• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just got my CE guide.

It's massive, and it seems absolutely jam packed with info.

It's not quite as nice as the Dark Souls guide. The pages are matte and a little rough (kind of like a paperback novel), not smooth and glossy like the ones in the Dark Souls guide.

Aside from the material, I think we have a winner with this one.

Shiiiiit downloading from Steam is super slow, 60 KB average. I bought it in the store but I don't have a disk drive connected so I can't install it that way. Wondering if I should use another computer and create an image file of the disk, put it on a USB and mount it on my main PC so I don't have to wait till tomorrow. There's no problem with steam not updating patches etc when installing from disk right?

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, it actually counts as an arrow in your inventory, so either sell or drop your arrows from your inventory screen and it should disappear. It's being fixed in a future patch.
Well I acidentally sold all my arrows (for nothing, even though I don't need them) a while ago. I can't drop any arrows if I don't have any.

Edit: what the fuck after look through everything in my inventory and noticing I have no arrows, the arrow in my back is now gone! Weird.

I stealthed up to what I thought was a wolf and killed it, turned out to be a hunter's dog leaving the hunter quite pissed off so she tried to kill me. As I fought back I got a bounty of 1000 and then it wen't away when I killed her due to no witnesses.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
TheExodu5 said:
Just got my CE guide.

It's massive, and it seems absolutely jam packed with info.

It's not quite as nice as the Dark Souls guide. The pages are matte and a little rough (kind of like a paperback novel), not smooth and glossy like the ones in the Dark Souls guide.

Aside from the material, I think we have a winner with this one.

I got that as well. It's massive and dense with a ton of information. Well worth it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Fucking finally! Fixed the sensitivity and low volume problem, time to actually play the game!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Treemonkeys said:
I stealthed up to what I thought was a wolf and killed it, turned out to be a hunter's dog leaving the hunter quite pissed off so she tried to kill me. As I fought back I got a bounty of 1000 and then it wen't away when I killed her due to no witnesses.

I love these stories of Skyrim.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
This game is simply incredible.

I just wanted to hop on to see what everyone was saying, but dang, this game is getting my pants tighter than any other game in the last couple years.

Bravo.

Government-man said:
Shiiiiit downloading from Steam is super slow, 60 KB average. I bought it in the store but I don't have a disk drive connected so I can't install it that way. Wondering if I should use another computer and create an image file of the disk, put it on a USB and mount it on my main PC so I don't have to wait till tomorrow. There's no problem with steam not updating patches etc when installing from disk right?

In the past for big releases that I didn't preload I would set my Steam location to something less popular and get super fast downloads again. One of the African servers or something should suffice.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Did someone say they successfully bound their weapons to the number keys? I'd like to know how to do this, it's cumbersome as shit trying to change weapons and spells.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
I want to play this game, but I don't want to pay 60 bucks for it. :(

Gamefly/Redbox

Wait until black friday where it will probably be 40$ online everywhere.

Wait until Xmas for inevitable steam sale.

TP17

Completed the tutorial and made it to the first village, before jumping off to get some food.

Decided on an Argonian male as I thought they looked cool, much better than in Oblivion. Loved the introduction, and found myself going around with a one-handed axe in my right hand and a destruction spell in my left. Probably going to focus on those two for combat, but also dip into the other magical areas, but I'll develop it as I play. Now to jump straight back in :)

Freki

belvedere said:
Did someone say they successfully bound their weapons to the number keys? I'd like to know how to do this, it's cumbersome as shit trying to change weapons and spells.

I'd like to know that as well - for some reason they get unbound again if I draw them...

stuminus3

Jesus H Christ, 195,574 people currently playing on Steam. It'd be 195,575 but I'm at work, can't play again for another few hours. The actual sales figure must be crazy. So much for PC gaming being dead! Shame Bethesda fudged the port...

Rad-

Damn this feels pretty awesome. Could it be Bethesda is back? I disliked Oblivion and Fallout 3 but I'm enjoying this atm.

I also broke the game already. Entered the first village and rubberbanded my character to sneak against a corner. Went to take a shit, came back and he had leveled sneak 8 levels lol... Got to stop this, I don't usually like exploiting stuff too much.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Rabbitwork said:
the magic combat in this game is so much improved over oblivion its insane. first time ever i'm playing a mage character and loving it.

Gotta agree, i'm fucking amazed at how much better magic is in this game. Cold is so good, enemies barely get to move while getting pounded hahaha!

But I got a question: on one of the promo videos, one of the devs showcased how one can use a souped up version of a spell if its equipped on both hands - how to perform it? I haven't been able to =/

Bitmap Frogs said:
Gotta agree, i'm fucking amazed at how much better magic is in this game. Cold is so good, enemies barely get to move while getting pounded hahaha!

But I got a question: on one of the promo videos, one of the devs showcased how one can use a souped up version of a spell if its equipped on both hands - how to perform it? I haven't been able to =/
its a perk in the destruction tree. one of the earliest ones.

Loxley

So I had my first random dragon encounter, it was amazing. I was hunting Elk for pelts just outside of Whiterun so I could make some leather and refine my armor, when all of the sudden dat music kicks in and I see the dragon's shadow on the ground, I look up and it's fucking making a B-line right towards me.

There's no way in hell I was going to try and take this thing on by myself, so I decide that I can either make some half-hearted attempt to solo this thing, or I can make a break for Whiterun (I'm just within running distance of it) to lure the dragon into the 6-8 guards that are in the town, so I chose the latter. I barely made it there alive as the dragon was breathing fire on my ass the entire way there. But, it worked like a charm. It circled the town a few times, landed on the roof of the inn and all the guards (myself included) just started hammering it with arrows. Eventually it was so bloodied that it landed on a small piece of land in the middle of the river next to the town.

What was the first thing to charge directly at the dragon to take it on face to face once it landed? Tha blackmsith's old-ass dog, Stumpy. To my horror, the dragon quickly deep-fried it and it keeled over, for whatever fucking reason, seeing that was more gut-wrenching that many scripted moments in other games that are meant to tug at the heart-strings. Of all these badass guards, it was the dog that lead the charge to kill the dragon.

We managed to take it out with no casualties (other than...*sniff*... Stumpy) and the entire town went bananas. I'll spoiler the rest.
They lost their shit because they had witnessed me absorb the dragon soul, which up to that point they'd only heard about but never seen. So instead of saying to me "I heard you absorbed a dragon's soul?" Now they were saying "Fucking shit you absorbed a dragon soul O.O I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes". I thought it was awesome for a dyamic event to effect the town's reaction to me like that.

This game...

stufte

So an interesting thing:

I was in an inn last night, talking to the barkeep, when I decided to start sneaking around to try and find something to steal. As i was sneaking around in some other room, I hear this "AHEM" from behind me. I turned around to find the barkeep standing right behind me. The barkeep noticed I was being shifty and decided to follow me around.

whoops.jpg

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I feel kind of bored just playing a sword & shield Nord. I'm want to start dual-wielding two swords or one sword and a destruction spell. The problem is not having a way to block, which I've started to become reliant on.

That said, I'm only level 5 so I still have some time before I get deep into a build. I'm loving the hell out of the game regardless, especially now that I've killed my first dragon. I just want more out of my character.

Randy

TP17 said:
Completed the tutorial and made it to the first village, before jumping off to get some food.

Decided on an Argonian male as I thought they looked cool, much better than in Oblivion. Loved the introduction, and found myself going around with a one-handed axe in my right hand and a destruction spell in my left. Probably going to focus on those two for combat, but also dip into the other magical areas, but I'll develop it as I play. Now to jump straight back in :)

Argonians unite!

Salacious Crumb

MirageDwarf said:
192,047 Players on just Steam in less than 24 hrs.

Compare that to this: 250,000 The Witcher 2 on all digital distro from May 17 – October 30

Remember it's a steamworks game, no matter where you buy it from you have to play it on steam. 200,000 simultaneous players is pretty fucking amazing though.

Skyrim>MW3

PC Dudes know whats up.

CassSept

As someone who absolutely loved Morrowind and thought Oblivion was the such an epitome of blandness that it made it unplayable for me should I love Skyrim? Seriously considering getting the game after chewing through SS but I don't want to make a mistake of blindly going into the game.

Rad-

CassSept said:
As someone who absolutely loved Morrowind and thought Oblivion was the such an epitome of blandness that it made it unplayable for me should I love Skyrim? Seriously considering getting the game after chewing through SS but I don't want to make a mistake of blindly going into the game.

I felt the same way and I'm loving this so far. The main things are the more varied dungeons and better art style.

Shane86

belvedere said:
favourite a weapon, press q, highlight the weapon and press what number you want it on

Proc

Just how bad of a pc port is it?

I have a rig that can most likely max it out but if the differences are minimal then I might just get the ps3 version.

woober

Proc said:

I have a rig that can most likely max it out but if the differences are minimal then I might just get the ps3 version.

PC version would still be the version to get, especially if you're going to mod the game.

newsguy

For those like me (couldn't get into oblivion): Skyrim is much better at drawing and keeping your attention. I've playes about 5 hours and I already enjoy it more than the 10 or so hours I ended up playing oblivion. I do have the OCD issue where a misc quest will say "go talk to person x" and i freak the fuck out when i cant find that person anywhere. When that happens j simply move on to the next, but that's something I've gotten better with age.

Cutwolf

PC version is great, particularly if you can play with the 360 controller (which I have been doing until modders get a more PC friendly interface out there).

Anyway, this game is so awesome.

I was in a town and tried to fast travel across the map for a quest and it kept telling me an enemy was nearby.

I'm like wtf...

Then a red dot...

then a dragon.

Random dragon invasion ftw.

Derrick01

Banned
Proc said:

It's clearly a console port but it's probably the most stable Bethesda game I've played, no crashes or crazy bugs yet. My framerate takes a bit of a dive in villages and towns though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I was going to read all the books because I like to do that... But then I saw how many books were in just one house and how long some are.

To get skill ups fromcertain ones or feats/achievements(dont even know if there's one or not) do I just need to open it or flip through all the pages?

stuminus3

stutte said:
So an interesting thing:

I was in an inn last night, talking to the barkeep, when I decided to start sneaking around to try and find something to steal. As i was sneaking around in some other room, I hear this "AHEM" from behind me. I turned around to find the barkeep standing right behind me. The barkeep noticed I was being shifty and decided to follow me around.
That happens in every Elder Scrolls game (and Fallout 3/NV). The AI is simply programmed to get annoyed if you go somewhere they don't want you to be.

Pat

Oh GOD I love this game.

I tried to kill that dragon even if I knew it was suicide, but something really interesting happened. While sneaking, I shot an arrow so it started to fly to look for me I guess but it went the wrong way so I ran to catch it (yeah, I was truly running after a fucking' dragon). Eventually, since he was a lot faster than me, I lost it.

But then, as I continued my way, I heard fire and battle shouts. I looked down from the mountain and was amazed to see the dragon was actually attacking a village it found while looking for me. I could not do anything from where I was so I watched the show. When the dragon's HP meter was kind of low, it fled the battle to rest and flew up... totally near me. Since it wasn't moving, I sneaked up to it and assassinated that bitch and got all the credits for it. What's really amazing to me it's that nothing was intended. I mean if the dragon found me at first sight, the villagers would have been spared. I only hope now I didn't lost a lot of quests from that village now, because the save file is already overwrited. :D

That's exactly that kind of experience I love from games and I don't think it can happen in many of them. Only that is enough for me to say that Skyrim is my GOTY 2011.

brentech

My copy from Amazon arrived via UPS a few hours ago.
As I haven't had much time to play, I'm still working on Uncharted 3 and probably won't start playing Skyrim until I finish my first playthrough. I have a hard time putting time into multiple single player experiences at the same time.

Really pumped for it though. Hopefully any bugs will get patched in the meantime (PS3 version). More than likely will at least boot it up and have a gander at sometime this weekend.

TheContact

Door2Dawn said:
I want to play this game, but I don't want to pay 60 bucks for it. :(

I've paid $60 for games that last me about 10-15 hours until there's nothing more you can do. You'll never run out of things to do in this game. Instantly worth over $60.

bounchfx

I'm confused as shit, first main quest/ golden claw quest, big spider drops from ceiling. Insta kills me. What the fuck? everything else in the dungeon has been appropriate. Why is this dude so powerful? Anyone else having trouble with this?

mileS

Ok I understand the favorites for weapons and spells but how does the "quick select" or whatever work? Like If I have a shield and 1hand and I want to switch to my healing spell instead of shield without using the favorite menu.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
mileS said:
Ok I understand the favorites for weapons and spells but how does the "quick select" or whatever work? Like If I have a shield and 1hand and I want to switch to my healing spell instead of shield without using the favorite menu.

You can make 2 short cuts from your favourite list, using left and right on the D-pad, make your shield and Heal spell your two short cuts, then you can swap between the both with the D-pad.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Well... I just went to the stores and accidentally bought the game. That's right, I accidentally bought it. And now I'm here with the PC-version and I'm not even sure if my stupid PC can play this game without chopping to hell... and I haven't got the balls to start installing the game because I'm afraid ;_;

Return it for console version then when you have a better PC and there are Mods released and it's 10/15 $ on a steam sale go back to it?

Goddamn UPS delivered to the wrong address. Now what, I just wait to see if whoever they delivered to brings it here? Fucking hell. Maybe I'll just get the dl version now and send it back if it turns up or get a refund.

moojito

One thing that's slightly more awesome than the many other awesome things in this game is how it marks dungeons you've been through as "cleared" on your map.

Also, just found one of those treasure maps like you get in RDR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom