav but for some reason he wont use it....

DanielJr82

Just came back from the midnight launch on the East Coast (it's now 1:37 AM) in Massachusetts, got caught up talking with my brothers but now I have the game all to myself. I'm so tired, though, I think I'll just play for an hour or so now and then continue tomorrow.

There were a lot more people than I expected.

skyrim_11-11-11_01.jpg

skyrim_11-11-11_02.jpg

skyrim_11-11-11_03.jpg

skyrim_11-11-11_04.jpg

Approximately 180 people, according to the employees. The crowd was ecstatic, there was a lot of yelling once the people started getting their copies. I seriously wasn't expecting it to be this packed, I would've been there earlier.

undecided said:
I picked it up at best buy without a preorder and a friend got it from gamestop with a preorder.

Both have the words "PREMIUM PHYSICAL MAP INSIDE" printed on the upper left-hand corner of the back of the case.

Thanks man, I tried to explain this tonight to some people and they weren't having it lol.

Vire

So I'm having texture loading issues it looks like.

The hand is not rendered at all and it's really disappointing.

360 Version, tried installing and uninstalling don't know what to do. I've seen the videos and they look much better than this.

Any help?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
fna84 said:
I bought the PC version from EBGames...do I use the DVD to install the game or do I just enter the key into Steam and download it?

I think both work, you can do a partial install from the disk, but you can also just drop the cd-key into Steam and download the whole game from there.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
fna84 said:
I bought the PC version from EBGames...do I use the DVD to install the game or do I just enter the key into Steam and download it?
Does your connection let you download a 4GB game in 10 minutes, or is your DVD drive faster?

BFIB

fna84 said:

You should just enter the code via Steam. Don't even need to use the disc.

Gvaz

Banned
zlatko said:
@ Exodu5.

Is it not set at 80-90 initially? Why do developers put games at stupid ass 75 or whatever the dumb interval is that causes me to get headaches in a few minutes of playing. :(
Again, because it's a console port.

Low FOV works if you're far away from the screen, but arms length on 1080p+? It's too shallow.

also
Kj9fj.jpg

BFIB

Between Batman: AC (about 70% through) Uncharted 3 (still in the wrapper), NHL 12, Rage, and now Skyrim, I just feel overwhelmed and giddy at the same time. Just an awesome time to be a gamer.

spirity

Gvaz

Banned
Wallach said:
After my first hour, I don't mind the UI at all. Like I figured, you don't really need to pay attention to where the cursor is; I just navigate with WASD (using A/D to page left or right) and you can click LMB/RMB and perform the highlighted action regardless of where the cursor is. I don't even pay attention to where the cursor is in the menus.

It's a lot less annoying to me than Oblivion's default UI on PC where you you basically have to do everything with the cursor.

Anyway I'm only out of the starting dungeon. Breton's start with the Conjure Familiar spell, which is bad ass; right out of the gates I'm rocking a giant ethereal wolf. Magic feels bad ass in this game.

That's how PC UIs should be developed, going through multiple menus with non-standard confirm/deny setups all with the keyboard is time consuming and tedious compared to using your mouse with the keyboard for shortcuts.

TheExodu5

Banned
I have a bow set to hotkey 1, and a dagger set to hotkey 2. If I pull out my bow and press 1 again, it switches to my dagger and then I lose the hotkey to my bow.

UUURRRRGGHHH.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I can't sleep, because I want to play the game. But 5 minutes into playing it, I still can't get over the shitty controls and quit. Were they testing the PC build with a controller or something? It isn't possible that someone okay'd this.

Feels bad. I need sleeping pills.

Lyphen said:
I can't sleep, because I want to play the game. But 5 minutes into playing it, I still can't get over the shitty controls and quit. Were they testing the PC build with a controller or something? It isn't possible that someone okay'd this.

Feels bad. I need sleeping pills.

PC or Console?

Gvaz

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I have a bow set to hotkey 1, and a dagger set to hotkey 2. If I pull out my bow and press 1 again, it switches to my dagger and then I lose the hotkey to my bow.

UUURRRRGGHHH.
Fuck so THATs why it kept going away in my favorites menu. The fuck, pressing the same button should sheathe it not remove the hotkey, wtf

Volimar

slopeslider said:
Why do you have to wait weeks?

Time zones etc.

Real answer is I had to spend my Skyrim money to take my nephew to the doctor. Turns out he has the first case of strep throat of the season (yay?). Won't have more disposable cash till maybe mid December...

whiteparentproblems.gif

Big Ass Ramp said:
Gt9Cy.jpg

oh shit this cant be a good sign

Looks a lot like the Helm of Oreyn Bearclaw...

zlatko

Banned
I'll have to try playing later from further away from the screen or something. The motion sickness isn't as bad, but it's still jarring. I have a giant headache, my stomach feels like it's doing flip flops, and I'm starting to sweat like I've been running a few miles.

Time to lay down for a few hours. GG Bethesda. :(

Vire

nickbreckon said:
Try requipping your weapon and/or gloves.
Dude this is kinda unacceptable?

I'll try re-equiping and un-equiping shortly.

How did reviewers not mention this...

Is there a fix coming soon? I cleared my cache and all that nonsense but unfortunately it's still there.

voltron

Snuggler said:
My major issue with the way they handled inventory is that it doesn't display your character. It's neat to be able to see how different armor and weapons look without having to exit the menu and enter vanity mode. I guess it's quicker this way, though...

Yeh I figured out that going into 3rd person and rotating the cam before entering the inventory essentially solves that problem. Still, annoying though.

Wallach

Gvaz said:
That's how PC UIs should be developed, going through multiple menus with non-standard confirm/deny setups all with the keyboard is time consuming and tedious compared to using your mouse with the keyboard for shortcuts.

Sorry, but I think compared to the Oblivion UI this is quite a lot easier to navigate. I'm an old emacs type guy though, I don't think it's a viewpoint you're going to understand. Hopefully a modder comes along and fashions something quickly for folks that aren't happy with it when the construction kit lands; I'm sure that is the first thing on order for most.

Personally I'm more concerned with the strange mouse movement. It's not as bad as I was expecting, but there's still weirdness on the vertical axis, even when the framerate is locked to 60.

Zeliard said:
Oh there's no 0 and 9?

I don't think so, should just be 1-8.

As for Exodu5's hotkey issue, I have no idea what is happening there. I know stuff defaults to certain hands; like all spells default to left hand and all 1h weapons default to right hand. So when I want a spell on the right hand, I have to hit the hotkey twice. It's not what I expected; it seems like you should have to hold the hotkey then press the hand you want it to go to. Otherwise it's been consistent for me though.

Exuro

Played longer than I expected I would(school in the morning). Gotta say wow, really enjoying the game! Once I checked out the skill screen I was floored with the number of perks. My character is a dual wielding orc which I'm really enjoying. Only did the tutorial and the "first" quest. Can't wait to play again tomorrow!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Can you actually spare NPC's when they give up in a near-death state, or will they always just get back up and attack?

voltron

Question for 360 owners (or anyone really), does your game have a type of dynamic contrast thing built into it? Like areas will become darker/lighter based on your position and viewing angle (and various other things) etc...

Im only asking becuase I have a Bravia LCD and they have a built-in dynamic contrast enhancer. I thought I turned it off but maybe not.

So Im curious if its my TV or if its the game.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:

UUURRRRGGHHH.

Hm strange, though it shouldn't be permanent. Just tried to reproduce the problem but it's working fine for me, though I was using hotkeys 3 and 4. It sheathes the weapon and keeps the hotkey.

TheExodu5

Banned
So, is there some funkiness to the skill/leveling system? Do I max out on skills? Should I refrain from leveling certain skills? Should I refrain from leveling too much?

Zeliard said:
Hm strange, though it shouldn't be permanent. Just tried to reproduce the problem but it's working fine for me, though I was using hotkeys 3 and 4. It sheathes the weapon and keeps the hotkey.

Were you using bow and dagger? Other weapons sheathe for me...the problem just reproduces itself with bow and dagger.

edit: nvm, it reproduces itself with the bow, regardless of what else I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom