• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

styl3s

Gorgon said:
Destruction&Healing on left hand, single-sword on right hand. Can't go wrong with that and it's supper fun.

EDIT: and bow for sneaking&sniping shit, of course.
Yeah that's how i have been playing, sword or mace? im only like 2 hours in and about an hour ive used a sword and the other hour a mace, i have been spending most my time just running around collecting shit and mining shit lol

i am addicted to farming crap.

Fjordson

Deadstar said:
I don't know much about the game. Is it viable to go pure mage or should I be using a one handed weapon as well? I'm the race that has a spell which increases magic regeneration for 60 seconds.
Absolutely. Destruction magic is one of the best, if not the best, offensive tools in the game right now.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm sure I remember in the early stages of Oblivion that if you used stealth and a bow and arrow combo you usually killed first time in the dungeon levels. In Skyrim, it just tends to piss them off.

Asked this in the console performance thread, but worth asking here as well. How well does Skyrim utilize a 5.1 home theater system? Does it do a good job of immersing you with the sound? My PS3 is in the living room with my larger/better television and the 5.1 system, while 360 is in my office with a still nice tv and 2.1 system. I have preferences in both directions on which version I should pick up.

evlcookie said:
206,000 are currently playing the game on steam. Holy shitballs.
There will be over 200,000 people making excuses for not being social tonight (myself included). If anyone asks, "I'm not feeling that great, need to rest after a rough week at work..."

I wonder what the peak will be this weekend...

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
Hrmm, I don't suppose anyone's seen the Shield Charge perk yet? "Sprinting with a shield raised knocks down most targets". That sounds like it could be entertaining.

When picking up/purchasing/selling items, what does the little triangle mean next to the item? Is that the game telling you that it's a good item for you?

Also, I'm not sure I understand enchanting. I destroyed my boots that gave me 25 more carrying capacity so that I could learn to do it on any boots. But now when I try to enchant it gives me a measly 1 (ONE) extra carrying capacity point.

Dizzy-4U

Dual wielding mage is so fun to use. I'm gonna stick with that (and a little archery). Graphics aren't that bad maxed on PC. I'm gonna finish the vanilla run and then start modding for the next playthrough.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
_tetsuo_ said:
Played about 2 hours. Textures assault my brain. Interface assaults mouse and keyboard users. Other than that, I like it.
Use a 360 wired pad. It's so much easier.

Noaloha

Cutwolf said:
How? Pressing the d pad in either direction just changes or backs up the menus.
Hold left and right inside the Favourites List to set your hot-keys (ie. inside the menu which appears when you hit up or down to initially access the Favourites).

Tesseract said:
riverwood's local bard, sven, becomes your slave after completing his quest for love. so i order him to kill the town dog. as soon as the dog dies, gerdur attacks sven. they duel. she wins but is merciful to sven. as she's walking away, sven pulls out a bow and arrows her face. gerdur is fucking dead. sven puts away his bow, walks inside the inn, and plays his instrument.

LOL
love this story!

Good lord... can't wait to be done with work!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
DigitalDevil said:
So how is the quality of the hardcover guide?

I won't even get the game until christmas :/

But the guide comes on monday!
Pretty damn solid I'd say. I don't have much experience with strategy guides, but I made an exception for this one, and I think it's very nice.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
One of my very few problems with the game is the in-game world map. It's completely useless at seeing anything but icons on a foggy 3D model of a landscape. It doesn't show roads or rivers, which makes planning a route to take a chore.

BadTaste

Met an Ice Troll for the first time and couldn't beat him, then I stupidly quick saved just before he killed me, so I'm in a continuous loop of ragdoll deaths, and my last save is like 40 minutes ago..

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MisterAnderson said:
Does increasing magicka/health/stamina do anything aside from increase the amount of points it has? Like does increasing magicka also increase spell damage?

Increasing stamina increases your carrying capacity by 5 for every point you put into it.

Not sure about the others...

Lakitu

st5fu
Amazing Steam numbers. Good to see.

I'm about half way through Bleak Falls Barrow. The design is bloody amazing, I hope all the dungeons are as good as this. I'm doing my little Bethesda habit of using a body or chest near the start of the dungeon to store my loot then getting it after I finish. Loving this so far.

I also had trouble with the
wounded frostbite spider. I also couldn't catch that pesky thief because my stamina was so low until he ran into Draugr. They fucked him up. :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Where can I buy a
pickaxe
in
whiterun
?

And do skill books look different than regular books in the world?

Loxley

FlyinJ said:
One of my very few problems with the game is the in-game world map. It's completely useless at seeing anything but icons on a foggy 3D model of a landscape. It doesn't show roads or rivers, which makes planning a route to take a chore.

Definitely my biggest gripe with it. I guess I'll wait for some mod to come along and make roads visible on the map :/

PC version or 360 version?

I know the answer is always the PC one if you can run it, but I dont know. My PC is a little old, but still pretty rockin:

i7
6gigs of ram
and a GTX 275 I think, or maybe a 285, haha.

Id be playing with a 360 controller and on my big screen tv no matter which version I get (assuming the PC version handles a 360 controller well)

I guess what im asking, is will it run really well on my PC, and does the PC version use a 360 controller correctly, like in Deus Ex where it changes all the button promps, and essentially becomes a 360 game.

Derrick01

Banned
commish said:
Sooooooooo is this better than Witcher 2 so far?

2 different experiences, cliched but it's completely true. Witcher 2 is story driven and this is exploration and freedom driven.

I'm having more fun with Skyrim though.

yeoz

styl3s said:
Anyone playing 1h+shield? 1+magic? or dual? i am really really torn between picking, i really want to use magic like fire/ice but i also want to be able to fuck shit up melee style with dual wield or 1h+shield but i just can't decide.

my fate is in your hands!
I'm 1h+magic until I run out of magicka, then I swap in for dual wield. seems to work ok!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Bethesda, add an option to play the game on a secondary monitor (my TV) in the settings. Deus Ex:HR did it, you should be able to too.

QP3

DigitalDevil said:
So how is the quality of the hardcover guide?

I won't even get the game until christmas :/

But the guide comes on monday!

I talked myself into the hard cover guide. It is fantastic and absolutely top quality. The amount of content in it is amazing!

cyberheater

RaySpencer said:
PC version or 360 version?

I know the answer is always the PC one if you can run it, but I dont know. My PC is a little old, but still pretty rockin:

i7
6gigs of ram
and a GTX 275 I think, or maybe a 285, haha.

Id be playing with a 360 controller and on my big screen tv no matter which version I get (assuming the PC version handles a 360 controller well)

I guess what im asking, is will it run really well on my PC, and does the PC version use a 360 controller correctly, like in Deus Ex where it changes all the button promps, and essentially becomes a 360 game.
Easily get the PC version. It will look a lot better then the console versions and will run fine on your rig.

bounchfx

bounchfx said:
I'm confused as shit, first main quest/ golden claw quest, big spider drops from ceiling. Insta kills me. What the fuck? everything else in the dungeon has been appropriate. Why is this dude so powerful? Anyone else having trouble with this?

just looked at my settings. It was set to the hardest fucking difficulty! so I dropped it from 'Master' to 'Expert' and now I'm having a better time than having to kite every time. yeesh! Might drop it down one more so I can be less tense all the time, this isn't supposed to be Dark Souls, haha.

Does anyone else like to stick two fingers up at the game design and do a 180 when you first get out into the world? They always try and guide you down a friendly path into some introductory town. I tend to head in the complete opposite direction.

Rad-

styl3s said:
Anyone playing 1h+shield? 1+magic? or dual? i am really really torn between picking, i really want to use magic like fire/ice but i also want to be able to fuck shit up melee style with dual wield or 1h+shield but i just can't decide.

my fate is in your hands!

Try right hand for dagger backstabs, left for magic. Really fun playing this way.

Woorloog

Banned
My CE Game Guide is late, got email saying "it is late" but nothing else really. Hmph. Not good.
Killed a few dragons today, once fight was ridiculous. I try to take it down, no luck. Reload earlier and do something else and later i went to same place (it seems that some places have always a dragon) and this time the fight was a cake walk. I had maybe one more level.
Love this game. It is like combination of Morrowind and Oblivion without bad stuff. Well nothing major anyway.
Anyone else noticed that AA has some issues if you stand in light and look at shadowed area? Characters get this funny "highlight".

Now to look for Dwarven Axe, Boots and Gauntlets.

styl3s

Derrick01 said:
You get 2 firewood for every piece you cut but I haven't found what you can do with them yet.
yeah i spent like 20 minutes just chopping and chopping and chopping lol

styl3s

Woorloog said:
My CE Game Guide is late, got email saying "it is late" but nothing else really. Hmph. Not good.
Killed a few dragons today, once fight was ridiculous. I try to take it down, no luck. Reload earlier and do something else and later i went to same place (it seems that some places have always a dragon) and this time the fight was a cake walk. I had maybe one more level.
Love this game. It is like combination of Morrowind and Oblivion without bad stuff. Well nothing major anyway.
Anyone else noticed that AA has some issues if you stand in light and look at shadowed area? Characters get this funny "highlight".

Now to look for Dwarven Axe, Boots and Gauntlets.
It's well worth the wait, like an idiot i left mine in my amazon cart and forgot to order and they sold out so i had to fork over $40 at bestbuy and it's worth every penny.

i skimmed through stuff and once i beat the main quest ill do the whole interactive map and go collect all the books and what not, i want to do as much as i can before i have to use it.

Bungieware said:
Does anyone else like to stick two fingers up at the game design and do a 180 when you first get out into the world? They always try and guide you down a friendly path into some introductory town. I tend to head in the complete opposite direction.
i quite literally headed in the opposite direction from the first waypoint.

until i kept getting over encumbered and was forced to head that way to sell stuff.

Woorloog

Banned
styl3s said:
It's well worth the wait, like an idiot i left mine in my amazon cart and forgot to order and they sold out so i had to fork over $40 at bestbuy and it's worth every penny.

i skimmed through stuff and once i beat the main quest ill do the whole interactive map and go collect all the books and what not, i want to do as much as i can before i have to use it.
I belive it is worth the wait, but i'm worried CDON ran out of them and that's why my copy is "late". Really pissed off if they tell me "sorry, no luck, wanna get the normal version?".

commish said:
Sooooooooo is this better than Witcher 2 so far?

Lol. Two completely different games. One is a tight, semi-linear action RPG and the other is a giant, open-world, do whatever the fuck you want action RPG. Completely unfair to compare them.

And they're both AMAZING games.

KingK

yeoz said:
I'm 1h+magic until I run out of magicka, then I swap in for dual wield. seems to work ok!

That's what I'm planning to do as well. Good to hear it works well. 2.5 hours for me until I can start this game!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom