• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing for about four hours now just made the
Golden Claw
quest and I've not even left Riverwood yet, man this game is not perfect (I blame my ridiculously high expectations) but I can already tell it is leaps better than Oblivion in terms of atmosphere, gameplay, music and everything else.

By the way, dunno if it's been commented before in the thread but for whoever it might interest I used the showracemenu command and it worked just fine, make sure to close the console before trying to touch up things though and don't change your race, anything else seems to work fine.

I only have two real gripes, the dub and the arrow bug, let's hope the latter gets fixed soon.

Drazgul

Enco said:
If you stealth attack someone from far away, do they auto see you?

They spot me right after, but then again I'm fully in heavy armor, with a crappy sneak skill and hard difficulty so YMMV.

Raytow

Drazgul said:
They spot me right after, but then again I'm fully in heavy armor, with a crappy sneak skill and hard difficulty so YMMV.
Actually they become aware but they still can't spot you, which is great.

Noaloha

TheDrowningMan said:
The weird thing is that in some respects Arkham City feels more boxed in that its predecessor to me. There's a weird seamless / disjointed dichotomy which is disruptive to the flow of the experience. It definitely improves over Asylum in plenty of areas, but I'm not feeling the same sense of place I did with that game.

It's peculiar, because I'm doing things that I should be loving but they're just not having the impact that I think they should - maybe I just like Arkham Asylum too much and I've got a bit of fatigue...perhaps I listened to that record one too many times and need to take a break.

Is Skyrim especially atmospheric?
From the seven hours or so that I've played so far: of all the things that Skyrim especially is, atmospheric is the thing it is most especialiest.

Locke_211

Enco said:
If you stealth attack someone from far away, do they auto see you?

Is there an equivlent to fight arena?

To your first question, from my experience so far, no. The eye being a completely closed slit '-' means no one can see you. If you shoot someone, the eye starts to slowly open, with how open it is being how busily they are looking for you. It being completely open means they've found you and the word 'detected' will appear in small letters to show the transition is complete - up to this point, you'll still get bonuses because they haven't properly found you, they're just looking.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Woke up and my copy was sitting on the table this morning. My brother picked it up when he went to the midnight launch. Now I sit here at work...sigh.

Hah, apparently the side quest I did also lead me to collect an item relating to the main quest line, when I finally went to start it I already had the quest item on me. Killed
the first dragon, and finally got the ability to actually use the shout I unlocked earlier.
Bunch of cool magical light gear to.

UdZKVl.jpg

I'm assuming the quest rewards are based off my skills - I got a plus Conjuration helmet which was weird since I'm not using Conjuration but everything else has been pretty spot on with Light Armor and 1h weapons and shields. Either that or I'm just really lucky.

Drazgul

Raytow said:
Actually they become aware but they still can't spot you, which is great.

Well they do run right at my direction, so I'm thinking a more stealth-suited approach (light armor, relevant perks etc.) will probably play part in this. I can't get very close anyway without even the basic bandits spotting me.

Well, thank you simplygames, I realise now when you advertise guaranteed release day delivery you only meant consoles, those of us with pc's can wait. Thanks a fucking lot you cunts!

Just came upon a patrol of Thalmor Justiciars fighting a group of Stormcloaks. Since I don't like either, I just let the Justiciars finished the Stormcloaks off... And then burned their asses with my Fire Breath shout.

For those who want to join the dark brotherhood:

hint:

Go to windhelm. There is a locked building in the upper area. Go inside and talk to the kid. After you finished his quests you'll get an "invitation"
:)

Victrix

*beard*
PC interface is stunningly shitty. It's like Gothic 1 level awful.

Embarassing. May just give up and hook up a 360 pad, since that's clearly what it was designed for.

Antagon

lilltias said:
It's Skyrim, Skyrim / Gotta get down on Skyrim / Gotta make my mind up / What character should I make?

The only real thing you decide at the start is the race and looks of your character. So if you can't decide go for a versatile race and you're fine.

Abooie

Banned
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Post has been and it didn't come :(

Arranged some time off this afternoon and the morning free :(

... first sadness ...

... then anger ...

FUCKING ASDA!

Played the game for ~1,5 hours, damn. Game looks beautiful. This thread had me worried for a moment. Yes the shadows aren't that good and some textures are low-res, but the game looks and runs awesome.

Went for a 2-h Nord Heavy Armor Berserker with a moustache.

Abooie said:

... first sadness ...

... then anger ...

FUCKING ASDA!

I'm in the same boat dude, never order from Asda or Simplygames again.

Realyn

Well, now I´ll need some help. I´m lvl 15 in whiterun doing sidestuff. When will I get my first private chest/chance to buy house? Asking cause I´m carrying around like 50-60 books and obv haven´t read them all yet.

I was just kinda wondering around, picking up some cabbages, when I talked to some dude who offered to buy them. Ha, I thought, he's buying his own cabbages back. But then I realized he was paying me to harvest them. So I spent the next 20 mins or so doing that.

I'm.. not going to play another game for a while. That's just the way it is.

Drazgul

Realyn said:
Well, now I´ll need some help. I´m lvl 15 in whiterun doing sidestuff. When will I get my first private chest/chance to buy house? Asking cause I´m carrying around like 50-60 books and obv haven´t read them all yet.

You're very close:

You can buy a house in Whiterun for 5k after helping the court wizard in Whiterun, as part of the main quest line.

@GhostRidah:

Cool, you know whether Skyrim will get a performance/stability boost like Oblivion/FO3/NV did if you run in windowed mode (with the 'fake' fullscreen)? What about alt-tab?

Lakitu

st5fu
/Fuck me. The post came and yet again, no game. What the hell is going on? I've always at the latest had it on release day.

I am fuming.

Mastadon said:
I ordered from Asda and it came today! They don't use royal mail.

I ordered from simplygames (guaranteed release day delivery) Yeah right! Only for consoles, even though it never stated this anywhere when I ordered my pc version. It had in big fucking letters "Get it on release day".

Pissed off because I'm busy all weekend with the missus, was going to have an epic session today and tonight.

Enco

Abooie said:

... first sadness ...

... then anger ...

FUCKING ASDA!
Happened to a friend with bf and they came late.

Usually my orders come after the morning delivery so don't lose hope.

Waiting for bus to go home. Better be there :p

Lakitu said:
/Fuck me. The post came and yet again, no game. What the hell is going on? I've always at the latest had it on release day.

I am fuming.

Don't feel too bad man, I won't have my copy til the 17th as I'm too cheap to pay for shipping, but apparently not too cheap to fork out 59.99.

Dries

Hmmm are there other enviroments than pine trees and snowy mountains? Just started, but I was just wonderig this.

Kud Dukan

So I created a Breton, with a intent of creating a sword/magic character, but after spending some time with the magic, I seriously think I'm going to focus almost exclusively on that. So satisfying!

Abooie

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Asda just use their own vans to deliver, and the delivery slots last pretty much all day

.. joy ..

You made me take a look at the order and there's a "track order" page..

Your parcel is on the vehicle for delivery, due between 15:36 - 16:36

Woooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo!!

Antagon

Dries said:
Hmmm are there other enviroments than pine trees and snowy mountains? Just started, but I was just wonderig this.

Tundras, marshlands, the lake, different kind of forests at least. But you're in a cold land, so the snow covered mountains will always be around you.

Lakitu

st5fu
Fuck it. I rang Game and they said there's a good chance it was lost in the post. So I'm just going to get the game today and then if I do get my copy, I'll get a refund as long as I don't break the seal. Also, if I take it in to my local Game.

Divius

&Divius said:
Question: If I approach someone from a long way and want to attack them (I mostly play as archer) I have often trouble to tell if they are friend or foe, any tips? I don't want to attack someone who is with the Imperial Army or w/e.
Let me just ask this again.

Abooie said:
.. joy ..

You made me take a look at the order and there's a "track order" page..

Woooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooo!!

Haha, excellent!
I'm surprised you weren't asked for a time slot to deliver to, Asda are usually very good for this, you can pick almost exactly what time your package arrives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom