• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Spirit of Jazz said:
Thanks for not giving a fuck about SDTV owners Bethesda. The game's borderline unplayable for me, the only other title in xbox history that I've had these kind of aspect issues with has been Tropico 3.
What's the text like? If the aspect is messed up I'll just play it in widescreen.

Anilusion

"Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request"

And I'm trying to install using the dvd because the download would take like 12 hours. FIX YOUR SHIT.

Danielsan

GreekWolf said:
Stick with expert, man. The world is much more exciting and interesting when it's dangerous. Think of it as 'Dark Souls' mode.
The only difference, and this is a big one, is that Skyrim's combat doesn't hold a candle to the combat in Dark Souls. You can't out fight tougher enemies with skill here. If your stats aren't up to it you're fucked.

FHIZ

My amazon package has been out for delivery since 5:40am, so hopefully it gets here soon

In the meantime, I suggest to you all, if you haven't already, watch the Giant Bomb quick look, specifically from 27:35 on. I'm crying with laughter.

Valravn

Im enjoying this game alot. The setting and the atmosphere it brings are amazing. Pity they havent improved the animations and combat. Ah maybe a future mod will adress this.

MechaX

Woorloog said:
You looking for a great melee combat game, you're going to be disappointed. If you tolerate or, simply don't mind Oblivion or Fallout 3/NV melee combat then you can play this game. The melee is better han either of those but not by much.
Magic and Archery work pretty well, if you don't mind the enemies become pincushions (unless you specialize in archery and sneaking and thus do heavy damage with bows).

In that case I'll probably just stick mostly to magic. The Melee combat in F3/NV didn't break the experience for me, and I could indeed tolerate it, but it was still just... meh. But if Magic (and Archery as well) work pretty well, that's good enough for me.

Wazzim

Banned
Just had some mage attacking me randomly, pretty cool. (my first TES game :D )
Love the game, sharing stories about our experiences with friends should be fun Monday.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I like how back when Oblivion came around that OT was championing the run-up to 10,000 posts for the longest time, and here we are now with over 9000 posts on the day of release of it's sequel. ^^

Thank goodness for redbox, i got it there for Xbox this morning, messed up on amazon and did not get release day shipping.

can anyone post a pic of the controller button functions no manual come with redbox rentals.

Got to the first dragon last night, seemed too easy, just kind of sat back and shot it while it mostly attacked NPCs. I think I'm going to raise the difficulty level and do it over.

I fucking love this game. Yeah it's got a shit interface on PC, yeah some of the textures are bad, but good god is it fun and a huge step up graphically from F3. I literally just chill and stare at awesome stuff. Still runs great on PC on high for me with just a Core2Duo and a 3870.

I get a strong Morrowind vibe, and that is the best thing I could have hoped for.

Zaptruder

Banned
So one of the problems I had with Oblivion was that the story scenario felt supremely generic.

How's Skyrim feel in that regard? Similar to Oblivion, or more like another RPG on the market? Or a beast unto itself?

RS4-

sk3tch said:
If I didn't like Oblivion (tried many a time) is there any chance I will dig Skyrim?

I've played more of Skyrim today than I have Oblivion.

Anyway, on PC wanted to skip some dialog with the NPC, hit the mouse button one too many times and attacked him.

That wasn't fun.

I've been playing since this morning on 360 and I love it. Everything thing I can think of is much better than it was in Oblivion. I'm really enjoying the loss of level scaling that Oblivion had, meaning I've already been killed several times.

Tunesmith said:
I like how back when Oblivion came around that OT was championing the run-up to 10,000 posts for the longest time, and here we are now with over 9000 posts on the day of release of it's sequel. ^^

I remember that too. At the time, no other thread on GAF had ever gone over 10,000. How things have changed.

sytadel

Choke on the Magic said:
Wondering how easy it is to escape the law in Skyrim. I remember the most annoying thing about Oblivion is how a guard would chase me to the edge of Cyrodil for accidently taking a piece of cheese off a table.
Also interested in this.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you use a 360 controller on the PC does the GUI change to match or does it still display keyboard buttons?

thefil

Treemonkeys said:
Got to the first dragon last night, seemed too easy, just kind of sat back and shot it while it mostly attacked NPCs. I think I'm going to raise the difficulty level and do it over.

My first dragon, I pulled the dragon away from the NPCs and had it chasing me an my Atronach for the entire fight. Scary shit.

Seriously though the dragon fights are a nerd dream. It's amazing so have them fly over, land and just start doing shit.

FHIZ said:
My amazon package has been out for delivery since 5:40am, so hopefully it gets here soon
My parcel was sent out at 2:30pm yesterday (it's now 3:20pm) and still isn't here... I finish work in just over an hour and a half - c'mon courier! If he doesn't show tonight then I'll be waiting until Monday.

BeeDog

I just got home with my PC copy; WHY THE FUCK CAN'T STEAM INSTALL FROM THE DISC? The piece-of-shit ancient Steam servers won't handle my request now, so I'm stuck watching my Steam key and twiddle my fucking thumbs.

Steam fucking sucks lately.

Dynamic3

I'm really intrigued by this game, but I'm getting huge variances in performance.

This may be a nitpick, but how can you justify using a flat texture to represent fur, especially in a game that takes place in a frozen land where everyone wears fur. It's really disappointing lol.

Firebrand

Mr Cola said:
i refuse to believe im the only one who has just spent 45 minutes looking up a suitable name for his character and is still stumped

damn this choice
I was stuck there for a while too, finally settled on Astrid for my female Nord.

Now what to spec as... I have NO IDEA... I think I'll just try a bit of everything for now, there's no total skill cap right? Perk points are still sitting unused though.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Is anyone familiar with dragon tongue to help me with something for the PC tech thread? I need a banner and wanted it to say what the title says. Maybe even throw in a neogaf in there.

PM me if you don't mind helping me with this.
We don't have enough words to translate whatever you want to translate... But you can easily just literally transcribe it to dragon letters.

Hex

Banned
Walmart does carry this in store right?
NEED to pick it up after work, and circumstances dictate that Walmart is my only choice

Mupod

sk3tch said:
If I didn't like Oblivion (tried many a time) is there any chance I will dig Skyrim?

I never got into Morrowind, admittedly didn't spend much time with it but I found the intro intensely boring. However I straight up despised Oblivion and actually did spend quite a bit of time with the game. Even got some recommendations for overhaul mods and the like, but all I got was regret for wasting time on a game I did not enjoy on a fundamental level.

I'm liking Skyrim a lot so far, actually looking forward to playing more of my magical dinosaur thief. Unfortunately I won't be able to for a while, and all I really did was clear out the barrow dungeon and dick around a little so I can't really say I love the game just yet.

I did find it kind of absurd that shooting a chicken is grounds for execution via sledgehammer in this game though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Blue Ninja said:
We don't have enough words to translate whatever you want to translate... But you can easily just literally transcribe it to dragon letters.
I was hoping for something like the actual letters in dragon language. I seen that there are some missing. I guess I could just leave it as it.

rataven

So restless. Climbing the walls here. UPS guy doesn't usually show until 3-ish.

Roamed a bit in Oblivion last night in anticipation. I know Cyrodiil like the back of my hand. It's going to feel so strange, yet so refreshing, to have a whole new province to find myself lost in.

JambiBum

I now have my new favorite hood. It's the execution victims hood. Makes my guy look insane. Just need to enchant it with something to balance it out.

Just started the dark brotherhood and I have the thieves guild waiting for me.

For those of you who want to know how to start the thieves.

I found an unusual gem in a dungeon north of Riften. IIRC the dungeon's name starts with A. It's a rather long dungeon and the boss fight can be a bitch but you get some awesome gear. After you get the gem you have to go to Riften. Almost as soon as you walk in someone will start talking to you. Go from there.

FGMPR

Banned
BeeDog said:
I just got home with my PC copy; WHY THE FUCK CAN'T STEAM INSTALL FROM THE DISC? The piece-of-shit ancient Steam servers won't handle my request now, so I'm stuck watching my Steam key and twiddle my fucking thumbs.

Steam fucking sucks lately.

"Hey. For all those who will be installing skyrim from retail copies, sometimes steam will actually install the game from the servers (download) and not from your disc. This is a workaround. Works for steamworks games only, and does not work until the official launch time.

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc
Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc."

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1255286-pc-installing-skyrim-from-disk-not-steam/

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Kung Fu Jedi said:
I remember that too. At the time, no other thread on GAF had ever gone over 10,000. How things have changed.
Indeed, next-gen OTs to cost millions and have 100,000 posts in a week confirmed.

With in-post unlockable DLC comments.

BeeDog

FGMPR said:
"Hey. For all those who will be installing skyrim from retail copies, sometimes steam will actually install the game from the servers (download) and not from your disc. This is a workaround. Works for steamworks games only, and does not work until the official launch time.

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc
Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc."

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1255286-pc-installing-skyrim-from-disk-not-steam/

Thanks, but didn't seem to help at all. Still got a "Steam is too busy to handle your request" warning, and it's stuck yet again.

EDIT: seems to be working the second time I tried it. Thanks! You're my favorite poster for the day.

KingK

I though I had settled on playing a Dunmer with one-handed swords and destruction magic, but now I'm leaning more and more towards my other idea of a Bosmer archery/stealth and alchemy character.

Bah, it seems like every day I change my mind on which of these two I want to be, and I have to decide before 6 tonight when I start playing the game!

Which will be more fun, Magic and one-handed swords, or stealth and archery (with decent one-handed for close encounters)?

Question regarding regions (please looking for some info) --- this is not related to the sticky on the front page

About to purchase a key for the game from someone that bought it from Gamesplanet.com (I'm assuming this is in the UK because he priced the item in £)

Will I have any difficulty or problem now, or in the future, regarding this in terms of region-locking or things of that nature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom