• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wallach said:
Fuck yeah, man. So much god damn better than what you could make in any other TES game.

http://i.imgur.com/XxbZB.jpg

dark elves look kinda scary in this game, but I'm still liking my character so far

mydunmeri1c3l.jpg

If every side quest is like the one the trader gives you in the first town.. Holy fucking shit. The world is just so alive, more so than any game I have ever played. Played for 2-3 hours, off to bed so I can play all day tomorrow.

Wallach

Skirn said:
Is that a Nord mage? Badass. Might just roll one myself, too.

Nah he's a Breton. Fuckin' love Bretons man, they were made for how I play.

@Snuggler - god damn you're right, Dunmer look mean in Skyrim. The eyes are crazy, reminds me of Morrowind.

Just woke up ( a little bit later then I wanted too) and I'm installing it now. Why does it take 19 minutes to install from the disk...?

Oh well. Still don't know if I want to go pure mage or 2-h warrior. Decisions, decisions.

Enco

leng jai said:
Anyone playing in third person? In every other Bethesda game its been a complete jankfest but I'm enjoying it a lot more in Skyrim.

Is it just me or does simply walking in third person view look ultimate bad ass in this game?
From the videos I've seen it looks better but still unplayable and awful. So ugly.

Fjordson

Snuggler said:
dark elves look kinda scary in this game, but I'm still liking my character so far
I agree. This isn't really the right term, but every Dunmer character I came up with was kind of "spooky". Don't know how else to describe it.

They look super interesting, though. So much better than Oblivion.

leng jai said:
Anyone playing in third person? In every other Bethesda game its been a complete jankfest but I'm enjoying it a lot more in Skyrim.

Is it just me or does simply walking in third person view look ultimate bad ass in this game?
It's surprisingly good. Though for the more taxing fights I still prefer first person. Love that there's more of an excuse to check out your bad ass armor now, though.

Also using third person cam on the bloody spiders because they make me squirm up close =/

Darkkn

As someone who couldn't get into Oblivion, i'm loving the shit out of this game. It's so much more atmospheric and enthralling world to be in. Did my first dungeon and it was strangely exciting and had a proper sense of adventure, hopefully the wonder doesn't dissapate further on in the game.

Game also looks very nice in motion(did some tweaks to prefs .ini) and even the character models and lipsyncing is perfectly fine this time around :)

Barakov

Just played for about 3 hours. Just dealt with my
first dragon
. Game is gorgeous, despite having its' fair share of ugly textures. Haven't had any issue with keyboard and mouse controls. I only had one crash to the desktop, I loaded the game up again and kept on going. On PC the load times are quick. You barely have time to rotate the models that show up. The only downside is that I don't have all the time I want to play this game.

wwm0nkey

Anyone else getting random purple meshes near dragons? my first 2 fights with dragons and they had no textures which was disappointing :(

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fjordson said:
I agree. This isn't really the right term, but every Dunmer character I came up with was kind of "spooky". Don't know how else to describe it.

They look super interesting, though. So much better than Oblivion.

Yeah, and I like that the NPC in the intro recognized that I was from Morrowind, being a Dark Elf and all. This is super nerdy, but I have this imagined lineage that follows my dark elves across Morrowind, Oblivion, and now Skyrim.

Arment said:
I rolled a Dark Elf to play a assassin/mage type character. So far I've been rolling with a sword and magic spell combo. I also use a bow to initiate or get distance sneak kills.

I have a hard time sometimes, especially since you can't block* while wielding a spell and sword. I've been mixing it up when it comes to leveling health magicka and endurance.

My perks have been going into light armor, one handed weapons, sneak, and destruction.

I crafted some leather armor and tempered it. Once I did that I was a lot more durable.
I rolled a Khajiit expecting to go for a stealth character and I ended up fucking loving the magic so much that I'm now going the mage route, and I've NEVER played a mage before in a TES game. Usually the interface is so clunky and unintuitive that I just don't even bother doing anything but playing a sword and board warrior, but I actually really like the list based menu and favorites system, and this is on PC where everyone said it was horrible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
krameriffic said:
I rolled a Khajiit expecting to go for a stealth character and I ended up fucking loving the magic so much that I'm now going the mage route, and I've NEVER played a mage before in a TES game. Usually the interface is so clunky and unintuitive that I just don't even bother doing anything but playing a sword and board warrior, but I actually really like the list based menu and favorites system, and this is on PC where everyone said it was horrible.
I'm a steathly Khajiit too, and I know exactly how you feel. The magic is reallllly done right. Depending on how advanced it gets I may focus more on it than I intended to, though the stealth perk tree looks amazing to me.

Fjordson

Snuggler said:
Yeah, and I like that the NPC in the intro said I was from Morrowind. This is super nerdy, but I have this imagined lineage that follows my dark elves across Morrowind, Oblivion, and now Skyrim.
Haha, yes. Acknowledging what race you chose was a nice touch.

Balehead

Redguard shield+sword here, my dude is one of the preset ones and looks damn good. The game is very easy on the default setting, though. Gotta change it soon cause there's no morrowind feeling with this. And the bloom effect is terrible, really terrible. PC on ultra.

Teknoman

Still downloading, but if you're using a 1h weapon + shield, and decide to cast a destruction class spell, do you use your right hand to cast it while holding the weapon, or do you have to put away your weapon in order to cast with at least one hand?

Antagon

The world in this game is so much better then Oblivion, it's amazing. There's just so much flavor to the graphics, NPC's, guilds, etc. It seems relatively stable to me as well, outside of some animal walking into a fench, a mammoth taking a ride on another mammoths back and a shadow glitch at a campfire I haven't seen any glitches. Nothing close to gamebreaking at least.

Also like that you can get recipes for potions so you can start brewing stuff even if your skills are too low to see what the properties of ingredients are. And treasure maps.

Wallach

zlatko said:
Silly question, but how do you go into third person on PC?

Either just scroll out with the scroll wheel, or hit F to instantly switch back and forth.

Teknoman said:
Still downloading, but if you're using a 1h weapon + shield, and decide to cast a destruction class spell, do you use your right hand to cast it while holding the weapon, or do you have to put away your weapon in order to cast with at least one hand?

To cast a Destruction spell you would have to swap one of your hands (either one) out for the spell before you cast it.

Edit - Actually I don't know if you can cast spells with a shield equipped. You might be forced to swap the shield out in that case?

Clevinger

Man, taking out a hawk way up in the sky with an arrow is satisfying.
And then ripping off its wings and beak.

Teknoman said:

You'll put away either your sword or shield.

Guess I am the only weird one, using a orc with high magic and light armor, trying to make him a assassin mage, I love the double damage thing they get plus orcs actually look good this time around.

Sotha Sil

Snuggler said:
Yeah, and I like that the NPC in the intro recognized that I was from Morrowind, being a Dark Elf and all. This is super nerdy, but I have this imagined lineage that follows my dark elves across Morrowind, Oblivion, and now Skyrim.

Me too. It doesn't get nerdier than this.

Arjen

leng jai said:

I'm doing everything but combat in 3rd person, i agree, it looks pretty good.

Loxley

Man...enough cannot be said about the soundtrack for Skyrim, I'm only about five hours in but literally every track thus far has been amazing. I've found myself stopping, looking at the beautiful scenery and listening to the music countless times. My point is that the music has been so good that at times it's actually distracting.

So glad I've got the four-disc soundtrack pre-ordered :)

Fjordson

Teknoman said:
You put the weapon away to cast the spell. Switching stuff in and out of both hands is a breeze, though.

zlatko

Banned
Thanks for the heads up on how to play TPS.

Going to jump into the game again. *crosses fingers to not get motion sick now with new FOV settings and playing in third person*

K.Sabot said:
OLn4N.png

So I'm roleplaying as the 1500 year old ancestor of my Fem Shep.

Ms. Red the Sheppard

Wow, you got that pretty damn close.

Otherwise, I'm thinking it would be fun to roll a battle-mage. Medium or Heavy armor wearer that wields magic. Sort of Fullmetal Alchemist style. If anyone knows how viable this is (or has tried it) let me know!

Fjordson said:
You put the weapon away to cast the spell. Switching stuff in and out of both hands is a breeze, though.
Or the shield. I usually keep my weapon out at all times during combat.

JumpingTheGun said:
Once again, anyone know how to equip Night Eye on the Khajiit?
Activate it in the 'powers'-tab of the menu's 'magic'-section. Maybe favorite it, make it easier.
Then either hotkey it or, if you're playing with a controller, equip it and press RB, like you would for a shout.

FGMPR

Banned
My guy has had an arrow in his head for the past 3 hours. Will resting get rid of it or is he doomed to walk the land of Skyrim for the next 200 or so hours with this unfortunate look?

BAE0F34193D5E28FF5B986DF0A15FD75B879FA11

Clevinger

zlatko said:
Thanks for the heads up on how to play TPS.

Going to jump into the game again. *crosses fingers to not get motion sick now with new FOV settings and playing in third person*

Besides FOV settings, you should try and buy some ginger pills. Ginger is pretty good at treating and preventing motion sickness.

FGMPR said:
My guy has had an arrow in his head for the past 3 hours. Will resting get rid of it or is he doomed to walk the land of Skyrim for the next 200 or so hours with this unfortunate look?

A Bethesda employee said something about you being able to sell the arrow. If that doesn't work, try to get hit by another arrow. (yeah, I know it doesn't make sense)

So...

During the character creation screen I accidentally fucked up and named my character a. Usually in these games there's a point where it asks you "Are you sure?"

But that didn't happen this time. Is there a way to go back and change it without restarting the god damn game? Already I'm kind of pissed they don't allow you more character creation options from the start. No birthsign, no tagged skills? .... :(

But yah. What's the deal? Do I have to start again? Really don't wanna have to do that since I spent a lot of time creating my character.

By the way, am I the only one that thinks longswords look kinda... short in first person view? I mean, they look like actual longswords in third person, but I keep getting the feeling that I'm wielding a shortsword during first-person view.

Clevinger said:
A Bethesda employee said something about you being able to sell the arrow. If that doesn't work, try to get hit by another arrow. (yeah, I know it doesn't make sense)
It goes away eventually. I had ice shards sticking out of me for an entire evening that just wouldn't go away, but when I loaded up the game in the morning they were gone.

Ducky_McGee said:
So...

During the character creation screen I accidentally fucked up and named my character a. Usually in these games there's a point where it asks you "Are you sure?"

But that didn't happen this time. Is there a way to go back and change it without restarting the god damn game? Already I'm kind of pissed they don't allow you more character creation options from the start. No birthsign, no tagged skills? .... :(

But yah. What's the deal? Do I have to start again? Really don't wanna have to do that since I spent a lot of time creating my character.
If you're playing on PC, I bet there's a console command to change your character's name. If not, then you're out of luck, pal, sorry.

Birthsigns are still in, you just need to look for 'em. My character has the blessing of the Lady.

Wallach

FGMPR said:

Breckon said this was getting fixed soon, but that there were still a couple work-arounds. Either getting shot with another arrow, or I think actually selling it because it currently counts as being in your inventory. Being all up in your face region and all. Good thing you had that helmet.

Wallach

_tetsuo_ said:
My friend cant get te game to run. Crashes at splash screen everytime.

Control Panel -> Sound -> Active playback device (green check mark) -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Default format -> set to 24 bit, 48000 Hz. Should fix that.

Loxley

Here's my bearded, face-tattoo'd, mohawked Bosmer (apologies for the crappy quality, I'm running the game at med-high settings with AA and Anisotrophic filtering off).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom