• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I played for 8 hours, and made my final save just as I arrived in Windhelm, about to speak to somebody about the Dark Brotherhood. My aim for today was to make some substantial progress on the introductory quest for the Brotherhood. Unfortunately, out of the 6 hours I played today, bringing my total to 14 in just two days, the only thing I did along that line was speak to the person in Windhelm. The other 5 hours and 55 minutes were spent on a whole host of other things that distracted me.

I want this game to be a month old or so, so that quests have been found and I can get help with a few things (i.e. the residents of Windhelm keep mentioning a serial killer called The Butcher. Through some sleuthing and thieving, I've identified who The Butcher is and I'm sure there's a questline related to it, but I can't work out how I'm meant to trigger it!)

Pollux

how the hell do I get to the grey beards? I got to Ivarstead and now I'm running around the side of the big mountain but have no idea how to get to the top.

where do the "7000 steps" start?

Complistic

zmoney said:
how the hell do I get to the grey beards? I got to Ivarstead and now I'm running around the side of the big mountain but have no idea how to get to the top.

Right at the bottom. You probably overlooked it, there's a bridge in town that leads to them. Go bad to town and start again.

KaYotiX

Banned
Game is so good I dbl dipped on the pc and 360 version. Got it for my laptop (high settings) so when I'm away from home due to work I can start a Mage on it and play a warrior on the 360.

Just fucking wow Bethesda. I love it!!!

Loxley

Just got word that my copy of the hardcover CE strategy guide has shipped, good thing I ordered it when I did (for $23.95 no less), looks like Amazon is actually sold out of it now o_O

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Zefah said:
Just got in my first brawl with some older lady in a tavern. I beat the shit out of her and won 100 gold! Yay!
She'll join you too if you ask her now. She followed me around for like three hours before 5 spiders poured out of the side of a mountain while I was fighting two trolls. Companions can die forever I guess.

zmoney said:

if your in the city with the mountain to your left go straight you'll see a bridge heading to the mountain, down the road on the left side.

Pollux

Complistic said:
Right at the bottom. You probably overlooked it, there's a bridge in town that leads to them. Go bad to town and start again.
Looking for it now. Also there's a barrow right next to Ivarstead that has a dude pretending to be a ghost....where do I find the claw to open the door in there?

IMACOMPUTA

blahblah...blah said:
Yesterday I played for 8 hours, and made my final save just as I arrived in Windhelm, about to speak to somebody about the Dark Brotherhood. My aim for today was to make some substantial progress on the introductory quest for the Brotherhood. Unfortunately, out of the 6 hours I played today, bringing my total to 14 in just two days, the only thing I did along that line was speak to the person in Windhelm. The other 5 hours and 55 minutes were spent on a whole host of other things that distracted me.

I want this game to be a month old or so, so that quests have been found and I can get help with a few things (i.e. the residents of Windhelm keep mentioning a serial killer called The Butcher. Through some sleuthing and thieving, I've identified who The Butcher is and I'm sure there's a questline related to it, but I can't work out how I'm meant to trigger it!)

God these games are amazing.

What are people's thoughts to keeping the music on or turning it off completely?

I love the music and it really melds well with the game, but I also love a purely ambient world. Do you miss a lot of "epic" moments if you turn off the music? I am leaning that way because the ambient noise is so well done in this game.

Zeliard

Shortt Sirket said:
What are people's thoughts to keeping the music on or turning it off completely?

I love the music and it really melds well with the game, but I also love a purely ambient world. Do you miss a lot of "epic" moments if you turn off the music? I am leaning that way because the ambient noise is so well done in this game.

There are plenty of quiet moments of solitude. The music in this game is something I would never turn off. It's sublime and beautiful.

Arucardo

Crap, got the arrow bug I think. Also, I'm stuck in the main quest (bugged)
supposed to find Esbern in the sewers behind the thieves guild but when I found him he didn't unlock the door and when I managed to get him to open it he doesn't speak (skips over his dialogue)
after googling it seems to be a bug others had too :( .

Game's fucking amazing. Level 12 now, done a bunch of side quests and joined
the Dark Brotherhood

The only thing that bugs me is how the camera zooms out all far in third-person when you draw a weapon. I played Fallout: New Vegas the entire time in third-person so their "improvement" is annoying the hell out of me and I want it to stop. :(

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Phreaker said:
5:55pm, still waiting for UPS (from Amazon) /cries

I just moved to a rural area last week. Downloading between 20-195kbps on Steam...I was going to order it but no mail until Monday.

13% downloaded in 3 hours!

Jagxyz

Anyone else find the default difficulty too easy? Most common enemies (bandits, those skeleton things) die in ~3 arrows, and I'm only level 4.

bengraven

I'm holding out on the guild quests as long as humanly possible. I've also frozen the main quest. For now I'm busting my ass just running around doing side/misc quests and for the first time in an Elder Scrolls game, ENJOYING exploring random dungeons.

Loxley said:
Just got word that my copy of the hardcover CE strategy guide has shipped, good thing I ordered it when I did (for $23.95 no less), looks like Amazon is actually sold out of it now o_O
I ordered mine three weeks ago, it's in shipping soon status •bites nails•

Shane86 said:
I highly recommend joining the Companions, not as boring as they seem!

That's good to know - I never really did the Fighters' Guild in Oblivion, as it seemed a little hack and slash for me, but if there are some inventive missions and an intriguing backstory, the Companions seem worth the time. My plan for tomorrow: trek to the south-east to complete the first Dark Brotherhood related mission, then loop round to Whiterun to make some progress with the Companions before hooking back to Windhelm to report back to the Brotherhood quest-giver.

I fully expect to actually accomplish none of this.

MrToughPants

bengraven said:
I'm holding out on the guild quests as long as humanly possible. I've also frozen the main quest. For now I'm busting my ass just running around doing side/misc quests and for the first time in an Elder Scrolls game, ENJOYING exploring random dungeons.

Are the caves/ruins/dungeons more varied in appearance/layout compared to Oblivion?

Jagxyz said:
Anyone else find the default difficulty too easy? Most common enemies (bandits, those skeleton things) die in ~3 arrows, and I'm only level 4.

I briefly considered upping the difficulty, but five minutes in the Elven dungeon, along with a few giant / dragon skirmishes convinced me that it was a pleasant difficulty most of the time, and very challenging in the first situations.

CrazyDude

MrToughPants said:
Are the caves/ruins/dungeons more varied in appearance/layout compared to Oblivion?
From what I have played, yes. I am still not too far into the game, but the places I have been to have been different.

MrToughPants said:

Yeah, ridiculously so. I haven't explored as many as I would like, mainly just because I can't carry all the glorious loot that you find in dungeons at the same time, so I make regular trips to cities to shift my inventory, and then end up distracted, but each of them has its own quirks, themes, enemies, etc. None of this copy-paste generic rock dungeon nonsense.

Erudite

The PC UI definitely has room for improvement- mainly better mouse integration, but once you get a feel for how it works, it's usable.

Kinda annoying that I found out 6 hours in that hotkeys are still in the game, but you have to set them through the Favorites menu, as opposed to the inventory screen like in Oblivion. Why wouldn't they tell you that during the tutorial section =S If they did, I didn't see it.

Feels great to switch between my weapon and magic without having to pause the action.

Jagxyz said:
It gets harder, I'm about level 8 and feel Adept is the sweet spot in terms of challenge. Expert felt like I was dying in spots without any way to overcome the fight.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! This game properly reacts if you already have an item to complete a quest when you are given the quest.

Zeliard

Midou said:
Yes, having been through like 5 dungeons now, no parts seemed replicated.

It's probably the most substantial difference between the two games.

Traced-Velocity said:
The PC UI definitely has room for improvement- mainly better mouse integration, but once you get a feel for how it works, it's usable.

Kinda annoying that I found out 6 hours in that hotkeys are still in the game, but you have to set them through the Favorites menu, as opposed to the inventory screen like in Oblivion. Why wouldn't they tell you that during the tutorial section =S If they did, I didn't see it.

Feels great to switch between my weapon and magic without having to pause the action.

Yeah I think quite a few people weren't aware of the hotkeys since it doesn't seem the game ever mentions them. They work pretty smoothly, except for that one problem Exodus discovered earlier where your hotkey can be erased if you hit the same hotkey button twice for a weapon that you have 2 or more of.

Jagxyz

blahblah...blah said:
I briefly considered upping the difficulty, but five minutes in the Elven dungeon, along with a few giant / dragon skirmishes convinced me that it was a pleasant difficulty most of the time, and very challenging in the first situations.

Traced-Velocity said:
It gets harder, I'm about level 8 and feel Adept is the sweet spot in terms of challenge. Expert felt like I was dying in spots without any way to overcome the fight.

Sounds good!

Volimar

Any good streams right now? Preferably without a shit ton of commentary by the person streaming?

My broke ass is stuck living vicariously through you guys.

MrToughPants

Zeliard said:
Night & day

Yeah, ridiculously so. I haven't explored as many as I would like, mainly just because I can't carry all the glorious loot that you find in dungeons at the same time, so I make regular trips to cities to shift my inventory, and then end up distracted, but each of them has its own quirks, themes, enemies, etc. None of this copy-paste generic rock dungeon nonsense.

From what I have played, yes. I am still not too far into the game, but the places I have been to have been different.

Awesome!

One of my gripes with Oblivion, even though I really enjoyed the game, it felt bland with the cloned dungeon layout.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jagxyz said:
Too easy? Shit I died like eight times in a row and had to restart.

I picked up the quest for Azura and there was a group of magic casting enemies, most of whom were about right, but some of them were "adept" or "apprentice" level and brutalized me unless I kind of cheesed them. Then I got sent to the next part
inside Azura's Star!
and I got my teeth kicked in immediately by 3 spellcasters that seemed all way over my level simultaneously with no cover.

GhaleonEB

Random first impressions.

Enjoying it so far. The intro felt much less polished than Oblivion's, but exploring feels much better. The outdoors draw distance is great on the 360, though I've found plenty of crummy low-res textures. I'll trade that for the spectacular views though; nighttime is especially fine.

No idea where I am. I went northwest upon exiting the intro and kept going for a while. I stumbled upon a word of power, guarded by some howling wolves (great touch). Found a small house that some bandits were using as a safe house, hit a switch on the wall and am deep in a dungeon, exactly the kind of found place I wanted to do as my first. Archery feels better this time around, with arrows going where I want them to and doing satisfying damage upon impact. Melee combat is hit or miss.

I strongly dislike the finishing moves - they should have been keyed to trigger when we use a power blow to finish an enemy. Random interruptions are really jarring. I do not understand why they were set to be random rather than in our control.

Skimming the perk trees, I've got some hard decisions to make. I think I'm going the archery, alchemy, sneak, lockpick route, with one magic class I haven't settled on yet.

I'm playing one notch below the hardest setting, whatever that is. It makes combat reasonably difficult; I just got demolished by a dude with a two-handed sword deep in the lair, which was a brutal and pleasant surprise. Loot is clearly scaled but even in this first location I've found a decent amount of valuable stuff and have been able to upgrade most of my gear a notch.

The shadows on the 360 are terrible. Flickering, low-res and highly distracting. Adds a layer of real ugliness to the opening sequence.

Taking a break now that I've been hacked to death for the first time, but it's exactly what I'd calibrated myself to expect: lots of improvements over Oblivion, but it's all built from the same foundation. In every respect that matters, it's much better, so far.

Fjordson

MrToughPants said:
One of the bigger improvements they've made, IMO. Like Zeliard said, it's night and day.

I just ambled into a tavern and was able to bet this woman that she couldn't knock me out. Lmao, she actually owned me.

The diversions in this game seem to never end. So good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom