• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutwolf

bPDSCl.jpg

Inception?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
cackhyena said:
Cuz textures are terrible in this game period?

No. Lol figured it out... Last driver update set my game mip maps to lowest detail... It made the game look horrendous

I'm in Bradenton, Florida just south of Tampa, there's no GS midnight opening here, so I have to wait, the last half of a day is the worse. No early playing for me :(

Woo-Fu

Banned
Big Ass Ramp said:
Do I still gain agility by jumping everywhere and do I still gain sneak by crouching as mich as possible?

Agility is gone, only 3 base stats now, stamina, health, and magika.

Sneak you gain by crouching in the vicinity of any mob/npc, so yeah, I think you can crouch in an inn and go afk if you'd like.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just made it out of the tutorial and, personally, I don't find the mouse/keyboard controls to be as bad as some people are making them out to be. Obviously the interface could be much better, but it's serviceable.

I'm liking the visuals a lot, too. Low-res textures, but things look great when not up close. Excellent art direction, but that goes without saying.

Good performance, too.

I'm running a Sandy Bridge i5 2500k@3.3ghz, 4GB RAM, and a 5870 1GB. All settings on Ultra, but MSAA turned down to 2x (FXAA on, though). I even have v-sync still on and it's running extremely smoothly.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ended up switching to a pad pretty fast. This game was not designed with KB/M in mind, at all. Navigating the menus was a bitch, but it's pretty intuitive with a pad.

Jibbed

cackhyena said:
Cuz textures are terrible in this game period?

I'm a few hours in now and I wouldn't say terrible. Yeah, it's a game made primarily for consoles so if you compare it to recent PC releases, the textures and some geometry look a little off.

It's still a beautiful game - this is it running on my laptop at high-ish settings, 720p, no AA:

20573hc.jpg

Jibbed

Snuggler said:
Ended up switching to a pad pretty fast. This game was not designed with KB/M in mind, at all. Navigating the menus was a bitch, but it's pretty intuitive with a pad.

I haven't had any issues with the menus at all... seem ok for kb/mouse.

CrazyDude

Papercuts said:
I went to the gears 3 midnight launch and there was about 20 people at my gamestop. Tonight there was over 100, it was nuts. Really didn't expect that.

Also, I didn't know the game had a reversible cover, that's awesome.
The were a whole bunch of people where I went. I wonder what the sales number is going to be.

JoeMartin

Item management in this game is literally the worse thing ever.

Compound text menus with zero sorting options whatsoever? Thanks 2011.

TheExodu5

Banned
The starting sequence is random? First time, when I entered the keep, I was in a basement with chests. This time, there's a dead guy with a spear from who I get my gear.

Echoplx

TheExodu5 said:
The starting sequence is random? First time, when I entered the keep, I was in a basement with chests. This time, there's a dead guy with a spear from who I get my gear.

That's when you choose between which starting town you go to, it's not so much random as poorly explained.

EDIT: To clarify there are two seperate keeps that are slightly different

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Game plays and looks fan-fucking-tastic. Goodbye life!

I set it to Ultra and am getting 60fps rock solid running around in the wilds, with occasional dips to 55-57 or so when enemies show up, not sure what I'll see in big towns.

i7-2600k @ 4.8ghz
8GB DDR3 @ ~2150mhz
GTX 580
Samsung F3 1TB
Running @ 1920x1080

TheExodu5

Banned
3chopl0x said:
That's when you choose between which starting town you go to, it's not so much random as poorly explained.

EDIT: To clarify there are two seperate keeps that are slightly different

What? When did I make a choice?

cackhyena

Jibbed said:
I'm a few hours in now and I wouldn't say terrible. Yeah, it's a game made primarily for consoles so if you compare it to recent PC releases, the textures and some geometry look a little off.

It's still a beautiful game - this is it running on my laptop at high-ish settings, 720p, no AA:

20573hc.jpg
Oh yeah, like I said before, from afar, the game is pretty damn nice looking. But even on Ultra, up close...not so much. It really doesn't matter, given how big it is and how much there is to do. Just saying.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Woo-Fu said:
Agility is gone, only 3 base stats now, stamina, health, and magika.

Sneak you gain by crouching in the vicinity of any mob/npc, so yeah, I think you can crouch in an inn and go afk if you'd like.

Ok thanks

TheExodu5

Banned
Just want to make sure: can you screw yourself up like in Oblivion by leveling major skills or leveling too quickly?

3chopl0x said:
Yeah.

It's pretty stupid, I didn't want to go imperial but I didn't know I was making a choice (was too busy running away from a dragon)

It really wasn't obvious at all. I went through that sequence twice and never noticed I was making a choice.

Gvaz

Banned
Jibbed said:
Neckbeard. Seriously though, since coming to uni and meeting loads of new/different people, I've been surprised by how many are pretty enthusiastic gamers when the thought wouldn't have crossed my mind just by how they look. Girls especially - I was at a girls flat the other night and she had a 360 next her TV with 2 games: Oblivion and COD4. That was a good night.
My friends friend is a girl who plays PC games and just bought herself a mechanical keyboard. I went "Wow attractive and smart! Lets hit up her prof- oh she's apparently in high school. WELP"

Win some you lose some I guess.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I feel a little embarrassed that I have watched my partner play this today more than I care to admit. She's only done a few sidequests and such but it still looks like a great game to play. The overworld of Skyrim is quite impressive.

She came across a book about the Great War and told me to read it. Quite interesting.

eosos

Banned
WHY THE FUCK WONT IT START ON STEAM?! I pressed play and it does the first time set up then the launcher pops up and I press play and nothing happens.

Reuenthal

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Just want to make sure: can you screw yourself up like in Oblivion by leveling major skills or leveling too quickly?

It really wasn't obvious at all. I went through that sequence twice and never noticed I was making a choice.

Is that choice in any way permanent? Other than possibly some loot you can change factions right? I also don't remember making a choice and so the game was unclear on that part.

qKaC3K

Soo GOOD!
Started playing 11pm and now it's 7am and I have only done side quests so far.

Also it runs pretty well on my laptop.
i5 2.7ghz - 4gb ram - ati 5870 - 1920x1080
Autodetect put the graphic settings on high and 4xAA but I had some slow downs with that.
So I changed it to 2xAA and now it runs smoothly.

eosos said:
WHY THE FUCK WONT IT START ON STEAM?! I pressed play and it does the first time set up then the launcher pops up and I press play and nothing happens.

Join me in my frustration, friend.

Green Man Gaming is the bane that has my goat.

zlatko

Banned
Getting motion sickness playing it on PC. Is the FOV set at a weird ass number? Or is it the games blur effect?

I need to remedy w/e of the two is causing it before I can continue. Anyone ?

Gvaz

Banned
JoeMartin said:
Item management in this game is literally the worse thing ever.

Compound text menus with zero sorting options whatsoever? Thanks 2011.
not to mention no mouse interactions!

It's like they developed for the consoles, oh wiat

So I played for 45 minutes, here's my full review.

-Graphics are here and there, but gotdamn those rivers and streams looks great don't they? Don't seem to have any affect whatsoever on framerate either. Whoever came up with that earned their salary.

-Speaking of, walked over a waterfall and was surprised to find it pulled me through the current! That was fun.

-I like the interface. Seems elegant to me and it moves fast(that's really the most important thing). Also really like the new favorites menu thing. Pauses automatically and lets me scroll through shit I think is important. Way better than trying to hit 5 and 8 on my keyboard in the middle of battle.

-Executions already seem goofy and clunky. That's OK though, still glad they're there! Combat does seem to hit harder in general, and you can 'feel' spells a lot more, at least that's my cursory experience.

-Voice acting sucks so far but it gets the job done. Seems like it could use some work with spacing and panning and stuff like that; found it hard to tell who was talking when there's multiple people.

Shambles

Gvaz said:
not to mention no mouse interactions!

It's like they developed for the consoles, oh wiat

Fucking pathetic. As usual I'll wait a couple years for the community to fix the game before I buy it for $7 for the GOTY edition. I'm hoping to finally pick up new vegas GOTY this christmas sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom