• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow just had my first random dragon encounter. So cool when the music kicks in and the dragon comes swooping down. It was a tough fight, but me and my lady Huscarl friend finally took it down with some help from a stray mammoth that also decided to join the fight :).

Forsete

Sometimes I hate Steam...

Inserts disc, activates the key.. Installing, by DOWNLOADING. Install from the disc you damned shitware.

The perfect Dark said:
For those who want to join the dark brotherhood:

hint:

Go to windhelm. There is a locked building in the upper area. Go inside and talk to the kid. After you finished his quests you'll get an "invitation"
:)

You can get this information off the innkeeper in Riverwood if you ask for 'gossip'. I used to quite like his no-nonsense approach, but after he hired some thugs to beat the shit out of me, I decided to no longer frequent his establishment.

Forsete

razgriz417 said:
try installing in offline mode?

It said it had to be connected to the servers in order to install. But I will try again, for the 5th time. :(

Edit: By Oden, now it worked. The disc is spinning.
Its awesome that Valve hasn't fixed this since it has been a problem for years. Thats what I call customer support!

Forsete said:
It said it had to be connected to the servers in order to install. But I will try again, for the 5th time. :(

try this https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382
Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Forsete said:
Sometimes I hate Steam...

Inserts disc, activates the key.. Installing, by DOWNLOADING. Install from the disc you damned shitware.

That always surprised me... why even bother putting the data on the disc?

Tesseract

Banned
i really wasn't feeling this up to riverwood, and then i went up into bleak falls.

holy fucking mother of god. forgive me, bethesda.

Durante

Tesseract said:
i really wasn't feeling this up to riverwood, and then i went up into bleak falls.

holy fucking mother of god. forgive me, bethesda.
I feel the same way. That dungeon is better than almost all of them in Oblivion combined.

Also, conjuration seems a bit OP. I reanimated that
spider
mid-boss and it slaughtered the next 4 enemies for me. It was glorious.

Durante said:
I feel the same way. That dungeon is better than almost all of them in Oblivion combined.

Also, conjuration seems a bit OP. I reanimated that
spider
mid-boss and it slaughtered the next 4 enemies for me. It was glorious.

I never even thought about doing that!

Fusebox

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Is the audio really low for everyone else?
Yep, had to crank the 5.1, and when I turn away from someone talking it doesn't seem to pass to the surround speakers at full volume so I have to center back on them to listen.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Someone who has the guide already please post the locations of the trainers for dual wielding weaponry so I can have it bookmarked preemptively.

I just completed the Mage's Guild storyline, and I gotta say I was a bit disappointed. There are a number of good dungeons it sends you to over the course of the quest (and the last one has a tough-as-nails boss that kicked my ass twice), but there's no sense of progression or advancement. You're an apprentice, do a few quests, and then all of a sudden you're arch master. Hopefully the other faction quests are more interesting, I've had the Fighter's Guild (Companions) quest running for a while now, but it hasn't really gripped me either. I need to hunt down the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood, as I suspect they'll offer a whole lot more.

Got a kick ass sword out of it though;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Bootaaay/Blah/DSC_0344.jpg

Gandie

The use of magic in this game is so much more satisfying than in Oblivion, it's amazing! I just unlocked the perk, that lets you
create a more powerful version of the spell, when you have it equipped in both hands.
Sogood.gif

Durante

Chriswok said:
I never even thought about doing that!

It's pretty convenient!

tesv-2011-11-11-13-53r16ll.jpg

toasty_T said:
How is the PC version in general?
I think it's great once you do a few tweaks. The only remaining problem is some variable Y axis turning speed, but it's no big deal.

I was planning on going with a fairly agile sword/magic user yet I've ended up going with a 2-Handed powerhouse. Strange. Still might try to move into some magic wielding.

joesmokey

Finally taking a break (sleeping). Holy crap was getting to High Hrothgar a long journey. After a bunch of side quests, I finally got on the right path by just mountain climbing through certain sections.

I tried to make my way to Winterhold, but going to save that off until tomorrow (I want to start the Mage quests). I stopped in Windhelm for now.

It's so easy to get lost in so many different quests. The dungeons are definitely awesome this time, however loot for me has mainly just been getting gold.

Game is amazing so far.

I hope someone comes out with a zero weight fix soon, I hate having to deal with what I pick up and loot. Right now almost all my weight is from carrying just food or alchemy ingredients, not even weapons/armor. I'm also hoping I get to open up some variety in spellcasting soon.

eso76

spekkeh said:
I always wonder how much of the French/Germans/Spanish/Italian really like their games being translated. Then again as a German you're probably pretty used to it. In Holland/Belgium/Scandinavia it's in English obv.

In italy, they didn't start translating games until recently: i think it wasn't until ps2 and xbox era that they started translating most games with subs at least.

For example, Morrowind was only available in english (not even subbed) and was later translated by a bunch of guys who released a mod/patch which worked on xbox too.

Now, my generation learned english thanks to videogames..casuals though..they are the reason why games had to be translated in first place and most won't buy games that don't speak their language.

While VA has been atrocious for years (MGS 1 was laughable) and proper gamers would refuse to play their games in anything but english, though, things have improved in recent years and you're often graced with a decent or good job.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I honestly can't believe we have controversies over how the gaming press should review games either as pre release or day-1 retail products, and nobody is making note of the massive problems there are on PC.

The UI is bad, the controls are bad, mouselook is bad, sound is bad. Come on, guys. I'd be inclined to give Bethesda a free pass too, but doing so only establishes the bullshit double standard for 'expected AAA games'.

Cryptozoologist said:
Jesus the dungeons! So awesome. So lengthy. I gained two levels in the one I just completed, insane.

Yeah, my first side quest was a long journey into a dungeon and I actually ended up with a Should (that I still need to unlock). Great experience. Playing on Ultra Settings. My frame rate dips randomly at points but the game looks beautiful.

Tesseract

Banned
Lyphen said:
I honestly can't believe we have controversies over how the gaming press should review games either as pre release or day-1 retail products, and nobody is making note of the massive problems there are on PC.

The UI is bad, the controls are bad, mouselook is bad, sound is bad. Come on, guys. I'd be inclined to give Bethesda a free pass too, but doing so only establishes the bullshit double standard for 'expected AAA games'.

yep, all of this very nearly kills the game. i don't know what the fuck they were thinking with the ui.

Wanace

Tesseract said:
yep, all of this very nearly kills the game. i don't know what the fuck they were thinking with the ui.
I also agree, thankfully the game is good enough that I can get past this shit, and since we're on PC, community fixes will come hard and fast.

Although we shouldn't have to rely on the community for stuff like this, Bethesda...

18-Volt

I wanna ask something. I couldn't get myself into Bethesda RPG's. I have tried but I couldn't. I have played Daggerfall and Morrowind (on Xbox) but they felt like slow paced and boring. Especially Morrowind. I also couldn't get myself into Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Would I like this game? First person view is always a turnoff for me but does Skyrim do it differently than Morrowind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom