• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nords can use magic right? Never saw anything about it during the opening and I am hoping they can. Otherwise I am rerolling a character lol
LLShC.gif

panty

I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here but I couldn't resist the PC and I bought it off Gamesplanet few hours ago and I still haven't got the activation code. This is driving me nuts.

vocab said:
UI is awful, sound is low, dynamic contrast can blow me, and the combat feels like a PS1 game. I guess I'm spoiled by Mount and Blade's amazing melee combat that this just feels so archaic. I guess I'll play some more to see some fat loots, and bosses (if there is any).

I will say this though, it runs better than Oblivion ever did.
Yeah menus on PC suck ass. It plays better with gamepad as of now. Low sound has also bothered me. Also after a month of non stop Dark Souls playing combat feels horrible.

Thank god it runs well besides two crashes during my 4 hours of playtime.

Durante

taylor910 said:
How is the bound bow?

If you've been spotted and cast invisibility will enemies still find you?

Any awesome summon spells?

Just looking for impressions on anything magic really.
Magic -- everything magic really -- is 50x more awesome than Oblivion. In terms of summoning, I reanimated a mid-boss and teared through the next 4 enemies together with it. Was pretty rad.

Antagon

Snkfanatic said:
Nords can use magic right? Never saw anything about it during the opening and I am hoping they can. Otherwise I am rerolling a character lol
LLShC.gif

Ofcourse, everyone can do anything outside of the racial abilities.

Thanks for not giving a fuck about SDTV owners Bethesda. The game's borderline unplayable for me, the only other title in xbox history that I've had these kind of aspect issues with has been Tropico 3.

Sarcasm

Nords can, I am haha! I knew FIre, Heal, and something else.

PC users, hows the xbox 360 working for you? I kinda want to try.

PantyPhantom said:
I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here but I couldn't resist the PC and I bought it off Gamesplanet few hours ago and I still haven't got the activation code. This is driving me nuts.

That's the site I bought from. Apparently they take some time to verify your credit card due to escalating Fraud issues. They're legit and I did eventually receive my Steam Key. Took about 3-4 hours. They are not a "cdkey" site or anything like that.

Danielsan

Bought the 360 version this morning. Have been playing since 10AM and just had my first hard lock-up. That's how you know you're still playing a Bethesda game.
It's so damn great though. Such a tremendous approvement over Oblivion.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
i refuse to believe im the only one who has just spent 45 minutes looking up a suitable name for his character and is still stumped

damn this choice

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mr Cola said:
i refuse to believe im the only one who has just spent 45 minutes looking up a suitable name for his character and is still stumped

damn this choice
Have you considered Dr Girlfriend?

The UI is worse than it was in Oblivion. I really don't like that they've made a favorite menu instead of mapping things to the dpad. Sure, you can still map two things, but that's not anywhere near as many as I would want.

GreekWolf

ilnadmy said:
So what the lowdown as far as 360 vs. PS3? I'm picking my copy up on Sunday and want to know which version is superior technically.
Lens of Truth shows both versions virtually identical in textures, but a few possible differences in other areas.

360 looks to be completely missing HDR (which PS3 seems to have), and it's possible PS3 is running sub-HD.

We'll have to wait for DF to find out anything about screen tearing and fps. All things being equal, the major difference between the two (IMO) is the texture streaming glitch on 360, which can cause some ugly looking scenery at times. Hopefully, it will be fixed with a patch sometime this weekend. In the meantime, a quick fix for the glitch is to install the game from a usb drive, which corrects the issue.

I'm thinking of rolling a Wood Elf and concentrating on alchemy and conjuring. Goal would be to do the whole stealth and poison-tipped arrows and daggers thing, conjuring to help me out where needed.

Question though: Can I still get some sweet destruction spells and become powerful with them without becoming a jack of all trades?

Also, how is the alchemy system? Still a cool thing I be a heavy alchemy user for potions and poisons?

Finally, how is the bow combat? Pretty much the same as Oblivion?

Just want to make sure my idea for a character will still be fun to play and I won't miss out on anything.

MechaX

Coming from someone who enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas despite their jank but never actually touched Oblivion or Morrowind (well.. outside of the first 15 minutes of Morrowind), or any Elder Scrolls game for that matter...

... What exactly am I in for?

Derrick01

Banned
The only thing I'm struggling to get used to is the new map, I don't like it as much as Oblivion's and I don't believe it's as useful in terms of seeing where you and other things are. And it's also 2 button presses to get to it instead of 1 in Oblivion since I always had the menu left on the map section, so when I opened the menu it would be on the map.

Enco

AndyMoogle said:
The UI is worse than it was in Oblivion. I really don't like that they've made a favorite menu instead of mapping things to the dpad. Sure, you can still map two things, but that's not anywhere near as many as I would want.
Not liking the comments on UI.

Playing time after Parks n Recs.

MechaX said:
Coming from someone who enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas despite their jank but never actually touched Oblivion or Morrowind (well.. outside of the first 15 minutes of Morrowind), or any Elder Scrolls game for that matter...

... What exactly am I in for?
Swords, shields, bows, arrows, fireballs, icy breaths and dragons.

Durante

nicoga3000 said:
These PC control issues...If I just plug in my 360 controller, will that circumvent the problems?
Basically, gamepad FPS controls are so bad that they often mask control issues. But you can also fix almost all of the issues (besides UI, which is serviceable enough when you get used to it, by adding iPresentInterval=0 to Skyrim.ini and turning off mouse acceleration (see the PC tech thread for details).

Derrick01 said:
The only thing I'm struggling to get used to is the new map, I don't like it as much as Oblivion's and I don't believe it's as useful in terms of seeing where you and other things are.
It's interesting, IMHO the local map is much better than it was in Oblivion, while the world map is worse.

Antagon

Fong Ghoul said:
I'm thinking of rolling a Wood Elf and concentrating on alchemy and conjuring. Goal would be to do the whole stealth and poison-tipped arrows and daggers thing, conjuring to help me out where needed.

Question though: Can I still get some sweet destruction spells and become powerful with them without becoming a jack of all trades?

Also, how is the alchemy system? Still a cool thing I be a heavy alchemy user for potions and poisons?

Finally, how is the bow combat? Pretty much the same as Oblivion?

Just want to make sure my idea for a character will still be fun to play and I won't miss out on anything.

I haven't used bow too much, but alchemy seems decent. There's definitely some nice perks in that. I'd recommend with going illusion as well, it gives some nice spells that add to your sneak abilities and you can use it to fuck with enemies minds. Plus there's a silent casting perk in that tree.

I got used to the UI on the PC pretty quickly. Switching weapons is also very easy using the 1 - 8 hotkeys. Favorite a weapon/spell, press Q, then you can assign 1-8 to one of your favorited weapons/spells.

2-h combat is alright. Bash when the enemy is using a power attack, block if they're using a normal attack, power attack if they're blocking, and swing away. Already found four enchanted 2-handers in my 3 hours of playing.

Don't have any shouts yet. Can't wait 'till I have a offensive shout with a low cooldown I can use during combat, should spice things up a little bit.

Spat_triate

Derrick01 said:
The only thing I'm struggling to get used to is the new map, I don't like it as much as Oblivion's and I don't believe it's as useful in terms of seeing where you and other things are. And it's also 2 button presses to get to it instead of 1 in Oblivion since I always had the menu left on the map section, so when I opened the menu it would be on the map.
Press "M"

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Mr Cola said:

damn this choice
haha this is exactly why i can't go right into Skyrim once i finish Dark Souls. way too much of a continued investment. I really want to but KoF XIII will be just the remedy until I'm ready once again to kiss my social life goodbye.

Antagon

GasProblem said:
I got used to the UI on the PC pretty quickly. Switching weapons is also very easy using the 1 - 8 hotkeys. Favorite a weapon/spell, press Q, then you can assign 1-8 to one of your favorited weapons/spells.

2-h combat is alright. Bash when the enemy is using a power attack, block if they're using a normal attack, power attack if they're blocking, and swing away. Already found four enchanted 2-handers in my 3 hours of playing.

Don't have any shouts yet. Can't wait 'till I have a offensive shout with a low cooldown I can use during combat, should spice things up a little bit.

Go do the main quest.

spekkeh

Banned
Misterinenja said:
Yeah menus on PC suck ass.
fwiw I'm not too fond of them with the gamepad either. There's an annoying lag in there that stops registering inputs, causing you to have to pause and determine where you are. It's also so stylized that I keep on having to read the text; I would've preferred color coding or pictograms.

I'm not sure what's wrong here, but I haven't earned a single achievement yet...

Though I guess I've only done one or two things that would warrant one.

Lakitu

st5fu
So first impressions.

I set out to create the Nord I wanted. Looks pretty awesome. I've been mixing it up a bit in that first dungeon, used a two handed battle axe, destruction plus one handed. Lockpicking feels easy and natural to me thanks to Fallout 3.

I sided with Ralof and I'm supposed to find Gerdur in Riverwood.
But I'm just going to take it slow, not even sure when I'll do the main quest stuff.

Just got out of the first dungeon and the graphics look beautiful to me. Still trying to adjust to the UI. Going to eat dinner then play more. Can't wait.

Danielsan

So what difficulty is everyone playing on?
I switched to expert for a bit and was doing alright, but then I met some Thug Bandit who completely smoked me, despite the fact that I could easily handle all her lackies. Went back to adapt after that.

Derrick01

Banned
Spat_triate said:
Press "M"

I'm using a 360 pad :p

Though if it's able to use both I'll definitely use that in the future.

Durante said:
It's interesting, IMHO the local map is much better than it was in Oblivion, while the world map is worse.

Ah I haven't really had a chance to mess with the local map yet as I haven't done a dungeon outside of the tutorial one, but yeah I really don't like the world map yet.

MechaX

Blue Ninja said:
Swords, shields, bows, arrows, fireballs, icy breaths and dragons.

Dragons are cool and all. But the melee combat in the Fallout games were not exactly... great. But given how this game focuses on that, there's much room for a turnaround, right?

spekkeh

Banned
GreekWolf said:
Lens of Truth shows both versions virtually identical in textures, but a few possible differences in other areas.

360 looks to be completely missing HDR (which PS3 seems to have), and it's possible PS3 is running sub-HD.
That's weird, the 360's HDR constantly hurts my eyes as it's so overdone.
Durante said:
I think the world map's pretty good. It's not so immediately clear, but you need the height difference so you can see the mountain passes and plan your trip accordingly.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Is anyone familiar with dragon tongue to help me with something for the PC tech thread? I need a banner and wanted it to say what the title says. Maybe even throw in a neogaf in there.

PM me if you don't mind helping me with this.

Lyonaz

Lol, I'm surpressing all my normal klepto-rpg urges. My brain tells me to take every single item, no matter how useless, but now I'm actively trying to control myself and just grab what I need most or going to actually use.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
GreekWolf said:

We'll have to wait for DF to find out anything about screen tearing and fps. All things being equal, the major difference between the two (IMO) is the texture streaming glitch on 360, which can cause some ugly looking scenery at times. Hopefully, it will be fixed with a patch sometime this weekend. In the meantime, a quick fix for the glitch is to install the game from a usb drive, which corrects the issue.

Cool, thanks for that. I generally get multiplat games on 360, but I heard the PS3 version might be superior here. Just want to be well informed and make the right decision. :)

Derrick01

Banned
FGMPR said:
125,000 playing on Steam right now.

I've never seen a figure like that before :eek:

For a single player game I've never seen that either. The most I saw previously was Deus Ex Human Revolution with "only" 55,000.

Well played Skyrim.

Woorloog

Banned
MechaX said:
Dragons are cool and all. But the melee combat in the Fallout games were not exactly... great. But given how this game focuses on that, there's much room for a turnaround, right?
You looking for a great melee combat game, you're going to be disappointed. If you tolerate or, simply don't mind Oblivion or Fallout 3/NV melee combat then you can play this game. The melee is better han either of those but not by much.
Magic and Archery work pretty well, if you don't mind the enemies become pincushions (unless you specialize in archery and sneaking and thus do heavy damage with bows).

GreekWolf

Danielsan said:
So what difficulty is everyone playing on?
I switched to expert for a bit and was doing alright, but then I met some Thug Bandit who completely smoked me, despite the fact that I could easily handle all he lackies. Went back to adapt after that.
Stick with expert, man. The world is much more exciting and interesting when it's dangerous. Think of it as 'Dark Souls' mode.

thefil

GasProblem said:

It's really great as a mage. You can double tap any hotkey to equip the spell in both hands. Makes it easy to quickly summon a Fire Atronach and then back to setting people on fire myself.

That being said, the summoned allies in this game have horrendous AI. I've had them get stuck in a hallway while I died.

Woorloog

Banned
Woorloog said:
You looking for a great melee combat game, you're going to be disappointed. If you tolerate or, simply don't mind Oblivion or Fallout 3/NV melee combat then you can play this game. The melee is better han either of those but not by much.
Magic and Archery work pretty well, if you don't mind the enemies become pincushions (unless you specialize in archery and sneaking and thus do heavy damage with bows).
Last post... this thread moves way too fast.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Derrick01 said:
For a single player game I've never seen that either. The most I saw previously was Deus Ex Human Revolution with "only" 55,000.

Well played Skyrim.

Portal 2 had about 100K its first day, I believe. 125K is impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom