• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent absolutely no time making my character, I am pretty much the default Nord male the game starts you off as. Why bother spending an hour on tuning how my character looks when it's going to be covered in armor the moment I acquire it.

385F519C70C696CA938F25360B781AF4809B041D

M'aiq is always in search of calipers, yet he finds none. Where could they have gone?

My dog is currently stuck near a rock, and I can't get him out. Whoops, nevermind, he made his own way out. Good boy.

Wallach

Ducky_McGee said:
So...

During the character creation screen I accidentally fucked up and named my character a. Usually in these games there's a point where it asks you "Are you sure?"

But that didn't happen this time. Is there a way to go back and change it without restarting the god damn game? Already I'm kind of pissed they don't allow you more character creation options from the start. No birthsign, no tagged skills? .... :(

But yah. What's the deal? Do I have to start again? Really don't wanna have to do that since I spent a lot of time creating my character.

Well, if you aren't willing to start over, you could try using the console. Two things of note: doing so might disable achievements on that character, and I don't know if it will "reset" your character like it sometimes did in Oblivion (so you'd revert to level 1). If you're still level 1 it probably doesn't matter but I'd make a backup save.

Anyway, if you're willing, try opening up the console in-game (with ~ key) and typing ShowRaceMenu and hitting enter. Can't say for sure whether it will still have your character in there or if it just flops back to default, or if that command even still works. Worth a shot though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As nice as that shot looks, I cannot stress even how much this game has exceeded my expectations graphically- at 1080p, Ultra settings with 8xAA it can be pretty breathtaking. I don't have an easy way to take screenshots of fullscreen settings. General performance is great too. If not for this weird glitch where the framerate drops to an unplayable state totally sporadically it'd be blowing me away with how optimized it is out of the box. I hope this is patched or I can figure out what's causing it.

Nonetheless, this game is obviously of an insanely high calibur. Jumping around ninja style to kill bandits and earn my first level was all it took for me to know that I'll be spending hundreds of hours in this world.

Combine

Banned
Man, I just love the character creator. Got my roided up Lizard ready to go and kick some ass. Maybe it's just me, but the Argonians kind of look silly in regular imperial clothing and armor, so I took em off for the screengrab.

0yq33.jpg

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
It's unlocked on Steam for the last few hours, going to try it now. We'll see if it lives up to all the hype that the media has built around it with the insane scores.

p3tran

Banned
I really cant believe whats happening in greece!
skyrim for 360 will not be imported by the central distributor until the 18th the least!!

Anybody with a link for me to buy from UK and ship immediatly to Greece will be greatly appreciated.

gilljoy

p3tran said:
skyrim for 360 will not be imported by the central distributor until the 18th the least!!

Anybody with a link for me to buy from UK and ship immediatly to Greece will be greatly appreciated.

Try shopto there pretty damn good

Naeblish

Played a few hours yesterday (pc), and it was fucking awesome. I was skeptical but the game is heaps of fun. I really hope it stays that way because i had no desire playing oblivion after finishing the main quest.

Also, i freaking love the interface on the pc. At first i was WTF no mouse controls? Now i'm like tab -> double tap w or d -> asdw zoof zoof done.

FGMPR

Banned
p3tran said:

No wonder they're rioting

Wallach said:
Control Panel -> Sound -> Active playback device (green check mark) -> Properties -> Advanced tab -> Default format -> set to 24 bit, 48000 Hz. Should fix that.

Thank you. I've been asking forever.

EDIT: Nope, still nada.

SteveWD40

Played 3 hours last night, bit sleepy now but impressions:

1. Bloody well optimised imho, my Toshiba Satellite with a core i5 and 5650m and it flys on high.

2. It's still, texture wise, Gamebryo but the art design, characters and details are miles away from Oblivion.

3. BLEAK FALLS BARROW!
I only hope that all the hand crafted dungeons are even half this good

4. The UI does need fixing for PC, it's not Oblivion bad but it's not great either, still playable though.

5. It's not easy on Adept, I had to run away from at least one bad guy.

6. How do shouts work? Got one and it's selected in faves and I push Z and nada...

7. Character creator is great, faded warpaint, scars, glass / blind eye etc... <3

Overall, fucking amazing.

SteveWD40 said:
Played 3 hours last night, bit sleepy now but impressions:

1. Bloody well optimised imho, my Toshiba Satellite with a core i5 and 5650m and it flys on high.

2. It's still, texture wise, Gamebryo but the art design, characters and details are miles away from Oblivion.

3. BLEAK FALLS BARROW!
I only hope that all the hand crafted dungeons are even half this good

4. The UI does need fixing for PC, it's not Oblivion bad but it's not great either, still playable though.

5. It's not easy on Adept, I had to run away from at least one bad guy.

6. How do shouts work? Got one and it's selected in faves and I push Z and nada...

7. Character creator is great, faded warpaint, scars, glass / blind eye etc... <3

Overall, fucking amazing.

You need a dragon's soul to use shouts. You'll find one very soon. :)

Darkkn

So i rolled a melee race in character creator and i'm wondering, will it be viable to be mainly a melee dude, but also be effective magic and bow skills? Or is this series where it's a huge mistake to be a bit of jack of all trades?

Einbroch

Banned
Stealth is incredibly rewarding in this game. Hard, but dammit it's awesome when you one-shot an enemy, someone else comes to check it out so you duck into the shadows. Then you sneak up on that guy and one-shot him.

So good.

Darkkn said:
So i rolled a melee race in character creator and i'm wondering, will it be viable to be mainly a melee dude, but also be effective magic and bow skills? Or is this series where it's a huge mistake to be a bit of jack of all trades?

You can easily go melee + destruction or melee + conjuration. You'll have plenty of points. Truly being a jack of all trades is not feasible, but you're never really locked into one path.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, there are a TON of small touches that show how much thought they put into the world. The loot that happens to be on any given NPC or monster is always clever. And I love the motivation it gives you when bandits are racist. "My friend had a sick cat like you... I killed that one too!" *STAB STAB STAB*

Darkkn said:
I'm not that far in, but... you can seriously do whatever you want.

Wallach

Darkkn said:

Well, in this game being a jack of all trades is going to appropriately also make you a master of none. By spreading out which skills you're increasing, you're not only going to have skill perks spread out across more skills, but it's going to take longer to get individual skills to higher levels to get some of the high rank perks. Ultimately you can use a lot of different skills and be pretty well off, but I think when it comes to perks it's going to pay off less to spread them out.

Ketch

Fantastic game, really awesome.

Made an Orc modeled after Conan... 2 handed greatsword, bow, light armor and sneaky. Pretty fun so far, get a stealth kill in or two and then go balls to wall smashing dudes.

Up to level 10, did the first couple missions for the companions and killed my first dragon.

Already lvl 10, got some elven armor and a frost enchanted two hander. I had to turn the difficulty up one notch because it just felt like my health was regening waaaay to fast and I was never needing my potions... but now I'm thinking I may need to turn it back down to normal because I'm kind of at a road block. The difficulty is seems to be jumping around quite a bit. I don't mind it because I know I just need to level up (and get fire breath shout) and that those damn trolls in the troll cave are gonna feel my wrath.

Now for some spoilers regarding early companion guild story line and treasure hunting.

Fucking werewolfs! I want to rush through the companion guild and turn into one already. And the treasure that was in the first chest I found with a map was lame as shit... I can't even remember what was in it... some vendor trash.

CozMick

Banned
JumpingTheGun said:
PS3 version is beautiful and has been fucking flawless for me so far. Level 5 and have been playing since midnight.

Fuck yes! going to get my copy after I've finished this cuppa :)

Darkkn said:
I've been doing a bit of everything, even though I'm only investing in one-handed combat skills. I have a bow with me at all times to pelt higher level enemies from afar, and often use magic too.

thechemist

p3tran said:

As someone said shopto are prob best bet!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
so is there any in-depth 360 version vs PS3 version details yet from anyone?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Arlecchino said:
Cranking the FoV up to 400 and attempting to play this is the most fun I've had playing a video game in a long time.
Screenshot!

Darkkn said:

I'd assume it's best to break your playstyle down into a primary and secondary rolls, then build accordingly. (which seems to be what you're doing. I'll be doing something similar).

Being a jack of all trades is fine, but I think it's harder overall since you're somewhat limited to what abilities you can have at hand at a single time. Illusion spells might be beneficial since it allows you to control the battlefield, giving you time to change playstyles.

the nice thing about the series is the freedom to play however you like.

Arcipello

blah anyone on PC having crash issues??? i had one last night as i was going through the first dungeon area, hope it was just a fluke!

OTIX

Darkkn said:
Don't try to optimise your character, the game will become far too easy. Just do whatever seems the most fun at the moment.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Dutch Slayer said:

L - O - L

Holy shit that's hilarious.

This game is insanely good from my first 4 hour session. I got absolutely nothing accomplished! Ran into a few caves, found a bandit hideout that led all the way to the top of a mountain where a single guy was waiting on top of the cliffs. So I shot him in the head with an arrow and made his body fly off the mountain top!

Also, for a bethesda game, I'm shocked I haven't seen any bugs yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom