• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I'm kind of interested in picking this up, but my main question is - Hows the combat? I had a hard time getting into oblivion because of how boring/shitty/janky the melee combat could be.

Does all the dragons you kill make your learn a shout ?
I killed namesless dragons (names "Dragon"), he died, I absorbed his spirit or whatever, but no shout :(

Lakitu

st5fu
Damn, the game has lived up to my expectations just only based on the first few hours. I've just been spending most of my time around Riverwood, in fact, I've not done much exploration at all. I did find
Embershard Mine, which was full of easy bandits
. There's so much to do... the alchemy, the crafting, it's brilliant. I've already received tons of quests and that's just by going to Riverwood.

Combat feels improved, meatier and it feels good to get a finisher. I'm still combining combat styles using destruction and one handed weapons as well as two handed. At this point I haven't even touched Restoration because I haven't needed to use it. It seems like Magicka, Stamina and Health regenerate very quickly. But it could also be due to the fact that I've not encountered any tough enemies, only Wolves and Bandits.

I like the nice little touches throughout the game like the
skeleton of the miner in the collapsed tunnels in Embershard Mine.
Or going into the Tavern and asking the Bard to play a song, I also made a new drinking friend there :) I shall visit him occasionally!

I've only touched like 1 or 2% of the game and I'm already in love.

Is it safe for me to store my loot at Gerdur's house? I've been picking up so much, selling stuff I don't need.

Just going to continue playing, and take my time. I'll probably end up doing the
Golden Claw quest at Bleak Falls Barrow next
but it's kind of hard because there's so much to do.

As a side-note, I have the game installed and I've not seen any blurry textures yet. Fingers crossed.

Just found out that the install size for this game on the 360 is 3.8gb. That's surprising. With a game that's over 100hours with tons of audio, I would've thought it'd be on two discs!

Forkball

I also hate giant spiders. Developers put them in games to troll us. Once I get Skyrim I am totally getting the no spiders mod.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
I'm trying to stay away from these threads, but I just can't seem to stop torturing myself.

Both my wife's car and my car started acting up this week, and we decided we need to replace both early next year, so we're on spending hiatus. Last night I resorted to booting up Morrowind.

Wazzim

Banned
JonStark said:
I killed namesless dragons (names "Dragon"), he died, I absorbed his spirit or whatever, but no shout :(
Oh wow. That must mean the NPC's fucking lied to us. Must go back and kill them as revenge!

kai3345

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
Are quest NPCs immortal?
Some are, I went on a rampage through the Whitetown or whatever its called and one of the guys wouldnt die.

I wish they would have done it New Vegas style where anyone can die and the story adjusts accordingly.

Zerokku said:
So I'm kind of interested in picking this up, but my main question is - Hows the combat? I had a hard time getting into oblivion because of how boring/shitty/janky the melee combat could be.

I enjoy it. Magic usage is much smoother. I am casting in one hand, sword in other. Its a lot more involved this time around, because you can't just go in with a sword and keep pressing a trigger to win.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
3chopl0x said:
I think I was still level 3 when I killed my first dragon >.> I'm a bit confused on how fast I should be leveling, how much XP do you get for handing in quests?

I've just been leveling based off of the skills leveling up, haven't even done a quest yet and I'm level 7.

Um, I just got my head put down on the chopping block and now I seem to be stuck there, is there something I can do to make the game progress? I'm on the ps3 version.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
JonStark said:

You learn the shouts from word walls, you can use the shout if you spend the dragon souls on the word

Lakitu said:
Damn, the game has lived up to my expectations just only based on the first few hours. I've just been spending most of my time around Riverwood, in fact, I've not done much exploration at all. I did find
Embershard Mine, which was full of easy bandits
. There's so much to do... the alchemy, the crafting, it's brilliant. I've already received tons of quests and that's just by going to Riverwood.

Combat feels improved, meatier and it feels good to get a finisher. I'm still combining combat styles using destruction and one handed weapons as well as two handed. At this point I haven't even touched Restoration because I haven't needed to use it. It seems like Magicka, Stamina and Health regenerate very quickly. But it could also be due to the fact that I've not encountered any tough enemies, only Wolves and Bandits.

I like the nice little touches throughout the game like the
skeleton of the miner in the collapsed tunnels in Embershard Mine.
Or going into the Tavern and asking the Bard to play a song, I also made a new drinking friend there :) I shall visit him occasionally!

I've only touched like 1 or 2% of the game and I'm already in love.

Is it safe for me to store my loot at Gerdur's house? I've been picking up so much, selling stuff I don't need.

Just going to continue playing, and take my time. I'll probably end up doing the
Golden Claw quest at Bleak Falls Barrow next
but it's kind of hard because there's so much to do.

As a side-note, I have the game installed and I've not seen any blurry textures yet. Fingers crossed.

Just make sure that you are prepared before you go to
bleak falls
. I was shocked how long/involved it was. >1hr for a dungeon? Yikes!

Forkball said:
I also hate giant spiders. Developers put them in games to troll us. Once I get Skyrim I am totally getting the no spiders mod.
Xenoblade is the king of giant spider trollish encounters, they do the whole one MASSIVE leg pops into view and then BAM huge queen spider on top of you, that kind of shit is evil

Tieno

Mr Killemgood said:
Just make sure that you are prepared before you go to
bleak falls
. I was shocked how long/involved it was. >1hr for a dungeon? Yikes!
Yeah, I was thinking of doing a little side quest and it felt like I was on a main quest or something.

Anno

Is it possible just to become just a complete baller in summoning creatures to fight for you or raising them from the dead? I enjoy the thought of roaming around with crazy magical beasts at my beckon call.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay... I passed through the intro (even with sensitivity and sound problems)... best intro in an Elder Scrolls game. Color me surprised, I'm loving it.

So, so good.

IZFYjl.jpg

DrBo42

That starting area is so unimpressive but once you leave that certain place and see the world in front of you...my god. It's glorious. Really digging my Breton battlemage type character so far, can't wait to dive back in after work. Also, 3rd person is actually pretty awesome this time.

kottila

5 hours left of downloading, on a machine that's under the minimum specs. Not sure why I'm bothering...hopefully I can play with the absolute minimum of graphics

mu cephei

Norua said:
Downloading it on Steam right now. Don't know why, but the download is SLOW. Like 70 KB/S slow. Is it because Steam is overwhelmed by all the downloads or something? Because aside of that my connexion seems fine.
5h30 remaining :(

Yeah, I installed it from disk but it won't let me play until it downloads some updates or some such, they're coming down at 40 kbs grr argh.

First it wouldn't let me play yesterday when my game arrived early, now it won't let me play even though I've intalled the damn thing.

Completed my first dungeon, it was fantastic! A real step up in variety and atmosphere, plus my pockets are now overflowing with loot - excellent!

Loving the spells so far, they sound great too (as does the music!).

Klocker

about to go pick up my 360 version... can someone bring me up to speed?
So I still want to install this to a flash drive instead of HDD due to texture bug or did that get fixed?

thanks

Derrick01

Banned
I've already become a klepto and have close to 3k gold in only like 5 hours. Pickpocketing and all the other thief/assassin skills are too much fun now. Bethesda seems to have really knocked the leveling out of the park with this, lots of cool perks and only so few points to get them. Encourages lots of sacrifice and experimentation, as well as multiple playthroughs.

Did all copies come with the map printed on thick hessian / burlap kind of paper in the end? I recall it being touted as some kind of pre-order bonus with others receiving a standard glossy paper edition, but I bought it today and it came with the fancy one.

Klocker said:
about to go pick up my 360 version... can someone bring me up to speed?
So I still want to install this to a flash drive instead of HDD due to texture bug or did that get fixed?

thanks

I got the texture bug when installed to HDD, installed to USB and haven't seen the bug since (after several hours of play).

What's the best difficulty to go with? Do enemies still scale and stuff?

I'll happily play it on expert but not if it just means 20 hits instead of 10.

Pollux

Just hit lvl 10 on my Nord warrior. This game is fucking amazing. I can't think of a single complaint.

Now, as I always do in TES games, I'm making my alt. Gonna roll a mage/assassin. Dunmer I think. Focus on Destruction, Illusion and Stealth. Should be interesting...lol

Also, where do I find the Dark Brotherhood? I got a quest about some girl looking for them or something but when I try to find the location it tells me to go off the coast past Windhelm...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
not being familiar with these games is there some trick to winning fights?

Is there a dodge button or something? I feel pretty useless even when I'm blocking.

I have a question for you, my dear Skyrim players:

I need a dagger. Or more "sneaky sneaky" weapons. I'm doing missions for the dark brotherhood, but I just don't like to kill people with dual swords or something, it's just not right.

Does anyone know where I can get some? Am I missing something?

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
TheDrowningMan said:
Did all copies come with the map printed on thick hessian / burlap kind of paper in the end? I recall it being touted as some kind of pre-order bonus with others receiving a standard glossy paper edition, but I bought it today and it came with the fancy one.
They were included with all first-run boxes, so pre-order wasn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom