• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
BlazingDarkness said:
You're playing it wrong
Elder Scrolls games don't demand that you play them in massive sittings to complete immediately like most modern games do, it's a pick up and play game - you can accomplish a lot or very little in one sitting depending on how you like to play
They are drenched in atmosphere while allows you to just indulge yourself in some escapism for a little bit whenever you need to unwind
At least, that's how I play

Yeah, I think you definitely need to approach TES games more like a single-player MMORPG. Only disappointment awaits if your plan is to blaze through the main story in a linear fashion.

Firebrand

Goddammit, I'm trying to get into Whiterun and that Farkas guy just won't leave me alone. I thought I'd take another route, NOPE, he found me.

Timber

blahblah...blah said:
Word of advice: entering into a drinking contest with Sam at Candlehearth Hall in Windhelm leads to one of the most interesting starts to a quest I've experienced so far (essentially, it's what would happen if Game of Thrones did a Hangover inspired episode...)

I really wanted to crack on with it, but unfortunately (as anyone who's done it will know), it sort of...messes...with you a little bit, and my aim for tonight is to track down the Dark Brotherhood, so I'll have to revisit the quest at a later date. It seems AWESOME though.
This guy gets around. I found him in Whiterun.

bengraven

panda21 said:
is it just me or did they change the part from the demo significantly? from what i remember of the quakecon demo it was Bleak falls, but parts of it were different (
no dragon appearing and then flying off at the very start before you enter, the boss fight at the end was different (i think?) and when you come out its in a different area
)

Radiant Story maybe?

I didn't get a dragon at BF, unless I missed something. I had been there before, playing around the outskirts, before doing the Jarl's enchanter's quest, so maybe dragons have to be "activated" first?

I don't know.

SLV

Complistic said:
Anyone know if you can marry Lydia?

Spoiler tag your answer for others if you would.

Someone answer this man dammit ! I have grown too attached to her ;(
Always safeguarding etc, want to just tie the knot and leave her at the lovenest xD

In case anyone is interested and isn't wrapped up playing the game themselves (because they don't have it yet, like me!) Day9 is streaming and has been progressing mainly through the main quest.

Philia

Alright. Let me do this again.

Will the damage multipliers STACK for the bow?

Say I got the sneak perk x3, archer perk Overdraw, and an equipped enchanted gauntlets that allows 2h attacks do 15% more damage.

DO THESE STACK?

desertdroog

Are there any Mjolnir looking war hammers in this game? The idea of making a one handed Nord melee with electricity magic a la the God of Thunder seems relevent and crucial.

bengraven

Kids are such fucking pains in the asses in this game, as someone said. WORSE than Fallout3.

It's almost like Beth is saying "ha, you wanted kids for years, well fine, have some indestructible spoiled bastards."

I had one say something like "I don't care how big you are, you don't scare me" in the shittiest tone possible.

Zeliard said:
Do you have to progress any through the main quest before dragons start showing up?

Go to Whiterun and do a couple of Jarl's quests. Eventually you'll do the dragon fight from the original Todd Howard demo and after that dragons appear.

mxgt

Banned
Played 10 hours so far and have barely touched the main story and still have a shit load of side stuff to do.

this game

Mage is fun as hell

Teknoman

Bigger version of Bears Away!

ibqaDsSm0sZFuF.gif

EDIT: Wait...that doesnt look like a bear now that I look at it...unless its a Sabertooth bear.

Venfayth

^ holy shit

SLV said:
Someone answer this man dammit ! I have grown too attached to her ;(
Always safeguarding etc, want to just tie the knot and leave her at the lovenest xD

You can leave her there even if you haven't married her, just go to your house and then say "It's time we part ways" and then she stays there.

AFAIK anyway, I just saw her go lie down when I said that, I haven't actually gone back to my house to check on her lol

Zeliard

bengraven said:
Go to Whiterun and do a couple of Jarl's quests. Eventually you'll do the dragon fight from the original Todd Howard demo and after that dragons appear.

Good to know, thanks. Do I have to do anything in Riverwood beforehand?

Aesius

Anyone got the solution to the first Bards College quest? (puzzle in a dungeon).

I'm at Dead Man's Respite. I already got King Olaf's Verse, but now I'm trying to go through a big ornate doorway using the Dragon's Claw, but there are three rings that need to be lined up correctly to proceed. I have no idea what the solution is :(

Shoogoo

bengraven said:
It's killing me, btw. My left speaker is broken and the only headset I can find is missing stereo.

So I'm turning around and facing everyone who's talking or they're just floating subtitles with no sound.

Same. JRPGs are played to get from one cut scene to the other. WRPGs are all about being in the world and enjoying it...that's why the companies put more work into sidequests and distractions than a 20 minute CGI ending.

I said something very close to this to a friend today. Blows my mind!

Cdammen

Just started playing, three hours in. Just got my first shout... how do I use it? I've equiped it and pressed the right button but nothing happens. It says it cost 5 of something. Not stamina, right?

Also, how do I learn spells? Do I commit scrolls from one-time use to memory or is it all in the skill tree?

(Yes, I don't want to read the manual, mostly because I don't want to get spoiled... nah, I'm just lazy)

I'm playing on PC and people are really negative on the controls and UI. Yes, it is made for gamepads but it plays really well with keyboard too. I'm navigating really quickly with the WASD, E and TAB keys.

Oh, I ran into some really weird framedrop when entering that trader in Riverwood after the "shout" mission. It slowed to a crawl, like 3fps indoors, but worked great when I got outside. Memory leaks?

SLV

Acullis said:
You can leave her there even if you haven't married her, just go to your house and then say "It's time we part ways" and then she stays there.

AFAIK anyway, I just saw her go lie down when I said that, I haven't actually gone back to my house to check on her lol

But but but... is there a way to marry her ? ;(

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Two questions
1) How do I use my racial ability? I select it and then nothing happens. Note: It's Berserker Rage

2)Do companions perma die or is it like New Vegas?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I recovered the Golden Claw before even going to the first town, and now I have no idea how to recieve the quest or give it back to the shopkeeper.

mxgt

Banned
Cdammen said:
Just started playing, three hours in. Just got my first shout... how do I use it? I've equiped it and pressed the right button but nothing happens. It says it cost 5 of something. Not stamina, right?

I believe it requires something you get from dragons

Also, how do I learn spells? Do I commit scrolls from one-time use to memory or is it all in the skill tree?
?

So far I've bought my spells from vendors or found them

Aesius said:
Anyone got the solution to the first Bards College quest? (puzzle in a dungeon).

I'm at Dead Man's Respite. I already got King Olaf's Verse, but now I'm trying to go through a big ornate doorway using the Dragon's Claw, but there are three rings that need to be lined up correctly to proceed. I have no idea what the solution is :(
Is the solution on the claw itself? Look in your inventory
That's how it works for a different quest

Anteater

man I really want to try this game from all the impressions, but it's $60 and I've never played Bethesda games, open world games usually bore me after a few hours too.

Enco

6 hours logged. Wow.

Good:

- The music
- The beautiful world. Just you wait until you see a waterfall or the lights in the sky!
- Some stunning textures. The faces of NPCs are out of this world
- The missions seem good (although I've only done 2 or 3)
- So much content

Bad:

- Third person is ridiculous as always. A bit improved but still crappy and all floaty, ugly etc.
- The PC UI/controls are ridiculous. Why the heck is the right mouse button controlling the left hand?????
- I'm going to play this for faaar toooo long

Overall I'm loving the game. I'm only level 6 and have done very, very little. Won't be buying another game for a very long time. Between this and BF3 I'm set for months at the very least.

Cdammen

mxgt said:
I believe it requires something you get from dragons

So far I've bought my spells from vendors or found them
Thanks! It's kinda unclear in-game. I don't think I ever saw a prompt for any of that. Especially the shout confused me: "Hey you just got this thing doing this and you can equip it... but you can't use it. Now
fight this dude that can use it.

desertdroog

Are there any quests that change a town like the warring goblin tribes in Oblivion? Where if you help the settlers, they build a farm and you get monetary weekly benefits or somesuch?

I love it when your actions impact the environment for ill or good and there is a visible and measurable change.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just got in my first brawl with some older lady in a tavern. I beat the shit out of her and won 100 gold! Yay!

Oh, and I just realized there is a big help section in the system menu of the game. Lots of good info in there!

Enco

Zefah said:
Just got in my first brawl with some older lady in a tavern. I beat the shit out of her and won 100 gold! Yay!

Oh, and I just realized there is a big help section in the system menu of the game. Lots of good info in there!
Brawls for money?

A fighting arena alternative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom