• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheExodu5 said:
I don't care what people say about the textures...this is a fantastic looking game.

Yup. Up close, stuff looks pretty ugly (not quite RAGE bad, though), but goddamn if there aren't some incredible scenes in this game. The first optional dungeon had some really amazing looking areas. I love the art direction in this game. It runs perfectly smooth on my PC, too.

Anyway, time for me to call it a night. I just spent the last 4 hours immersed in Skyrim! I'm level 5 now and just made it to the first large town. I've already had some really fun adventures just roaming the countryside. So far, it's much easier to feel immersed in the world than any previous Elder Scrolls game. So good...

Oh, and the music is absolutely fantastic. Really adds to the atmosphere.

Gorgon

Went for a cigarret on the balcony just now, came back in, and the game was on my doorstep! MUAHAHAHHA!

See you later guys!

EDIT: PS3 version here.

_woLf

Game runs great on my pc. Only thing I don't like is how all the character creation options had my character looking 35+ with wrinkles on their forehead....is that intentional? Or was it just my Breton?

Wow, made a Wood Elf dude... got him to level 6. Four and a half hours and haven't even touched the main quest - actually, I've only done one single quest in the first town
the quest to help the shopkeeper get his golden claw back, lead to a really fun dungeon romp where I was killing tons of undead - ended up learning my first shout at the end
. Afterwards I ran around a while and was experimenting with the crafting stuff - I had been selling all my nuggets and hides not knowing I could convert them to metals and leather. It's very cool having all these crafting stations around the town; grinders, blacksmiths, leather tanners, workbenches, I don't understand the point of the log cutter but it works pretty cool :D

Anyways, having tried not to spoil myself before the game came out I had no idea the skill system was going to be so drastically different. I actually thought you still chose major/minor skills at the beginning like in the old game and was surprised it was totally free-form now. I'm trying to focus my Wood Elf down Archery/1H plus Alteration and Illusion but I'm getting a lot of level ups thanks to Blocking and Light Armor that I wasn't really planning on.

Couple of gripes:

- The menu controls really suck with the mouse/keyboard. Great with the Xbox controller but I much prefer a mouse for actual gameplay.

- Uh... maybe I'm missing it but I can't find any Character Status. I mean, I buff myself with Alteration, but there's no way to read how it effected me or how much longer it'll last.

- No way to hot key items that I'm aware. The Favorite thing works (nice for the controller) but it could be much more eloquently down with keys on a keyboard.

- If you switch from 1h/shield to spell/shield your character sheaths the shield temporarily instead of just swapping the right hand. Makes blocking really hard when trying to weave spells into melee combat.

god damn i'm having a good time with this game, and i was not a fan of oblivion.

btw, is there a way to change appearance without restarting from the beginning?

bigboss370 said:
god damn i'm having a good time with this game, and i was not a fan of oblivion.

btw, is there a way to change appearance without restarting from the beginning?

No, it's permanent.

Mods could be used later on though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Big Ass Ramp said:
I too want to know. Please tell me where they are so I may join them!
Is it like Oblivion where you just kill a man and they show up perhaps?

Wallach

Houston3000 said:
- Uh... maybe I'm missing it but I can't find any Character Status. I mean, I buff myself with Alteration, but there's no way to read how it effected me or how much longer it'll last.

This is under the Magic tab, Active Effects.

Houston3000 said:
- No way to hot key items that I'm aware. The Favorite thing works (nice for the controller) but it could be much more eloquently down with keys on a keyboard.

You do this from the Favorites menu. Once you put whatever you want in Favorites, pull it up (default Q), highlight the thing you want to hotkey, then press the key you want to hotkey it to (1-8 num row are the only valid hotkeys that I know of).

Ugh, at least oblivion had a final chance to change everything after the first dungeon, so you could make a savegame there. Why doesnt Skyrim have that? Not like i would ever want to replay that escape from the dragon part again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mmmm.

Found a beautiful little waterlogged dungeon near the start that I am obvious not able to take at level 2. Got my ass handed to me by some necromancers and I loved the feeling of "I can't wait to come back and take this place apart." I really have to believe the game is best enjoyed on Master difficulty. The thought that I could just tone the slider down and clear this place out is almost depressing- won't be touching it.

So I'm gonna be mostly dual-wielding daggers and using minor magic to augment my stealth and heal. Can't wait to get my hands on some decent gear.

Naito

Big Ass Ramp said:
I too want to know. Please tell me where they are so I may join them!

Check here.

On a side note, do you receive the black leather armor of the thief guild once you join them?
I find the Dark Brotherhood set is a bit silly, seems a Robin's suit.

Timber

Blue Ninja said:
They tried to kill me twice.
Yah they sent an assassin after me. No idea what I did to anger them.

I even killed that prophet of Talos in Whiterun hoping they'd be impressed :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Forgot to mention- The X360 Controller Emu solution works perfectly with this game, so if you have a generic Dual Shock 2/X360-style gamepad and want the shiny 360 pad experience- which I admit is better than mouse and keyboard even if aiming with a bow is tougher :p - you can do it quite easily.

Wallach said:
This is under the Magic tab, Active Effects.

You do this from the Favorites menu. Once you put whatever you want in Favorites, pull it up (default Q), highlight the thing you want to hotkey, then press the key you want to hotkey it to (1-8 num row are the only valid hotkeys that I know of).
You're a beautiful man. Thank you! Getting to that Active Effects menu is a little annoying, I guess pressing P and then down a few times is the fastest way.

Darako - Level 6 Bosmer
OMRLT.jpg

BTW, this game looks real good... and I'm only playing on "High" settings

XeroSauce

Just started this game...got the the end of the tutorial and said goodbye to Rafor or however you spell his name...the VA is already so much better.

I saved on top of a mountain, I haven't even looked at skills or info yet, and I'm studying for my midterm today. Using this as fuel to get my shit done and get back home to play it.

boundedseven said:
For folks playing the main quest, is the story good?
So far so good, yeah. Reviews say it's pretty good, too.

Also, I'm almost level 20 and I haven't encountered a single piece of armor over Dwarven quality yet, so loot scaling definitely has changed somewhat.

Aselith

Is it possible to break down items into their parts to use for other items? I need to know if I should hang onto to armor and weapons I pick up for recycling or just sell it off.

Blackface said:
Anyone dual wielding, how is that? It seems a bit gimped with no blocking.

I'm going dual wield + bow because it's fucking cool but I just started so I can't tell you if it's better than other styles.

LCfiner

Jeesh, I'm trying to decrypt the Steam files and it's been stuck at 34% for 5 minutes. is this shit normal?

edit. it's finally done

Lakitu

st5fu
Blue Ninja said:
So far so good, yeah. Reviews say it's pretty good, too.

Also, I'm almost level 20 and I haven't encountered a single piece of armor over Dwarven quality yet, so loot scaling definitely has changed somewhat.

What type of combat are you using? You mentioned Archery already I think?

Lakitu said:
What type of combat are you using? You mentioned Archery already I think?
Sword and shield. I have a bow with me for when I want to engage an enemy from afar (mostly dragons and other high-powered creatures), but I mostly just charge in and hack things to pieces.

Wow. I'm in the Reach and it's early in the morning, with a fog hanging over everything. I cross a high bridge, stopping to take in the sights, when I suddenly see a familiar shape flying through the fog, right at me...

Dragon number eight, here I come. Why the fuck do these guys only appear when I'm already loaded to the brim with loot?

Luthos

Played a few hours. Game looks good. Don't rant about textures or whatnot, the game is just pleasing to the eye. The environments are loads better than Oblivion.

DAT CRAFTING SYSTEM. I love me a good crafting system, and since my dude is a warrior, I'll be primarily be doing smithing with him. And I love that they added in the animations for everything you can craft/do.

And the dialogue system is so much better than Oblivion's. I'm not right in people's face.

Also, I'm on PS3, and is there a way to zoom out further in 3rd person that I'm just not getting? When weapons are out, it zooms out a bit, but with them sheathed, it's right behind his back.

And holy god, everybody learn from Bethesda. You can map any button you want to any command you want. Whether it's needed or not, every game ever needs to do this.

Huh, the dragon's just circling around the mountains, not attacking me. I've tried shooting it with my bow, but it's too high up to hit.

Oh well, as long as it doesn't bother me... I noticed I'm close to Karthwasten, so I'll head there to sell some shit.

NBtoaster

About the dialogue system, it still isnt great. You can have npcs queueing up to talk to you (like a highwayman), or have other npcs try to talk to the npc you are talking to.

And you can start a conversation when someone is exiting an area, and they begin the to speak to you but go through anyway.

xXJonoXx

Is there any way to hide my helm on my character but continue to wear it?

It's weird, I feel like the first person mode is awkward and I only use the 3rd person view.

Well there are a lot of things that I miss, like being able to equip armour piece by piece. Speed athletics etc. and a lot more.

But so fast the game has made up for it in design.

The first dungeon I got to was better than anything in Oblivion. Good riddance randomly generated shit fests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom