• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Good times so far. When I got out into the world I decided to first head to Falkreath instead of the first quest town to check out what it's like and what I might stumble across. Found a bandit's home along the way, killed the bandit inside and stole a bunch of his stuff.

While casually looting the place I
found a button to a secret doorway that ended up leading to a surprisingly large and varied dungeon - basically a bandit's hideout, Pinewatch Sanctuary. Killed a bunch of bandits in there and it ended up quite the loot-heavy experience.

I found and happily took tons of crafting ingredients, gold, food, books (one of which gave me a side quest having to do with finding someone's missing sword), various gear (including a couple neat Mage items, and some pricey stuff to sell), and opened some expert locks for a nice early boost to leveling and more loot.

I also found an "unusual gem" that prompted a side quest to seek an appraiser. The dungeon ended up looping back to the entrance with a bunch of traps on the way out. Clearing it took a decent amount of time, though I also pretty much scoured the place.

This is basically the first thing I've done in the game post-intro. Now time to get to a town to sell shit and do other things. :p

And yeah Destruction Mage is pretty dope, and powerful, even on Master difficulty (which turns out to be a fun and pretty fair challenge, at least so far). Not only do Mage robes come equipped with +50% Magicka regen (and some basic early Mage headgear adds +30 to Magicka), but the very first perk you unlock in each Mage tree reduces novice Magicka cost by half for that spell type.

One of the perks after that in the Destruction tree (and the others) gives you the ability to combine the same magic type with both hands for extra effect (you can snag this one particularly quickly if playing as a race that starts with a Destr. buff, since it costs 20). All of that stuff can come quite early in the game and it's a pretty major boost.

As a random aside, I'm also currently carrying enough mead to kill a Viking.

TheExodu5

Banned
zlatko said:
Getting motion sickness playing it on PC. Is the FOV set at a weird ass number? Or is it the games blur effect?

I need to remedy w/e of the two is causing it before I can continue. Anyone ?

You can open the console (~) and type fov xx (80-90 is a good bet).

However, setting any settings through the console will disable Steam achievements.

I haven't found any way to set it permanently, yet. =\

zlatko

Banned
@ Exodu5.

Is it not set at 80-90 initially? Why do developers put games at stupid ass 75 or whatever the dumb interval is that causes me to get headaches in a few minutes of playing. :(

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
I bought from greenman gaming, got my key instantly, put it into steam and am playing. What are you guys doing?

Anyone else getting MAJOR talk-over in dialogue scenes? Pretty much every time an NPC says something, their next line of dialogue starts in the middle of their sentence and their mouth goes fucking ape-shit trying to keep up.

(._.)

Banned
Played an hour of it. Really like everything so far. UI is a bit intimidating but I will probably get used to it in a couple of hours. Mainly glad it runs so well. Haven't encountered any bugs yet. I'm running it on ultra with a 580. Everything is on and maxed out. I am getting a really decent frame rate too.

-GOUKI-

okay i gotta a question. I bought the disc specifically because my bandwidth is exceeded this month. I popped the disc in and its downloading from steam and not installing from the disc wtf?

TheExodu5

Banned
zlatko said:
@ Exodu5.

Is it not set at 80-90 initially? Why do developers put games at stupid ass 75 or whatever the dumb interval is that causes me to get headaches in a few minutes of playing. :(

60 by default

NBtoaster said:
Default fov is tiny. Open the console and type fov 90 or whatever you think is best.

I keep hearing this disables Steam achievements. Can anyone verify this?

(._.)

Banned
If anything this game is making me miss my Fallout New Vegas save file. I had an 100 hour save file in that game. Hadn't done any of the DLC plus there were a lot of side quest and rare items/locations I wanted to find :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
My major issue with the way they handled inventory is that it doesn't display your character. It's neat to be able to see how different armor and weapons look without having to exit the menu and enter vanity mode. I guess it's quicker this way, though...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
HP_Wuvcraft said:
Green Man Gaming, wtf.

Let me download it already.

Steam lets me play it. Why don't you?
Veins said:
I bought from greenman gaming, got my key instantly, put it into steam and am playing. What are you guys doing?
Indeed, did you just miss that they gave you the key?

Default checker set me at high, I bumped up to Ultra and have been getting pretty good framerates (though certainly not a solid 60) with my setup at 8xAA/FXAA and 8xAF. Looks gorgeous. The poor textures, in all seriousness, really don't make that much of an impact when the larger views and art design are so spectacular.

Really happy with my Khajiit character design too.

That said, I just ALT-TABBED out and I don't think I can get back, so there's that. :p And the Steam overlay appears to not work at all.
edit: I take it back, just wasn't patient. Seems to work decently enough :D

Wallach

After my first hour, I don't mind the UI at all. Like I figured, you don't really need to pay attention to where the cursor is; I just navigate with WASD (using A/D to page left or right) and you can click LMB/RMB and perform the highlighted action regardless of where the cursor is. I don't even pay attention to where the cursor is in the menus.

It's a lot less annoying to me than Oblivion's default UI on PC where you you basically have to do everything with the cursor.

Anyway I'm only out of the starting dungeon. Breton's start with the Conjure Familiar spell, which is bad ass; right out of the gates I'm rocking a giant ethereal wolf. Magic feels bad ass in this game.

zlatko said:
Getting motion sickness playing it on PC. Is the FOV set at a weird ass number? Or is it the games blur effect?

I need to remedy w/e of the two is causing it before I can continue. Anyone ?

Was getting this too and it's the first time I ever remember getting motion sickness from a game.

TheExodu5 said:
You can open the console (~) and type fov xx (80-90 is a good bet).

However, setting any settings through the console will disable Steam achievements.

I haven't found any way to set it permanently, yet. =\

Thanks will try that, don't care for achievements.

undecided

Do all physical copies come with the map or is it just certain stores/preorders like Battlefield 3?

Edit: The answer seems to be paper map included with all copies, "premium" map included with pre-orders (which is probably all of the first run printings?)

Jibbed

eosos said:
I think I'm going to die. I press the .exe and it needs d2dx9_42.dll. Also the steam shortcut doesnt work.

If the sound thing doesn't work (that did it for me), validate the game files using steam. If anything's missing, it will be downloaded.

Zeliard

Wallach said:
After my first hour, I don't mind the UI at all. Like I figured, you don't really need to pay attention to where the cursor is; I just navigate with WASD (using A/D to page left or right) and you can click LMB/RMB and perform the highlighted action regardless of where the cursor is. I don't even pay attention to where the cursor is in the menus.

It's a lot less annoying to me than Oblivion's default UI on PC where you you basically have to do everything with the cursor.

Anyway I'm only out of the starting dungeon. Breton's start with the Conjure Familiar spell, which is bad ass; right out of the gates I'm rocking a giant ethereal wolf. Magic feels bad ass in this game.

Yeah the UI is decent. Can't say I'm a fan of the way gear isn't grouped, but stuff like the favorites menu and hotkeying seem to work well. Switching between different types of 2H magic and 1H magic/1H melee and such seems responsive enough.

Not that I won't install the first solid UI mod that comes along.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zeliard said:
Yeah the UI is decent. Can't say I'm a fan of the way gear isn't grouped, but stuff like the favorites menu and hotkeying seem to work well. Switching between different types of 2H magic and 1H magic/1H melee and such seems responsive enough.

The problem is needing to pause the game to switch weapons. This is very annoying for a thief/archer or someone who wants to cast spells and use a sword and board.

Home

Liking the game so far, except for the fact that every piece of wildlife in all of Skyrim has it out for my damn horse. Seriously WTF.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
The problem is needing to pause the game to switch weapons. This is very annoying for a thief/archer or someone who wants to cast spells and use a sword and board.

Yeah, for some reason when I hotkey something in the favorites menu, the hotkey setting disappears after using it once. Really annoying.

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:

You can hotkey weapons to 0-9.

Wallach

TheExodu5 said:

You can assign hotkeys while the favorites thing is open. Just pull up favorites, pick whatever thing and press the hotkey to stick it to (1-8 on numrow).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm actually kind of underwhelmed, and the flaky mouse controls aren't helping. Time for bed, after 45 minutes of meh.

Hope they add a PC interface at some point.

Ruken

Banned
So I bought the disk, clicked install, said steam servers were too busy, then it starts downloading the entire fucking game instead of installing from the disk.

I hit 'reinstall' and it starts validating files but now it says it's 100% done with that but it clearly says "validating steam cache files 0 of 1" and the window won't close. AND it's still DOWNLOADING the entire fucking game. RAGEEEEE

EDIT:
Nevermind, other people are having this problem and saying you need to uninstall it before you can install it. Really Bethesda?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow.

I was fine with the mouse and keyboard controls for the first hour, but I just plugged in my 360 controller and it feels extremely good. There is a bit of janky pop-in if you jerk your mouse around quickly, so the slower movement of the right-stick will eliminate that. I think I'm going to play with the 360 pad for now.

Switching over to the big screen TV now, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom