• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got three hired goons after me too, they were quite strong, so I cast Fury onto them one at a time, which made them flip out and attack random villagers, so the whole village turned against and slaughtered them while I stood back and watched

Pollux

also has anyone figured out who to talk to in Whiterun to buy a house? I'm 4 or 5 hours in and this game is just amazing.

so much better than oblivion, and at the moment I would even put it ahead of Morrowind. GOTY for me.

Assemble!

Quick question. How long does it take to fight your first dragon if you stick with the story line until then?

Having some friends over for a Skyrim party and can't decide whether to stick with main storyline or just go wandering for a few hours. We're starting at the very beginning.

Joe Molotov

zmoney said:
also has anyone figured out who to talk to in Whiterun to buy a house? I'm 4 or 5 hours in and this game is just amazing.

I can't remember the guy's name, but you can buy a house from the Jarl's personal assistant dude for 5k.

So, due to my mom having no sanctity for birthday gifts, she let my brother purchase the game I was going to give him for his birthday on the 27th (Batman: Arkham City). So, rather than play that, I am returning that fucker and purchasing Skyrim. I can't wait!

zmoney said:
also has anyone figured out who to talk to in Whiterun to buy a house? I'm 4 or 5 hours in and this game is just amazing

Two options - talk either to
Proventus, the Jarl's aide
or someone else in the middle section, whose name I can't remember (someone will chip in here). You also need to have made a certain amount of progress to be eligible to buy a house there, and it's 5,000, which is too much money for me right now, and I'm doing quite well thieving and selling everything I come into contact with.

Fjord

Just burst out laughing when I went to load up the game again and saw 'hit ENTER for yes, TAB for no' Are you kidding me?

Pollux

blahblah...blah said:
Two options - talk either to
Proventus, the Jarl's aide
or someone else in the middle section, whose name I can't remember (someone will chip in here). You also need to have made a certain amount of progress to be eligible to buy a house there, and it's 5,000, which is too much money for me right now, and I'm doing quite well thieving and selling everything I come into contact with.
cool thanks.

can anyone sum up how to use the pelts?

Derrick01

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
i'd love if reloading didn't save you from retalation. hopefully they made it happen.

That would be nice as long as I didn't have a hostile village but I didn't know the name of the guy who hired them.

I'm thinking that if you steal enough you'll get that from time to time even when you're not caught.

Echoplx

Wallach said:
Here's a random question: were you guys level 2 by the time you left the "intro" section and were set out into the world?

I think I was still level 3 when I killed my first dragon >.> I'm a bit confused on how fast I should be leveling, how much XP do you get for handing in quests?

bengraven

Speaking of houses, where the hell is the house in Whiterun? Breezehollow or whatever. I've been running around all three tiers and haven't seen it.

(well, two tiers, the third tier is just the castle so it's kind of cheap to call it another tier)

Derrick01 said:
I killed 3 thugs who came after me in the middle of nowhere, 1 had a contract on them from someone who wanted payback for me stealing.

Problem is the few times I was caught stealing/pickpocketing I reloaded to avoid an entire village coming after me....

Balehead said:
Just a random chain of events caused by my failure at pickpocketing some poor bastard:

I was resting outside, woke up to 3 thugs who yelled that they would kill me. I dealt with them and found one of them carrying a contract. It basically said that "Punish him for trying to steal from me -[His name as a signature]". He and his wife died in their sleep that same night.

Pretty cool.

I was leaving the Riverrun trader when three thugs came walking down from the mountain. I watched them a bit, wondering if they were going to bully some people and start a quest, but I had no idea there were actually after me.

So they killed me. 5 or 6 times. I finally ran into one of those roped walls and kept them at a distance on the ground, then ran to the far end and kept them at a distance when they came up into the wall.

Their contract said that a "Moira" wanted me dead for theft.

Anyone else come in contact with a Moira? I had only played 2 in-game days and only visited Alise's cabin, the huntress by the river and Riverrun.

If Balehead's story is precise, than Moira must be someone ingame that I stole from...weird.

Seanspeed

Banned
I asked this in the other thread, but I'll ask it here, too in case it gets ignored:

Does installing the game(360 here) help with the long loading times I get when bringing up my magic/inventory/map/skill screen and hotkey buttons? They'll come up, but then I cant do anything for like 10 seconds sometimes.

anddo0

Went with a female Breton. I hope I don't regret this choice. It was between Breton, Nord and Wood Elf. I didn't pick Nord because that seems to be the class everyone is picking.

bengraven

anddo0 said:
Went with a female Breton. I hope I don't regret this choice. It was between Breton, Nord and Wood Elf. I didn't pick Nord because that seems to be the class everyone is picking.

Kind of regret not going Breton since I'm basically playing a Battlemage now.

That said, when making my character I decided on Imperial over Nord. I wanted someone who was fucking hated. Maybe I should have been an elf or beast.

zedge

Is PS3 version worth getting? Any one here share their thoughts if they have it? I am more interested in the performance than slight graphical differences.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
PC version here. Everything on Ultra with shadows on high. Very nice performance outside of some spots. Shadows on ultra make it a slideshow. Hope they patch that.

My character? Pure Conan. Take your magic and shove it. =D

Kintaro said:
PC version here. Everything on Ultra with shadows on high. Very nice performance outside of some spots. Shadows on ultra make it a slideshow. Hope they patch that.

My character? Pure Conan. Take your magic and shove it. =D

*Fists*

MMaRsu said:
Hey so someone please tell me how to get to the greybeards..
Go to Ivarstead by travelling to Helgen and following the path around the Throat of the World. You'll find the first of the 7.000 steps just outside of Ivarstead.

PONGSTAR

Banned
SWEET - shows "Out for Delivery"

george-bush-dance.gif

SpudBud

PC version here. Performance issues aside, This is game fucking rocks.

Did oblivion have to ability to stagger enemies with a shield bash?

Ikuu said:
If you open the console in-game you'll disable achievements

Source? Can anyone confirm this? Some people in the PC Performance thread said it isn't true. I mainly want to use the "tm" command to remove the UI when taking screenshots.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Goddamn, messing with the character creation and everyone looks like a pure evil asshole. Since I'm doing an archery run, I made a Breton and spent at least 30 minutes tweaking sliders just trying to make my character not look possessed by some devil. Those eye choices...yikes.

Hit with a bug in the opening that didn't have my character on the cart after the 'Bethesda Presents' logos and instead was locked into place staring at the wheel of the cart while the scripting failed to load(360). Forced a restart and everything was cool, but not a good sign.

Also have noticed the texture bug as well, lots of textures definitely not loading properly for me either(I installed on 360). Hope for a fix soon.

Neat so far, but I quit when I reached the overworld after the midnight launch. So I haven't done anything yet really.

Are high elves the best choice in Skyrim? +50 magicka is a pretty significant stat boost by comparison of the other classes. So what I am saying is I can make a high elf as good of a swordsman as a redguard with the +50 magicka bonus. Is this correct?

W1SSY

Just picked it up from Kmart and all ready I love the fact that I got the cloth map and the manual is 20 color pages. I kind of hate how manuals nowadays are almost nothing so when it is good I am quite impressed.

Clevinger

I can't decide between which skills I want to specialize in. I'm having a lot of fun with so many of them. I have a feeling this is going to bite me in the ass when I'm going against stronger enemies.

Yo Gotti

Banned
The leveling system in this game might be the best leveling system I've ever experienced in an RPG.

The addition of perks alongside your levels that can actually change the gameplay drastically is too addictive, and there's so many it's ridiculous. Instead of just getting "better" at a skill you can actually modify it to behave differently. Love it.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
Source? Can anyone confirm this? Some people in the PC Performance thread said it isn't true. I mainly want to use the "tm" command to remove the UI when taking screenshots.

I've opened the console and still got my achievements.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why would I use Light Armor over Heavy Armor? Looking at the skill trees now, and I can make Heavy Armor weigh nothing with a certain perk.

edit: maybe Heavy Armor makes more noise?

Wallach

shadowsdarknes said:
Are high elves the best choice in Skyrim? +50 magicka is a pretty significant stat boost by comparison of the other classes. So what I am saying is I can make a high elf as good of a swordsman as a redguard with the +50 magicka bonus. Is this correct?

50 magicka isn't a bad bonus, but if you're a swordsman I'm not sure what having more magicka is going to do for you in the long run. Their greater power wouldn't be as useful as Adrenaline Rush (Redguard) or Berserker (Orc) for someone who spends most of their time doing melee attacks. That isn't to say it would be bad, but their racial bonuses are entirely geared towards spellcasting, so if you don't plan on doing much of that you won't get much mileage out of their racial powers.

TheExodu5 said:
Why would I use Light Armor over Heavy Armor? Looking at the skill trees now, and I can make Heavy Armor weigh nothing with a certain perk.

Heavy armor makes twice as much noise as light armor for the purposes of stealth, I believe. The perk in Sneak doesn't eliminate armor noise, only cuts it in half. Plus unique light armors are probably more often going to have bonuses towards stealth-related stuff whereas heavy armors are almost guaranteed not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom