• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antagon

KingK said:
I though I had settled on playing a Dunmer with one-handed swords and destruction magic, but now I'm leaning more and more towards my other idea of a Bosmer archery/stealth and alchemy character.

Bah, it seems like every day I change my mind on which of these two I want to be, and I have to decide before 6 tonight when I start playing the game!

Which will be more fun, Magic and one-handed swords, or stealth and archery (with decent one-handed for close encounters)?

Just choose a race and start playing. You don't choose a class or anything at the start, so you really should just test what you like more.

Mastadon

Banned
God I love this game, the atmosphere is spot on from what I've played so far. The walk through Bleak Falls Barrow into the dungeon gave a really eerie, desolate vibe that took the tension up a couple of levels.

The whole thing looks great too. Haven't had any issues with textures popping in on the 360 yet.

Effect

Woorloog said:
You looking for a great melee combat game, you're going to be disappointed. If you tolerate or, simply don't mind Oblivion or Fallout 3/NV melee combat then you can play this game. The melee is better han either of those but not by much.
Magic and Archery work pretty well, if you don't mind the enemies become pincushions (unless you specialize in archery and sneaking and thus do heavy damage with bows).

Which has had me thinking after firing Oblivion back up last night just for the hell out of it. If one favors the Fallout games and wasn't to crazy about the melee combat in those perhaps Skyrim might not be the best buy, at least at the current price. Perhaps some might be better off, if they haven't already done so, picking up some of the DLC for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. Or just getting New Vegas if they only have Fallout 3. Range combat in first person view and melee combat in first person view can be two very difference experiences I think.

Personally since I'm not getting the game at the moment that's the direction I'm going in. I want to play Skyrim but knowing how I felt about Oblivion compared to how much I enjoyed both Fallout 3 and New Vegas I don't think it will be money well spent at the moment. Also because it's to much money to spend now on top of other things I'm buying at the moment. It had to be cut from the buy list anyway. I still have The Pitt and Point Outlook to go through after downloading them some time ago when the price dropped on Xbox. Haven't gotten any of the New Vegas DLC yet though.

KingK

Antagon said:
Just choose a race and start playing. You don't choose a class or anything at the start, so you really should just test what you like more.

Yeah, I suppose I'll just start Dunmer, with the intention of being a magic+one-handed sword user, but see where I end up going with it.

edit: My package just arrived! Too bad I have to leave in 20 minutes :'(

The Chef

KingK said:
stealth and archery (with decent one-handed for close encounters)?

This is pretty much exactly what character I'm going for. Being stealth and getting one hit sneak kills with an arrow shot to someones head is so satisfying to me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
In the first few hours of this game I've:

- Delved into a massive dungeon that had a huge room in the middle that was easily 4 stories high/deep

- Killed several fledgling vampires

- Been killed by the Master Vampire (seriously, not for level 2 folks)

- Saw elk, snow foxes, and butterflies

- Encountered a travelling bard who sang a song for me at the gratuitous price of 25 gold

- Fell to my death off some snowy slope because I was admiring the view

- Used an oil slick on a floor to burn a bandit leader to death

- Came upon a couple of necromancers doing some ritual out in the moonlight night

- Found what I assume is a Dark Brotherhood entrance that asks a creepy riddle in order to grant passage, which of course I didn't know the answer to.

To sum it up, for me anyway: Game of the Year

Kaizer

Banned
This might be a lame question, but how is the third-person camera? I've never really been a fan of the Western RPGs in First-Person (Hated Oblivion because of it) but I've heard they improved it for Skyrim. Any chance a fan of Third-Person games could enjoy this?

Derrick01

Banned
charsace said:
How does this game play in 3rd person? Is it finally possible to play a beth game from that perspective?

It's better than Oblivion but still pretty ugly and sloppy. First is still much better.

Enco

charsace said:
How does this game play in 3rd person? Is it finally possible to play a beth game from that perspective?
Some people say yes but I'd say no chance in hell.

The fighting from what I've seen looks extremely sloppy. Pretty stupid.

KingK

The Chef said:
This is pretty much exactly what character I'm going for. Being stealth and getting one hit sneak kills with an arrow shot to someones head is so satisfying to me.

Yeah, I'm definitely doing a stealthy playthrough like that eventually, I'm just having trouble deciding if I want it to be my first or second.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I wish the game would let you group saves by character (Dragon Age did this), bit of a pain having to make the folders and move saves around.

blame space said:
this is gonna be my first Elder Scrolls game after loving the last two Fallout games.. I really can't wait to play it!
Morrowind and Oblivion weep for never having been touched by his Blame Space-ness.

Kyaw said:
I got my copy! The premium physical map is quite awesome!

INSTALLING NOW.
I'm gonna try and find a frame for it, it's too awesome to ruin or let go to waste.

Hari Seldon said:
Question: Do the mobs and such auto-level with you?
Not sure. I can cut through bandits and their higher levels pretty easily now, while they destroyed me during the early hours. The game does compensate by throwing a higher-level leader at you once in a while, though. Same with the Draugr.

eravulgaris said:
So when can I use my found dragon shouts? I have two shouts waiting and I've just slain a dragon, gaining 1 dragon soul. How many do I need?

You need 1 dragon soul for every word of a shout you unlock - go to the magic menu, then to shouts and you should be able to turn in your dragon souls to activate the shouts there.

angelfly

Done for now since I need some sleep (did 11 hours straight) but all I have to say is that slaying dragons is sooooooo satisfying.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is archery viable if I don't play stealthy? I'm just a big fan of ranged combat. I'm intending to do archery/magic with one-handed skills for when I need to get dirty.

Also, how important is speech skill in this game? Should I spend perks on it? And what about crafting? Is it worth the bonuses you can earn via perks to craft extra badass gear, and can you craft super sweet arrows?

AEREC

Ive got a question about leveling up...I realize the cap is 50 so eventually your magik/health/stamina will max out...but are the skill perks unlimited?

CozMick

Banned
Need a little info please, but it involves sorta spoilers from the beginning of the game....

Once I returned the Dragonstone to Jarl I received a reward, but as he was giving it to me my girlfriend shouted me and I missed what he gave me :lol

Could someone tell me what I received? thanks :)

AEREC said:
Ive got a question about leveling up...I realize the cap is 50 so eventually your magik/health/stamina will max out...but are the skill perks unlimited?
Cap is not 50, after 50 you'll just level up a lot more slowly. I seem to recall reading the maximum is around 70.

So you can naturally only pick around 70 perks.

BadTaste

Graphics are pretty sexy (in most places).

tesv2011111116134212.jpg

p3tran

Banned
MasterShotgun said:
Holy shit at Steam. 143,000+ people are playing right now.
its not much. should be 5 million

p.s. as I couldnt find it in my country for 360, I went ahead and bought the ps3 version.
now I only have to calculate how much time I need to remove the spiderwebs etc that rest on my playstation. :)

land of skyrim, even with another vehicle, here I come!

First near-5 hours of gameplay, I've:

-Created my red/white kahjiit named D'anj.
-After the first dungeon, I gathered plants, killed animals to get meat and pelts, and took town some conjurer and bandits.
-Caught some butterflies!
-Got a nirnroot or two (Bethesda made it a lot easier to find, especially at night).
-Used my first two perks immediately on dual-destruction!
-Toyed with dual-wielding magic and weapons.
-Sold most of the stuff I got from said bandits.
-Did my first smithing/tanning/grinding and got some nice gear.
-Finished my first quest (
Golden Claw
).
-Got my first disease (decreased melee) from a wolf.
-Bought a disease cure.
-Finished with gathering firewood and earn 100-120 per session.

All that in nearly 5 hours! WORTH THE WAIT!

Unicorn

Game of the next Decade.

Made a Dunmer Necromancer. Girlfriend helped me with character creation and naming. She watched with interest for 4 hours as I played last night. Anytime we found a book, we'd do some popcorn dramatic reading. We'd solve puzzles together in between me raising minibosses from the dead to fight for me.

I can't wait to dig in deeper. I don't want to say it quite yet, but this could totally dethrone Morrowind, as long as Skyrim keeps up this magic.

Also, torching people is so satisfying. Playing on Expert, and this feels like how it was meant to be played.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well... I just went to the stores and accidentally bought the game. That's right, I accidentally bought it. And now I'm here with the PC-version and I'm not even sure if my stupid PC can play this game without chopping to hell... and I haven't got the balls to start installing the game because I'm afraid ;_;

Abooie

Banned
And it's finally here (UK damn Asda and they're DPD delivery) and ... I can't play right now.

I could always tell the kids (3 & 7) to feed themselves?

Nah, I'm not that bad.

Derrick01

Banned
Even though I picked Argonian I started using Archery at the beginning which I never did in Oblivion. I've gotta say they've improved stealth and stealth weapons much more, I've been picking people off with archery so far. The ones I don't kill in 1 or 2 shots I "run" to a different direction in stealth and wait for the enemies to check my old area and run away.

Also leading them into oil traps is super fun. They think they've got me pinned down and I light the oil with my basic fire spell and watch them die >:)

Antagon

Treemonkeys said:
Has anyone found an acrobatics type perk hidden in any of the skills? Something to make up for the lack of that skill?

There's a roll perk in the sneak tree, but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom