• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

nickbreckon said:
Try requipping your weapon and/or gloves.
Hmm that seemed to work after I walked in and out of a load screen.

Very very strange.

I really hope this doesn't impede on my enjoyment of the game later on.

I appreciate the quick response though and hopefully you guys are working on it.

spirity

Vire said:
Hmm that seemed to work after I walked in and out of a load screen.

Very very strange.

I really hope this doesn't impede on my enjoyment of the game later on.

I appreciate the quick response though and hopefully you guys are working on it.

Out of interest, is it the 360 slim?

Xena

bloodforge said:
Loving the game so far, and the characters look so much better than the last game.
Hahaha definitely! I'm not scared anymore of looking into their faces... Oblivion was a pain on this aspect, lol.

Gvaz said:
Again, because it's a console port.

Low FOV works if you're far away from the screen, but arms length on 1080p+? It's too shallow.

also
Kj9fj.jpg

I can't believe how true this ended up being... The entire interface favors a controller, what is the point of forcing the WASD keys instead of pure mouse interface. It feels perfect on the 360 pad, K/M not so much.

Overall though, playing on Ultra @ 1080p on the i7/580/8GB, and very few performance issues and glitches, so far. I'm also not a fan of the opening either, too damn slow and just boring, I don't even want to imagine suffering through that on repeated playthroughs...

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
Were you using bow and dagger? Other weapons sheathe for me...the problem just reproduces itself with bow and dagger.

Hm, I just tried a hunting bow and steel dagger on hotkeys 1 & 2 and it also worked fine. Seems odd, I hope the issue doesn't crop up with other weapon/magic combos.

Reuenthal

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
Once again, anyone know how to equip Night Eye on the Khajiit?

You will find it at Magic Menu, and select it there. You can put it in your favorites with F if I recall correctly and use Q to equip it without having to enter the magic screen.

Press Z to activate it.

Aesius

Aesius said:
WTF! Game auto detects to High settings and 1080p, and I'm getting 3-4 FPS on the opening scene. WTF WTF WTF!

AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3.4 ghz
ATI 4850 512 MB
4GB DDR2 RAM

WTF WTF

I'm an absolute tard. Turns out 8x AA was being forced through the ATI settings. Turned that shit off and now performance is great. 40-50 FPS outdoors and locked at 60 FPS indoors.

BTW, this game......is fucking magical. That's really the only way I can describe it. I was just sitting there playing with a huge smile on my face. Have to go to bed now to rest up so I can play ALL day tomorrow! woohoo!

One thing though -- is it just me, or is the game really fucking easy, even on the "normal" difficulty level? I'm just flat out slaughtering people without even bothering to block at all. Basically just hack and slashing everyone, and I haven't even come close to dying. Should I raise the difficulty or does shit get real later on?

Derrick01

Banned
Already put 2 hours in and I've just kinda started poking around that first village right near the starting point. Game's addictive as hell, I'm feeling a goty here.

Volimar

Mothman91 said:
Stumbled upon some giants... yeah.... don't try lol.

I wonder if them shooting you up into the sky is intended or really a bug. I'd love if that was what they had in mind.

"I'll just shoot this giant her-.....AAARRGGHHICANSEEMYHOUSEFROMHEEEEEERRRREEEEE!"

Vire

I don't want to sound overly negative from my previous posts because I'm absolutely enjoying the game. Beautiful when it loads in properly...

And the soundtrack is magnificent.

Gvaz

Banned
Wallach said:
Sorry, but I think compared to the Oblivion UI this is quite a lot easier to navigate. I'm an old emacs type guy though, I don't think it's a viewpoint you're going to understand. Hopefully a modder comes along and fashions something quickly for folks that aren't happy with it when the construction kit lands; I'm sure that is the first thing on order for most.

Personally I'm more concerned with the strange mouse movement. It's not as bad as I was expecting, but there's still weirdness on the vertical axis, even when the framerate is locked to 60.

Yeah no I'm a gedit guy, fuck emacs and vi and pico forever.

Big Ass Ramp said:
How do I sell stolen stuff

Find a fence or invest in speech

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Is anyone playing as a 100% magician? I'm curious to know if they handled magic well in this game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Reuenthal said:
You will find it at Magic Menu, and select it there. You can put it in your favorites with F if I recall correctly and use Q to equip it without having to enter the magic screen.

Press Z to activate it.

Oh! That's what I was missing.

So:

Just got out of the intro area and while I was totally impressed with my performance in there, mostly a solid 50-60fps, as soon as I stepped out... sub-5fps. Weird. :( Anybody know what I should start tweaking down first for minimal visual impact? 8xAA looks soooo good, I wanna keep it.

Game is obviously incredible. Zeliard and I are of like mind- set the game to Master difficulty before your first encounter and you won't regret it.

My thoughts:
-Keyboard and mouse aren't as bad as I expected, but I will be wanting to switch to a 360 pad. I might wait it out til my adapter arrives rather than jury-rig a solution with my existing pc pad though. Mouse wheel works for the favorites menu, which is the most important thing of all.
-The subtle ways the intro areas invite you to try different playstyles are VERY clever, considering the game doesn't ask you anything about classes or starting gear. Soon after despairing that the game was gonna make me sword n' shield it through the intro, I found a dagger and equipped healing in my offhand... thus my career as a nightblade was begun. Won't be touching a shield again for the rest of the game.
-Combat is WAY improved over Oblivion. It just feels more natural, and, dare I say it- fun. Haven't seen any finishing moves yet, but it just feels better all-around.
-I don't know how veterans feel about the way magic is equipped and used in Oblivion, but it sort of feels like a joke to me after 5 minutes with this game. Equipping a spell in your offhand and using it mid-battle becomes second nature by the third time you do it.
-Love the favorites system as I expected I would. Keeping that list short is going to be the tricky part.
-How do I take screenshots easily? The game at its best is seriously gorgeous, not just serviceable.

Can't wait to explore the increeeeedibly open world you see upon stepping out. Gonna try and finish this dumbass project, get some snacks and port and stay up all night.

If only I didn't have to tweak my settings down...

Yoshichan said:
Is anyone playing as a 100% magician? I'm curious to know if they handled magic well in this game.
They did. I never, ever, ever go pure mage in any game, but this is the first one that ever had me considering it just because of how sweet it is.

I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet because my bitch ass whore of a roommate is using the good TV. Fuck her. :( Go to bed already you fucking bitch.

Fjordson

Antagon said:
Guilds in this game see to be so much better done then in the previous games. They've got so much more character.
What I've encountered so far is great. Especially the Companions guild. So good.

Yoshichan said:
I'm not a pure magic user (sword and board at times) but destruction magic is probably the best shit in the game right now. Or at least it's up there. Satisfying and powerful.

TheExodu5

Banned
Zeliard said:
Hm, I just tried a hunting bow and steel dagger on hotkeys 1 & 2 and it also worked fine. Seems odd, I hope the issue doesn't crop up with other weapon/magic combos.

I found out what the problem was: I had Longbow (2). If you have more than one weapon of the type you have equipped, then it will have that problem. I dropped one of my Longbows and it's fine now.

Gvaz

Banned
The X axis sensitivity is almost double that of the y axis sensitivity, apparently.

Also the PC version, you know how you can't rotate items? You know how to fix that right? All you have to do is plug in your controller! hahahahaha

Antagon

Yoshichan said:
Depends on what you call 100%. I do use some melee, but only with conjured weapons. Outside of that it's mainly conjuration, illusion and alteration spells. Used some destruction at the start as well and it seems fine, but I like my current playing style. Overall, magic seems great. I still die easily from stronger versions of enemies, but that should be over when I get some more spells. Right now I'd say it's definitely viable and fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aesius said:
One thing though -- is it just me, or is the game really fucking easy, even on the "normal" difficulty level? I'm just flat out slaughtering people without even bothering to block at all. Basically just hack and slashing everyone, and I haven't even come close to dying. Should I raise the difficulty or does shit get real later on?
Go master and never look back.

Gvaz said:
Also the PC version, you know how you can't rotate items? You know how to fix that right? All you have to do is plug in your controller! hahahahaha
What's this now?

Zeliard

TheExodu5 said:
I found out what the problem was: I had Longbow (2). If you have more than one weapon of the type you have equipped, then it will have that problem. I dropped one of my Longbows and it's fine now.

Oh very strange. Hopefully that's something that will see a fix. Good to know about it though.

Mothman91

Yoshichan said:
Yep, for my first char. Will probably make an assassin or a melee fighter second. Magic is pretty good, just my magic bar runs down fast because of me spamming both fire spells on both hands.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mothman91 said:
Yep, for my first char. Will probably make an assassin or a melee fighter second. Magic is pretty good, just my magic bar runs down fast because of me spamming both fire spells on both hands.
How do you regenerate mana now again? :eek:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For those that are on PC.

Don't use this

qotd631-led-mice-3.jpg

Use this

Xbox360wired_controller.jpg

It makes the game a lot more enjoyable and you'll be playing it as the devs intended it to be played.

Zeliard

Gvaz said:
The X axis sensitivity is almost double that of the y axis sensitivity, apparently.

In the inventory? You hold mouse1 on the item and drag your mouse. :p

Mothman91

Yoshichan said:
Found some robes, part of my active effects. "Novice robes: Magicka regenrates 50% faster."
And that's only 2 pieces of clothing, the rest are a bit more tuned to melee fighters. Need to find more clothing for mages...

Arment

TheExodu5 said:
So, is there some funkiness to the skill/leveling system? Do I max out on skills? Should I refrain from leveling certain skills? Should I refrain from leveling too much?

I'd like to know this as well. I did some persuasion speech options a couple times in a row and bam I'm leveled. It's definitely not as controllable as Oblivion's leveling. Is there a secret or technique to getting the most out of each level?

Antagon

Yoshichan said:
It regenerates when you're not fighting it seems, also during fights if you're not casting/attacking, etc. Regeneration is fast as hell for me, but I'm a high elf and am using robes that increase magicka regeneration as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
JumpingTheGun said:
they fucking NAILED the soundtrack. dat perfect ethereal yet haunting fantasy epic sound
Can't believe I forgot to mention this. It is flawless, indeed.

Zeliard said:
In the inventory? You hold mouse1 on the item and drag your mouse. :p
Yup.

Yoshichan

Sounds great, thanks!

Blackface

Banned
So explain what type of characters you have and how they are working. I still have no idea what I should play, and I played for 9 hours already.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
walk into great lords hall.
walk out with great lords silverware.

kleptomania: the game.

Its odd how everyone you talk to wants to help you start up as a mage but i still dont know what exactly i need. -_- need to pay more attention.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Playing on PC, 360 gamepad.

Game plays like a dream, no glitches so far.

As a huge elder scrolls fan, this game is taking the cake for me. GOTY is almost certain for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom