• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woorloog

Banned
stutte said:
iE5v2BETv1kj6.gif

Courtesy of Frog'd (i think)
A-fucking-mazing! Gotta try pissing off a giant.

Xdrive05

Alik'r prisoner question:
I payed 100G to the guard but he never released him. The cell door says I need a key. The guard is saying nothing when I "talk" to him. Am I missing something here?

Thanks. :)

Woorloog

Banned
Xdrive05 said:
Alik'r prisoner question:
I payed 100G to the guard but he never released him. The cell door says I need a key. The guard is saying nothing when I "talk" to him. Am I missing something here?

Thanks. :)
Doesn't affect the quest.

LProtag

Haven't gotten the game yet as I have a Praxis exam in the morning but there's nothing really more I can study... so I'm just reading about the game, haha.

I'm getting all worried about what perks to pick up and what not.

ironcreed

Banned
Runs and plays great on the 360 and the world is glorious. I have just spent a few hours running around the Riverwood area in order to get a feel for the game and you can really feel the improvements in the combat system and gameplay in general. It just feels more fluid and natural when you move around, jump and swing weapons. Anyone who is just watching footage and thinks that the gameplay has not improved all that much is gravely mistaken. It has been tweaked and polished to a great degree and the result is Bethesda's finest playing game to date. I love it.

FHIZ

0_0

Holy mother of hell... last thing I remember is putting the game in, now it's fucking dark outside...

I.

Love.

This.

Game.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Have seen more than one person mention a choice of who to follow at start. Saw the start of the game on the kasavin stream but didn't see any choice. Can anyone say if this choice matters or not? Starting my game after work and don't want to restart if I choose wrong.

Wallach

Grr. Was doing Bleak Fall Barrows and the first Draugr I killed in there dropped an Amulet of Talos. About two steps after I looted him the power flickered and reboot my PC. I've reloaded that save like ten times and it won't drop again. Feels bad man.

Edit - Aside from that whine, I started on Master and it's been awesome. Stuff is dangerous but not impossible to kill with a little finesse. Those Draugr in BFB were a big step up over bandits, and one that had a 2h sword could have easily killed me with a second swing. Of course he didn't get the chance to land that blow because I had a... slightly used but otherwise tenacious Dunmer helping me out.

Philia

Okay I need confirmation about stacking.

I am curious if I use archery's perk bows of damage multiplier, sneak's perk multiplier AND equipment multiplier, will these stack?

Antagon

BlazingDarkness said:
Do enemies respawn? Was planning on going back through Bleack Falls Barrow but not worth it if they don't
Once you finish a dungeon it says cleared on the map screen, so I guess not.

Clevinger

LuchaShaq said:
Have seen more than one person mention a choice of who to follow at start. Saw the start of the game on the kasavin stream but didn't see any choice. Can anyone say if this choice matters or not? Starting my game after work and don't want to restart if I choose wrong.

At the beginning when the dragon attacks, both Rolaf and the Imperial dude are shouting at you to follow them. You follow one of them into different buildings for cover. I think it has an effect on your starting village, but I don't think it locks you into any path. I might be wrong though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know how to check what diseases you have contracted? I caught Rockjoint, but used a potion to (I think) cure it. I just have no idea how to confirm whether or not I still have it.

Zefah said:
Anyone know how to check what diseases you have contracted? I caught Rockjoint, but used a potion to (I think) cure it. I just have no idea how to confirm whether or not I still have it.
Go to your magic menu and it'll be listed in the 'active effects' part

LuchaShaq

Banned
Clevinger said:
At the beginning when the dragon attacks, both Rolaf and the Imperial dude are shouting at you to follow them. You follow one of them into different buildings for cover. I think it has an effect on your starting village, but I don't think it locks you into any path. I might be wrong though.
Thank you. Googling left me empty.

robin2

Played about 3 full hours.

Game world feels 1000 time better than Oblivion's, but still not as special as Morrowind.

I hate the interface and its navigation.

Weapon roster is just too limited; the game SCREAMS for spears. I'd take more weapon types over useless "cinematic final moves" any day.

Any difficulty other than the hardest felt (for the time I played) ridiculously easy; the hardest gave a "normal" challenge (as in: you go from "The Terminator" to "Competent fighter").

Health regen is too fast.

2 CTD occurred.

Found a ruin underwater. Awesome. I hope ther is much more to discover under the rippling surfaces of Skyrim.

Graphics is fine, lots of details to mask the objective limits of textures.

A couple of people on my friends list are playing this and i see, like oblivion, that it has no presence data. Sony really needs to make this standard.

What does it tell you on 360? I know for Fallout 3 it told you what level the player was at. I liked that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any tips on raising the Smithing skill? I've got a pickaxe but I don't know any good locations for ore. Does the ore respawn?

Trasher

Can someone explain to me how horses work? I bought one and when I got off of it it kept following me around and attacking enemies. Then when I entered a dungeon and finished it, my horse was nowhere to be found outside. I went back to the stables I bought it from and it wasn't there either. Is there something I'm not doing right?

Lyonaz said:
Did you also know you can adjust how far the camera is from your character in 3rd person by holding R3 and zoom in or out with leftstick. Just found this out and made my third person view like RE4. Nice!

This is great tip. Thanks!

FreeMufasa

I think i've come to realise something tonight. I don't like WRPGs. I bought Oblivion in 07 and was bored out of my mind 2 hours in. But since then I really opened up to Western games (and what I thought WRPG) and enjoyed playing games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins. I got Skyrim today and after a while I got the same feeling I had when I played Oblivion, although I can tell this game is much much better than it.

I was also overwhelmed, unbelievably. The size of the world and the amount of micro-managment available, I don't think i'll ever have the time to fully appreciate it. It looks like it'll require a huge time investment which I don't have anymore. I'll trade this in tommorow for Sonic Generations.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
in hitting the books, should i be going through every cupboard looking for the three books or will they all be together/very obvious when i find them?

Zeliard

Woorloog said:
Didn't know about the oil being flammable in this before your answer, just pointed out that nothing else is flammable, the flames are purely visual effect.

I know, that's exactly what I'm pointing out. :p

I figured your original confusion is because random stuff like furniture can in fact be lit up from your fire spells, but that they don't damage the enemy in the way that lighting oil slicks on fire does.

FreeMufasa said:
I think i've come to realise something tonight. I don't like WRPGs. I bought Oblivion in 07 and was bored out of my mind 2 hours in. But since then I really opened up to Western games (and what I thought WRPG) and enjoyed playing games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins. I got Skyrim today and after a while I got the same feeling I had when I played Oblivion, although I can tell this game is much much better than it.

I was also overwhelmed, unbelievably. The size of the world and the amount of micro-managment available, I don't think i'll ever have the time to fully appreciate it. It looks like it'll require a huge time investment which I don't have anymore. I'll trade this in tommorow for Sonic Generations.

You're playing it wrong
Elder Scrolls games don't demand that you play them in massive sittings to complete immediately like most modern games do, it's a pick up and play game - you can accomplish a lot or very little in one sitting depending on how you like to play
They are drenched in atmosphere while allows you to just indulge yourself in some escapism for a little bit whenever you need to unwind
At least, that's how I play

bengraven

Teknoman said:
The surround/positional sound is really nice in Skyrim.

It's killing me, btw. My left speaker is broken and the only headset I can find is missing stereo.

So I'm turning around and facing everyone who's talking or they're just floating subtitles with no sound.

BlazingDarkness said:
You're playing it wrong
Elder Scrolls games don't demand that you play them in massive sittings to complete immediately like most modern games do, it's a pick up and play game - you can accomplish a lot or very little in one sitting depending on how you like to play
They are drenched in atmosphere while allows you to just indulge yourself in some escapism for a little bit whenever you need to unwind
At least, that's how I play

Same. JRPGs are played to get from one cut scene to the other. WRPGs are all about being in the world and enjoying it...that's why the companies put more work into sidequests and distractions than a 20 minute CGI ending.

panda21

is it just me or did they change the part from the demo significantly? from what i remember of the quakecon demo it was Bleak falls, but parts of it were different (
no dragon appearing and then flying off at the very start before you enter, the boss fight at the end was different (i think?) and when you come out its in a different area
)

I'm sure this has been discussed here somewhere, but can someone explain how the enemy scaling system works? I completely forget how Oblivion worked.

For example, if I completely ignore the main story and focus on completing guild quest chains one at a time, then eventually go back to the main story 50 hours later, will enemies be scaled under me? At my level? Above? Will it be any easier or harder than if I charged through the main quests right away?

I would imagine that even if enemies scaled to my level, they might not scale to all of the amazing equipment and skills I picked up?

Word of advice: entering into a drinking contest with Sam at Candlehearth Hall in Windhelm leads to one of the most interesting starts to a quest I've experienced so far (essentially, it's what would happen if Game of Thrones did a Hangover inspired episode...)

I really wanted to crack on with it, but unfortunately (as anyone who's done it will know), it sort of...messes...with you a little bit, and my aim for tonight is to track down the Dark Brotherhood, so I'll have to revisit the quest at a later date. It seems AWESOME though.

Zeliard

Teknoman said:
The surround/positional sound is really nice in Skyrim.

Overall volume seems quite low, though, especially with headphones. Can it be boosted through the configs? I didn't notice audio volume commands in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom